Social Justice

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Social Justice

Postby SandTea » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:11 am

NoodleFox wrote:Making fun of people online shouldn't be grounds of having my door kicked in by the police; no one is forcing you physically, mentally or emotionally to stay online - close the browser if you're offended rather than retaliating by crying to ban so and so to Papa Jack and the thought police on Twitter.

Everyone makes fun of stuff. A lot of them make fun of stuff with out death threats. Mainly, I was just reminded of what I called my Orphanage of ps4 kids. I friended the most sterotypical racist screamers and, after a convo, inevitably they said something similar to "I'm not like this in real life". I know it didn't effect their future behavior online but it was nice to know that somewhere in them they are aware that what they say is harmful and/or just for their own entertainment.

A lot of people have to be online. Especially those who would be most in the position to be made 'fun of". Thought police indeed.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby NoodleFox » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:35 am

SandTea wrote:
NoodleFox wrote:Making fun of people online shouldn't be grounds of having my door kicked in by the police; no one is forcing you physically, mentally or emotionally to stay online - close the browser if you're offended rather than retaliating by crying to ban so and so to Papa Jack and the thought police on Twitter.

Everyone makes fun of stuff. A lot of them make fun of stuff with out death threats. Mainly, I was just reminded of what I called my Orphanage of ps4 kids. I friended the most sterotypical racist screamers and, after a convo, inevitably they said something similar to "I'm not like this in real life". I know it didn't effect their future behavior online but it was nice to know that somewhere in them they are aware that what they say is harmful and/or just for their own entertainment.

A lot of people have to be online. Especially those who would be most in the position to be made 'fun of". Thought police indeed.

THIS CUP GETS IT.

I'm a little sarcastic bitch who likes to make fun of those who sit in their ivory towers and thumb their nose at the rest of society - the 'progressives' who get people fired because they said or did something that could be controversial while they turn around and collude in private chat rooms with their other cult members on how to try to gain victim status from an ex-marine who makes videos on YouTube criticizing Marvel comics.
I wish that was a lead up to a joke, but it isn't.
Same situation applied to GG, the "victims" held little meetings in their servers to go over who needed to be shut up, who needed to be weeded from the group, who needed to be raised up, all the while gloating about the lives they ruined.

I don't do that. I don't retaliate when someone criticizes me. I won't even make fun of the impaired or differently identified unless I know they're fine with being made fun of (which a lot would rather be so as to not feel "celebrated" by society for only their faults, or so sayeth online gamers and image boarders...). Everyone else below the line I set for myself to treat people well is fair game.
Even though I can be a foul-mouthed heathen troll, I still place standards on myself and I'm capable of separating the shitposter me from real-life me.

But guess which sort of person will get their voice de-platformed?

NoodleFox
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Third Person Facepalm-er

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:39 pm

The comic issue you mention, and the article you linked discusses, is interesting. Do you have any similar articles from a more reliable source? PJ Media tends to skew pretty significantly to the right, probably roughly akin to Fox. I'll take right-of-center, but I can't really trust PJ Media any more than I'd trust Fox or MSNBC.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:44 pm

If that's the comics and diversity guy, I think he's talked about it himself on his youtube channel.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby NoodleFox » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Lindvaettr wrote:The comic issue you mention, and the article you linked discusses, is interesting. Do you have any similar articles from a more reliable source? PJ Media tends to skew pretty significantly to the right, probably roughly akin to Fox. I'll take right-of-center, but I can't really trust PJ Media any more than I'd trust Fox or MSNBC.

Well I mean, you can listen to the man himself, but he's had to delete those videos in order to get his channel from getting striked (It's suspected that someone within the industry (journos and all) mass flagged a lot of his vids), so you could just type "Diversity and Comics harassment" to get commentary from other channels.

Oh, I also forgot they doxxed him, too:https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/09/marvel-dc-and-other-sjw-comic-writers-plot-to-harass-critic-at-convention/40051/
What lovely people, am I right?

NoodleFox
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Third Person Facepalm-er

Postby reallifegirl » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:58 am

So in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein news, there's been a Twitter/Facebook movement going around called "Me Too", where basically anyone who's experience sexual harassment or assault says "Me too" to show the sheer number of people who've gone through this.

I have one friend who is very much one of the nothing-is-ever-progressive-enough types of the Internet who is against this movement. Not because she thinks Harvey Weinstein is innocent or anything, but because "a five-letter hashtag cannot encompass all experiences" and "we do not owe the world our narratives".

Since it is a voluntary hashtag that is open to all yet no one is obligated to participate in, I admit that my reaction is basically:

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Learned Nand » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:05 am

reallifegirl wrote: "a five-letter hashtag cannot encompass all experiences"

I think this is probably the strength of the trend. The more it tried to encompass the specific experiences of different victims, the more exclusive it would be to people whose experiences matched those specifications. The fact that it keeps it vague means that anyone who feels they suffered from this kind of thing can say so. If the goal of the hashtag is to maximize awareness of the problem, then that kind of inclusiveness and generality is helpful.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby AboveGL » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:33 am

What's also pissed me off are some of the reactions to the male equivalent (i.e. men admitting they turned a blind eye to harassment, crossed or tested a boundary without communicating it first, or didn't believe/inadvertently held a victim responsible; needless to say, I give this the same support as the original MeToo trend). To give an extreme example: "why are our oppressors patting themselves on the back because they didn't talk over their female colleague in today's business meeting?".

No you blithering fucking idiot, that's not what these men are doing. They're actively pushing back against a toxic culture they were raised in. You know, the pushback many feminists have been asking for...?

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:55 pm

AboveGL wrote:What's also pissed me off are some of the reactions to the male equivalent (i.e. men admitting they turned a blind eye to harassment, crossed or tested a boundary without communicating it first, or didn't believe/inadvertently held a victim responsible; needless to say, I give this the same support as the original MeToo trend). To give an extreme example: "why are our oppressors patting themselves on the back because they didn't talk over their female colleague in today's business meeting?".

No you blithering fucking idiot, that's not what these men are doing. They're actively pushing back against a toxic culture they were raised in. You know, the pushback many feminists have been asking for...?

This is one of the biggest issues holding back progress, as I see it. Not just some very vocal feminists, but very vocal activists for other historically oppressed groups react with anger and often hatred towards anyone they deem as their "oppressors", even if those people are doing good. There's a loud portion (although I assume it to also be a vocal minority) of pretty much all activist groups that appear to have no other agenda but to spread anger, bitterness, and hate. The effect of this is that it becomes much easier for people in those traditionally oppressor groups to turn a blind eye if for no other reason than they don't want to invoke the wrath of someone who will target them for not being good enough, or some other ridiculous thing.

What's worse is that in today's No True Scotsman style of activism, the majority of the activists themselves, it seems to me, are being silenced by the same people. If you're a feminist who doesn't agree with the extreme feminists, or a black rights activist who doesn't agree with the most outspoken, hateful part of the movement, you're discriminated against much worse than even the traditional oppressors oppress, as far as I can see. More and more, not only are movements lead by the far end, but anyone who doesn't hold, or at least pretend to hold, those extreme views are ostracized.

The old dystopian novels told us it would be the government censoring us, but it seems the late Mr. Bradbury may have been the most prophetic. Who needs government censorship when we can censor everyone ourselves?

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:24 pm

I did see an incel ask why people weren't talking about the real issue: withholding sex.

So then there's those guys. Fucking it up for everyone.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Lindvaettr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:32 pm

sunglasses wrote:I did see an incel ask why people weren't talking about the real issue: withholding sex.

I agree. If there's one group of people responsible for all society's issues, it's women who withhold sex.

Also the government when they refuse to get me girlfriends.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Lindvaettr wrote:
sunglasses wrote:I did see an incel ask why people weren't talking about the real issue: withholding sex.

I agree. If there's one group of people responsible for all society's issues, it's women who withhold sex.

And mothers, apparently.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:15 pm

AboveGL wrote:
Lindvaettr wrote:I agree. If there's one group of people responsible for all society's issues, it's women who withhold sex.

And mothers, apparently.

Mothers obviously didn't withhold sex.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:35 pm

It's all the the fault of that evil cult of athiests inventing psychology as a way to keep the alpha males from achieving their oedipal goals, I tells ya!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Krashlia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:16 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:It's all the the fault of that evil cult of athiests inventing psychology as a way to keep the alpha males from achieving their oedipal goals, I tells ya!

(Walks in with Bible in ar- Nope walking out so the Atheists could take the heat for this one)

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext