Shy Boys IRL

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Shy Boys IRL

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Is there a way to buy a car in that analogy?

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby LaoWai » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:15 pm

Wow, this thread made me feel a lot better about myself. I mean, I'm basically celibate here, and it's not due to some conscoius decision. There are obvious reasons I'm single, and to be honest, I'm not working as much on those as I could.

At the least, though, I'm able to look at myself in the mirror and say to myself, "Young Werther, the reason you aren't winning anyone's affection is that you've basically deadened yourself to the very sort of feelings that might win affection. You're not going to be in a comforting relationship, because, frankly, you're not a comforting sort of fellow; you're not going to be cared for, because you don't care for others that much. Fancy it up as much as you like, it's not your mother's or father's or anyone else's fault; it is your own. Unrequited love is self-absorbed love."

Granted, that sort of introspection and 7RMB will only get me a bowl of fried noodles, but at least I'm not online crying that the bowl of fried noodles doesn't fulfill my needs for sex and love. They're just noodles.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:32 pm

LaoWai wrote: the bowl of fried noodles doesn't fulfill my needs for sex and love

Are you sure you're using them right?

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:13 pm

LaoWai wrote:You're not going to be in a comforting relationship, because, frankly, you're not a comforting sort of fellow; you're not going to be cared for, because you don't care for others that much.

That's very good. For myself, I'd add "How could I expect others to like me when even I don't?"

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:27 pm

aviel wrote:
LaoWai wrote: the bowl of fried noodles doesn't fulfill my needs for sex and love

Are you sure you're using them right?

Well, I did try...nope, no good way to end that thought. They do fulfill my needs for carbs and fat, though, so there's that.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby Blackfish » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:33 pm

LaoWai wrote:Granted, that sort of introspection and 7RMB will only get me a bowl of fried noodles, but at least I'm not online crying that the bowl of fried noodles doesn't fulfill my needs for sex and love. They're just noodles.

"Just noodles"? Don't be hatin', man.

But on a more serious note, agree with you 100%. I'm kind of a self-loathing cold fish myself. Not that I won't occasionally feel pangs of loneliness, but I'd be more miserable in a relationship. I think that's fine, but it's petulant to blame it on anyone but yourself.

In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
Blackfish
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: Holy Mop Master Race

Postby Matthew Notch » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:22 pm

aviel wrote:Is there a way to buy a car in that analogy?

I thought you'd never ask!

So riding a bicycle is far more a case in which you expend time and energy to get from one place to another, whereas with a car it's far more a question of finance. Hence, prostitution, or even friends with benefits perhaps. Basically, all the sex and none of the scary emotions that typically accompany it. On a bike you are very exposed to the hazards in the world, whereas in a car, an incident has to be particularly destructive to hurt. Problem is, those things happen, due to reckless drivers (promiscuous partners with STDs and/or emotional baggage), unseen hazards in the road (developing those feelings after all), or dangerous traffic conditions (a pervasive attitude that deeply misrepresents what human relationships are actually like). Any or all of these things can cause irreparable damage because that car swaps the flexibility and pollution-free ride of a committed, loving relationship with the apparent safety of a big shell around your tender flesh. So it's a mixed bag, I suppose, although I personally feel that the risks involved in a good ride far outweigh the presumed benefits of just buying a car.

Then again, there are some who are content merely to ride their stationary bikes at home, with a box of tissues at the ready. And there are motorcycles which are something else but honestly I'm really tired and this analogy is getting away from me

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:51 pm

So the lesson here is take a helicopter.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:27 pm

On a slightly related note, take a look at #1 in this Cracked article.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby D-LOGAN » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:39 pm

OrangeEyebrows wrote:thinks the government should provide him with a girlfriend and is mad because his mother refused to have sex with him:

Well.... we've all been there. *takes another swig from whisky bottle*

Last edited by D-LOGAN on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Matthew Notch » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:36 am

aviel wrote:So the lesson here is take a helicopter.

Well then we start getting into trophy wives and marrying for money and stuff, and not all of us are Mr. Moneybags over here AVIEL

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby AboveGL » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:06 am

I know I'm a little late on this (I wish I wasn't, but I almost never check this sub-forum anyway), but I wanted to mention a bit of personal experience. I'll try to make this brief.

I was curious about the mentalities behind pickup and wanted to find a source that details the fraudulent practices of the scene. This is difficult, especially as one of the best sources I found, which also raised some of the most insightful points, also went off on a women-hating angle. Anyway, during my search, I came across PUAHate.com.

I was half-expecting a goldmine of insightful criticism. Instead, the regular users are just like this government-guy in this thread, minus the following: 1) any kind of sex life, and 2) wanting to fuck their mums. Apparently, Breaking Bad is stupid because Jesse Pinkman gets some, and he shouldn't because of his large forehead. Every social interaction and relationship is only governed by looks, money and social status (which they've dubbed the "LMS" approach). During my short tenure there, I came across some of the most obnoxious and socially incompetent characters I've ever had the misfortune to cross paths with. I've also crossed paths with some of the worst PUAs in existence. The kind who, even if they weren't exaggerating about their sexual exploits, I'd never aspire to be and never have a drink with. And even they are matched by some of the posters on PUAHate.

I was going to say complete dismissal instead of learning people like this exist would have been better in this case. As it happens, both types of people need to exercise a bit of self-awareness. They are also bad role models and they can be handy.

On the subject of virginity, I think most cases really are down to a personal choice and choices include inaction. I'm single because of the lack of social exposure that hasn't been addressed (which are caused by issues of procrastination that haven't been addressed). I stopped hating myself only recently because it wasn't until then I decided to take some fucking responsibility for my mistakes and gain some self/social-awareness by posting in communities with actual people, in turn helping me deal with my various personal issues. It wasn't until the past few years that my views on relationships were healthy because I would listen to the opinions of/interact with people outside of my immediate social circles. I made the choice to avoid mistakes for several years due to fear of failure and looking like a fuckwit which further delayed any personal growth.

My point is that (like the other posters here) I've been in control of my situation and learned to accept the consequences of inaction and not piss and moan about them. I've also gained an acceptable level of self-awareness and dignity so I don't become like the two types of people I've talked about in this post.

EDIT: for the record, I'm not comparing myself to these groups and saying "Hey, these people already suck so I don't need to change!". I know the people here are smart but I'd hate for anyone to think I was trying to say that.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:49 am

AboveGL wrote: (which are caused by issues of procrastination that haven't been addressed).

Yeah, I have that problem too. I'll get to dealing with it eventually.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:21 pm

AboveGL wrote:I Apparently, Breaking Bad is stupid because Jesse Pinkman gets some, and he shouldn't because of his large forehead.

What? I'm a guy, but I always thought that Aaron Paul is a very attractive man.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:50 pm

I'd agree with you there.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep