Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

What's all the ruckus? (The Debate Subforum)

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:29 pm

Comparisons aren't equivocation. I am being asked to denounce something I apparently hold sacred. That is exactly what Christian suspects were asked to do. The fact that non christians can pass the test is the point of the test.
  • 1



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:34 pm

Nobody thought you held him sacred, at most that you liked him. Criticizing someone you like is not similar to denouncing your lord and savior. And there's no threat of torture and violence, not even getting banned. If you don't denounce him, people will criticize you. This is to be expected in an argument, and you made this thread with the intention of starting one. You want us to reject liberal media, so I by your logic, I could say that it's you who wants me to trample the cross. But I don't say that because I don't think that it's a valid comparison on any level.
  • 2

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
User avatar
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3316
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Hungary
Show rep

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:36 pm

I'm not sure I'm supposed to be the person telling you this, but the phrase "singing the praises of" is literally a reference to worship. If the metaphor is allowed in one direction, it's allowed in the response.
  • 2



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:50 pm

Let's everyone calm down and remember to keep it civil.

ACL, the title of the thread was changed because it was inaccurate, inflammatory, and not within the guidelines of the forum. There was also some confusion as to the actual point of your thread because of the way it set up. That's not to say that there isn't a legitimate conversation to be had about the topic.

I don't think anyone is seriously trying to blame Milo for what happened, but they are pointing out the coincidence and draw parallels to what he was threatening and what later occurred. He is in no way responsible, but he's still a scumbag.
  • 4

User avatar
IamNotCreepy
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Inside the "Cone of Uncertainty"
Show rep
Title: The Yeast of Thought and Mind

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby gisambards » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:58 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:It's pretty ridiculous to trust them on it while still saying you're aware of their biases, especially when they hide behind anonymity and bad wording. That's pretty much covered under "Everything else they do is suspect and ridiculously, obviously biased".

I don't trust the media, in general. The trick is to read widely and be aware of each source's individual biases.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Also, I'm getting pretty annoyed by the idea that "I'm conservative so I attack liberals".

Imagine how everyone else feels with the idea that "we're liberals so we attack conservatives". Your presumption that I must be a rabid American liberal who trusts CNN because I disagree with how you've carried on here is generally inaccurate, in that I'm a British Tory who fairly openly considers CNN just as bad as and in some ways worse than Fox News.
The fact is, you seem to be misremembering how previous political discussions you've had here went. When you complained about CNN, you actually had quite a lot of people here agreeing with the crux of your argument, myself included - you alienated people by being rude, not by criticising the sacred cow you seem to imagine CNN is here. Similarly with your argument on WikiLeaks, where you actually had some very good points I and I'm sure many other hadn't considered, but of course you were unable to convince anyone because you couldn't help insulting the unconvinced rather than trying to engage with them.
Stop blaming the consistent failings in your argument style when it comes to political discourse on the people here being liberal. You're not the only conservative here, even if conservatives here are in the minority. Try actually engaging with the people you disagree with for once, and you'll see that there's far less of a reason to be angry at people here than you think there is.
  • 8

User avatar
gisambards
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:45 pm
Show rep

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:59 pm

Did the mods know there is a trump shitpost thread with no topic and no moderation literally called "President Trump Makes himself a Bigger asshole" two threads down.
Another gem "Erdogan Vows to Drive Teetering Turkish Economy Over Edge" is pretty clearly not meant to be unfair or inflammatory and is well sourced, isn't it.

It's pretty clear from the moderation that editorialized titles or sarcastic titles shitting on the subject aren't allowed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also Gis, you'd have a point if I hadn't had a spirited defence of the concept of writing about extra icecream as a dictatorial indicator from Tess. Or multiple "talk shit, get hit" responses to the CNN article. Or that time people unironically posted a gawker article and couldn't answer a single question about what James Damore actually said because of the fact that sources were stripped from it and they couldn't admit that simple fact. Like three people against him had even read a word of the actual source. You could tell because the people who were being nice didn't get a single actual response either.
  • 1



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby Marcuse » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:39 pm

It is precisely because of those threads that we want to intervene to cut off any new titles we think are a problem. If you think those titles are bad then it's hypocritical to then complain about us changing a comparable title which has just been created.

Speaking personally, seeing a title like it was before would be completely misleading to me and I wouldn't have had a clue that it was about the shooting in Maryland. I actually wasn't even aware there was a controversy surrounding Milo in relation to this either. You know, other than the obvious veil of controversy he likes to weave about him and wear like a cloak. But specific to this, I had no idea, nor do I care.

I am sympathetic to the concept that the media has suffered a devaluation in its social value in recent years (like, the last couple of decades). I find my media is increasingly insular and reporting to a smaller base of interested people rather than a broad base of generally interested observers who may not have prior investment in the issue. I have observed several specific instances of information from political speeches being altered or misreported in a way that suggests something the content being reported on does not. I've mentioned some of them previously elsewhere.

There is a problem of politicians taking a stance against the media and claiming any negative story is "fake news", in all circles. This is because it's politically convenient for governments and individual politicians to denigrate the media further when it suits their purposes and keeps their base listening to them. What we have a problem with in the media is the insularity of reach media organisations are indulging in. As Gis mentioned, a good antidote to the bias inherent to all media is to read widely, but that's less and less attractive when the media itself is tailoring its content at a specific audience and that ain't you. Social media is doing the same thing, with ad targeting and content targeting having the unintended consequence of creating echo chambers on every page, where people are only ever shown what they agree with already. In trying to sell us shit better, technology has ensured that they only show us things we agree with already, and so we don't challenge what we already think.
  • 10

User avatar
Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 6444
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm
Show rep

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby Krashlia » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Am Newbie to this thread. I'm thinking the shooter is a terrorist of sorts, but only because his reasons for shooting had something to do with policy even though it seems to really be about settling a personal, narcissistic score.


What I'm saying is, "Guys...? Guys!... GUUUUUYS!... Stop fighting! The reasons for the shooting had little to do with National politics, Trump, Maxine Waters, or Milo. Therefore, we have little reason to place the fault on these factors for what had occurred here.

In less than two seconds, we all got wrapped up in a narrative before the facts even got out. And maybe we should all just back off, unscrew ourselves from whatever they said (whoever "they" are), and caaaaalm dooooown.
  • 0

User avatar
Krashlia
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1803
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:44 am
Show rep

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Krashlia wrote:Am Newbie to this thread. I'm thinking the shooter is a terrorist of sorts, but only because his reasons for shooting had something to do with policy even though it seems to really be about settling a personal, narcissistic score.


Where are you getting that from? All I could find information about is the personal grudge part.
  • 0

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
User avatar
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3316
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Hungary
Show rep

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby Krashlia » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Personal thing from another website. Every time something like this happens, theres always a question of whether this is a terrorist attack or not, and usual yelling about "Islamist terror!" or "They'll never call a White guy a terrorist!"
So now, I like to make it clear whether I think its a terrorist attack or not ("just" a mass killing), and why.
  • 0

User avatar
Krashlia
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1803
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:44 am
Show rep

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:03 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:I attack liberals because they're the ruling party socially, and thus the party that can and do the most harm socially. Political control isn't insidious like cultural control is. It doesn't need to be called out nearly as much, and the parties flip every 8 years at most and every year at best, so obviously that bullshit is working. I attack liberals because this forum is filled with them. I don't attack conservatives here because DO WE EVEN HAVE ANY THAT POST?


What happens when political control has influence and is influenced by the culture. Specifically the culture of the ruling party? Oh wait that's how things work and always have. So what are you talking about?

I quoted what I quoted because it reads to me like you attack liberals. And do so because this forum is filled with them. After mentioning how insidious cultural control is and how liberals are able to do the most harm socially.

That's beyond poking fun at something or having a problem with an individual user or a group of us. You're basically saying you're here to start trouble. Feel free to correct me as necessary.
  • 2

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 6214
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:05 pm

I attack liberals because they're the ruling party socially, and thus the party that can and do the most harm socially. Political control isn't insidious like cultural control is. It doesn't need to be called out nearly as much, and the parties flip every 8 years at most and every year at best, so obviously that bullshit is working. I attack liberals because this forum is filled with them. I don't attack conservatives here because DO WE EVEN HAVE ANY THAT POST?


I get it, you attack liberals because they're the "bad guys." You never take anything anyone here says seriously unless they are anti-liberal like you are. You think you're objective but your thinking is black and white. It's impossible to take anything you say seriously because it's hate-mongering. The point of this thread is not even remotely clear from your first post. Or your other posts. The only thing I know with certainty is you think the media is beneath contempt and subhuman. By extension, everyone who works in a media job must be also. I stick by what I said in my earlier post. Journalists are human beings and are worthy of respect when they do their job well. Saying they are all scum is no different than saying "all cops are scum" just because corruption exists in some parts of the police force.
  • 5

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9577
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby Marcuse » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Here's a nice little summary of what my media is saying about why the guy did this:

BBC wrote:Investigators say Jarrod Ramos had a "long-standing grievance" with the newspaper.

The defendant had sued the Gazette for defamation over a 2011 column that reported on his guilty plea to criminal harassment of a woman over social media.

He lost the case in 2015.

In the harassment case, Mr Ramos reportedly received a 90-day sentence but avoided jail time and was ordered to get therapy.

Police said Mr Ramos had made threatening comments online in May 2013 against the Gazette.

But the newspaper had declined to pursue charges, not wishing to "exacerbate" the situation, he added.


No mention of Milo to be found. I don't know how it's even possible to claim that Milo is responsible for something that seems to date back to before 2011?
  • 2

User avatar
Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 6444
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm
Show rep

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby Windy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Tesseracts wrote:The media is not scum. The press has an essential place in society, they bring us information and provide a check on government power. They expose us to issues we would be unaware of otherwise and have the power to change our lives for the better. Journalism is a difficult, dangerous, and respectable job which pays less and less each year. Also, I'd like to know what mental hoops you have to jump through to shit all over the media while singing the praises of the journalist whose name rhymes with Yilo Miannopoulos.


Journalist brains literally operate on a lower functional level than normal people and they're drunk all the time and less people trust them every year.
  • 0

User avatar
Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3032
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 11:41 am
Show rep

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:26 pm

Theoretically, it's possible - the guy hated the newspaper for years, yet he only resorted to violence after Yiannopoulos advocated the murder of journalists. But that's just sophistry, I don't think for a moment that Yiannopoulos influenced this man's thinking.
  • 1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
User avatar
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3316
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Hungary
Show rep

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests