Two sides of feminsim told through 90s country songs.

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Two sides of feminsim told through 90s country songs.

Postby tinyrick » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:36 pm

I was going through a nostalgic phase and found two songs that perfectly describe the two-sided coin of feminism.

First up: the one that makes womenists and such look bad:

Next up: the video that makes the feminazis look like the good kind of nazi:

The first video is all the double standards that men face in the dating world. The next one, by Mary Chapin Carpenter is basically about how women are supposed to do housework and be happy with it.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Re: Two sides of feminsim told through 90s country songs.

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:23 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby cmsellers » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:23 pm

I knew there was a reason I liked Mary Chapin Carpenter and not Shania Twain.

And here I was just thinking it was because Carpenter is less pop-influenced.

Also, here you go, Jeff.

Incidentally, "Goodbye Earl" is the only Dixie Chicks song I've heard that I like.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:35 am

I just want to say Shania Twain (or at least, the person she represents on stage) is a vapid twit. Also, we can't talk about country women of the 90's without playing some Faith Hill:

No feminism, no misandry - just folks kissin' each other upside the face! There's just the one bit:

Cinderella said to Snow White, "how does love get so off course,"
"All I wanted was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse."

Not a lot to ask of a man, compared to Ms. Twain's list of demands!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby JamishT » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:51 am

And then there's Carrie Underwood Feminism:

If your Dad verbally abuses you, let him die in a tornado:

If your husband cheats on you AND his mistress, go ahead and kill him with her:

But if he cheats on just you, you should only vandalize his beloved truck, of course:

And finally, if your husband drunkenly beats you, poison his whiskey.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:12 am

Here's a list of "girl power" country songs from the 90's.

One I like:

Double standards are not OK in any relationship!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby 52xMax » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:33 pm

You already know how I feel about feminism, so I won't get into that here, but how can there be a thread about 90s country music without Martina McBride?

I know this song is not from the 90s, but it kinda fits the theme better.

And of course, the angelic voice of Alison Krauss

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:59 pm

In college I took an elective called "Religion and Popular Culture" which analyzed religious themes in popular culture, but also popular culture AS religion.

One of the books we read was Redneck Liberation. It explores religious themes in country music, but also music as a form of religion (Hank Williams is Old Testament, Garth Brooks is New Testament).

It talks a lot about country music as Liberation Theology. As part of that, we discussed feminism in country music. We watched the "Goodbye Earl" video and discussed the backlash against the Dixie Chicks after the London incident. We also watched a documentary about it, Protesting the Dixie Chicks.

It was an interesting class.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby tinyrick » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:33 pm

IamNotCreepy wrote:In college I took an elective called "Religion and Popular Culture" which analyzed religious themes in popular culture, but also popular culture AS religion.

One of the books we read was Redneck Liberation. It explores religious themes in country music, but also music as a form of religion (Hank Williams is Old Testament, Garth Brooks is New Testament).

If country music is a religion where Hank Williams is Old Testament and Garth Brooks is the New Testament, then Justin Moore is the Anti-Christ. ie. divorced from all semblance of a soul and only used to make money.

Case in point:

This song is basically a non-parody of the parody: It was supposed to be a parody, then an actual country song got written about stupid ass city boys that didn't know how to kill animals for food and sich.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:30 pm

tinyrick wrote:I was going through a nostalgic phase and found two songs that perfectly describe the two-sided coin of feminism.

First up: the one that makes womenists and such look bad:

Next up: the video that makes the feminazis look like the good kind of nazi:

The first video is all the double standards that men face in the dating world. The next one, by Mary Chapin Carpenter is basically about how women are supposed to do housework and be happy with it.

I LIKE THE FIRST ONE! It's ballsy. Lady knows what she wants and'll settle for nothing less Damn It! You don't like that fellas, hit the bricks! I respect that. I mean ... I wouldn't date someone that demanding, but I admire the forthrightness.

Oh and and as for the whole double-standards in dating in stuff, well at the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned, double-standards, triple-standards, quadruple-standards whatever, only have whatever power over you that you give them. Other people's expectations outside of the law or company codes/practices what have you or certain extreme situations in a free society, are just that, other people's expectations. If you're not beholden to them, you're not beholden to them. If you have the choice, and there's plenty of people in this world who don't have such freedom, but if you do, then it's on you.

Like a few weeks back I was up in town and there was this lad walking around in a french maid's outfit. Just walking about, casual as you like, window shopping and whatnot, not a bother on him. And I was like "fuck yeah", now there's a dude who doesn't give a shit what anybody else thinks. Now in all fairness, maybe he was crazy, or maybe, JUST MAYBE, he was onto something.

Not that I wanna walk around in a french maid's outfit or anything ... cause I don't ... I'm just saying, if I did I would ... but I don't.

Anywho as to the aul country and westerns, well what can I say except, these days it aint easy being a girl in a country song:

Yeah baby.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby 52xMax » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:16 pm

tinyrick wrote:If country music is a religion where Hank Williams is Old Testament and Garth Brooks is the New Testament, then Justin Moore is the Anti-Christ. ie. divorced from all semblance of a soul and only used to make money.

I think there's a good case to be made for Hank Williams being God, what with all the father, the son, and the holy abomination.

And I thought Garth Brooks was the Antichrist, or at least his Chris Gaines persona is the false prophet.

But I guess I'm more of a Highwaymen kinda guy. And if Johnny, Willie, Waylon and Kris are the four horsemen, then I'm all about them Revelations and shit.

IamNotCreepy wrote:As part of that, we discussed feminism in country music. We watched the "Goodbye Earl" video and discussed the backlash against the Dixie Chicks after the London incident. We also watched a documentary about it, Protesting the Dixie Chicks.

If you haven't, you should watch "Shut up and sing", the 2006 documentary that followed the Dixie Chicks during the backlash they got following some statements against George W, back when protesting the president was not nearly as cool as it is today.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 pm

You know what, I think that was actually the one we did watch.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind