Is Clean Eating Orthorexia?

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Is Clean Eating Orthorexia?

Postby cmsellers » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:35 am

IamNotCreepy wrote:Cutting out processed foods and things like soda can do wonders for your health, but going all out raw is probably only negligibly better than eating mostly "clean".

Eating all raw food is actually incredibly un-healthy, because humans have co-evolved with fire. Richard Wrangham does a great job of explaining how difficult it is to get suitable nutrition out of raw food in Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human. And since I know that someone making a joke about the title is inevitable, I'll beat y'all to it: raw foodism is the real hunger games. Raw foodists who survive long-term do so by intense processing (usually beating, grinding, and/or acid) which replicates the effects of cooking, but with a lot more effort.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Absentia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:26 am

I guess the next step is co-evolving with high fructose corn syrup. I'll crack another Pepsi for the cause.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:39 am

Absentia wrote:I guess the next step is co-evolving with high fructose corn syrup. I'll crack another Pepsi for the cause.

There actually is some evidence that white people (I would assume this also applies to other ethnic groups with a long history of farming) have evolved to be less prone to diabetes than people like Bedouins, Amerindians, and Pacific Islanders who haven't been eating a lot of simple carbs for as long a period. We're certainly less prone to it than those ethnic groups. So keep drinking your soda: either you'll die or you'll pass on your beetus-proof genes for the betterment of the master race.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:48 am

cmsellers wrote:So keep drinking your soda: either you'll die or you'll pass on your beetus-proof genes for the betterment of the master race.

Oh, right, the passing on genes thing. There's always a catch.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:09 am

Absentia wrote:I guess the next step is co-evolving with high fructose corn syrup. I'll crack another Pepsi for the cause.

People have some pretty crazy standards when it comes to food and drink; the whole raw vegan thing, for example, is just flat out nuts to me (coincidentally, that's also a large part of such a diet, I think). What I'm trying to say is, my threshold for trying too hard to eat healthy/good isn't all that high.

BUT TO SAY YOU'RE GOING TO PURPOSEFULLY DRINK A PEPSI? That's just hating yourself. Have some standards, and drink a Coke.

(I'm not all that serious, Pepsi just isn't as good to me)

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 am

You're both wrong. The only soda worth drinking is Wolf Cola, official drink of the Jews in Boca Raton.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:23 am

JamishT wrote:

People have some pretty crazy standards when it comes to food and drink; the whole raw vegan thing, for example, is just flat out nuts to me (coincidentally, that's also a large part of such a diet, I think). What I'm trying to say is, my threshold for trying too hard to eat healthy/good isn't all that high.

BUT TO SAY YOU'RE GOING TO PURPOSEFULLY DRINK A PEPSI? That's just hating yourself. Have some standards, and drink a Coke.

Spoiler: show

(I'm not all that serious, Pepsi just isn't as good to me)

Both of ya are crazy, the superior cola is Dr.Pepper!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Lindvaettr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:02 pm

To be fair to everyone involved, Taylor is clearly drinking a zero calorie Diet Coke in that gif. As someone who pounds zero calorie soda like water and will certainly die of some type of cancer in the next 7-8 days because of all the artificial sweeteners pumping through my liver and kidneys, I can assure you that this is the superior choice to either Diet Pepsi or Coke Zero. However, as Deathclaw says, the superior choice is Dr. Pepper. Diet, in my case. Wolf Cola is a good option, too, but I find it's really at its best when used as a refreshing way to wash down a nice egg.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Previous