Comedy is dead

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Comedy is dead

Postby SandTea » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:02 am

NPR tweets out the declaration of independence. trump supporters react to the fake news.

one twit wrote:"This is why you're going to get defunded," user [redacted] tweeted at NPR. "Seriously, this is the dumbest idea I have ever seen on twitter. Literally no one is going to read 5000 tweets about this trash."

Top aid to the popes advisor arrested at vatican appartment during drug filled gay orgy.

article wrote:Police were reportedly tipped off by neighbors, who complained of unusual behavior and "a constant coming and going" from the apartment.

Phrasing!

article wrote:The newspaper described the pope as "enraged," and said the aide was first taken to a clinic and hospitalized to detox from the drugs he had used, and "is currently in retreat at a convent in Italy."

well that sounds familia-

article wrote:This scandal comes on the heels of Cardinal George Pell's return to Australia to defend himself against charges related to multiple historical sex crimes. Pell, a top adviser to the pontiff, is the highest-ranking church official to face abuse allegations.

-r ...there it is

These are not headlines from The Onion but they sure could be. How am I supposed to mock people when they do such a good job of it themselves!?

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Re: Comedy is dead

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:08 am

Easy there, Nietzsche.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:51 am

Honestly, I get the Declaration of Independence thing. If I missed the first tweet explaining what they were doing and tuned in somewhere in the middle when they tweeted a less memorable passage, I might have failed to recognize the Declaration and misunderstood what NPR was on about as well.

Of course, I like to think I would have checked NPR's Twitter page to determine the context if I was confused, but if my initial impression dovetailed with my preexisting opinion of NPR I can't say I know for certain that I wouldn't just go with that initial impression.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:02 am

Obnoxiously ignorant people are the ambient background noise of the internet. Given enough visibility, there is literally nothing you could tweet that wouldn't receive some kind of misguided backlash. Why is this news?

The story about the Vatican, now that's funny.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:08 am

This thread's title is misleading at best; Larry The Cable Guy is very much alive!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:01 am

Meh, I've said it before, the whole comedy fad is almost burnt out, tragedy on the other hand, that's where the real money is these days.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:26 am

JamishT wrote:This thread's title is misleading at best; Larry The Cable Guy is very much alive!

Spoiler: show

Looks like somebody misspelled "Git R Dun".

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:40 am

Cpt._Funkotron wrote:Easy there, Nietzsche.

Sorry, (also to the rest who said stuff) I should have been more specific.

Comedy is dead! Long live comedy!

I was tryna get at like, if reality is absurd how does one craft an absurd reality? I can empathize (albeit, not in the way they mean) with folk who bitch about late night comics only talking about trump, since they only have to repeat his literal words to make a joke. I heard that joke the first time, even if the 'comedian' didn't know he was telling one.

It feels like regular news commentary jokes just can't work anymore. These are weekend update stories from a SNL character yet they're not. I'm just slowly going insane, pardon me.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby JamishT » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:54 am

Crimson847 wrote:
JamishT wrote:This thread's title is misleading at best; Larry The Cable Guy is very much alive!

Spoiler: show

Looks like somebody misspelled "Git R Dun".

I feel bad for not noticing that misspelling. Sorta.

Don't get me wrong, I love blue-collar comedy, but Larry just doesn't tickle my funny bone most of the time. I have been known to unironically let loose a "Git-R-Dunnnnnn!" in my day though.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:58 am

I think this is just a natural development arising from the ever-quickening speed of information. In the olden days not a lot got around, it was easier to keep one's dumb shit out of the limelight. If Trump came to power in the 1930's or something, practically no one would have any idea what the guy is actually like, all they'd get are the newspapers and the occasional heavily scripted radio broadcast. One might catch a glimpse of him at a parade, but you sure as hell wouldn't have widely distributed photographs of his fat ass in golfing shorts. There wouldn't be a way for a deranged narcissist to shout so loud that the entire country could hear him from his shitter at three in the morning. With modern technology, now there is.

Same with the Vatican. That shit's been happening forever. If you think drug fueled orgies are a new development, pick up a book on the history of the catholic church, 14th century Avignon was apparently the depravity capital of the world when it was occupied by the papacy.

It's not that life is getting more absurd, it's that life has always been absurd, and with our expanding ability and understanding, we can more fully appreciate that absurdity. So kick back, tip your wait staff, use your turn signals, get some good exercise in now and again, and enjoy the mortal coil as it slinkies endlessly down the universal escalator.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep