The Turble Show # 2: Hellooooo Nurse

Podcasts by TCS members, particularly the Turrble show, which isn't terrible at all.

Moderator: Learned Nand

The Turble Show # 2: Hellooooo Nurse

Postby Matthew Notch » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:15 pm

Please enjoy this, the second installment of our podcast, The Turble Show, in which the lovely sunglasses joins us for a chat and answers some of your pressing and dire questions.

Segment 1: If it hasn't become apparent yet, when we're on Skype it's possible to type messages as well while you're connected. This is the emoticon that disturbs me (Notch) so very much...

The Awful Emoticon.png

Also remember that the Skype animates it to shake its tongue back and forth... maybe it's just me

Segment 2: This is Aviel's first segment with us, and from the looks of things, probably won't be the last one!

Segment 3: Please don't ask me how I ended up on The Stanley Cup while browsing Urban Dictionary one time. As it turns out, the particular definition I had found has since been stricken from the entry. Here you go!

Segment 4: Debate rages on as to whether My Immortal is actually an attempt at literature or a troll. I (Notch) fall firmly on the side of troll, just because of little things like, for example, her character's name, Dementia. Hey, and now there's a series based on it!

Also, Amy Lee is the dramatic lead singer of Evanescence.

Segment 5: Again, send your segments to jugularnotch@yahoo.com, whether you attach the files in an email or link to a private sound on SoundCloud. Remember, though: if you put it up on SoundCloud, please make it downloadable!

Segment 6: Note the hotness of young Angela Lansbury.

Angela Lansbury is fiiiiine.jpg

Talk about helloing your nurses

Thank you for your support! Join us again. And now, SOUNDTRACK!

1. Every Place is a House by Maps and Atlases
2. Collapse by Sparta
3. Deep Sleep by Tundra
4. Stars by Ulrich Schnauss
5. On the Corner by The Letter E
6. Tearing in My Heart by Sunny Day Real Estate
7. Thank You for the Venom by My Chemical Romance
8. Loving You by Minnie Riperton
9. Ascension by GoatSucker (thanks Nudge!)
10. Riot Rhythm by Sleigh Bells
11. Stand Fast by The Slant

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Re: The Turble Show # 2: Hellooooo Nurse

Postby Matthew Notch » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:17 pm

Forgot to mention: click here if you want to download for listening later: http://soundcloud.com/tcsdotorg/the-tur ... helloooooo

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:03 pm

I am listening. Which one of you sounds sorta like Penn Jillette? (Edit: It's JT.)

Oh my God, Avi sounds just like I thought he would! His voice is yummy and soothing... like chocolate cake!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Learned Nand » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:00 am

I go by Avi. I don't hate that.

Some thoughts though:

The hosts are plenty humorous and amicable, but really need a topic or topics of discussion to be set beforehand. Write down the beat and follow it. Doods, Lind, and I were potentially planning a political conversation segment. Obviously that would be more serious, so for the normal hosts, it would be great to hear them talk about specific pop cultural events or items a la After Hours. That's just a recommendation though, if you all have other ideas, go for it.

I don't know who that guy was who was talking about the ACA, but we should definitely listen to him, he seems pretty bright.

Bert wasn't talking about what I was. That's much more traditional insurance company dickishness of the style "we might have to actually do our jobs if we cover you, and that would cost money, so go away."

Onions make your eyes cry because they released a compound that mixes with your eye fluids to create sulfuric acid. This is a simple chemical process basically independent of any biology, so chewing on something isn't going to make a difference.

The "Ask a Nurse" section was excellent, and I'd definitely like to see more "Ask a Nurse" or "Ask an $occupation" or "Ask a $minority" segments. It was directed, humorous, and informative. Basically, just start taking threads in the great library and make segments out of them.

I did not know that Risperidone increased carbohydrate craving, but holy shit does that explain my diet while I was on it. Luckily I no longer need it.

Pressure waves on the level of 180+ decibels can kill you. A rocket taking off is 180 decibels. So a skrillex song would need to be about that loud.

Great, now I won't be the first suspect when I kill and eat George Clooney this week.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby JamishT » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:08 am

I like the Urban Dictionary definitions for my name...

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:53 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby JamesT » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:44 am

aviel wrote:Great, now I won't be the first suspect when I kill and eat George Clooney this week.

Whenever something happens to George Clooney I'm always the number one suspect. They have my picture posted around every movie shoot he's on.

DamianaRaven wrote:I am listening. Which one of you sounds sorta like Penn Jillette? (Edit: It's JT.)

Oh my God, Avi sounds just like I thought he would! His voice is yummy and soothing... like chocolate cake!

... Oh god. Now I can't unhear it.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby Bert » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:49 am

TCSers, I need your help. In order to keep our ambitious title of "The Comment Section" we need some stuff to comment on. In order to provide that sweet, sweet comment fodder, please PM me links to stupid, weird, or funny news to read in the show.

What am I looking for? The rediculous things that people do. Stuff that gets someones name in a Cracked article. If some guy is peeping on women from inside a porta potty, I want to know about it. If Amsterdam starts a program that employs chronic alcoholics to clean the streets, and pays them in beer, link me that shit. Except not those links. I have those already.

The only condition is no death. If some idiot jumps into the polar bear enclosure at the zoo and gets mauled, I can only use the story if he lives. I will still laugh about it if he dies, as should you, but it would be in poor taste to do so publicly.

Contributors will be credited on show for linking me the story. Thanks in advance for making the show terrible only because we are all terrible people and not because the podcast itself is terrible.

Last edited by Bert on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Condoms are a sign of a bad relationship." -Kate

"We have been here a while. We are not clean people." -Typical Michael
Bert
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Show rep

Postby Typical Michael » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:18 am

I said it in IRC, and I will say it here:

Bert sounds like S.W.A.I.M.

Try to unhear it.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby 52xMax » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks to this podcast I am aware that My Immortal exists. I didn't get to read the fanfic, but I'm still calling Poe's Law. I did watch the web series, though, and it's actually a parody of that thing that migh or might not be a parody itself. It's funny...ish.

Anyway, what did I get out watching it? This awesome monkees/Iron Maiden mash-up that plays in one of the episodes.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Cordslash » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:05 am

I was thinking that we need to move the Turble Show ( and perhaps other podcasts) out of the Other section. It's wasted here.
Suggestions?

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby sunglasses » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:27 am

Make it its own section? Or add it to 'Things From the Web?' I'm not real sure, though.

I do think there should be a "suggested topics" thread as in: what do you want these lovely people to talk about?

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby 52xMax » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:33 am

I'd say yes on the TCS podcast subforum, with a thread for each episode like it's been done so far, but also a couple of threads for suggestions/submissions and general discussion.
It would also help to promote the podcast if every time an episode was released it had a global announcement and/or a general PM to all users.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby w00 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:23 am

I haven't listened yet, but Notch (Jugs!) is a suprisingly talented DJ-sounding guy, kudos.

I am just remembering that I never did comment on the first podcast either, for shame.

I'll resolve that.

However, this post it concerning the location of this topic.

My executive decision is thus:

Moving Content into Media, and renaming "Other" to "Podcasts".

That'll clear up the front page a bit, making it shorter, and I think will give a more logical layout to it too.

Any thoughts?

Some drink from the fountain of knowledge, while others merely gargle.
--
There are 4 boxes to use in the defence of liberty:
1) soap, 2) ballot, 3) jury, 4) ammo.
Use in that order.
w00
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Wrote the Turing test