Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Spoiler Review

Got a story you want to be featured on the front page / portal?

Here's where it gets done.

Moderator: Learned Nand

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Spoiler Review

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:32 am

Finally got to see it because I exist in a state of constant slowness proportional to when everyone else is enjoying things and how much so. I loved the hell out of it, had a great time. My father and I both gave it a solid 8 out of 10.

The parallels to the first film got a bit laughable, but I have to believe that echoing so many of the iconic moments was a way of getting everybody back into the Star Wars universe; reminding us of what it meant and why we cherished the original trilogy so much before later films hopefully start making major deviations from the formula. I could be wrong, and history will either vindicate me or not, but that's what I believe at this moment.

I'm really glad Phasma is going to gain more prominence. Not just because she's a woman per se, but because I feel it'd be quite interesting to have a major villain going against the heroes who's wielding projectile weaponry and pure physical skill instead of a lightsaber and Force sensitivity. That's something we haven't really gotten to see in Star Wars yet -- the closest was Jango Fett in the second prequel, and that was too Lucas'd up to leave an impact. I envision a pretty cool final fight with her whenever that time comes. Character development would also be pretty nice while they're at it, because as cool as she looked and acted, her personality was a little flat.

Spinny is dead, long live Spinny.

Anyone pumped for Rogue One? A Star Wars movie with Mads Mikkelsen can only be great.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:31 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Beernpotatoes » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:13 pm

1. great article. I agree with almost everything and it was well written. Thanks!.

2. You left out something I found odd about the film. The death star/star killer is a giant butt, complete with a giant, planet destroying butthole. Look at this picture. Turn it 90 degrees and tell me it's not an ass. Because it's an ass. http://s2.postimg.org/p2k79lmi1/starkiller.png

Can't a guy screw someone out of an honest buck without getting a big hassle?
Beernpotatoes
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Location: In the back, toward the bathrooms, where I can scope out the women.
Show rep

Postby Vistico » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:16 pm

My main criticism of the film was that it felt like I was watching a film that knew it had two sequels coming. I feel like it should've had a self-contained arc plus some open questions for future films to answer.

To me, the main character should've been Finn and his journey from Stormtrooper to traitor to Resistance fighter because one simply doesn't abandon a post without consequence. Yeah we got the fight with "Traitor!" trooper which was great but maybe Captain Phasma should've been the ultimate confrontation in this film and use her death via Finn to symbolize his freedom from the First Order. Let Rey be more of a supporting character who gets the main character treatment in the following films (with Finn moving to supporting).

The Starkiller base felt unnecessary to make as a superweapon. It was presented so matter-of-factly that I felt no menace from it like I did with the Death Star. I wanted to believe when I saw it that the world was actually hollow, housing the First Order's fleet and ship-building yards...like they weren't quite ready for prime time yet in the galaxy.

The film would've worked fine as a caper of sorts: who's going to find Luke Skywalker first? But I guess it's not Star Wars if something huge isn't blowing up. :D

Vistico
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Previous