The Revised Editorial Process

Got a story you want to be featured on the front page / portal?

Here's where it gets done.

Moderator: Learned Nand

Re: The Revised Editorial Process

Postby JamishT » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:08 am

Hey, I always provide my own images and captions! I just need you to resize all my pictures...

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby LegionofShrooms » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:51 am

Out of curiosity, how exactly does one to about becoming an editor for said articles? Is there an application process? Does someone just show up and start doing the job without consulting anyone in the hopes that people that see them just assume they belong their? Do they have to perform a blood ritual that involves symbolically sacrificing E L James to the literature gods?

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby cmsellers » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:54 am

LegionofShrooms wrote:Out of curiosity, how exactly does one to about becoming an editor for said articles? Is there an application process? Does someone just show up and start doing the job without consulting anyone in the hopes that people that see them just assume they belong their? Do they have to perform a blood ritual that involves symbolically sacrificing E L James to the literature gods?

According to Kate on this thread, you just send a PM to Marcuse.

I'm sure that mailing him the severed head of E. L. James can't hurt though.

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

That's just not true at all.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Arakiven » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:13 pm

What is the average wait time between sending in an article and receiving a response? I realize you guys are probably overworked, understaffed, and constantly having to fight off attractive members of your desired sex, so I understand that there will be a wait.

Arakiven
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: The Sayer of Things

Postby Marcuse » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:23 pm

I currently have a reasonably long schedule for articles, given a 1 per week publishing schedule. If you've sent an article in and you'd like to ask anything about it, feel free to PM me any time and I can clarify things, tell you the expected time of publication, and whether any work has been done on it already.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Askias » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:50 pm

I can't find the option to include attachments while submitting an article. The forum guide states that if I use 3 images or less (and I have three), it's preferred I use attachments, but I fear that's only intended for normal posts. I've used the images as attachments in a PM no problem.

The images have been recut and resized by myself, so I can't hotlink them for the time being. Do I have to make an account on some image-hosting site to include them, or is there an 'upload attachment' button that I keep missing?

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Postby Marcuse » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:59 pm

We re-site all images on a TCS imgur anyway, so it's better to just use the [img] tags for any images and we can deal with the rest.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Askias » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:09 pm

Marcuse wrote:We re-site all images on a TCS imgur anyway, so it's better to just use the [img] tags for any images and we can deal with the rest.

Well that was kind of the question. As I've edited the images, they're currently not on the web in that format, so I can't use the image tags as far as I know. Currently no link to the edited versions exists, hence why I asked if there was a need to create one. My initial idea was to add them as attachments. As I have no accounts on any imagehosting sites and I was aware the image would be linked from the TCs imgur for the final product, I wanted to know the protocol.

I'll make an imgur account somewhere and link using the standard tags.

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:20 am

Unfortunately, PHPBB doesn't expose functionality to add attachments to posts, at least not that I've found. I'd have to manually parse, upload, and store attachment information in the database. While I could do this, I don't know that I'd be doing it right (I'd have to go off of my own understanding of the database structure), I might be missing something, and I'd have to change it with every update.

So, due to laziness an abundance of caution, it's best if we just rely on [img] tags. You can log into imgur with Facebook or Google, and so there's little to no cost to creating an account. Ultimately though, I'm a bit biased, as I am considered Glorious on imgur.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Piter Lauchy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:02 pm

aviel wrote:When you look for images using Google Image Search ,you can filter by rights; you'll generally want to look for images licensed for reuse, or licensed for reuse with modification if you are going to be modifying them in any way.

(Sorry for necromancing.)
I might want to try my hand at writing something for this site at some point in the future, and there's something about this that isn't clear to me. Google offers four ways of filtering:
  • Labeled for reuse with modification
  • Labeled for reuse
  • Labeled for noncommercial reuse with modification
  • Labeled for noncommercial reuse
TCS is a noncommercial site, right? If so, wouldn't all of those options apply and filtering therefore be redundant? Or should I stick to the first two options?

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby Marcuse » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:04 pm

Piter Lauchy wrote:
aviel wrote:When you look for images using Google Image Search ,you can filter by rights; you'll generally want to look for images licensed for reuse, or licensed for reuse with modification if you are going to be modifying them in any way.

(Sorry for necromancing.)
I might want to try my hand at writing something for this site at some point in the future, and there's something about this that isn't clear to me. Google offers four ways of filtering:
  • Labeled for reuse with modification
  • Labeled for reuse
  • Labeled for noncommercial reuse with modification
  • Labeled for noncommercial reuse
TCS is a noncommercial site, right? If so, wouldn't all of those options apply and filtering therefore be redundant? Or should I stick to the first two options?

We're non-commercial in the sense that we make no money from the articles we post and nobody's getting paid for it. I would say that right now articles are okay for non-commercial reuse images.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:46 am

It's been a long time since an article was posted here, but I think I've got an idea for one. Are articles here still a thing?

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:08 am

gisambards wrote:It's been a long time since an article was posted here, but I think I've got an idea for one. Are articles here still a thing?

Articles will begin again soon.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Previous