Ask a German

A repository for intrinsically valuable information

Re: Ask a German

Postby skooma » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:45 am

My low rent "like here" questions. Does perfecting the art of bread include gluten free (have celiac) and if so, is it easy to find and not especially expensive?

Is art school free?

Also are smokers treated as pariahs?

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Postby Piter Lauchy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:37 pm

cmsellers wrote:
here, Piter Lauchy wrote:Got a 2.3 with 1 being perfect and 5 being a fail. No idea how grades in US universities work, that's why I'm stating this; A-F is only in school, right?

Do German universities grade on a curve? And the curve is centered on a middle grade?

I'm not sure what you mean by a curve.
The grading here is pretty straightforward. Less than 50% on a test gets you a 5. You need at least 50% for a 4, which is the lowest passing grade. The required percentage for a 4 might vary from uni to uni, but that's how it is at mine. 100% is a 1 and 2-3 is somewhere in between.

skooma wrote:Does perfecting the art of bread include gluten free (have celiac) and if so, is it easy to find and not especially expensive?

Gluten free bread and other stuff exists here, but I don't know a lot about it. I'm not allergic so I've never had to look into this.

skooma wrote:Is art school free?

I don't do art, so that's another thing I've never looked into, but a quick Googling tells me that no, art school is expensive as fuck.

skooma wrote:Also are smokers treated as pariahs?

It's not that bad, actually. I think the US is way worse about this. Many bars and restaurants have a separate smoker's area and some bars allow smoking everywhere.
I'm a smoker myself and I've never felt discriminated. Note that I'm not trying to defend smoking at all. It is a shitty habit (even calling it a habit seems strange to me; it is an addiction, plain and simple), second-hand smoke is one of the worst things you can do to someone without outright being hostile towards them and I support each and every anti-smoking measure there is.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby gisambards » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:15 pm

Is German TV good - as in, dramas, comedies and stuff? After the recent take-off of Danish and Swedish crime dramas, the BBC was interested in seeing what Germany had to offer - one that stood out was a drama involving the Stasi, I can't remember what it was called - though I can't remember if they actually bought anything.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Revolving Royal » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:19 pm

Which part of the country would you say is the most stereotypically German?

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lurker

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:42 pm

@Royal: Seeing as it's the home of Lederhosen, Wienerschnitzel, Adolf Hitler, and the Krampus; I'd have to go with Austria.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Piter Lauchy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:32 pm

gisambards wrote:Is German TV good - as in, dramas, comedies and stuff? After the recent take-off of Danish and Swedish crime dramas, the BBC was interested in seeing what Germany had to offer - one that stood out was a drama involving the Stasi, I can't remember what it was called - though I can't remember if they actually bought anything.

I don't own a TV and watch everything over the internet. Since I mainly roam the English part of the internet, what I watch tends to be mostly US and UK stuff. From what I know of it, German TV is generally pretty bad. However, there are a few good shows. The German version of The Office is really fun. Then there's Der Tatortreiniger (The Crime Scene Cleaner) which I haven't watched yet, but everyone tells me is the shit. Those two are comedies.
Tatort (Crime Scene) is a traditional snd beloved crime series that exists since 1970. I'm not really into the crime genre, though, so I've never watched it.
That Stasi show rings a bell, but I can't remember the name (fake edit: Weissensee, probably), but I remember reading that it's really good.

As for movies, two great ones that come to mind straight away are Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others) and Knallhart (Tough Enough).
The former tells the story of a Stasi officer who keeps an author who's suspected to be anti-GDR under surveillance.
The latter is about a boy with a poor mother who's bullied and just generally has a shitty life until he gets an opportunity to work for a crime boss.
I highly recommend them both.

Revolving Royal wrote:Which part of the country would you say is the most stereotypically German?

Bavaria. All German stereotypes are Bavarian stereotypes in Germany.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:52 pm

Is or was techno music as popular there as tv and movies would have us believe?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Piter Lauchy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:45 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Is or was techno music as popular there as tv and movies would have us believe?

Kinda, yeah. The most popular places for partying among the younger people are clubs where electronic music is played.

Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:10 am

Piter Lauchy wrote:
Revolving Royal wrote:Which part of the country would you say is the most stereotypically German?

Even the "Germans are dour and humorless" stereotype?

I always figured that one was the Prussians' fault.

I picture Bavaria--home of Oktoberfest--as a land of affably inebriated buffoons in shorts, suspenders, and funny hats.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Piter Lauchy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:15 am

cmsellers wrote:
Piter Lauchy wrote:

Even the "Germans are dour and humorless" stereotype?

Oh, right. I hadn't thought of that one. That's more of a northern thing.

cmsellers wrote:I picture Bavaria--home of Oktoberfest--as a land of affably inebriated buffoons in shorts, suspenders, and funny hats.

Yup, that's the stereotypical Bavarian. Basically, Üter from The Simpsons.

Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:26 am

Piter Lauchy wrote: The German version of The Office is really fun.

I can't imagine how ridiculously German the character Dwight must be!

I'm just kidding.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Bromo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:52 am

What do you think of Japan and their obsession with your country? German words are spread out randomly in anime.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby Arkyle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:01 am

Piter Lauchy wrote: Verdammt, ich lieb' dich or Wahnsinn.

Man, I love Wolfgang Petry :) I was running his songs on Youtube last night and heard "Gianna" again for the first time in years. What a true reflection of a teenage boys...

I think an honourable mention should also be given to Die Toten Hosen and Revolverheld, although I'm not sure I would class them as "dancy pop".

If you want a serious downer of a song: Die Toten Hosen "Nur zu Besuch". For sheer randomness, "10 kleine Jagermeister"

Oh, for more dancy stuff, try Blumchen.

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Piter Lauchy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:38 am

Arkyle wrote:I think an honourable mention should also be given to Die Toten Hosen and Revolverheld, although I'm not sure I would class them as "dancy pop".

If you want a serious downer of a song: Die Toten Hosen "Nur zu Besuch". For sheer randomness, "10 kleine Jagermeister"

Oh, for more dancy stuff, try Blumchen.

Yeah, there's a lot more I could have mentioned, but couldn't think of anything dancy poppy. I'd classify Die Toten Hosen as punk rock and Revolverheld as "Hey, this shit is selling well at the moment, so let's do this" rock.
I'm not a big fan of Revolverheld.

But yeah, Blümchen, totally! How could I forget? If this isn't dancy pop, then I don't know.

Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Revolving Royal » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:26 am

What do Germans think of Ludwig the Second?

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lurker

PreviousNext