Encyclopedia Commentia

A repository for intrinsically valuable information

Encyclopedia Commentia

Postby Matt the Czar » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:58 pm

You know what this site needs? A thread about itself. I will start by adding the word that got this thing here.

Voring (V.) The act of getting off on mauling someone.

Example: Jane vored Dick all over his smooth, Dick-y intestines. Dick liked it.

Last edited by Matt the Czar on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Operation Prepare Your Anus is considered to have been the most thoughtfully planned and masterfully executed humanitarian intervention in American history."-DTanza, alternatehistory.com

Now as a very moral person, I would never sell a pot brownie to a toddler.
I.. I would just GIVE it to them.- CMSellers.
Matt the Czar
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Re: Encyclopedia Commentia

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:31 pm

"Voring" sounds way too much like a word that already exists.

I propose "mauldenfreude" instead.

My favorite TCS related word is ambification. It refers to incidents such as this.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:11 am

Yeah, "voring" sounds way to similar to vore, and it just makes me think of that, and that one time I stumbled upon plant themed vore by mistake. That was an odd one.

And fuck yeah, ambification is catching on! I should probably not be so excited about having a word that is essentially mocking me for my typos become so popular here, but apparently I'm attention starved.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Learned Nand » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:27 am

"Avielian" has been an adjective for a while, though it's never exactly clear what it means. And of course, there's the Kateface.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:31 am

"Avielian" means it's avi-like. I use it to refer to arguing styles, and direct, coldly logical responses.

For those new who might not yet know, Kateface is XD Because Kate uses it a lot, so we just named it Kateface.

Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:44 am

And there's the verb "to carp", which generally means "to upvote a thing to a round number, especially an integer power of ten."

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:58 am

Oh shit! I forgot carping! Okay, so to elaborate on what Carping is a bit more. It started with an old post Carp made about how he liked to upvote a post and make it turn green (on the tenth post), and to give them a rep point that made their total rep 100, 500, 1000, etc. Not sure if it was at that time or if it began later on, but people would also wait until a user was close to a carping number, and then thumb spam some of their posts to so they could give them the carped point (usually using a user rep point as the final one). Now, it got a little bit out of hand, and a few things were largely (but unofficially) agreed upon by most people here. Those being:

1). Except for a user's 100th rep point, it only counts as a Carp if it's a multiple of 500. For example, this means that 1200 is not a carp, but 500, 1,000, and 1,500 are.
2). You can't thumb spam someone for a carp unless they are 10 rep points or less from the carping number. If they're say, 25 points away, and you thumb spam 25 of their posts, it counts as cheating. (Personally speaking, I think it makes it much more fun since it means sometimes multiple people are eyeing the same person, just waiting for them to get in carping range, and then rushing to see who gets to it first. One time myself and two other users all tried to give someone a Carp at the same time, and were actively competing against each other in real time even, which was a lot of fun. Oh, and I won).

I won't speak for everyone (like I said, it's an unofficial agreement bu most people), but I'm in agreement with both of those points. I used to Carp people a lot, and then I just forget to or something. I don't know. I used to take screencaps of my carps, for I don't know why. I just did.

Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:01 am

I believe we actually banned the practice because it got silly.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:27 am

I have heard nothing of that sort.

Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:09 am

Perhaps we just discussed it at one point. Probably on IRC. I know early on there was kind of a craze for Carping.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby JamishT » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:55 am

I've definitely given people upwards of 40 reps as a Carp, and I had no idea that was (unofficially) considered cheating!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:54 am

I'm not sure if everyone uses the word the same way, but I've always considered Carping to refer to giving a person their x*500th rep point, including if you just happen to like a post when the person just happens to be at x*500-1 rep.

I don't think Carp-et bombing, to coin a phrase specifically meaning going round looking for a person's posts to rep and giving them many points just to get them to a multiple of 500, is a big deal. Rep doesn't get anyone any privileges on this forum and we have a culture of giving out thumbs very freely and not giving weight to a person's rec count, so a handful of extra points here and there doesn't unduly skew things.

I don't like it, myself, I've never done it and I feel a bit sad when I think someone has done it to me. I enjoy a natural Carping as much as the next person: it's good old fashioned pointless fun to notice when you get a number past a milestone, but I like to feel that when someone reps me they meant it. If the rep is because of the number instead of the number being because of the rep, it takes the pleasure out of it - for me personally.

If other people like doing it then I don't have any beef with them doing it amongst themselves, but I don't want anything to do with it.

An unrelated entry to the TCS lexicon: Sky Person, meaning Game Master (GM). Am I allowed to list ones I made up? I think it is catching on, after many months of trying.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:04 am

I think I've Carped you, like, twice, now I feel bad. If it makes you feel any better, I only thumb posts that I think are worthy of a thumb anyway for a Carping, which is easy cause I often forget to thumb posts. If I see a person is close I'll even hold off on thumbing any of their posts until they get close enough to a Carp, that way I can find carpable posts more quickly and easily (don't want to let anyone beat me to it, yes, I have a problem).

Others may disagree, but I don't count it as a carp unless it's deliberate. Natural increments IMO don't count, which is how I think all but one of mine has gone. (That or I get carped when I'm only one away anyway, debatable if that counts). I like getting Carped, because then I feel like people are noticing me.

Anyway, I'd thumb you, but you're still 1809 away from a carp, so you'll have to wait awhile.

Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:09 am

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:I don't count it as a carp unless it's deliberate. Natural increments IMO don't count.

But I made a new word (ok two words) especially for when it's deliberate.

O.O

Don't you like it? You don't like it. It's terrible isn't it. I should just go.

*Bite's Ambi's ankles and crawls under the bed*

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:15 am

Noooooooo! Don't go, I'm just being strongly opinionated about little things! You should know I do that a lot by now.

Here, I'll even give you a bowl of milk if you come out. And a thumb! Even though you're still 1809 rep away from a Carp. Well, I guess it's 1808 now.

Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Next