Ask a nurse

A repository for intrinsically valuable information

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:19 pm

And here I thought my brain exploded and that I was going to die, thanks sunglasses and I wish you have a very merry Christmas. Because the gift you gave me (finding out that I'm not dying), is an awesome Christmas present.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby SandTea » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:24 am

so uh, any recommendations for broken ribs? I'm pretty sure there's not much to be done other than, well, basically a really tight shirt but I was wondering if tying some long johns or something tight around my chest would be ok. I'm poor, alright.

Fellas/Ladies, I seriously advise against breaking ribs (unless they are for eating, you cannibals). It is quite uncomfortable.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:38 am

SandTea wrote:so uh, any recommendations for broken ribs? I'm pretty sure there's not much to be done other than, well, basically a really tight shirt but I was wondering if tying some long johns or something tight around my chest would be ok. I'm poor, alright.

Fellas/Ladies, I seriously advise against breaking ribs (unless they are for eating, you cannibals). It is quite uncomfortable.

Question, why does it need to be tight? (what prevents your ribs from then poking inwards inside your guts)

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby SandTea » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:57 am

It is to prevent an errant sneeze or cough from doing more damage, or at least I think it would. I've done both a few times since this happened and each time I could feel a little snap, crackle and/or pop. I figured keeping them wrapped up tight could help keep them in place better than, well, manually trying to keep my chest from moving too much with shallow breaths and whatnot.

Protecting them from puncturing my innards isn't much of a worry right now unless I get hit there again so I'm just looking for some relief from the discomfort

SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:39 pm

SandTea wrote:so uh, any recommendations for broken ribs? I'm pretty sure there's not much to be done other than, well, basically a really tight shirt but I was wondering if tying some long johns or something tight around my chest would be ok. I'm poor, alright.

They don't recommend binding ribs anymore, as that can prevent you from breathing in deep enough to prevent pneumonia. What you can do is carry a small pillow around to brace yourself with if you've got to cough or sneeze.

Breathing too shallowly will lead to pneumonia.

It sucks.

I know.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby SandTea » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:29 pm

I'll admit that I was pretty sure the answer was going to be something like that but shit, now I'm all worried about how I breathe. It's ok though. Just a "your blinking has become manual" sorta thing. I'll be alright. Thanks for the reassurance that I was right in that there's really nothing to be done. It really does give me some consolation.

SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:19 am

sunglasses wrote:
SandTea wrote:Fellas/Ladies, I seriously advise against breaking ribs (unless they are for eating, you cannibals). It is quite uncomfortable.

They don't recommend binding ribs anymore, as that can prevent you from breathing in deep enough to prevent pneumonia. What you can do is carry a small pillow around to brace yourself with if you've got to cough or sneeze.

I have the photic sneeze reflex, which means I sneeze quite a lot. Remind me never to break my own ribs.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:01 am

cmsellers wrote:
sunglasses wrote:
SandTea wrote:Fellas/Ladies, I seriously advise against breaking ribs (unless they are for eating, you cannibals). It is quite uncomfortable.

I have the photic sneeze reflex, which means I sneeze quite a lot. Remind me never to break my own ribs.

Hey sellers, just a reminder to not break your own ribs. Let me do it.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:00 am

Spoilered for vomit related content.

Spoiler: show
I ate at Chipotle yesterday, and vomited a lot of what I ate. A lot of the rice was whole. Did I get sick because I ate too quickly and didn't chew the rice? Or was it food poisoning?

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby sunglasses » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:45 pm

To hard to tell with limited information. However, the rice being unchewed is likely a large factor.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 pm

As a nearly-30-year-old who very, very eats any vegetables (I usually get 3 servings of fruit a day though!), how long will it be before I start to suffer crippling health problems?

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:54 pm

You already have terminal jujuitis

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 pm

I didn't know that was related to vegetable intake. I always figured that was just because I'm a jerk and mean to everyone. Thanks for nothing, idiot.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby octoberpumpkin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:44 am

I almost passed out during the sexy times. There was a minute of pain and then my tummy felt bad and then I had to lay on the cold floor. Its similar to when I passed out giving blood. This is the only time it's happened but its a bit concerning

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby sunglasses » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 pm

It may have been a vasovagal reaction.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20350527

As long as it doesn't reoccur, you should be fine.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext