Ask a nurse

A repository for intrinsically valuable information

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Why do I feel more tired if I sleep for an inadequate amount of time than I do staying up for an unhealthy amount of time?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:11 pm

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:06 pm

I was prescribed a steroid (prednisone) for 3 days to treat my horrible sore throat. This is my second day and it's working very well. My throat only hurts slightly and I'm no longer producing excess mucus. However there are some side effects I do not like. Yesterday it made my thighs ache, today I feel dizzy. It also makes it harder to sleep and produces an emotional high which is concerning.

However my main concern is that steroids suppress the immune system. Don't I need my immune system to get rid of the virus and/or bacteria that's causing this? After the 3 day treatment will my symptoms return? I might sign up for a class that starts tomorrow and I don't want to sign up for it if I'm going to be too sick to focus. Anyone know anything about how steroids work on illnesses like this? It seems to me like they're guessing that my overactive immune system is the real problem rather than the virus.

I was also prescribed a z-pack and told to take it if the steroid doesn't work. So I haven't taken it so far.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby sunglasses » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Long term steroid use can supress the immune system. Short term isn't a worry.

Steroids are also potent anti inflammatories

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:42 am

Um, probably be best if I censor this one.

Spoiler: show
The skin on the left side of my uh... "Fun bag" is dry and the skin is cracked. Any idea why? How I can fix it? Also (but now it's basically back to normal), the skin on my fingertips was completely peeling for some reason, is that because I didn't bother washing my hands (I had to fix my tap so for a couple of days I was without anything and that's when it started)?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby sunglasses » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:50 am

The first thing it could be is fungal rash. Similar to jock itch. The easy to figure this out is just to get and apply a typical antifungal and see if it gets better.

The other option is eczema.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:02 pm

So if I burn myself slightly (like with bacon grease), and don't use ice at all the burn hurts for awhile, but by applying ice I can cut down this pain period significantly. I know this is because the immediate application of ice somehow heals it.

But why is it that I feel nothing while it's on ice, then when I finally stop it burns worse than if I'd never applied ice, then finally I don't feel anything when I'm back up to room temperature?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:19 pm

well, i dunno.

but you aren't supposed to put ice on a burn.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/10/health/10real.html

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:40 pm

My understanding of the mechanics of a burn is that the function of a burn is to transfer a lot of heat to one part of your body, which causes damage to the cells, which results in pain. As we know, heat is vibration of molecules, and by the same mechanism you increase the vibration by introducing something hot, you lessen the same by introducing something cold. Normally advice I've seen recommends cold water, but often to the point where the offending part becomes numb. While you're applying the cold, it stymies the spread of heat, which lessens the damage caused, when you remove it before the residual heat has dissipated, it causes more pain because the heat damage process starts up again in earnest.

I don't know much about using ice, other than it can cause its own damage as a result of too extreme a cold. I would recommend running water, because every first aid course on burns I've taken has recommended that.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:21 pm

@Sunny:
This is why I hate the New York Times' science coverage. They cite one study which found no difference in using an unspecified "cooling agent" to treat burns and then say "also you could give yourself frostbite so don't use ice." I feel like if you're badly burnt enough to give yourself frostbite, you probably have at least a second-degree burn. Either that or leprosy. Or cannabis poisoning.

Something I read awhile ago that I was going to try to dig up but then Marc responded and I had a great idea for a short story I want to write is that ice or cool water will treat burns, but only if applied pretty much immediately, meaning it won't work for sunburn and it's not clear from that article whether it's applicable to that study. (On an unrelated note: how much do you have to pay a study subject to let them burn you and who volunteers for that? I feel like I'd demand at least $200, and can't imagine they paid more than fifty.)

As for using cold water instead of ice: Sure good advice except...
A. In Massachusetts I used ice after I got bored with standing there running the water over my hand, whereon I would get ice. B. In Texas in the summer you could brew tea with the water that comes out of the "cold" spigot.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:47 pm

I think it's common sense that you put a towel between yourself and the ice. I have no idea how you could possibly give yourself frostbite with ice, that would take a LOT of ice and ignoring a lot of discomfort. That's like saying you can burn your esophagus with coffee. It could happen theoretically but it just won't.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:11 am

Look, I didn't feel like citing multiple sources. But we've been taught in first aid since my freshman year of college not to use ice on a burn.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:46 am

Who uses ice on burns? Even I wouldn't do that and I'm the sort of guy to let my dog lick any cuts or scratches. You need to cool the burn, not freeze it, prolonged use of direct ice on the wound might screw up any open-ended nerves or left over skin (not to mention that really cold ice cubes can stick to things).

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:10 pm

I woke up from a poor quality sleep with my thighs aching. I feel like I have just climbed a mountain or did some other intense exercise. However I've been getting a lot less exercise than usual lately. When I fell asleep I wasn't aching.

My mood has been very poor lately, I don't know if that's somehow the reason. I have never had restless leg syndrome. I tried getting up and walking up and down the stairs but that didn't help. I have been taking melatonin, which apparently can cause restless leg syndrome, but I didn't take it yesterday.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Hmm, it's possible you did clench them in your sleep.

Do you clench or tighten your muscles when you're stressed?

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext