Ask a nurse

A repository for intrinsically valuable information

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:52 am

LaoWai wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:Noticed this during the summer (Australian summer is hot...) but whenever I start sweating from physical activity and don't shower basically straight after I start developing all these red marks (and basically spots in the surrounding area) all over the surface of my skin along my spine (probably because that's where all the sweat goes) and a bit on my arms and neck.

What is causing this? And is there a way to stop it without having to take showers basically 5 times a day because it certainly doesn't seem normal and it didn't used to happen.

Maybe try searching for cholinergic urticaria to see if the red marks look similar? (They're basically hives.) I've known two people who developed CU later in life. Antihistamines helped for one of them. The other is still just showering all the time.

Image
I guess it looks somewhat like this, certainly not that bad though.
  • 1

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby DjiboutiDan » Thu May 03, 2018 1:54 am

As long as we're talking about red marks on the skin...

A little while back, my doctor started me on lamictal and told me that if I develop a rash I should stop taking it because it can potentially be very dangerous. I started, two days later I had a rash on my arm, I stopped. Now whether that was real or psychosomatic is debatable. And it didn't look like a normal rash so much as contact dermatitis, which is something I get sometimes because I have sensitive skin. Buuuuut, that was about 2 months ago and the red bumpy thing is still there. Hasn't gotten any bigger, but hasn't gotten much smaller either. I started using hydro-cortisone on it last week and it seemed to help a little, but not entirely. Normally, if I get some kind of contact rash it's gone after a day or two. I've never had a sustained rash-thing go on for a week let alone 8 of them.
I'm currently between doctors for reasons that could be their own post and I also just moved and haven't found a new doctor yet so I've been mostly just ignoring it hoping it would go away, but now I'm starting to get worried because it's not. Is this even something I go to a primary care doctor for or do I just skip straight to a dermatologist?
  • 3

Carrie wrote:But I suspect Dan will figure it out, because Dan’s apparently magic.
User avatar
DjiboutiDan
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: DC area
Show rep
Title: Bilge Rat

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:14 am

How accurate is this article that describes why some people’s faces get red when they drink alcohol?
  • 1

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
User avatar
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 pm
Location: not the outskirts of nowhere anymore, NJ, USA
Show rep
Title: The Sporadically Employed

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby sunglasses » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:15 am

I have no idea
  • 2

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
User avatar
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 11541
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:11 am

After you get a piercing you're supposed to soak it in warm salt water twice a day. Is there any evidence this works? The claim is this will speed up healing time and keep the wound disinfected. Here are more details about the aftercare process I was told to follow.

I was reading about caring for stretched ears, and you're supposed to massage them with oil to break up scar tissue (???). Reddit also recommends an oil that is supposed to "tighten" your ears. This all sounds like bullshit to me. If I get my ears stretched I am not oiling my fucking ears.

I'm frustrated because my new piercing is a daith and it's really hard to clean since it's close to the inside of my ear. I'm tempted to just leave the encrusted blood alone and let it fall off naturally rather than struggle with a q-tip to remove this stuff twice a day. I also don't want to use soap to clean my ear at all and worry about getting soap inside my ear or whatever, so I'm not doing it at all.

I did some Googling and found this. That reminds me of another thing I'm extremely skeptical about, using distilled water to soak my ear. What's wrong with normal water? I wash normal wounds in normal water. They even recommend you mix distilled water with mouth wash to clean an oral piercing. This makes no sense to me, you drink non-distilled water all the time and probably stuff much worse than that.
  • 2

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9645
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby sunglasses » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:19 am

The idea of warm salt water is that it is hyperosmotic and would "pull out infection." I dislike the idea of putting oil on the ears. It doesn't sound right.

I would not leave encrusted blood at the site as it can be a medium for certain bacteria. I know it's a pain, but I would utilize cotton swabs to clean the areas at least once a day. it doesn't have to be a saline solution, but I'd at least use water that has been boiled and then cooled.
  • 6

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
User avatar
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 11541
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby Windy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:16 pm

HELP! MEDIC! TCS IS DYING!
  • 1

User avatar
Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 11:41 am
Show rep

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:59 am

All forums everywhere are dying. The Internet is moving on, and most people prefer social media to rooms full of strangers. Remember chatrooms? I used to hang out in those when I was a teenager, then everyone decided they didn't want to be there any more and they all dried up. There might still be a couple out there, but the ones I visited became ghost towns. Forums are like that now: I spent many years on the Cracked.com forums, as the numbers dwindled to a trickle of lifelong regulars. I kept posting, and people kept leaving. Now I post here, and now this place is winding down too. Meanwhile, in real life, I will occasionally go out to a bar, and that bar will then go out of business due to nobody wanting to go there.

There's only one possible explanation that links all these cases of people abandoning anywhere I start going: people's tastes are just changing in general, and it's not my fault at all.

To keep things on topic and about nursing: how do you learn to take blood out of people? I had a nurse fuck it up on my arm recently and have to try several times, even though I have veins like giant throbbing hosepipes, and I wondered if there were, like, blood-sampling prodigies in nursing school who were absolute naturals at it, and others who were irredeemably terrible at it.
  • 4

Pedgerow
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:09 am
Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby Twistappel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:31 pm

How do I keep a wound on my ludicrously hairy husband's back covered, when the sticking plaster won't stay attached to him?

Like, is shaving him my only option? Should I ask my sister, who is a veterinarian?
  • 4

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
User avatar
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2631
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: The People's Republic of Colorado
Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:33 pm

Stickier plaster? Elastoplast fabric strapping is the stickiest I've ever been able to find - it's intended for taping joints etc so needs to hold pretty strongly. You do need to use some lint or gauze under it for wounds, as it doesn't come with a non-stick section. Also pulling it off might be interesting if he's as hairy as all that.
  • 2

The Dungeon Master wrote:Those who don't want to be baptised, make a dexterity saving throw.
User avatar
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt
 
Posts: 7037
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm
Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Swamp Thing

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby Twistappel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:58 pm

CarrieVS wrote:Stickier plaster? Elastoplast fabric strapping is the stickiest I've ever been able to find - it's intended for taping joints etc so needs to hold pretty strongly. You do need to use some lint or gauze under it for wounds, as it doesn't come with a non-stick section. Also pulling it off might be interesting if he's as hairy as all that.

I dunno. I'm currently using zinc oxide tape (because it was what we had at home), but the stuff just doesn't seem very sticky. Whatever the doctor sent him home with doesn't seem to be any better either. :?
  • 0

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
User avatar
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2631
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: The People's Republic of Colorado
Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest