back problems

A repository for intrinsically valuable information

Re: back problems

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:39 pm

So, I have been going to physical therapy for like a year. Exercise relieves my pain, but every time I think it's gone it returns. Like a boomerang made of pain. I did a lot of exercise yesterday, and the pain was gone all day. This morning, it hurts again.

It's in my glutes, which makes me think it's muscular. However, yesterday my physical therapist told me if I got imaging done there would "probably" be something wrong. That concerned me, so I'm going to talk to my doctor about getting an MRI or whatever.

What the hell might be wrong with my back? Anyone know?

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby sunglasses » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:10 pm

I think, what she means, is that sometimes MRIs show incidental things. Things that have been there but aren't necessaily causing a problem. Like degenerative discs-which happen as you age.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:22 pm

Does anyone know of anybody who has cured chronic muscular back pain? I want this gone forever.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:54 pm

Try seeing a kinesitherapist for long-term treatment, or acupuncture for short-term relief. Or heroin, I guess, but I wouldn't advise it.
I'm afraid that's all I got.

Oh, and depending on the pain, maybe swimming. It's great to strengthen your back muscles.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby skooma » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Does anyone know of anybody who has cured chronic muscular back pain? I want this gone forever.

I did, for many years; exercise is the best answer, you just need to find a kind that works well with the body. I went with yoga, tai chi and martial arts are good too. You do have to keep it up, but not to the extent I did, just something on a regular basis. Half an hour or even less a couple times a week (or even less) can make all the difference, if you're doing the right thing correctly.

The idea is things like yoga and tai chi stretch and realign the body, so things go back where they belong, and you can train your body into better shape that way. Martial arts are generally the same way, while ballet for example is exactly the opposite of what your body wants or needs. I even had no scoliosis for about 20 yrs, even though I do and it's back, unrelated reasons you've heard.

It's basically that your back responds to stresses by creating its own habits of tension, knots, and spasms, so helping it realign for good support changes everything. Also ergonomic and firm furniture can make a lot of difference; heavy people and those who work on their feet can find firm beds uncomfortable for unrelated reasons, in which case the best thing is usually figuring out NASA foam (it does take figuring out, don't just get some). Really good exercise of this kind (unlike aerobic or muscle building) feels great too, not just afterward, it's more like good massage, and you can get strength and tone right where you need it.

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:24 pm

I got an MRI. I have "mild diffuse disc bulge without nerve root encroachment."

This means my disc bulge probably isn't causing the pain, but if it gets worse it will cause the worst pain ever. My mother claims I can treat this bulge by losing weight but I don't know if that's true.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby selena81 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:09 am

for me it's:
-weightlifting-belt/corset, if i need to lift heavy stuff
-laying on my back on a hard stone floor with my knees bend upwards and my feet flat on the floor (trying to touch the floor with my lower back, by angling my butt downwards), if i get a sudden inkling of pain
-bellydance to stenghten the muscles in my belly and my back (mostly the exercize where you make perfectely horizontal circles with your butt, and some shimmies to shake things loose), which has almost completely cured the chronic backpains i had in my early 20s.

no idea if weightloss helps, as i'm still very fat.

selena81
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:18 am

Good news everyone: Pokemon Go has completely eliminated my back pain. I have been walking a lot more ever since I started playing it, and I no longer feel back pain even when I sit for long periods. I'm stronger, and that helps a lot. I also feel more comfortable walking and no longer bother my family and friends with complaints about walking.

I still have some knee pain, but that will probably leave as I get stronger/lose more weight.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Previous