back problems

A repository for intrinsically valuable information

back problems

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Lately my lower back hurts. I thought it might be due to kayaking, I thought it might be because I had the flu, but it's been a couple weeks and it still hurts. I have no history of back pain in my life. It's probably due to the strain of being overweight, and I'm in the process of losing weight.

This may be a temporary problem that will resolve itself, but I don't want to put any more strain on my back than I need to. What should I do? I sit at the computer a lot, and I think my computer chair is making it worse, but I don't know how. I don't have a fancy ergonomic desk or anything, I just put the keyboard on top of the desk. Do weird chairs like this do any good?

I often lie down while looking at my laptop, which my father claims is hurting my back because I prop myself up with pillows and have the weight on my lower back. I don't think it's straining my back, is there any truth to this?

I know some people who set up their computer so they can work while standing. Is this healthier? I would do this if I thought it would help.

Anyone know what kind of exercise I should do to prevent my back from hurting?

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: back problems

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:53 pm

I think I'm going to try standing. When I stand my back is OK, that stupid chair is making it worse somehow.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Qinglong » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:19 pm

Consumer Reports has a number of articles on lower back pain.

Relief for your aching back

Four common mistakes in treating back pain

I found the exercises in the book Treat Your Own Back to be helpful for my back pain, but they aren't recommended for everyone.

http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Own-Ba ... ref=sr_1_1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treat-Your-Back ... ref=sr_1_1

Man created logic and because of that was superior to it. Logic He gave unto me, but no more. The tool does not describe the designer. More than this I do not choose to say. More than this you have no need to know.
Qinglong
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Experienced Bystander

Postby sunglasses » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Ok. If it's worse when sitting it could be sciatica.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Learned Nand » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:19 am

Sitting is worse for your back than lying down or standing. If it is persisting, see a doctor.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby LaoWai » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:32 am

Tesseracts wrote:It's probably due to the strain of being overweight, and I'm in the process of losing weight.

This may be a temporary problem that will resolve itself, but I don't want to put any more strain on my back than I need to.

At risk of sounding like a total dick, barring medical advice to the contrary, I'll say that losing weight is the number one remedy. Whether we like to admit it or not, weight puts a huge strain on our bodies. (I know I've had more problems in the last few years than previously.)

Having said that, losing weight sucks--it sucks serious ass. I'm sure you all know this already, but losing weight sucks. Seriously--fuck losing weight, because it sucks. I know it's good for my health, and I know I ought to do it, but it just sucks, no matter which way you dice it. But, yeah, it's easy to feel worse when the pounds pile on than when they don't.

Last edited by Marcuse on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sorted Quote tags
It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:47 pm

Bumping this thread in case any new members can solve my magical mystery back problems.

At this point I have ruled out any other cause of back pain except sitting at a desk. Doctors say it's a muscle not a nerve problem. When I do ANY activity other than sitting at a desk my pain goes away. I think I need to buy one of those standing desks.

And LaoWai you are absolutely right that humans are not meant to be 300 fucking pounds.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:49 pm

In the short term, get a desk that is more comfortable (which may, for you, be a standing desk). In the longer term, lose weight, it does put a tremendous strain on your back. If it's a muscular problem the exercise would strengthen those muscles; in my case exercise just causes me more back pain, but if it doesn't for you then it'd probably help. But of course, none of us are qualified to hand out medical advice, so do what your doctor tells you.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Arkyle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:45 am

I sit on an excercise ball at home. One of those big ones used for pilates and the like, helped my back issues. Not sure if there if it would help, but they're quite cheap. Might be worth a shot?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/287638-pros-cons-of-sitting-on-a-stability-ball/

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:01 am

When I have black problems, I usually just call the police. They can get so damn uppity with their baggy jeans and their hip-hop, driving around doing drugs in their hoopties and spraying graffiti all over the place. And don't get me started on their entitled attitudes. "Waaah, I need food stamps to feed my kids". Well I'll tell you what, missy, you should've thought of that before you...

What? Back problems? Ooooh. I'll just, uh, you know...what I meant to say was...

*runs to his car and speeds away*

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby caitlent » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:42 pm

I found that these three stretches help me when my lower back has shoots of pain related to sitting at a desk for too long.

Spoiler: show
Yoga-cat-stretch.jpg
Yoga-cat-stretch.jpg (23.72 KiB) Viewed 8915 times

That last one also helps a lot if you have gas pain.

caitlent
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby EstebanColberto » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:55 am

I had lower back pain once due to a job where I had to stock heavy items on a store shelf using a way too short step ladder. One of these helped me out, though they get pretty uncomfortable in summer weather. I think they make some leather ones that make you sweat so bad though.

http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Adjustabl ... +for+women

I looked up one that was made for women, but I don't think there's actually any difference between them other than how they're marketed. Our lower backs are basically the same right?

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby DjiboutiDan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:20 pm

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. My experiences are mine alone. All humans are different. That said...

As a relatively tall person with shitty posture and a sedentary life style, I am prone to back pains. Sometimes upper, sometimes lower. I've found that the only thing that consistently keeps the pain away is exercise. If I exercise even semi-regularly I don't experience any pain. If I don't exercise for weeks at a time, my back hurts. My working theory is that not exercising makes my back muscles weak, which means they can't handle the strain of my constant sitting with slumped shoulders. The upper back is probably easier to work out than the lower back, but I'd say try simple jogging. Heck, even just a brisk walk 30 minutes a day is surprisingly effective. Also, push-ups - if done correctly (google proper form) - work out most back muscles as well as your core. A stronger core means your back takes less pressure.

As for ways to relieve the pain, the one thing that usually works for me to temporarily reduce the pain is to lie on my back on the floor (not a mattress) and put my feet up on a chair with my knees and pelvis bent at 90 deg angles. If that doesn't work, sometimes it helps me to stand up a pillow against the back of the chair I'm sitting in because it reduces some strain and forces me to straighten out my back. Though that's more effective for upper back than lower.

Otherwise, do whatever your doctor recommends - they're a bit more knowledgeable on this topic that I am. Hope you feel better soon and good luck with the weight loss.

Carrie wrote:But I suspect Dan will figure it out, because Dan’s apparently magic.
DjiboutiDan
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Bilge Rat

Postby RainyDays » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:26 pm

I don't know much about back pain in general, nor your situation in particular, but I do know of one back exercise that physical therapists often recommend if you spend a lot of time sitting or standing. It's called scapular retraction, and it can help strengthen muscles in your back that are often unused when sitting for long periods of time. I've been told that this can improve posture, which might help take some strain off your lower back.

To do this exercise, you push your shoulder blades down and towards each other. Hold for five seconds. Do 20 repetitions per set, and as many sets as you like during the day (usually 5 sets per day would be recommended, though you can do more if you think it helps.)

Visual:
scapular-retraction.jpg

That's pretty much all I've got. Posture plays a big role in back pain, so a good chair would probably benefit you tremendously, but I don't know of one to recommend. Since you've been told it's a muscular problem, you may want to look into physical therapy if you haven't already. Otherwise, I'll second what most of this thread is saying and agree that general exercise and exercises that target the back specifically might be your best bet. Good luck!

RainyDays
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep

Postby Phouchg » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:54 am

I've had lower back pain on and off for 20 years and just thought it was something I had to live with. After the last bout that put me in bed for a week I finally asked a doctor what could be done and she sent me to a sports medicine/pain management doctor who diagnosed me with sacroiliac joint dysfunction and said I could have avoided pain all those years if I'd gotten treatment. I'm getting prolotherapy injections every 4 months and the pain is at bay. I'm not trying to diagnose, but definitely recommend seeing a medical professional to see if you can get appropriate diagnosis and treatment and not suffer needlessly.

Fart when people you hug you. It makes them feel strong.
Phouchg
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Potty Mouth

Next