Ask a Historian

A repository for intrinsically valuable information

Re: Ask a Historian

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:52 pm

is there a cut off point between the French Revolutionary Wars and the Napoleonic Wars, where the former morphed into the Latter?

Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Field Marshal of TCS

Postby LaChaise » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:13 pm

In France they're considered the same, as the "guerres de la révolution et de l'empire" (wars of the revolution and of the empire). Easy, right? :p

I can understand this compromise: historians seem to be divided over the question. It's quite difficult thing to determine since the revolutionary wars ended on several campaigns headed by Napoleon, and there's some overlap between his taking the power (1799) and his coronation as emperor (1804 if memory serves). If I remember well, British historians tend to differentiate the two by using the formation of the third (or was it second? I can never remember) coalition against France.

Source: my fuzzy memories from high school.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:25 pm

I do believe most of the confusion stems from the different goals of both groups of wars, the first was, at least viewed by the French as, a war of liberation, spreading the ideals of the revolution to the rest of Europe by force, while the Napoleonic Wars were without a doubt wars of conquest by Napoleon

Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Yeah, but the real question is where do you separate the two? 1799 with Napoleon taking power? 1802 with the peace treaty between France and the UK? 1803 with the new start of conflicts? 1804 with Napoleon's coronation?

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:34 pm

that's why I'm asking the historian *sits and waits for an answer*

FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:35 pm

LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:33 pm

I'm not a historian, but I am a fan of it. Since Andro's no longer active, to my knowledge, I figured I'd bump this to say that if you have history questions, and I'm inclined to answer, I'll do so with the knowledge I have, or learn some new knowledge, or I'll tell you to go f**k yourself and not answer. That's the wheel you'll have to spin if you have any questions about history.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:53 am

He's still quite active... just not around here.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Previous