You talk funny.

A repository for intrinsically valuable information

You talk funny.

Postby Bert » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:27 am

Where in the US do you sound like you are from based on your dialect and terms? Find out here:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

Here are my results:
http://nyti.ms/1kcFngA
I went to high school in Virginia Beach, VA. So they got that right on the money. What gives me away is apparently that I call a drive thru liquor store a "brew thru". In some parts of the country those are called "THEY HAVE THOSE!!! WTF!!!"

This survey was based on a World English survey which can be accessed here and includes other English speaking countries in it's possible answers. It also allows you to view a map with results.

http://www.tekstlab.uio.no/cambridge_survey/

At the very least, it is fun to hear alternative ways of saying things. For instance, I don't use a specific term for when it is raining while the sun is out, though "sunshower" is a common term. But apparently some people say "The devil is beating his wife." Clearly I missed out.

"Condoms are a sign of a bad relationship." -Kate

"We have been here a while. We are not clean people." -Typical Michael
Bert
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Show rep

Re: You talk funny.

Postby 52xMax » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:57 am

It was weird for me taking this test since I'm a foreigner and most of the vocabulary I got is from books, and pronunciation from songs and TV, so I thought I might get something close to Southern California. It was close, but not quite. It turns out the most similar speech patterns I've caught are from Tempe, AZ and Reno NV. I've been to Tempe a few times, it's not far from where I live, but all the people there sound like rednecks, and I know I sound nothing like one of those.

As for Reno... well, I've never been to Reno, so I don't know if that's true...

Alright, alright! I was in Reno. Once. But it was only for a brief time... but if anyone asks, I've never ever been close to that town.

Sheesh, you shoot one man ONE time, just to watch him die, and you never hear the end of it. I should've listened to my momma and never grow up to be a cowboy.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:20 am

I had trouble with a few of these questions. "Oh yeah, I pronounce it like that, no I pronounce it like the second one, no wait, I DON'T KNOW HOW I SAY IT ANYMORE!"

Anyway, not any surprises here.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Typical_Brother » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:47 am

i'm kind of creeped out now....it pinpointed me exactly where i live.

Memories are what reason is based upon. If we can't face them we deny reason itself! Although why Not? We aren't contractually tied down to rationality! There Is no Sanity Clause! So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the Screaming is Unbearable, Remember, There is always Madness. You can just step Outside and close the door on all those Dreadful things that happened. You can lock them Away. Madness is the Emergency Exit.
Typical_Brother
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: The Undercover Brother

Postby Sheepman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:35 am

I've never been to any of these cities, except maybe passing through Oklahoma City. But I grew up in Texas, so close enough. Apparently my calling crayfish crawdads and the roads that run parallel to highways "service roads" (I also call them "access roads," I wonder what I'd have gotten if I'd put that?) pinned me as an Oklahoman somehow.

sunglasses wrote:Additionally, I'd like to add that I don't recommend leaving small children alone with Aviel. They may come back crying after being shown the odds that they were going to die horribly in the next 70 years.

I'm not trapped in here with you. You're trapped in here with me.
Sheepman
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: God'); DROP TABLE Students;--

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:53 am

It pinpointed me at either Fresno, Santa Clara, or Glendale, but I actually live in Fair Oaks, which is east of Sacramento.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Twistappel » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:22 am

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:I had trouble with a few of these questions. "Oh yeah, I pronounce it like that, no I pronounce it like the second one, no wait, I DON'T KNOW HOW I SAY IT ANYMORE!"

I had the same problem. Especially since my accent tends to swing between broad and anglicised Australian, depending on what sort of mood I'm in.

Apparently I talk the most like somebody from Yonkers, New Jersey or Newark. Go figure.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby Typical Michael » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:25 am

http://nyti.ms/1guF0Jk

Yeah, pretty spot on. Either the areas they listed, or northern Virginia, the red says it.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby Typical_Brother » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:08 am

Typical Michael wrote:http://nyti.ms/1guF0Jk

Yeah, pretty spot on. Either the areas they listed, or northern Virginia, the red says it.

I wonder what separated us in answers... mine had me spot on in the county i live in up here, but i don't know what we'd call things differently..

Memories are what reason is based upon. If we can't face them we deny reason itself! Although why Not? We aren't contractually tied down to rationality! There Is no Sanity Clause! So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the Screaming is Unbearable, Remember, There is always Madness. You can just step Outside and close the door on all those Dreadful things that happened. You can lock them Away. Madness is the Emergency Exit.
Typical_Brother
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: The Undercover Brother

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:19 pm

I wondered where does it put me with my Hungarian accent. Apparently, New York.

Well, there probably are people in New York who have a Hungarian accent...

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:32 pm

My accent is extremely variable.

If I am feeling sleepy, I sound Russian. If I am hungry, I sound French. If I am pissed off, I sound British (Christian Bale specifically). Yes, I can make those accents, but they sound pretty shitty when I do then consciously. They are more or less convincing when I accidentally do them in the listed occasions.

The accent I can't do? Brazilian. Because, even though I watched videos, I still don't know what Brazilian accent sounds like! Maybe I have it, and don't know. Probably, all those accents I claim to be able to make perfectly are just variations of my accent (my English teacher used to disagree).

Makes me wonder how many people know they actually have an accent.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby JamesT » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:46 pm

http://nyti.ms/Kobh9A

This is actually a surprising result because, even though I was born and raised near Portland, I actually learned all the English I know through the fractured language of immigrants in the flea market my parents would always leave me at when they were "bored with me."

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby JamishT » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:47 pm

It got the state I grew up in, and pretty close to where I live now...Not bad, quiz!
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=1&

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Bertman wrote:What gives me away is apparently that I call a drive thru liquor store a "brew thru". In some parts of the country those are called "THEY HAVE THOSE!!! WTF!!!"

I've never heard of such a thing until just now, but it sounds awesome.

Anyway, here's my map. Apparently I sound most like I'm from New York City; Newark/Paterson, NJ; or Yonkers, NY. I've lived in New Jersey my whole life and go to school in Newark, so I guess it's not too bad.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NisiOptimum » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:02 pm

Apparently I'm from Honolulu, Modesto or Glendale, California. I'm going to assume this now means I'm an American citizen and will be calling the embassy to request my passport tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes. http://nyti.ms/1gxorMX

NisiOptimum
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Duke of Chrome

Next