Ask a Brit

A repository for intrinsically valuable information

Re: Ask a Brit

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:17 am

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Cullenmcpimpin » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:05 am

i missed that article. Why do brits act snobbish around Americans?

OrangeEyebrows wrote:Our forum-mate Cullenmcpimpin
Left the ladies all lovelorn and limpin'.
His formidable size
Left the rest of the guys
To weep at their annual wimp-in.
Cullenmcpimpin
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:35 am

Is there a place is Soho that DOESN'T double as a sex shop?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Marcuse » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:31 am

aviel wrote:So, this is for Brits and Irishmen: what was the deal with Northern Ireland? Outside of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict I don't know much about territorial disputes, so what was the deal? I know there were some terrorists and ultimately it got resolved with Britain retaining a chunk of Ireland in the north, but I don't know much else. Was the problem specifically with those terrorists or was the Irish population behind them as well? With whom were these agreements negotiated? When did the conflict start (and I know you could go back to Mary and Henry VIII and stuff but I'd imagine there's somewhat of a more recent origin)? And how much role did religion play? Etc.

In brief because I'm in a hurry.

After the end of the English Civil War Cromwell went and massacred the Irish. Just because

He installed Protestant English Lords over the predominantly Catholic Irish

This created religious tensions.

England remained in control of Ireland for the next 400 years, supressing any rebellions as they did so.

Irish Home rule ended the career of William Ewart Gladstone in the 19th Century (he tried but failed to implement it)

It was brought up again during WW1. In 1920 the Government of Ireland Act created Northern Ireland and granted Home rule to the rest of Ireland.

Northern Ireland existed because the majority of people there at the time were protestant not Catholic due to long-term immigration, and the people there were Unionist.

Since then Unionists and Republicans have fought each other over whether Northern Ireland should be part of the UK or the Republic of Ireland. This involved a lot of terrorist incidents.

Last edited by Marcuse on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby DangerChocomog » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:11 am

Cullenmcpimpin wrote:i missed that article. Why do brits act snobbish around Americans?

We don't, it's just our accent ^.~

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.
DangerChocomog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Techno Hippie

Postby Marcuse » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:44 am

Northern Irish history continued:

This is a link to the history of the Troubles in Ireland. Basically by 1968 the republican and Catholic minority were determined to make Northern Ireland part of the Republic of Ireland, and the Unionist and Protestant majority were determined to remain part of the UK.

Both sides used violent meansto try and force their view of the situation on everyone. Multiple IRA (Irish Republican Army) groups were set up, and some claim to exist even now, Ulster Unionist paramilitaries opposed them. In all, over 3600 people, almost all Irish, were killed or injured due to this conflict.

The plan for the IRA was the "long war", designed to wear down British influence in Northern Ireland and convince them that staying there was too bloody and costly. Attacks were carried out in Northern Ireland, and on the British mainland, mainly bombings targeted at civilian areas.

Eventually, from a combination of political realism and war fatigue, all sides came together to agree a political solution to the conflict. Beginning in 1996 and concluding in 1998, the Good Friday Agreement was a plan agreed by all sides to end the conflict and return direct rule to Northern Ireland. The two largest parties the Democratic Unionists and Sinn Fein now share power in Northern Ireland, and the transition back to home rule in Northern Ireland has been staggered from 2002 - 2007 to ensure peaceful adoption.

Currently the mainstream parties have renounced violent means and embraced a political approach to achieve their aims. Despite this, fringe republican groups still carry out violent attacks, almost always at their fellow Irish. Both Sinn Fein and DUP publically condemn this, but the situation remains tense.

Last edited by Marcuse on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:50 am

If cookies are called biscuits, what would you call that morning bread-puck we think a biscuit is?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Marcuse » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:55 am

A muffin without the fun stuff.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:Is there a place is Soho that DOESN'T double as a sex shop?

Sure. Some of them double as strip clubs.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Something I was once told by an Irish fella at a bar, "Don't order a black and tan in Ireland." He did explain why. In detail. Which is why I remember it now.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby D-LOGAN » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:37 pm

sunglasses wrote:Something I was once told by an Irish fella at a bar, "Don't order a black and tan in Ireland." He did explain why. In detail. Which is why I remember it now.

Ha ha is that really a drink over in the states? Screw it, I'm gonna order one next time I'm out. What's the worst the worst that could happen?
Oooh, I have a question for our British chums-
Do you guys say "Highschool" or "Secondary" school? In spite of all the British shows I've watched I don't remember it ever being clarified.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Marcuse » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:41 pm

We say secondary, but highschool is becoming more common colloquially because of US tv shows.

But the official terminology is Primary, Secondary, Further/higher.

Last edited by Marcuse on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:54 pm

ImageYeah, Doc, it's really a drink. I think it's called a half and half in parts of Ireland?

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby D-LOGAN » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Marcuse wrote:We say secondary, but highschool is becoming more common colloquially because of US tv shows.

And so the Yank-ifacation of the world continues ...... all my years of yelling at street corners and waving placards around warning of the insidious takeover, have clearly been in vain!

sunglasses wrote:Yeah, Doc, it's really a drink. I think it's called a half and half in parts of Ireland?

Man that looks even tastier than a glass of "Oliver-Cromwell-Was-Great." Which has it's own problem for ordering.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby NisiOptimum » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Why are people here so obsessed with the weather? It's rain, it falls out of the sky all the time, you don't need to begin every conversation with a forensic breakdown of your recent study of the subject.

NisiOptimum
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Duke of Chrome

PreviousNext