Random thoughts...

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: Random thoughts...

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:14 pm

Pedgerow wrote:If free will is an illusion (and - whispers - it is), then technically, all thoughts are random.

I dunno. Depends if you're into determinism or not. Could be, if free will is an illusion no thoughts are random.

The Dungeon Master wrote:Those who don't want to be baptised, make a dexterity saving throw.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Swamp Thing

Postby SandTea » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:31 pm

Damn Carrie. Beat me to that almost word for word. I guess I am deterministic...

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:09 am

CarrieVS wrote:
Pedgerow wrote:If free will is an illusion (and - whispers - it is), then technically, all thoughts are random.

I dunno. Depends if you're into determinism or not. Could be, if free will is an illusion no thoughts are random.

I did notice a disturbing lack of the word “chaotic” in this discussion...

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Sporadically Employed

Postby Krashlia » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:26 pm

They should make "That Hideous Strength" a seinen anime or an anime adaptation (my desire for it has nothing to do with my slowness to actually read the novel *cough*).

What? It has more than a few of the tropes, including scary shiny glasses.

But, if they embellish, then they should:
1) Play off Professor Filostrato's initial comments, arguments about purifying the Earth of most of organic life and arguing for artificial trees, for the purposes of "hygiene", as a joke for his dining room full of research fellows. Throw in a few laughs here and there during the dialogue, and give him a goofy or good natured smile. Of course, later, in Filostrato's conversation with Mark about the Moon's inhabitants, they have to convey the idea that he was deadly serious about this. Give him an unnaturally calm or contented demeanor, focus shots on his eyes, and maybe work the moon reflecting off his eyes in there.

2) Before Filostrato [Correction: Frost] kills himself in despair, after witnessing his partners post-sacrifice mangled bodies, we need a shot of "François Alcasan's" head, with some drool on the beard, giving off a slow and creepy smile before it fades and his eyes roll up as he "gives up" the "ghost". This scene requires dead silence.

3) There needs to be some involvement of the ideas. So, There needs to be a shot of William Hingest, that Chemist who leaves N.I.C.E. (before getting murdered by a "mugger"), arguing with a few of the leadership about communication with the "Macrobes". Specifically, the contradictions involved with their Naturalist Philosophy, and their dogma that human feelings *only* reflected a subjective point of view, yet believing that instruction from the "Macrobes" was meaningful. Pointing out that they mean to debunk the existence of certain realities to establish their own. Then, William Hingest storms out before advising Mark to leave while he still can.

3) As N.I.C.E. is going down in flames, they need to show the fruits of their experiments and philosophy: People being clearly used as items to the very end.
Dead and misshapen (read: mutilated) Bodies on gurnies, dead and moribund people in cages, dead and moribund people on meathooks, whitened and pale limbs out of their human context, the outlines of all of the above through the flames, ripped open women, the outlines of severed heads on tubes and wires. All grotesque signs that point to obvious and horrific failure, but continued and heedless insistence on trying. (Bury a Steins;Gate reference in there. Specifically, "Error, specimen is deceased. Failure.")

(Also, Someone's gotta call the Institution "NaInCoEx". Perhaps after they shed the supposed surface meaning buried in their acronyms through their actions.)

4) Drive home the normalcy that Mark is embracing and overwhelmingly glad for after that entire ordeal. Maybe inquisitive expressions from onlookers if he weeps, followed by one of them giving him a hankerchief as a simple kindness.

5) The image of Jane -- the one basically told to surrender in marriage when you read into her ordeal in the story -- descending to the lodge in her good dress to embrace her husband, the relatively undressed, unsophisticated appearing, and rather broken and humbled Mark, once more, is a good enough image.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:09 pm

The Soviet Union ended in earnest when Mikhail Gorbachev featured in a Pizza Hut commercial.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Previous