Random thoughts...

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: Random thoughts...

Postby Krashlia » Mon May 20, 2019 3:15 pm

If we bring something akin to Blue Laws back, mandating that certain business or commercial companies (preferably major ones with multiple franchises or that do business across state-lines) are to be shut down or can't carry out business for one day and definitely can't be open on a holiday (and they could chose the day of the week... and are totally welcome to give people a four day work week by choosing a weekday), I think unemployment will fall.

Sure, it might freak out some Adventists, but I think it would be worth it.

Because... screw the market. She's had it too good for too damn long.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Mon May 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Krashlia wrote:If we bring something akin to Blue Laws back, mandating that certain business or commercial companies (preferably major ones with multiple franchises or that do business across state-lines) are to be shut down or can't carry out business for one day and definitely can't be open on a holiday (and they could chose the day of the week... and are totally welcome to give people a four day work week by choosing a weekday), I think unemployment will fall.

Sure, it might freak out some Adventists, but I think it would be worth it.

Because... screw the market. She's had it too good for too damn long.

You've got it backwards. Unemployment would go up, because every business that employs enough people to fill up a seven day schedule would suddenly find itself overstaffed. They'd either have to lay people off or cut their hours and freeze hiring.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Mon May 20, 2019 4:38 pm

Damn...

So, does no kind of business or industry scale such that a day of not operating would screw them up, and they'd be pressured to hire more people to make up for an unproductive period?

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Mon May 20, 2019 6:00 pm

I can't think of any. That would be a highly inefficient way to fight unemployment, anyway.

If the goal is to give more people 4-day workweeks, we could just do what France does and legally mandate a shorter work week for all employees. In theory, this fights unemployment by requiring businesses to hire more people to do the same amount of work as a 40-hour-per-week workforce. Of course, unless you come up with a way to raise wages, every individual would make proportionately less money in this system.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Mon May 20, 2019 6:21 pm

I feel that "choking people" is a bit of a theme with Shinji Ikari.

In fact, I feel that its an understated theme. The focus is always on him being all wimy, weak (he's not. He's actually pretty good at piloting), and whiney. Yet, no one ever seems to focus on his enthusiasm for getting his hands on peoples throats and giving it a nice breathing exercise.

Yup, that little tyke Shinji will choke anything.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:32 pm

When humans get around to recognizing video games as interactive art and realize how poorly they've been curated the past few years there's going to be a lot of frustration.

Protip: Save your devices that have Telltale games digitally installed and keep them in good running order. Might need them for a museum one day.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Australia » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:58 pm

How is that new Adam Sandler movie called Murder Mystery and not Poirotdy?

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:58 am

I read another article recently on how disastrous cats are for the local wildlife, and now I kind of want to get a pair, just so I can name them "Chairman Meow" and "Adolf Kitler."

Which is honestly probably pretty good evidence that I shouldn't have cats.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:06 pm

Why do they call it "Kool-aid"? Shouldn't they call it "Breaks-Walls-Aid"?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Twistappel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:47 pm

In the Harry Potter movies, when the first year kids arrive at school, they are all wearing generic Hogwarts ties and robes. After their first night at school, they are only ever seen wearing ties and robes in their house colours.

So, are their uniforms magic, and change colour over night, or does the school actually make the kids buy special "arriving at school" uniforms? Because I think we all know that Dumbledore is exactly enough of a prick to do the latter.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:03 am

In the book the uniform is specified as plain black robes for first years (three sets, so clearly not just for the first day), and in Chamber of Secrets Harry and Ron ask a Ravenclaw for directions to the Slytherin common room, so she clearly can't be wearing Ravenclaw colours.

But the films are a whole other kettle of fish. I think I'm gonna go with the house elves have a lot of work to do with dying things and sewing on house badges over the first night.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Twistappel » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:34 am

CarrieVS wrote:I think I'm gonna go with the house elves have a lot of work to do with dying things and sewing on house badges over the first night.

[joins SPEW]

[walks off muttering darkly about fancy-pants wizards getting off their pumpkin-stuffed arses and doing their own dirty work.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby SandTea » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:16 am

Are any thoughts ever actually random?

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:38 pm

Yes.

Didn't see that coming, did ya?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:21 pm

If free will is an illusion (and - whispers - it is), then technically, all thoughts are random.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

PreviousNext