Random thoughts...

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: Random thoughts...

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 am

Australia wrote:In forty years, nobody is going to know where the phrase 'hung up on me' originated and will have to ask the future equivalent of Siri why disconnecting whatever device phone calls are used from in 2060 has such an unrelated euphemism.

If that's true, people will stop knowing why the Enter key has that arrow on it (or why it's sometimes called "Return") a lot sooner. (Do most people know that one today? If not, here's your answer.)

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:58 am

jbobsully11 wrote:
Australia wrote:In forty years, nobody is going to know where the phrase 'hung up on me' originated and will have to ask the future equivalent of Siri why disconnecting whatever device phone calls are used from in 2060 has such an unrelated euphemism.

If that's true, people will stop knowing why the Enter key has that arrow on it (or why it's sometimes called "Return") a lot sooner. (Do most people know that one today? If not, here's your answer.)

How much does ink cartridges (or whatever they use, that roller-ribbon-thingy) for typewriters cost? And are they still interchangeable between different brands?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby SandTea » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:47 am

jbobsully11 wrote:
Australia wrote:In forty years...

If that's true, people will stop knowing why the Enter key has that arrow on it

Ask most people about that funky "save" button image. Unless they are a nuclear technician, they probably don't recognize a floppy.

Separate random thought- I went to Oregon recently. Are koozies just a regional thing? My buddy out there said they don't really use em.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:27 am

Who would win?

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:54 am

SandTea wrote:Ask most people about that funky "save" button image. Unless they are a nuclear technician, they probably don't recognize a floppy.

I remember being pissed when I realized my new computer didn't have a floppy drive, because it meant I had to get used to USB drives.

Now I have one that doesn't have a CD drive, and I'm again annoyed, but only because I drive a car without an aux input and the tape deck adapters I use keep breaking.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Shouldn't it be "Frosty the non-binary SnowPerson"? Why is it only a man with white "skin" can magically come to life?

Santa Baby might be creepier than Baby It's Cold Outside. Stop trying to bribe the fat man with your chimney lady! And you want him to hurry down, not up? It puts images in your head that aren't appropriate for holiday gatherings.

Unrelated to music, not having to wake up at a certain time is one of the things I look forward to. My son is sick so we decided last night he wouldn't be going to school. Which means nobody had to set an alarm. Joyous wonder of the season. And it's like I don't even care that he woke me up before he normally gets up because he needed medicine. I went back to sleep because there wasn't a countdown hanging over me. There's usually only one day a week I get to do what others call sleeping in.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm disappointed that Trump and his supporters keep crying "Fake News" instead of "Lügenpresse."

It's like they adopted all the shitty parts of fascism and none of the cool ones.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:38 am

cmsellers wrote:I'm disappointed that Trump and his supporters keep crying "Fake News" instead of "Lügenpresse."

It's like they adopted all the shitty parts of fascism and none of the cool ones.

The uniforms suck.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:20 pm

As usual my brain dissects the music that plays at work. Michael Jackson singing "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus". Good track. He nails it. But at the end he remarks "I really did see him, and I'm going to tell my Dad".

Joe Jackson would absolutely literally beat the piss out of everyone involved, including Michael. Don't do it kid! Let your mother have her secret!

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:11 pm

Dubble post apology. Sorry folks.

Why do people have allegiances to brand name over the counter medications? I don't know what the benefit of paying $10 for 40 Advil pills is when you can get a couple hundred ibuprofen pills for a couple dollars less. I know Advil has a candy coating but it's the same medicine! I've tried with various results to get customers, friends, coworkers, family members, anyone I come across to stop overpaying for a brand name. Most people when they go to the pharmacy for a prescription medication will end up getting the generic version of a drug so the insurance company can save money. Nobody whines about that. But tell a Tylenol fan that they can save money by buying generic and they get defensive.

Towing bills. My Sister and her husband got in an accident on Xmas day (again, because they got hit in October too!) and the jerk that hit them drove off. They had to get his car towed and holy shit those Beltway tow rates. Folks, don't come driving around D.C. without a seriously ballerific slush fund. Later, after the festivities my wife and I remembered. They can submit those bills to their insurance company if they've got tow coverage. My wife texted to let them know they should definitely do that. It was almost $300 for a 5 mile tow.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:38 am

iMURDAu wrote:Why do people have allegiances to brand name over the counter medications?

They don't understand basic chemistry.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:06 am

I've come to the conclusion that it is impossible for anyone to look intelligent while craning their neck for a better view of something.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:38 am

Tess commented that my memes-fu is weak and I pointed out that I get most of my memes from here, from Grimstone and DeltaJim (and also JamishT and some other people too, I guess).

Then I realized: "Grim & Jims" sounds like it should be a candy of some sort.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:10 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:I've come to the conclusion that it is impossible for anyone to look intelligent while craning their neck for a better view of something.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:25 pm

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

PreviousNext