Random thoughts...

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: Random thoughts...

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:35 pm

This is something that would be the case for me with any service sector job, but especially with companies like Chik-Fil-A (which I only know by reputation) or Amazon which are insanely customer-focused.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:09 pm

In 1964, Bob Dylan released "The Times They Are a-Changin'," which includes the line "Come mothers and fathers, throughout the land, and don't criticize what you can't understand."

I think of that line, as I watch even liberal people from my parents' generation (and Dylan's) try to grapple with concepts likes transgenderism, privilege, intersectionality, and institutional racism. Often they don't hide their belief that clearly it's all a bunch of bullshit.

And this makes me wonder: with the pace of social change seemingly accelerating, what concepts will the post-Zoomer generation embrace that has us Millennials griping it's all incoherent nonsense?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:29 pm

I remember speculating about that a few years ago, whether there was anything left that was still deemed socially unacceptable but was in reality totally fine. I was in a group of five or six people, and none of us could think of anything, except for one girl, who immediately, and I mean immediately, went, "INCEST!"

To be fair to her, she then argued her point quite well, but that kind of ruins the anecdote.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:08 pm

The five that come to mind to me as possibilities are animals, immigrants, children, mental illnesses, and pedophiles.

I've made my views on animal rights/animal liberation known many times, but I always assumed that it would take until we had at least vat-grown meat, and possibly until we have sufficiently advanced computer simulations for medical research, before it became mainstream. However, as I watch the green movement try to force everyone into veganism, and I hear about videogames banning leather, I worry they may win out sooner than I expected. However, this isn't so much an "I can't understand," as I understand perfectly what they believe and I think it stems from being urbanites who've had minimal contact with animals and see them as sort of fluffy people.

With immigrants, we're seeing a move towards open borders now. As global warming renders large swaths of the tropics less inhabitable (and especially if it shuts down the Gulf Stream, leading Europe to freeze), I could see it becoming a moral imperative for young people to let anyone live anywhere. I'd like to see looser immigration restrictions, but I'm still not convinced of the feasibility of open borders.

Children begin to develop their own identities at around seven or eight, and this process picks up dramatically around eleven or twelve. But our laws still often treat minors as legal extensions of their parents, and this is something that I think will and should change. I can imagine a future where teenagers get more control over their education, finances, free time, religious observation, and possibly even the right to vote, and I would support this.

I'm already seeing people saying that it's not acceptable to criticize narcissists, psychopaths, and borderline people for behavior that can be attributed to their mental illnesses. I can imagine a future in which "it's my diagnosis" becomes a legitimate excuse. As an autistic person who saw many "self-diagnosed" autistic people try to do exactly this, I'm horrified. I also think that "self-diagnosis" will become much more acceptable, as it already is in the autistic and trans communities.

Until about two weeks ago, I would have said "non-offending pedophiles," except that there are apparently teenagers now who post about how all pedophiles are valid, which is something I recently learned and wish I hadn't.

Incest wasn't even on my radar, but then I don't have a hot sister.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:05 am

Incest! Keep it in the family.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:08 pm

ATT is the United Airlines of ISPs: It stands out in a field infamously bad for customer satisfaction by offering the worst service at the highest prices. And in far too many places, it's literally your only option.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:58 pm

When we moved to western MD in 2012 the dominant player was AT&T. The other major players hadn't made inroads yet, I used to joke that the only white spot on Verizon's data map on the entire eastern seaboard was made up of 5 counties split between MD and WV.

Not even a decade later and I don't know anyone with AT&T. They're still around of course but Sprint and Verizon just have better plans and service. I think AT&T peaked (well as far as the past decade lol) with iPhone exclusivity. They've got nothing now except a satellite TV service that they're not investing in and nobody wants to buy from them.

So what do they think is going to happen if Skylink service starts being a thing in the next 5-8 years? DirecTV subscribers are going to bail big time. Rural internet is going to kill expensive ass rural TV. And Hughesnet is Tee Totally Fucked obviously but that internet was a joke 20 years ago compared to cable at the time. Btw, Hughesnet has latency of half a second. More than halfway thru 2020. Eeesh. And has over a million subscribers.

Like c'mon you're the only player in the satellite internet market and decided to make zero investment in that since forever ago. Sometimes it's not simply that Elon Musk is a super genius and everyone else is dumb it's that there are untapped goldmines and some people have the concept and capital to make it work better than who was doing it prior.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Krashlia » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:22 pm

Twitter: Lml #BuyGoya is trending! Like Republicans season their food or something!

Me internally: ...How does nobody notice thats racist? And why do this many people think theres absolutely nothing wrong with that?

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:30 pm

There's a lot of backlash about the people who say, "When I put on a mask for coronavirus, I literally cannot breathe. I feel like I'm suffocating after just a few seconds." People I know get really angry at those people. They actively despise them.

So maybe, just maybe, these whiners feel like they can't breathe because people keep handing them plastic bags and just saying they're masks?

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:28 am

*gnaws on furniture*

These have no fiber!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:33 am

Pedgerow wrote:There's a lot of backlash about the people who say, "When I put on a mask for coronavirus, I literally cannot breathe. I feel like I'm suffocating after just a few seconds." People I know get really angry at those people. They actively despise them.

So maybe, just maybe, these whiners feel like they can't breathe because people keep handing them plastic bags and just saying they're masks?

I hate wearing a mask. I hate the shit out of it. I despise every second of it and it is very uncomfortable to me. But that's because I have to do it 40 hours a week. My glasses fog up constantly. It feels as if my breathing is restricted and I do plenty of heavy lifting at work so it's tiring.

But I don't really want to be that asshole spreading disease. I kind of don't want it myself. Sounds like a bad ordeal. And at least my job finally procured actual N95 masks.

Another random thought is that I always forget a mask. We keep putting "backups" in the glove box. I use quotes because for example I went to a store today, got out of the car, walked a dozen steps saw someone wearing a mask and was like oshit that's right.

My routine hasn't changed. I've said it before, I go to work, go home, and rarely anywhere else. So my brain has categorized a mask as only being needed for work.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:04 am

My work bought us all these weird antiviral snoods which I assume are way more awesome than regular masks, but I never see anyone else wearing them on the street at all, so they are either rare or totally ridiculous-looking. I love mine because you can wear it in so many different ways, but this has led to me being told I look like, so far..
-The Invisible Man (traditional)
-The Invisible Man (from Hollow Man)
-Rorschach from Watchmen
-A bank robber
-A Formula 1 racing driver
-Someone in a hijab

Also, we've only been told to actually wear them around the building in the last few days; before that, I only used it for local shopping visits. And we don't have to wear them if we're doing physical work, which I never do anyway. And I'm already getting sick of it, even though I can breathe just fine. So you have my sympathy.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:41 pm

For landmarks, where is the dividing line between statues and buildings? Is the Washington Monument a statue or a building? An architect must have helped make the Statue of Liberty, even though it's a statue. Michelangelo's David isn't a building, but what about Copenhagen's Little Mermaid? That's outside, so could it be classed as a building? Why not?

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:09 am

You can go inside the Washington Monument, or at least you could, so it's definitely a building.

Otherwise it's just a dick statue.

Afaik no architect helped with The Statue of Liberty.

The Little Mermaid is a statue. A building is a structure, ah just look up the main definition.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:59 am

In Episode 8 of Azumanga Daioh, the girls have new years dreams.
Kaorin in particular has a dream in which the others form a delinquent gang to attack her, but is rescued by Sakaki on a White horse. Clearly, thats gay. But it took me 10 years to realize why Chiyo-chan was the boss of the delinquent gang, in the dream.

Simply, put: Attention. Chiyo-chan had Sakaki's attention.

Also, the theory that Yomi and Tomo's friendship had a different dynamic seems plausible, given the details. Tomo's entire dream just screamed inferiority complex around Yomi (and others, but she really seemed to savor the idea of Yomi getting lower marks than her). It just makes sense. There could've been a time, in elementary or middle school, when Yomi was the more vulnerable of the two, and Tomo made it her business to cover her friend. But, as time went on, and almost sisterly familiarity set in, Yomi excelled in her studies and had begun to realize that Tomo is kind of a wild retard who needs management. So, Tomo becomes more dependent on Yomi for homework answers and help, and plays catch up when it comes to academic work and getting into high school.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext