Random thoughts...

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: Random thoughts...

Postby Krashlia » Mon May 20, 2019 3:15 pm

If we bring something akin to Blue Laws back, mandating that certain business or commercial companies (preferably major ones with multiple franchises or that do business across state-lines) are to be shut down or can't carry out business for one day and definitely can't be open on a holiday (and they could chose the day of the week... and are totally welcome to give people a four day work week by choosing a weekday), I think unemployment will fall.

Sure, it might freak out some Adventists, but I think it would be worth it.

Because... screw the market. She's had it too good for too damn long.

Krashlia
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Mon May 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Krashlia wrote:If we bring something akin to Blue Laws back, mandating that certain business or commercial companies (preferably major ones with multiple franchises or that do business across state-lines) are to be shut down or can't carry out business for one day and definitely can't be open on a holiday (and they could chose the day of the week... and are totally welcome to give people a four day work week by choosing a weekday), I think unemployment will fall.

Sure, it might freak out some Adventists, but I think it would be worth it.

Because... screw the market. She's had it too good for too damn long.

You've got it backwards. Unemployment would go up, because every business that employs enough people to fill up a seven day schedule would suddenly find itself overstaffed. They'd either have to lay people off or cut their hours and freeze hiring.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Mon May 20, 2019 4:38 pm

Damn...

So, does no kind of business or industry scale such that a day of not operating would screw them up, and they'd be pressured to hire more people to make up for an unproductive period?

Krashlia
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Mon May 20, 2019 6:00 pm

I can't think of any. That would be a highly inefficient way to fight unemployment, anyway.

If the goal is to give more people 4-day workweeks, we could just do what France does and legally mandate a shorter work week for all employees. In theory, this fights unemployment by requiring businesses to hire more people to do the same amount of work as a 40-hour-per-week workforce. Of course, unless you come up with a way to raise wages, every individual would make proportionately less money in this system.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Mon May 20, 2019 6:21 pm

I feel that "choking people" is a bit of a theme with Shinji Ikari.

In fact, I feel that its an understated theme. The focus is always on him being all wimy, weak (he's not. He's actually pretty good at piloting), and whiney. Yet, no one ever seems to focus on his enthusiasm for getting his hands on peoples throats and giving it a nice breathing exercise.

Yup, that little tyke Shinji will choke anything.

Krashlia
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:32 pm

When humans get around to recognizing video games as interactive art and realize how poorly they've been curated the past few years there's going to be a lot of frustration.

Protip: Save your devices that have Telltale games digitally installed and keep them in good running order. Might need them for a museum one day.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Australia » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:58 pm

How is that new Adam Sandler movie called Murder Mystery and not Poirotdy?

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Previous