So You'd Like to Run a Game?

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: So You'd Like to Run a Game?

Postby 52xMax » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:59 am

Good thing this thread exists, so we can work around people's schedules and great games won't overlap.

The thing is, I've been thinking about it, and both Cult Following and Enclosure look like awesome games I'd really love to play. I know that Notch, JamesT and Gash have been working on them for a while, and I don't want to draw attention from them with a Mafia game (or more likely, them drawing attention from Mafia), so I think it's probably for the best if I postpone Steam Riders signup for a while, at least until one of these games gets close to its end.

So, expect steampunk western shenanigans around the last week of November, or maybe early December. I figure I'll use the time to tweak the nuts and bolts (or the cogs and gears, if you will) so you can have the ultimate gaming experience.

In the meantime, if anyone feels like creating a Mafia-style game to fill the gap, be my guests.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Sheepman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:03 pm

52xMax wrote:So, expect steampunk western shenanigans around the last week of November, or maybe early December. I figure I'll use the time to tweak the nuts and bolts (or the cogs and gears, if you will) so you can have the ultimate gaming experience.

I, for one, would suggest/prefer early December since us NaNoWriMo-ites will otherwise have yet another thing to distract us from our vital last week of writing...

sunglasses wrote:Additionally, I'd like to add that I don't recommend leaving small children alone with Aviel. They may come back crying after being shown the odds that they were going to die horribly in the next 70 years.

I'm not trapped in here with you. You're trapped in here with me.
Sheepman
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: God'); DROP TABLE Students;--

Postby JamesT » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:45 am

I'd like to reserve February 31st 2014 for a very special mafia game based on all previous mafia games. I know that's a ways ahead but I want to be sure it's free.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby 52xMax » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:35 am

JamesT wrote:I'd like to reserve February 31st 2014 for a very special mafia game based on all previous mafia games. I know that's a ways ahead but I want to be sure it's free.

I think you should be talking to Malos about it. I believe he's been working on a similar concept.

52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:39 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Kate » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:51 am

Just to remind you guys, sunglasses is having signups for a second Void game of sorts right now.

Go sign up, the last game was a lot of fun!

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby 52xMax » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:51 am

Gash wrote:Check the date, Max.

Ha! I didn't notice it said February, and I thought JT was maybe planning something for the forum anniversary or something... my bad.

But, Malos is actually doing that game, so it isn't a completely crazy assumption.

52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:40 am

JamesT wrote:I'd like to reserve February 31st 2014 for a very special mafia game based on all previous mafia games. I know that's a ways ahead but I want to be sure it's free.

I don't think you can reserve that date before April 1.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:42 am

Hey, that would be awesome!

*checks date closely*

Oh dammit James.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby Reux » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:50 pm

I may, at some time in the future, run my Forests of Tauria RP here.

Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods. Lost, but not forgotten.-Wolfgang Buchner
Reux
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Fish Girl

Postby Reux » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:01 am

here's the premise
Deep in the Taurian Forests, an ancient evil stirs, the dark, twisted lich Moria. He raises an army of the undead, desecrating the once pure forests. His zombies and wights kill and destroy all in their path, and eventually besiege the city of Cormalla, the capital of Tauria, the High Council of Elders sends word by falcon to all reaches of the globe for help, few respond. It is up to a small group of Taurian rangers and independent adventurers to free the forests from the hold of Moria.

Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods. Lost, but not forgotten.-Wolfgang Buchner
Reux
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:51 am

Drexyl Nox wrote:here's the premise
Deep in the Taurian Forests, an ancient evil stirs, the dark, twisted lich Moria. He raises an army of the undead, desecrating the once pure forests. His zombies and wights kill and destroy all in their path, and eventually besiege the city of Cormalla, the capital of Tauria, the High Council of Elders sends word by falcon to all reaches of the globe for help, few respond. It is up to a small group of Taurian rangers and independent adventurers to free the forests from the hold of Moria.

"Drexyl Nox? Tauria?"

Are you sure you're not an SG-1 fan? because it's cool if you are, we have a support group and everything... well, the support group is just me and JT dropping references on IRC that no one else gets, but it's a start.

52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Here, I'm practically gift-wrapping this for you guys.

THING

We played it a couple times in chat and it's very fun. Some modifications need to be made for the forum though, so I'll outline them now:

1. Of the group you begin with, only two of you are a shape-shifting monsters. The monsters infect a person at night and replace him or her with a doppelganger who fights for them.

2. The days are devoted to voting on someone to be scanned. If a normal is scanned, nothing happens. If an infected person is scanned, that person is quarantined and is not allowed to vote on future days. If a monster is scanned, the same thing happens as if he or she were infected, with the difference being that the monster can no longer convert in night phases.

3. Since each monster gets to infect one person a-piece the first night, they start with four people on their side. This means you have to have a decent sized group. It also prevents the game being over in one turn in case someone makes a lucky guess and picks the monster right off.

4. Realistically the monsters only have to outnumber the mortals in order to win, as they can affect the voting to win every time. For this reason, a GM may want to power up certain players (for example, one player gets a secret extra vote, or a player can scan at night as well but has no power to quarantine on his or her own) among the mortals to even the odds. It also depends on how big a crowd signs up for the game.

5. This is the most important point. Without dredging things up to make anybody feel bad, I'm simply saying matter-of-factly that if you recruit a player to be one of the monsters, MAKE SURE THEY WILL ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME. Without that the game becomes sort of pointless.

I would run the game myself but I am probably going to be gone again after tomorrow's recording of the podcast. So, someone should definitely take up the reins for this game and give it a whirl, if it will be a while before Mafia happens again or if people are sort of burned out on that game.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby 52xMax » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:13 am

Sounds oddly similar to the original Wolf/Mafia. I like the idea, I don't think we've ever played anything like that on TCS.

52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Reux » Mon May 05, 2014 7:20 am

I'd like to run a Star Trek RP based on my STO ship the U.S.S. Janeway, N.X. 91017. I'm wondering if anyone is interested

Reux
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

PreviousNext