So You'd Like to Run a Game?

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: So You'd Like to Run a Game?

Postby 52xMax » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:46 am

Western, you say?

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:25 am

I'd quite like to host a play-by-post game of Pendragon-Lite.

For the uninitiated, Pendragon is a tabletop rpg that's been around since the mid 80s, developed by Greg Stafford (of RuneQuest and Glorantha fame) that is set in legendary (but low-magic) Arthurian Britain. The players all take the roles of knights and play their respective noble dynasties for three to four generations over the course of over 80 years, the time between the crowning of Uther Pendragon to the death of Arthur by Morded's hand at the battle of Camlann.

The players go on noble quests, rescue damosels, take the field against the saxon foe, engage in politics against their neighbors and eachother, raid, pillage, plunder, repress the peasantry, slay a dragon or two, the sky's the limit.

Now, the mechanics in use are several books worth to be honest, but there isn't really anything a player could do that a normal person under the given circumstances couldn't do, so the way I am planning to run it is to simply handle most mechanics on my end in a somewhat simplistic manner and keep player action to what they intend to accomplish in a given situation. Most things, I feel, will in most cases boil down to common sense.

There will obviously be a need for player input in character builds, but again, I plan to run it as a Pendragon Lite as it were. These things would boil down to favored weapons and ranking certain skills in order of preference. For example "What is your character's favored weapon, and in order, list 10 of the 40 total skills in order of ability) and I would do the legwork in the back-end.

There is also a system of personality traits, such as valorous v. cowardly, lustful v. chaste, pious v. wordly. There is also a system of 'Passions', intense love and hatred that can inspire great deeds or end in madness, depending on one's luck.

For all mechanics, my goal is that if they never come up, I am doing my job right. The elegance of the system is that what is happening can be explained narratively with little to no headscratching that is usually commonplace with something like Dungeons and Dragons.

I would obviously need a sub-forum but I don't think I should have issues keeping it tidy.

So, any takers?

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:17 am

Just as a note, I think I should be capable of running it by myself, but I'll accept volunteer assistant-gm's if anyone is interested.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:58 pm

We haven't had a game in forever. That would be nice.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:03 pm

So do I set up an interest thread, or wait for admin approval?

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:51 am

#Wasn'tARhetoricalQuestionIDon'tKnowWhatTheProtocolIs

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:06 pm

Cpt._Funkotron wrote:#Wasn'tARhetoricalQuestionIDon'tKnowWhatTheProtocolIs

That's your protocol.

Edit: fixed image link

Last edited by 52xMax on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Marcuse » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:35 pm

This thread was intended to be more of a queue, than an official approval process, given we used to have a few people planning games at any one time and didn't want to have people seeing no participation because games overlapped. Now it's been pretty quiet then if you would like to arrange and run a game then I say go for it.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby skooma » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:47 am

Is the western still in the works? I just don't know when/if I'll have time, but would love a western (I've started watching Deadwood). Ideally I'd like to revive my space carnival too, but again, waiting, and I'd want a more experienced gm to help regardless.

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm still planning to do it at some point but I'm not going to have the time or energy to run a game until my arm's better, so it'll be a month or so, at least.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Scarik » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:24 am

Hiya! I'm pretty new here but I like who I've met so far and want to run a game about the Romance of the Three Kingdoms (三国志).

The PCs will begin as officials in Bingzhou in the year 184CE under the authority of Inspector Ding Yuan when the Yellow Scarf Rebellion breaks out and throws the land into turmoil. It is a world of often subtle yet pervasive magic where those most learned can command the heavens as a general commands soldiers.

It is a time where a warrior can gain such skill as to match a thousand common fighters in the field but find themselves felled by a whispered word in the right ear. Warriors and scholars, men and women, Taoists and Confucianists will play their part.

For system I'll be using a Fate hack based on Dresden Accelerated. That means mantles that guide your stunts, approaches and no more than 5 aspects.

I have no idea what to do next. ^^

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kate » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:41 am

I'm bad at keeping the first post updated, but that sounds like an interesting game. I think whenever you're ready, just post a sign-up post in this forum explaining the game, when you plan to start, what kind of time commitment it'll be, any other information you think people might want or need, and ask people to post whatever you need from them; character names, descriptions, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby Ladki96 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:17 am

That seems awesome, I'm so in ^^ and yeah, what Kate said, basically make a new topic explaining, like Funkotron
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9471

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Scarik » Mon May 21, 2018 11:07 pm

I'm looking to catch lightning in a bottle again with Fate but this time actually set in the Dresdenverse and using the Dresden FAE rules.

I will be maintaining the lore essentially as is with the main exception being that everything Ferrovax has revealed about Dragons should be considered biased by his agenda.

The main premise:
The dragons of old never died out and never left earth despite what priests and historians (and certain Dragons) say. Sure, some were slain by knights or felled by arrows and spears, but hardly most. They are in fact still among us to this day: watching, hoarding, coveting and destroying what we value.

They just do it while small and furry.

Yes, that means the dragons are masquerading as cats.

The majority of the PCs will be dragons/cats, if you are interested and want to be something else I still insist that you are a dragon or a cat and you have to sell me on it. Don't want things getting away from the core idea after all.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon May 13, 2019 6:54 pm

So. Mafia.

I declined to volunteer for the inter-forum championship, because I only like TCS mafia. But now that it's started, I'm reminded just how much I like TCS mafia.

I'd love to play it again, but I'm also quite keen on running another one, if enough people are keen on playing.

I would be running one of two games, depending on what people prefer:

- Western: the Sequel, in which the Bullseye Carter gang try to evade the heartless Talon's Creek Posse.
This would be a fairly basic "townies" vs "bad guys" and relatively standard roles and rules. Except for a couple of additions I've come up with since co-running the first one.
- A Fantasy Kitchen Sink full of wizards, witches, warlocks, and warriors; dragons of all shapes, sizes, and flavours; lost princes, rightful kings, incarcerated princesses, and misunderstood spiders; gods and heroes and villains and monsters. Anything goes - within reason... or without.
This would be a high magic, high powered, low realism game. There won't be teams, there will be the alignment system (you know the one. Good or Evil, Chaotic or Lawful. The one with all the 3x3 memes.) The rules, the win conditions, and the way things work will be a little bit experimental, and probably a little bit mental. The abilities will be hopefully a little different too, and a bit on the powerful side, and I'll be aiming for it to be a fast-paced game.

Would anybody be interested in either of those, or both (with or without a preference)? Or are we all totally over mafia?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

PreviousNext