The Cocktail Lounge - two drink minimum, adults only

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: The Cocktail Lounge - two drink minimum, adults only

Postby SandTea » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:26 am

jbobsully11 wrote:I don’t actually listen to that last one very much... there’s a bit of a story there...

Fuck, you too? I swear that song must be cursed. Shark, friend, girlfriend or... bit of a story there as well; that fucking song. Regrettably, It is catchy enough that it pops into my head sometimes though.

That mac lethal was a new one to me. I can see having fun with that

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:57 am

SandTea wrote:
jbobsully11 wrote:I don’t actually listen to that last one very much... there’s a bit of a story there...

Fuck, you too? I swear that song must be cursed. Shark, friend, girlfriend or... bit of a story there as well; that fucking song. Regrettably, It is catchy enough that it pops into my head sometimes though.

It's almost certainly not anything you'd expect. Spoilered for length and possible (slightly) unsettling/definitely not uplifting content:
Spoiler: show
A few years ago, my brother and my mom got in a huge argument about something (which happens fairly often) and he stormed out in a huff to meet (I assume) some of his friends somewhere. At some time after 4 AM, he came stumbling in, alternately bellowing that song (he only knew the first verse, but didn’t let that stop him) and throwing up. Once my mom woke up, there was a lot more yelling.

The next morning, as I was drifting in and out of consciousness, the two of them were talking about what had happened when he went out. A few minutes after it seemed like the conversation ended, I heard my brother let out a weird, stressed-sounding noise (for lack of a better way to describe it), my mom called his name a few times, and a few seconds later she was on the phone frantically telling a 911 operator, “my son is having a seizure,” at which point I immediately was awake. We’re *pretty* sure it wasn't drug-related.

Did I mention the second day was Thanksgiving? Because yeah...

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:45 am

My brother was planning a Florida/Caribbean themed barbecue for a while, so naturally it started to rain today, right before people got here for it. On the other hand, conch fritters are awesome.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:39 pm

Note to self: Blackberry brandy and key lime-flavored sparkling water go surprisingly well together.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:31 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:Note to self: Blackberry brandy and key lime-flavored sparkling water go surprisingly well together.

That is one of those things that I want to try but probably won't. :(

I have decided today, since I don't have to do anything, to day drink and sit by a backyard fire. It's not particularly cold or anything but campfire is fun and within wifi range! Probably also going to cook food over it. Something about burning wood to heat food up seems to make it better.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:30 am

I’m at my dad’s house, watching the Super Bowl commercials (and some football game in between), eating hot dogs, and drinking beer. I don’t think they’ve been that great so far.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby SlayerGoddess » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:52 am

There's a full bar directly across the street from me now, and they have good food, so I can eat and drink at the same time! It used to be that I could go across the street and just drink beer (which I'm not the biggest fan of), or go across the street and down a block (in different directions, of course) to go to a bar or eat, but this is so much better! When I say this place is across the street, I mean that if I keep going straight across the street after walking down my driveway then I'm there!

It took a LOT of editing to write this coherently after having a Long Island Iced Tea!

I survived watching "50 Shades of Grey" for TCS Movie Night

3/7/15

NEVER FORGET
SlayerGoddess
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: HER

Postby Pedgerow » Fri May 22, 2020 11:41 pm

I can't find the thread where I originally planned to post this. It's an amazing trivia coincidence about two celebrities going to school together. I blame my exciting experiment to see if I can get properly drunk while drinking alone, rather than just sipping neat spirits like some kind of intellectual sophisticate. After two thirds of the remaining one third of a bottle of gin, plus this outstanding Bloody Mary I made for myself, I'm only about eight units in (do Americans count alcohol units? A shot is usually one unit, a pint of beer is two units, and theoretically, a full litre of neat ethanol is 100 units), and so I am only impaired emotionally at time of writing, but this fact is so cool, you guys!!!!!!!!

When Lin-Manuel Miranda, the Hamilton guy, was at school, he got bullied by another kid in his class, who went on to become notoriously controversial rapper Immortal Technique. This is honestly one of my favourite trivia facts about celebrities.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:00 am

Pedgerow wrote:(do Americans count alcohol units? A shot is usually one unit, a pint of beer is two units, and theoretically, a full litre of neat ethanol is 100 units)

If a "unit" is 12 fl oz of beer (at 5% ABV*), 5 fl oz of wine, or a shot (1.5 fl oz) of 80-proof liquor, then yes. Also sometimes referred to as a "drink," which can get kind of weird if you put more than one shot in a mixed drink.

I got a bottle of surprisingly good brandy off the bottom shelf of the liquor store by me a little while ago, and I've been trying it with different sodas. Tonight, it's a vanilla seltzer.

*According to these people. If that's not the right percentage for an average beer, blame them.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:57 pm

With regard to the storm I mentioned in the rant thread:

There wasn’t much rain by me, but the wind was apparently brutal; it knocked out power in multiple cities across the state. We’ve gotten several different wait times from our power company, but anyway, last night, we decided to head up to my sister’s house (she had power). A fun getting lost story is spoilered for length below:
Spoiler: show
In case power came back in the town where I work before it came back where we live, we decided to take different cars. I took my car, and my mom and brother took another. (mistake #1)

All of our phones were (obviously) low, but we had car chargers, so that should have been good enough. (mistake #2, with ominous music playing in the distance)

I left first. (mistake #3) I plugged my phone in, entered my sister’s address, and headed off. It’s really only the last few turns that confuse me, anyway, and my phone should have been charged by then. (#4)

As I got closer to her exit off the highway, I noticed that my phone wasn’t actually charging anymore, but I thought I could either figure it out or find a gas station. (#5) Actually, I needed gas anyway, so whatever. (ominous music gets louder)

A giant truck kept me from getting over to the right exit, but instead of taking the next one that I knew led me near where I was going (some distance away), I thought I’d just take the next exit that came up. (#6) I got on the right highway, but wasn’t sure which direction to go, or how far. Naturally, I picked the wrong way. (#7)

I thought I saw a sign saying I was in the right town, so I thought I’d find a gas station and ask where the street I was looking for was. The guy said I was in a different town, and he couldn’t help me. I needed gas anyway, so I got some.

I then proceeded to go further in the wrong direction until I passed: a sign saying I was in the town he said I was already in, another sign for a different town, and a sign for a company I knew I didn’t normally pass. Then I finally decided to turn around.

After a much longer time, I passed the street I needed to turn onto, and then turned around again and got on it, a few more minor wrong turns later, I got to my sister’s house, where everyone apparently assumed I was dead. Even though they all know about my alarmingly poor sense of direction.

Anyway, just a little while ago, one of their friends brought some beer and cider over. So I’m having some.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:00 am

Got a call that they don't need me at work tomorrow so I'm watching Kansas City beat up on Baltimore (it's a football game, for you nerds out there), so I decided to try the peanut butter whiskey I picked up the other day which was Not Goodtm, so I have switched to vodka and pineapple juice which is Mucho Betterotm. Also I have set up a Tinder account and have gotten a match, but then she asked for money straight out of the gate to which I responded by reporting her as a bot.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:51 am

JamishT wrote:Got a call that they don't need me at work tomorrow so I'm watching Kansas City beat up on Baltimore (it's a football game, for you nerds out there), so I decided to try the peanut butter whiskey I picked up the other day which was Not Goodtm, so I have switched to vodka and pineapple juice which is Mucho Betterotm.

Would the peanut butter whiskey taste better if you mixed it in hot chocolate or... something else? Or does it just not taste like peanut butter at all?

The only good thing about working 10+ hour days (starting at FML:00 in the morning) is having Fridays off. I tried making an alcoholic pumpkin spiced coffee ("pumpkin spiked coffee"?) with some decaf, Fireball whisky, and spices. It's not terrible, though it doesn't really taste like pumpkin spice. *shrugs, takes another sip*

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:20 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:
JamishT wrote:Got a call that they don't need me at work tomorrow so I'm watching Kansas City beat up on Baltimore (it's a football game, for you nerds out there), so I decided to try the peanut butter whiskey I picked up the other day which was Not Goodtm, so I have switched to vodka and pineapple juice which is Mucho Betterotm.

Would the peanut butter whiskey taste better if you mixed it in hot chocolate or... something else? Or does it just not taste like peanut butter at all?

The other night, I mixed with with some tart cherry juice I have and suddenly I felt like I was drinking a PB&J, even though I haven't really heard of cherry jam or jelly.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:40 am

So continuing my "buy a semi-arbitrary* bottom-shelf liquor and see what happens (but actually keeping track of the name this time)" experiment, I got a bottle of spiced rum (Typhoon is the brand name). As expected, it's quite good on its own or with Coke.

*generally meaning a random inexpensive bottle of brandy, rum (spiced or regular), or vodka, as those are the ones I have a good chance of liking

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:38 pm

I found out a while ago that I like bourbon, so I thought I'd try rye (as apparently the only real difference is the ratio of corn to rye grain used). I don't like it as much, though I find that mixing it with soda (Dr. Pepper right now) helps hide the taste.

I'm at the point where textures feel weird.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext