Witch

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Witch

Postby Matthew Notch » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:04 pm

"ARRRRRRRGGGGHHH!"

The two men were struggling with the tree, attempting to break it down at the thin hinge of stump left remaining after their labors with the ax. At last the mighty pine fell away from them, landing neatly into the clearing where they'd already felled much of the forest in preparation for the new town center. They had only a few more trees to go, and then they could start on milling the logs to build a couple homes.

"Brother Dugdale, I'm going to eat my dinner now! That was the tree that did it."

"Ha! You'll best remember the tree that did us all, Brother Farrell. I'll get started on this other tree while you eat, I don't mind."

While Dugdale headed off to chop the other tree, Charles Farrell sat down with a small container of berries and pumpkin. Most of the Godly ate big lunches, while the sun was high, so he wasn't incredibly hungry, but he was terribly tired from the struggles with that forest. All things for the glory of God, though, and he lowered his head to say grace, although he fiddled some with the top button of his coat as he did. And then he felt a large object hit his head, but never heard the object hit the ground after. He suddenly felt dizzy, and as his vision blurred and his hearing grew muddier, he saw Dugdale running toward him.

"God save me, the head came off! Oh Brother Farrell, speak to me please!" But it was too late. The ax head had firmly embedded itself in Charles's brain, and he slipped into unconsciousness, his body beginning to shut down.

And then a curious thing occurred. Instead of just dying there on the forest floor, Dugdale weeping over him, he began to glow, and a faint whining sound could be heard coming disembodied from outside the forest. Dugdale stepped away from Farrell's body as it began to shine more brightly, until the light was too much to bear. The whining noise grew in pitch and intensity, and suddenly an explosion sounded. When Dugdale looked back to his companion, there were only flecks of light fluttering all about where he'd been laid.

Dugdale reported this to the town elder. The elder believed it was an accident, though a terrible and tragic one. However, the details surrounding Farrell's death gave him pause.

"This sounds like the work of the Devil. We must search Brother Farrell's house to ensure that no entry from Hell has made its way into our village."

That night Dugdale slept fitfully, tortured by the accidental killing of his friend, but traumatized by the strange circumstances surrounding his death. As if awaking from a nightmare, his eyes opened wildly, but a hand cupped across his mouth, not permitting him to scream. There were several figures in the room, though the precise number was indeterminate. One reached out for his forehead and placed a thumb and finger on either of Dugdale's temples. His vision began to change from his surroundings to something else entirely, something he couldn't recognize. He screamed in horror as the visions began to circle his head.

The next day David, the village elder, came to call on him, and saw that he'd been warped by some terror in the night. Dugdale began to stammer to the elder, muttering about visions of a grim, gray world, claiming to have seen the future and the past in one night. David's face folded into a frown, and he left Dugdale lying in his bed, still muttering. A demon was in their village now. Charles Farrell had let it in practicing witchcraft, and now it had spread to Dugdale, and to any in the council who'd been present the night before, practically the whole village. It was time for something drastic. He rang the bell and alerted the village to an emergency town meeting.

All right then. New Mafia begins! Except this game is Witch. Besides a couple of mechanics, here are the biggest differences to be had:

1. Voting for lynching is no longer a group activity. Instead, at the end of every night, David the Elder (that's me) will appoint, by lottery, a jury of six villagers who will vote to determine who will be "tried" (i.e. lynched) that day. All the villagers are certainly encouraged to advocate for who they think is a witch, but the ultimate decision rests on the jury's shoulders. This also means that I really need people who can actually play the whole game to sign up. If you're wanting to just try it out, that's fine, but if you leave in the middle of the game I will publicly shame you.

2. I am not going to reveal most of the roles publicly. By that I mean that I will not even disclose what the potential roles are. There are a couple roles that will be known to all at the beginning, and they will be explained when the game actually starts. If you do NOT want a public role, please let me know in private before the game begins.

3. Rather than put your directions for lynching or other such voting in your post in differently colored text, I request that you simply make your narrative post, then add a horizontal rule (the HR button is up top, and just add a few hyphens in the brackets to make it work) and then put only your directions below in blue text. Like I've done here! Easy peasy.

However, many of the rules are the same, and are as follows:

1. Every night the bad guys will act, as well as certain good guys who have been granted special powers. I'll do a write up to describe the events of the night (this is also when I elect the jury) and then the day round begins.

2. Every day the remaining villagers will vote (or in this case petition the jury to vote) for a certain villager they think is a witch. At the end of the day, the majority vote will lead to someone being put to death for witchcraft. If the vote is tied or if more than four jurors abstain from voting (this is also the case if they never vote, so AGAIN PLEASE PLAY THIS GAME), no one will be tried that day.

3. The village wins when all the witches are killed. However, any other victory conditions are a secret... for now.

4. For out-of-context posts, rather than making them in thread in blue text, just make them in this thread. I will leave it unlocked once the actual game begins, so you can ask any questions or discuss the game out-of-context as needed here.

5. Money makes an appearance again in this game, but it's just a single gold coin per villager, and it serves only one purpose. If you wish for a villager to be resurrected, you must contribute your coin to the church, and after five coins have been collected the Physician, whose identify is kept secret by the Village Elder, will attempt to bring a lost soul back from the dead. Note carefully that who is resurrected is not up to you, only whether you choose to provide the resources necessary to do so. However, the Physician is not the only villager who may raise someone from the dead...

6. When a player dies, if he or she had any kind of special role, that will also be revealed.

Sign-ups will continue until I have at least 26 players, but I can accommodate more as needed. I'm mostly waiting to see how many we get initially.

EDIT: Here's a roster of people so far...

1. BigBird as The BFG *
2. HarpingCarp as Carpeltonius, the town perv *
3. Overlord Moo as Josiah Smith, the man who at least is not a warlock *
4. WaitYAmIHere as Ere Himay, the barkeep (remember that A: Puritans rigorously condemned drinking in excess, though moderation was acceptable, B: the term "Puritan" was actually a pejorative, and the people it was meant to insult called themselves "The Godly, and C: Don't sweat the historical accuracy too much, anybody... this is an alternate universe if you like.) *
5. Australia as Doris Jackson, the misanthrope. This should be a stretch for our friend from down under... *
6. OrangeEyebrows as Old Nanny Orange *
7. Tablo as Timothy Lowell, the town-crier and newly made single father after his wife selfishly died *
8. Edgar Cabrera as Emmeterius L. Oxbridge, the strict and kind guy *
9. 52xMax as Nathaniel Something, possibly Nathaniel Goodwife (but probably not) *
10. julyjack73 as Ulysses Hudson, the cat-loving story-telling Deacon of the church *
11. sunglasses as Hester Green, a midwife *
12. Butts as a rock *
13. JamesT as Jeremiah Horsebladder, the town Magistrate who haunts the privy *
14. Kate as Katherine Janeway, also known as Kitty, but she may be changing her name to Karen soon *
15. CarrieVS as the youthful Felix LeChat *
16. NudgeNudge as Cailean MacNudgish, a bumbling carpenter. *
17. Psychosassic as Purity Smith, who isn't a smith *
18. DashaBlade as Charity Banks, the wealthy man's daughter and that teenaged girl that always stirs up the trouble *
19. Cullenmcpimpin as Jeptha Turdhandler, the guy with the second toilet humor related name in this game *
20. whatsmynamehere as Myn-44, the alien. (EDIT WITHIN AN EDIT: Mynn is posing as Governess Abaddon, by the way) *
21. Gash as Jack, the nobleman's son who really likes supernatural stuff, which is probably a bad deal here in this particular village at this particular point in history *
22. Glassjaw Girl as Roderick Usher, the guy who is broody and exciting
but who definitely isn't a Twilight guy *
23. doiwanttobehere as Cas, the girl who counts ALL. THOSE. HAYSTACKS. *
24. AShireForBaggins as Myfawny Darling, the town pony. Jeptha Turdhandler will be along shortly to collect your feces. *
25. Lindvaettr as Will Harper. Will Harper is farmer. *
26. Sheepman as Shep, which is an amazing name no matter who you are. I wish my real name was Shep now. *

THAT'S EEET

GOOD LUCK

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Re: Witch

Postby NudgeNudge » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:08 pm

I want in! I am desperately in need of some Mafia playing after the last game (which will be properly concluded soon, don't panic).

EDIT: I will be Cailean MacNudgish, a really clumsy carpenter.

Last edited by NudgeNudge on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NudgeNudge
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm in. My character is Felix Lechat (it's a French name but he's of English extraction; his ancestors came over with the Normans), and he's essentially Young Felice from the last game, adapted for the setting. I was looking forward to playing with him and was robbed, so I'm having him this time. In principle I wouldn't mind a public role but I don't want a role that makes having a teenaged character ridiculous so that I have to change him again.

Last edited by CarrieVS on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Kate » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Can't wait!

Katherine Janeway (that's right. Wanna fight about it? No, I didn't think so). Goes by Kitty.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby JamesT » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Well I've never played a Mafia game so I think it's time to start. Just be warned everyone: I do bite.

edit: My character is named Jeremiah Horsebladder. I am a strict man who spends an inordinate amount of time in the bathroom.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby Cordslash » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Kate wrote:Can't wait!

Katherine Janeway (that's right. Wanna fight about it? No, I didn't think so). Goes by Kitty.

I may be in the minority, but I've always liked Janeway.

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby ButtChocolate » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:02 pm

My theatre coach says I need more practice as inanimate objects, so I will be a rock. Just give me a moment to get into character: *ahem* "Mi mi mi mi mo ma miiiiiiiii..." Aaaaaaaaaand GO-

ButtRockolate wrote:...

"Comb" ~ Typical Michael
ButtChocolate
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Sausage King of Chicago

Postby sunglasses » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:08 pm

I'll be Hester Green, a midwife.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby julyjack73 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:21 pm

I'll be Ulysses Hudson, an old man who always has a story to tell (although they usually involve his cats)

Julyjack, your comment was sunshine from a unicorn's butthole. - Popeshaggy
julyjack73
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Sadly Grew Up

Postby 52xMax » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Ooh, I'm loving this game already.

This sounds like an ambitious project, Notch. Good luck with it, but whatever happens I know it's gonna be a great game.

Dammit, James, I wanted to be called Jeremiah or Jebediah. Now I'll have to settle for my second choice, Nathaniel Something. If I don't think of a better name I'm actually calling myself that. I've also been toying with the idea of playing a woman, but maybe this is not the best setting for it. A man of the frock would be cool too, ironic reasons and whatnot. Either way I'll post any changes I make to the character before signing up ends.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby JamesT » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:40 pm

52xMax wrote:Ooh, I'm loving this game already.

This sounds like an ambitious project, Notch. Good luck with it, but whatever happens I know it's gonna be a great game.

Dammit, James, I wanted to be called Jeremiah or Jebediah. Now I'll have to settle for my second choice, Nathaniel Something. If I don't think of a better name I'm actually calling myself that. I've also been toying with the idea of playing a woman, but maybe this is not the best setting for it. A man of the frock would be cool too, ironic reasons and whatnot. Either way I'll post any changes I make to the character before signing up ends.

Why not do both?

The virtuous lady Nathaniel Goodwife. It'll be like A Boy Named Sue instead of having to become tough she'll have had to grow up to be the most ladylike possible to defend against her masculine name. Then she can hunt down her mother and challenge her to a sewing contest.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:09 pm

I want in! I am desperately in need of some playing after I got killed so early on Mafia!

I'll be Emmeterius L. Oxbridge, a strict but kind man who loves life (but not witches).

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby Cordslash » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:43 pm

Kate wrote:Can't wait!

Could well be. But I believe the term would be Goody Katherine, or Goody Kathy.

Same goes for the dear Goody Helen.

Diminituve names are for girls during this period of time, ladies, and you're not 12 are you?

(I've seen The Crucible with Day-Lewis, so I'm completely authorised to say this).

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Maybe she is twelve.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Tablo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:13 pm

I'm in.I will be Timothy Lowell the town's town-crier and widowed father to little Timothy, Thomas and Christina.

OrangeEyebrows wrote:Tablo, the resident shrink
Will cure all your ills in a blink
(If you're weird or you're lazy:
If actually crazy
You're better off turning to drink)

My therapy thread
Nothing to see here keep moving ,you signature looking looker.
Tablo
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Table,Therapist and ladies man

Next