[Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE189

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: [Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE189

Postby Scarik » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:20 pm

Battle at the White Wave Valley

With about 2000 soldiers the Three Brothers and Lu Lingqi arrive in Hedong where they are met bu Xu Huang and immediately taken to the prefect.

Han Fu is a man of just over 40 and a capable civil official not known for his military skill. He has his top advisers with him, chief secretary Ju Shou and commander of forces Pan Jun. They are of course joined by Xu Huang, who is officially a senior clerk but who they know is a better soldier and commander than Pan Jun by a long margin.

Just as they arrive a handsome young man in a cavalry officer's uniform joins them as well.

Baozi gives the prefect his orders from Ding Yuan. The prefect reads them and gives them to Ju Shou who says, "Prefect, I recommend Xu Huang lead our forces in this mission. Stability requires that yourself and General Pan remain in the city."

Han Fu and Pan Jun hardly seem to need convincing and agree with Ju Shou's assessment and detail Xu Huang to take 100 cavalry, 500 infantry and 200 archers. Xu Huang bows and thanks the prefect for his trust.

He says to the unnamed man, "Junyi, see to the cavalry," and the man salutes then leaves.

The Bingzhou delegation then returns to their camp to plan.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby roobeastie » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:36 pm

As far as Zidan is concerned, planning is boring. It's obvious that's what's needed is some scouting. First, she takes Shooting Star out for a leisurely ride, seeing what she can discover about the terrain between their group and the enemies. When she returns, flush with her obvious success, it's clear that she's ready for anything.

Except... they wanted to discuss things. Make a new plan. Waste time, when clearly someone should take action. So, she once again takes it upon herself to get. things. done.

Oh sure, her mother would probably kill her new compatriots if she found out, but her mother wasn't here.

Zidan knows deep down that she doesn't have to prove herself to anyone - her father is Lu Bu, after all - and yet, she felt compelled to see what else she could find out. Sneaking into the camp wasn't easy, but she managed it. Learning a little, just enough to whet her appetite, she started working her way closer so she could get a good look at the leader. She should have known her luck was due to run out.

Like any good future tactician, Zidan was undeterred by being discovered. Waiting until she saw a good opening, she looked around at the group of soldiers advancing on her. Inspiration struck as she spotted the leader coming to see what was causing such a commotion. Running at full speed, she launched herself at the man in charge, her head cracking into his face with a resounding thud. While everyone was concerned with checking on the leader, Zidan made a run for it.

She honestly doesn't remember how long it took her to get back to her allies. All she knows was that they seemed suitably impressed with her reconnaissance work.

roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:11 pm

The bandits have three main camps - a large one, led by the notorious Zhang Yun, at Black Mountain; a smaller one at Dry Valley, and the smallest at White Lake. When they hear the name of the bandit leader who’d recently taken over at Dry Valley, none of them are terribly shocked.

“Liang Ju. Of course it is,” growls Wenchang.

“Then we can finish what we started before,” says Dewang. “He’s not as clever as he thinks he is, as long as we keep our eyes peeled for his ambushes.”

“Or we can ambush him ourselves,” says Baozi. “This path between Black Mountain and Dry Valley, that Zidan found? We’ll entice him down it, then trap him.”

“And this White Lake leader,” says Dewang. “Yuanjian doesn’t think he really is this Bo Cai character.”

Yuanjian shakes his head. “The White Lake leader is reported to be a skilled swordsman, but the Bo Cai I knew was almost useless with a sword.”

“He was a little rat of a man,” says Zidan. “Bald, dark, with a short beard, a squint, and a broken nose.” She grins.

“It might be Pei Yuanshao,” says Yuanjian dubiously.

“It could be!” says Baozi. “He’s a hanger-on of Zhou Cang’s. He and Liang Ju must have left Pei Yuanshao to lead the smallest camp, under the name of a famous Yellow Turban so they’d accept him.”

“Zidan saw former Yellow Turbans in their camp,” says Dewang, nodding to her half-crossly, half-admiringly. “I should go there as well, with my followers. Who knows what tricks they may have prepared?”

“Of course,” agrees Baozi. Wenyuan looks a little put out, but says nothing.

The talk goes on for a long time, but their choices are limited. Dry Valley is the only camp accessible by cavalry, so there the cavalry must go. Their hope is in speed and ferocity, as they will be outnumbered. But then, so they all will be.

Baozi, as usual, comes up with a strategy both simple and complex. They will take the bulk of their forces to Black Mountain and besiege it. An ambush force will go down the hidden path and wait for the relief force that the Dry Valley bandits will hopefully send, and the cavalry will strike simultaneously from behind.

“Wenyuan and a few hundred infantrymen should be able to handle the White Valley bunch,” says Wenchang. “Even failing that, they can keep them bottled in until the bulk of the army returns.”

“There’s only one thing that worries me,” says Baozi. “They will be able to see us coming for at least 200 li.”

“Leave that to me,” says Dewang. When the meeting is over, he finds a solitary place and meditates, finally letting his breath out in a long, clear whistle. Slowly, imperceptibly, the sky starts to grow hazy. It’s no dense fog, but even looking down from their mountains, the enemy won’t be able to see more than a few li.

They set out the next morning. Wenyuan, his foot-soldiers, and Dewang and his now-Black Scarves bid goodbye to the main army at White Lake. They disappear down the road, and soon the dust of their footsteps blends with the haze.

Wenyuan is five years older than the boy who first followed Wenchang, and he knows his business. The soldiers buzz about, building up a barricade, digging pits, setting up tents. At some point, he finds Dewang.

“When we attack, I would prefer if your... followers stayed out of it.” He doesn’t say ‘rebels,’ but Dewang can hear it nonetheless. It is fair.

“Very well,” he says. “If you wish to call on them, they are here.” And he well might, thinks Dewang. There are sorcerers here. The air is full of magic.

The enemy comes out soon and challenges them, hurling insults. Wenyuan’s men beat drums and hurl them back. No one wants to make the first move.

The leader’s face is swathed with bandages - a disguise, Zidan’s work, or both. He howls and bares his backside in their direction.

“Is it him?” asks Dewang.

“Of course, I’d recognize that arse anywhere,” says Yuanjian, then laughs at Dewang’s face. “But that is his voice, as I’d imagine it with a broken nose and a few teeth the poorer.”

“All right.” Dewang raises his voice as loud as he can. “Why not show your face, Pei Yuanshao?”

Several heads turn among the bandits, and Pei Yuanshao snarls, rushing forward. “Who said that? Come out and fight!”

Dewang is not about to do so, but Wenyuan is out in an instant. Dewang barely has time to whisper a few words that will hopefully alter the paths of chance before Pei Yuanshao throws his spear at the commander.

For every zhang it flies it splits until half a dozen spears crash into Wenyuan and his horse. He barely manages to parry them away, and would not have if a few had not been redirected by a gust of wind. There is no more time. The warriors clash. The fight is brief and ugly, but Pei Yuanshao has the worst of it and pulls back. Before he reaches the bandits, though, Wenyuan notches an arrow and in another instant Pei Yuanshao has sprouted feathers.

The soldiers cheer and surge forward, cutting through the bandits like wheat. They reach the camp in moments. Dewang is just considering what he might do to help, when there is a sudden rush of wind and an old man is standing nearby, where there was no one a moment before.

Yuanjian raises his sword and places himself between Dewang and the newcomer, but when he sees that it is only an old man, he steps back, a little abashed. The man does not react.

“Who are you?” asks Dewang.

"Tree Growing Toward Heaven, I am Master Black Horn," he says leaning on his staff.

Dewang pauses. He knows the sage’s reputation - everyone does - but he hadn’t expected to see the legend here. “I never knew you had anything to do with the Yellow Scarves,” he says, slowly.

“I knew Zhang Jue as a boy," he sighs, "and it was I who lead him to the mountain where he met Yellow Spirit of the South.” At that, Yuanjian lowers his sword and backs away.

"Pei Yuanshao was no Zhang Jue,” says Dewang.

"No, he was not. But I was not here for him, but for you."

Dewang is confused. How much had Master Black Horn arranged? How had he known about him?

“Oh?” he says, rather lamely.

“The Earth trembled under the footsteps of Beidi Xuanwu when he spoke to you. You who matched the Treatise of Truth against the Way of Supreme Peace and prevailed.”

The Treatise of Truth? That was an ironic name he had given his practice scroll when he was fifteen. Later, he’d done some minor magic to erase the shame of some truly horrific poetry, and much later, when he was older and had heard a few lies too many, he’d worked long and hard to teach it its other trick. Not that it had made him any wiser.

He takes a deep breath. “The Treatise of Truth was a name I gave to an ordinary scroll. As a jest, when I was an acolyte.” Faintly, he hears the noise of battle in the background and a crackling sound, but those barely register.

“The Tao is ineffable. Zhang Jue mastered the Way, and his command of the Tao was remarkable. That I would live to see another so talented, and yet so misguided is my curse.” Master Black Horn looks very grave.

“Misguided? How so?” Dewang’s eyes flicker to Yuanjian, who hasn’t moved a muscle.

"The Tao is. It binds Heaven and Earth and Man together, but it cannot command them,” says Master Black Horn. "The Han has fallen, the Mandate of Heaven waits to be reclaimed. Zhang Jue believed he could rule over the Middle Kingdom with his enlightenment and claim the Mandate, but the Middle Kingdom is of the Earth and the Tao cannot be constrained into one part of its entirety for long.”

"He may have wished for such a thing, but I have never desired power,” answers Dewang, honestly. Wenchang was destined for power. Baozi for influence. Not him.

Master Black Horn narrows his eyes. "See that you do not change that conviction. The Earth can only be ruled with the Mandate of Heaven and only one who is focused on the travails of Man can claim the favor of the Jade Emperor." He looks back to the burning camp at White Lake and gestures with his cane: "These men, they will not understand."

Dewang half-turns and sees, for the first time, the orange glare of the flaming tents.

Afterwards, he works out that no one was inside them.

Afterwards, he realizes, the battle was over anyway. It was no strategy. It must have been a lamp, overturned in the chaos, or a campfire kicked out of its pit.

Afterwards.

But now, he only sees the flames.

“Stop it!” he chokes. “Put it out!” Of course, no one hears him. No one except the two men beside him, and the clouds.

The sky opens and a downpour snuffs out the flames and the passions of the soldiers alike. They rush for cover and abandon the usual looting and plunder. Surviving bandits scatter into the woods, leaderless; those not dead and dying are bound hastily before Wenyuan’s men duck out of the rain.

Dewang sinks to his knees on the wet ground, utterly spent. He doesn’t see Master Black Horn disappear, but a few seconds, or minutes, or centuries later, he realizes that Yuanjian is helping him to his tent.

“I’m sorry,” he whispers.

“For what?”

“Zhang Jue.”

He can’t see Yuanjian’s face, but he feels the sigh. “Whatever happened, it was fated. Perhaps it was for the best.”

“Yuanjian-”

Rest, Dewang.”

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Ladki96 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:30 am

Kivutar wrote:The bandits have three main camps - a large one, led by the notorious Zhang Yun, at Black Mountain; a smaller one at Dry Valley, and the smallest at White Lake. When they hear the name of the bandit leader who’d recently taken over at Dry Valley, none of them are terribly shocked.

“Liang Ju. Of course it is,” growls Wenchang.

“Then we can finish what we started before,” says Dewang. “He’s not as clever as he thinks he is, as long as we keep our eyes peeled for his ambushes.”

“Or we can ambush him ourselves,” says Baozi. “This path between Black Mountain and Dry Valley, that Zidan found? We’ll entice him down it, then trap him.”

---------------------------

They set out the next morning. Wenyuan, his foot-soldiers, and Dewang and his now-Black Scarves bid goodbye to the main army at White Lake. They disappear down the road, and soon the dust of their footsteps blends with the haze.

Soon after, Zidan, Wenchang and Zhang He take leave of Baozi and Xu Huang's large army as well and turn into the long road that leads to the Dry Valley. As they near the camp, Wenchang tries to think of how to attack them. Baozi had wisely given them suggestions for what to do (2 Invokes) in his absence. Gathering a force all in one area is risky, right? Right?

"Perhaps, half of us should attack directly, and the other half can circle around the hills and attack them from the back," he says. "But the ride will be dangerous," he furrows his brows.

Zidan perks up at that. "Leave it to me!"

"Wait-!" Wenchang raises his voice but the young captain has already run out of the tent. He follows after her. "Just... be careful."

Zidan scoffs as she mounts Shooting Star. "Whatever." But she smiles when his back is turned.

Advantage Creation

Wenchang motivates his loyal cavalry and that of Junyi's with a stirring speech before the attack (2 Invokes).

Zidan and her maids move into place. Yet Zhou Cang seems to have made Devious Plans beforehand, and their stealth is of no use before the bright torches everywhere. Liang Ju and his fire -_-

Strategy Phase

Let's just say things didn't go according to plan <_< [1 FP and 2 Invokes spent (W), 1 FP and 1 Invoke spent (Z)]

Troops Phase - it's a trap!

A short distance from the camp, the ground falls out from under the hooves of the Cavalry Kids' horses. A flock of crossbow bolts shoot out at Zidan's Maids as they near on the other side.

Innumerable bandits fly out from the camp and attack the soldiers on Wenchang and Junyi's side with pikes. The soldiers rally together (2 Invokes and 1 FP Spent) and escape the pits.

Zidan's Maids dodge the bolts with their lightning fast horses (1 FP spent).

Leader Phase

The soldiers have barely succeeded in beating the enemies back, but it is only temporary. The bandits are still practically pouring out of the camp. Surely the estimate of their numbers was quite lower than this...?

Wenchang grits his teeth. Nothing is going to be achieved in continuing to battle against the massive horde except for senseless deaths. He calls for retreat.

Zidan scowls at the signal in the sky, but knows it's the only reasonable option here. She retreats along with her maids.

Retreat

"Are you alright?" Wenchang asks.

"Yes yes," Zidan looks around, "Where is Officer Zhang?"

Wenchang shakes his head in anger, "Captured. The bandits overwhelmed his force and separated them from us."

Zidan stamps her feet. "We need to rescue him!" She did not like the taste of defeat.

"We will," Wenchang clenches his fist. "But not now. We will only succeed in joining him in his cell. We have to report to Xu Huang and Baozi." He had come to rely on his brother so much, it was rather unpleasant to be reminded he couldn't do everything in a battle. Delegation, ppl. :P

Wenchang and Zidan race ahead of their army to Black Mountain, to deliver the unpleasant news.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Scarik » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Meanwhile at the Legion of Doom...

Liang Ju is quite pleased with himself despite his victory being minor and not resulting in the death of Wei Wenchang. The capture of Zhang He more than makes up for that though, especially once Junyou has time to inform the young captain of the political situation.

"You see, Junyi," the smug warlord says, "You were destined to fail, Mao Xu sent you against me with a pitiful force and a fool of a commander who was all too eager to abandon you on the field to save himself. In time I hope you will accept my offer of employment, but for now I must insist that you accompany back to Shangdang."

After winning, even Zhou Cang is surprised that they are leaving but Junyou silences him.

"Our defenses are now known and the Provincial Army lays siege to Black Mountain. We have no hope of sending relief by road due to their cavalry and the pass is far too slow for a sufficient force to arrive in time. Without Zhang Yan's force we cannot withstand another attack here so we will return to Shangdang and fortify the northern pass. Either Mao Xu will wait until spring to use the other pass, or he will have to face a proper fort where his cavalry will be of no use and my heavy crossbows will have the advantage of him."

"And if they return to Jianyang and attack from the north in spring with a greater force?" Zhou Cang asks.

"Then they will have to cross the river in boats as it will be too fast to ford until summer."

Zhou Cang laughs, "Then I will drown them!"

"Indeed."

And so they pack up their supplies, set fire to the camp and depart for Shangdang, leaving Zhang Yan to his fate.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:09 am

The camp at Black Mountain is no fortress, but it is a solid, relatively permanent construction. The walls are only wood but they are walls, defended by ditches and most likely by concealed spikes and other such pleasures. It also commands a position on top of a steep hill, with thick woods at its back and the majority of the open space around it covered by at least a long bowshot.

Xu Huang's force make their camp, a good two li downhill. Any closer would be too dangerous but a direct attack up the hill will be heavy going over such a distance. Baozi advises on the best defences they can make and the positioning of the sentries. They are given strict orders. That very night, a couple of mounted men leading spare horses leave the bandits' camp and make for a certain point on the edge of the open ground. The sentries do not raise the alarm, but they report it.

Not a great deal happens on the second day. Zhang Yan's men shout defiance from their walls, and Xu Huang's jeer back, but neither side makes a move in earnest. Within Xu Huang's camp, however, two hundred picked men are preparing for action.

Baozi himself accompanies them, under cover of darkness, skirting the edge of the passable area. He wants to see the ground for himself. They make it to the concealed pass to Dry Valley without being attacked, and some way further down it until the strategist is satisfied with a spot to lay an ambush. The number is about right - with the narrowness of the pass, so few might be able to hold a much larger force at bay, and any more could not conceal themselves. He gives instructions, and leaves to return to the main camp, refusing any suggestion of a guard to accompany him.

Once he is well clear of the men he has left in hiding, but still well out of sight from the mouth of the pass, Baozi leaves the path and crouches in the thickest undergrowth he can negotiate in this form. He does not want to be seen exiting the pass, alone. A few minutes later, a cat trots through the bushes, keeping a little off the path. It is well that he took the precaution, as he reaches the mouth of the hidden pass to see a slightly larger force waiting just beyond it.

It is a long walk back for a small cat, even once he is clear of the counter-strike and can move more directly in the darkness, and precious little of the night is left for sleep once he is back within their camp. Come the morning, the bandit force sent out against their ambush are still waiting at this end of the pass, but the puzzle of how best to deal with them is interrupted by more welcome news. Zhang Liang and Dewang are here - and with more men than they originally had.

Wenyuan cheerfully reports the tale of his triumph. Dewang says very little, looking utterly worn out, and Baozi immediately guesses that he has done more than the young captain knows or wants to mention.

Not long after their arrival, the cavalry detachment ride in. What is left of it. Wenchang and Zidan's companies are largely intact, but Zhang He's was not so fortunate. Few of them remain, and he himself is not to be seen. The pair tell their sorry tale. Xu Huang is furious; Baozi feels a fool, and bitterly regrets not knowing how to persuade them to make up their numbers with infantry.

Now that their entire force - less casualties - is gathered, there are more options. Zidan leads her cavalrywomen on a dash up the hill. They don't find an opening, but they weren't meant to, and sheer off at the last moment, while a contingent of infantry have already set off towards the pass amid the distraction.

Now the arrows begin to fly thickly, but the men march on bravely, and fewer fall than might have been expected. Dewang had taken Baozi aside and asked what he could do to help, suggesting extravagant illusions of extra soldiers and all manner of things. Baozi talks him down; it is not just that he worries his brother is not in a fit state, but the less frequently they use such obvious magic the better.

"Luck will be with them, at least," Dewang had insisted.

Once the cavalry have circled back down the hill, the outlaws' attention falls fully on the men circling around to the pass, and they in turn become a distraction for the rest of the army as they advance. Xu Huang seems to channel all his anger into taunting Zhang Yan into a fight. But it is Wenchang who is first to cross swords with him. The bandit puts up a ferocious fight, but he is no match for Wei Yan, and after a few exchanges, wounded, he decides to take the better part of valour.

Their troops are fighting furiously, and rapidly beating back the enemy, but in the chaos of battle it seems that Zhang Yan is about to escape, until Zidan spots his flight and turns her grey stallion to head him off. With a cry of "Shooting Star, charge!" it looks for a moment as though the bandit captain will be trampled beneath his iron hooves. But horse and rider know their business better than that, and he is only knocked off his feet, winded and face-down in the dirt with Lu Lingqi's halberd pricking the back of his neck.

Later, she accepts his service and that of his surviving followers. And he tells them what he knows - with Dewang's assurance that it is the truth as far as he knows it.

Xu Huang is still in a rage over the disaster at Dry Valley. He blames Baozi, Wenchang, and Zidan by turns, alternately decrying their incompetence and accusing them of planning the entire thing and setting Junyi up. Baozi has nothing to say. His only defence against the charge of betraying Zhang He would be to admit that he truly hoped for the cavalry to prevail against so much larger a force.

Wenchang loyally steps forward to defend him, pointing out that Baozi had suggested adding some infantry to their force, but he had declined, not wanting them to slow down the horsemen. Both of the cavalry commanders maintain that they would have succeeded had there not been twice as many foes at Dry Valley as they had expected. Baozi is not so certain, and it is plain that Xu Huang does not entirely believe in the extra bandits.

Zidan retorts that Zhang Yan is certain that Han Fu is in league with Zhang Yang, who sent Liang Ju here, and if anyone set them up to fail it was he. Xu Huang is not initially inclined to believe that either, and though Dewang insists that the captured bandit is not lying no-one can prove that he is not mistaken. But it is true that it has been the governor's troops who have twice brought battle to Black Mountain, and not the whole of Hedong's own forces.

Xu Huang is eventually placated enough to cease demanding the head of someone responsible for the debacle, largely by the assurance that they intend to rescue Zhang He immediately - or as near immediately as can be done. For now the soldiers must be allowed to rest, and they must decide how to go about it.

The next night, they see the glow of a great fire from the direction of Dry Valley.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Kivutar » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:46 pm

It is clear that Liang Ju is making for Shangdang. Dewang was born in Shangdang and knows these mountains well; there should be another pass, to the south, which even Liang Ju probably knows nothing of. There are strange tales about it, but that cannot be helped. Dewang warns his brothers and Zidan, but assures them that he can handle any supernatural terrors. Has he not dispelled ghosts, many times?

"Don't look at me like that," he says to Yuanjian, later. "I know my limits."

The army pauses briefly by Hedong. It will not do to pass by without making a report - if Han Fu truly is working with the bandits, he will use their failure to do so against them, and if not, he will be justifiably angry at their negligence.

Baozi says it is his duty as commander of the expedition to make the report in person, but he is very easily convinced otherwise - the one failure of the mission is clearly weighing on him very heavily. None of them want to send Xu Huang, who is still furious over Zhang He's capture and might say anything. Zidan is totally uninterested. Eventually, it is Wenchang who is given the thankless task, and Dewang accompanies him, partly to examine Han Fu's demeanor and partly to, as he diplomatically puts it, "help Wenchang word things elegantly."

"So Wenchang, you will say: 'We destroyed the camp at White Lake utterly and captured Black Mountain. Zhang Yan has surrendered. Liang Ju was driven out of Dry Valley and is now fleeing, but the villain managed to capture Junyi. We believe we know where he is headed, and are moving to intercept him.' No more, and no less."

"That makes it sound as if Dry Valley was a success," objects Wenchang. "I should own up to my defeat and incompetence."

"If Han Fu is a traitor, he will misuse your honesty as an excuse to stop us," says Dewang.

"I must admit my failure," insists Wenchang.

"And if he says that, having failed, you and Baozi must be replaced?" points out Dewang. "Then what will become of poor Junyi?"

"It is dishonourable to lie to a superior..." wavers Wenchang.

"What I told you to say is not a lie," says Dewang. "There's an art to these things, Wenchang, and Han Fu is not our superior. When this is over and we report back to Governor Ding, you can confess to patricide and joining the Yellow Scarves, for all I care! But for now, give him no reason to stop or delay us."

"The camp at White Lake was destroyed and the leader annihilated thanks to my brother and Zhang Liao," says Wenchang. "Thanks to Mao Xu's foresight and Xu Huang's provocation Black Mountain was a success as well. Zhang Yan has surrendered, and his men have been recruited by the awesome Zidan. As for Dry Valley..." Wenchang looks at Dewang who nods, "Liang Ju has been driven out and is currently fleeing, but the villain captured Zhang He. We believe we know where he is, and so with good reason the march is proceeding on."

Han Fu squints at them mistrustfully. "Ding Yuan will hear about your incompetence."

Wenchang glares, but has the sense to do no more than nod. Dewang discreetly consults his scroll.

He most certainly will write to Ding Yuan, and will paint things in an unfavourable light, though he will not outright lie.

"And I need a written report from you, to answer for yourselves."

That's not so bad, then. He means to delay them, but it gives them an opportunity to tell their side of the story. Over the next half-hour, Dewang writes busily. Wenchang glowers at Han Fu till the man excuses himself, and then resists the urge to go questioning the staff.

The bandit camp at White Lake was annihilated, its leader killed by Captain Zhang Wenyuan, writes Dewang. Zhang Yan of Black Mountain has surrendered and offered his services to Lu Zidan. The Dry Valley bandits were driven out, but your servants failed to capture them. They are currently fleeing towards Shangdang, and by a great misfortune, they were able to capture Captain Zhang Junyi of Hedong. We are close behind them and intend to rectify our error.

The letter finished, they make their way back to the army, arriving at about the same time the scouts are making their report.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:01 pm

The scouts report that Liang Ju has left a garrison at Shang Bei and continued on to Shangdang. He will reach the city days before they do, but there is no help for it. The army marches for the hidden pass, marching boldly by the Shanbei garrison in disguise as the Black Mountain survivors, and camp outside for one night. They will enter at the first light of dawn, in order to spend as few nights inside as possible.

Dewang spends that night preparing - whatever awaits them inside is powerful. He spends hours in a deep trance, culminating in a pure, piercing whistle.

Moments later, the entrance of his tent flies open. “Elder Brother, I have nothing but respect for your powers,” hisses Wenchang. “But for all of our sakes, do that outside.

Dewang apologizes hastily and moves out of the camp to complete his rites, and the rest of the night passes peacefully. By morning, he feels ready to deal with any devil of Hell that crosses their path.

The first day’s march is uneventful, and soon it is time to camp. Baozi orders the tents pitched in such a manner that they form the word ‘Hidden,’ in order to confuse the demons. Soon after nightfall, however, the fabric of the tents begins to shake, and then to tear. Weapons rattle, carts turn over, and they hear the spooked horses whinnying. Dewang steps outside, and calmly orders the demons to leave.

They draw off, but do not flee. Thousands of eyes gleam in the darkness around them, fierce and unblinking. Somehow, the horses and soldiers stay calm. For a moment, everyone waits.

Then, before anyone can stop her, Zidan marches to the edge of the camp. “Do you think you can frighten me?” she calls defiantly, looking directly into the largest pair of eyes. “I am not afraid of you!”

There is a great rumble of laughter, and one by one, the eyes start to flicker out. Last of all is the largest pair, which seem to glow, boring into the young girl’s eyes before they, too, vanish, just as the glow of sunrise appears over the mountain peaks.

Few of them have slept, but they are all eager to move on and spend as little time in the accursed valley as they have to. But, as the light starts to fade once more, they are nowhere near the exit.

The demons are bolder this time, but also invisible. A fierce wind blows through the camp in great gusts, tearing up tents and knocking people to the ground. Dewang once more tries to send them away, but the horrible laughter echoes once more, and the large command tent begins to rise into the air.

“Oh no, you don’t,” snaps Wenchang, and, seizing it by the corner, drags it back to the earth. There is a moment of horrible strain, and part of the fabric tears. But Wenchang stands firm as an anchor, and suddenly it goes slack. The demons screech and scatter, hundreds of small whirlwinds bursting out in all directions, tearing up bushes and scattering stones as they rush up the mountain slopes. For an instant, Dewang sees a horrible face above the big tent, sneering down at them, before it vanishes in a swirl of dust.

When everyone wakes up the next morning, there are not one but two paths in front of them. Baozi examines them carefully.

“One of them is magic,” says Dewang. He strains for a moment, trying to break through the illusion, and for an instant he does. It is little, but enough for Baozi, whose cat-like eyes pick out the small eddies and inconsistencies along the path to the right.

The last night, they are near the exit, but not near enough, and the men quite understandably refuse to march through the dark. Finally, they pitch camp and wait anxiously for whatever terrors are waiting in the night.

Everything is quiet.

One by one, they drift to sleep, thanking the gods for this peace.

Flames lick along Dewang’s skin. He tries, irrationally, to wipe them away, then to run - but the entire world is in flames. Walls loom up around him, then crumble as he touches them. In front of him, a roof crashes to the ground. Screams rise up from every side, and he stops his ears, screwing his eyes shut - and for one instant, the burning agony changes to an intense, bone-shattering cold before he starts awake.

Baozi is surrounded by people. All of them are staring at him: some are laughing, some mock him openly, others mutter under their breath but his hearing seems as keen as if he were in his cat form, though he is not.

“Look at the famous Mao Xu!”

“He was defeated by common brigands.”

“He is a fool.”

“Liang Ju has bested him twice.”

“He is incompetent.”

“He just takes the credit for his brothers’ talents.”

He begins to recognise people in the crowd. Xu Huang with a mixture of fury and contempt, “I will have your head for your incompetence.”

Liang Ju is there, laughing loudly, “Can you not even count?” The captive Zhang He is beside him, bound and beaten, “You sent me to lose.”

There are Liu Bei and Liu Yan, side by side and both looking at him scornfully. “He thinks he is a strategist just because he can play
weiqi.”

His father and mother simply look disappointed without saying anything, but his elder brother Wu takes a step towards him with his hand on his sword hilt, “Did you think that
you could lead an army? I will teach you to play at soldiers.”

Through a gap, Baozi sees a graceful grey form keeping pace with him at the back of the crowd; no-one else seems to have noticed. He tries to move in that direction, but the leopard turns its back on him as he draws near and stalks away, the picture of feline disdain. He breaks into a run, ashamed to do so but unable to bear it any more.

There is Lu Zhi, dressed in white clothes stained pink with his own blood. “You failed me.”

Baozi falls to his knees and tries to beg forgiveness, but is unable to find any words. But a part of him realises, even in the dream, that this at least cannot be. Lu Zhi is dead, but he does not appear to be a ghost, nor can this be either heaven or hell, with so many people here whom he knows to be alive.

This is not real. This is the demons of the pass. This is a vision sent to torment him. This is just another battle, just another stratagem of the enemy to outwit. The insults still sting him, but now he knows the way out. With an effort, he forces himself awake.

There are cries from every tent, as every sleeper faces their own demons. Dewang stumbles outside into a frightful torrent - the calm of the night is gone. Rocks fall, and thousands of demons, big and small, caper around, leaving terror and death in their footsteps.

"Why are you here?" he shouts at the top of his voice.

The torrent slows. Hundreds of devils swirl around in the air, and after a moment their leader, a giant red as embers, stomps up to Dewang. It stands at least ten chi tall, and raises its giant club threateningly as it booms like thunder, "Who comes to challenge the Hellspawn of Failed Ideals?"

"I am the Tree that Grows towards Heaven,” answers Dewang. “What harm have we done to you, that you trouble us so?"

There are footsteps beside him, human footsteps, and Baozi stands beside him, hardly pale. Bless Baozi.

"Tree that grows toward Heaven has roots that grow toward Hell," the monster roars. "It is you who have brought death to this place!"

"How so?"

"Your parents' graves decay and you pass by without concern. Sinful child, you shall be chewed by dogs."

Dewang is suddenly sick with horror. He knows, beyond a doubt, that the demon is right. The Hellspawn of Failed Ideals slams his club against the ground and steps forward. Boulders fall from the cliffs and with each step a dozen men die in their sleep.

"And you are here on account of that?" Dewang manages to answer.

"Heaven has abandoned the Han and so I may roam free,” laughs the demon, and prepares to charge.

“Dewang,” whispers Baozi. “They think they are invulnerable. Attack, quickly, before they think to defend themselves!”

Dewang nods and closes his eyes. It is a tremendous effort, and the demons shriek horribly, but he calls on every power he can think of. A chasm opens in the earth, and the demons are dragged into it, squealing and snarling. The Hellspawn of Failed Ideals roars, but is pulled backwards into the chasm nonetheless. Finally the valley is quiet, and in the faint light of dawn, Dewang sees two graves in front of him.

He breaks down sobbing, clinging to Baozi as his brother tries to comfort him. “You saved them all,” Baozi says, but Dewang shakes his head. “Not all of them. And I can never thank you enough but please - don't risk yourself so on my account."

"How could I live with myself if I let my elder brother face such danger and did not help him?”

“Thank you,” is all Dewang can say. “I don’t know what I have done to deserve a brother like you.” With a great effort, he pulls himself together and kneels in front of the graves. “I have a duty here, now -”

“Magistrate Mao? Master Du?”

It’s Boxiao, looking white and haggard. “Colonel Wei. Captain Lu. They won’t wake up.”

Being aware of how risky it was for her to be pulling some of the tricks she did never gave Zidan pause, that is until now. Having taken it upon herself to do some reconnaissance, she had gotten caught attempting to leave the enemy encampment. Under usual circumstances she would have tried to fight her way free, but the enemy seemed prepared for those kinds of shenanigans.

Deciding to bide her time until she could find a way to get free, Zidan was taken before the enemy leader, only to discover he was someone who not only knew who her father was, but was also devious enough to want to use that fact to his benefit. Keeping Zidan captive, he made sure she was in a slightly nicer tent that his other prisoners. Despite everything, she wasn’t actually concerned until she found out he was keeping her to be used as bait for a trap against her new friends.

Managing to get her hands on a knife, Zidan prepared to take matters into her own hands by sacrificing herself.

Wenchang feels tired to the bone. War rages around him, but that is nothing new. What is new is a beheaded Boxiao riding up to him, his head in his hands.

"You let us down, boss."

The Cavalry Kids are mercilessly cut down before his eyes. Wenchang struggles to protect them even as the
horde keeps coming. He retreats to the camps, intent on finding Baozi.

The brave kid is still clutching his sword when he finds him, lying in front of Dewang's still form. No, no,
no!

Dewang catches his eyes, and speaks, blood gushing from his mouth.

"Where were you?"

Wenchang shakingly turns and runs out in search of medical aid. He finds himself in a garden, in front of his
ancestral home. At last! He runs in to meet his beloved family but stops at the threshold, crying out in horror at
the sight.

His parents are on the mat, holding each other even in death. His siblings' bodies surround them. Lin raises
her head, with glassy accusing eyes.

"You were supposed to protect us."

Wenchang takes a halting step back, and the battlefield reappears, desolate this time, with a solitary tent in the distance.

Inside Zidan lies in a pool of blood. Her dagger is buried to the hilt in her stomach. Sinking to his knees, Wenchang cradles her head. Unbidden tears spring to his eyes.

"The Mighty King of Yan."

The Ghost King is back, dancing and leering. "He has failed to perform his duties satisfactorily, and now he has no one. That is his punishment."

Zidan and Wenchang are still and green as corpses, though they do breathe, slowly. Xu Huang is in the same condition, as well as dozens of soldiers.

“Some of the demons managed to get into their minds,” says Dewang. “Before I banished the others.” His heart feels like a stone.

“Can you save them?” asks Baozi anxiously.

“I believe so,” says Dewang, but he has only been this exhausted once before in his life. Nevertheless, he lights incense and prays. The vicious parasites are clinging desperately to his friends’ minds, knowing that they will be trapped in Hell if they leave. They twist, turn, and he can’t see them clearly, can’t catch hold.

Dewang doubles his efforts, hounding the demons harder, but he is weakening. He curses himself. After everything, he cannot save his friends…

“Let me help you.”

“Please,” is all he can gasp, and Yuanjian kneels beside him, throwing the force of his own mind against the demons as well. For a moment, the evil creatures are pushed back -

And then they turn, fighting even harder against this new assault. He feels the life-force dimming in the prone bodies in front of him, and in an instant of pure rage, finds some last well of strength in himself.

The mental demons cannot make a sound, have no claws - but nonetheless he hears their hellish snarls, feels a thousand daggers slicing into his mind as the demons try and fail to resist. In their last struggle, they release their victims and turn their ghastly attacks onto him before he flings them away, forcing them all into the innumerable cracks opening between here and the underworld.

He barely sees the frightful pallor fading from the others’ faces, before everything swims and goes black.

Yuanjian catches him as he crumples onto the ground. After a few heartbeats, his senses slowly start to return - first of all, the taste of blood in his mouth.

“I’m all right,” he tries to say, but it comes out all wrong.

“No, you’re not,’ says Yuanjian. “Don’t die, if you die, I swear-” His eyes have an odd shimmer, and Dewang feels a piercing pang of guilt. He’s caused this pain before.

“I won’t,” he says, more steadily. The world is starting to feel solid again. The dawn is a little brighter, and the sleepers are beginning to stir.

He leans on Yuanjian and opens his hand, trying to make more light, that first simple trick he’d taught his apprentices. Nothing happens, except that he feels a little dizzier. He knows better than to try again.

“I’m not dying,” he whispers. “But I've got nothing left.”

“You have me.”

Dewang lights incense at his parents’ graves and bows low. For the next few hours, he makes whatever offerings he can and begs forgiveness for being an unfilial son.

Afterwards, despite his complete exhaustion, he feels oddly at peace.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby roobeastie » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:25 pm

After what could only be called a tumultuous nights' sleep, Zidan and Dewang made their way to Shangdang for a meeting with Zhang Yang. Zidan was feeling hopeful as Zhang Yang was a friend of her fathers', and as far as she knew a man of reason. She had heard that her new friends weren't on the best of terms with him, but figured her presence could help smooth things over.

The conversation with Zhang Yang was brief and somewhat informative, but slightly awkward. Dewang and Zidan were told they could meet with Junyi, and through him they discovered that not only was he offered a job working with Yuan Shao in exchange for a pardon, but that Junyou would be getting married in a few days time. They were able to get a message to their companions, letting them know what was going on, and decided they would stay for the wedding, and to see what else Dewang could discover. Considering how harrowing their time in the woods had been for Zidan, she was happy for a respite.

While the parlay was taking place, their allies worked to scatter the raiders. In order to help bring Junyi back into the fold, a counter-offer was made jobwise, which he accepted. And for that moment, at least, things seemed calm.

roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:01 am

Dewang is writing yet another letter when Wenchang finds him, looking furious and confused.

“Elder Brother?”

‘Elder Brother’ is not a good sign. “Yes?”

Wenchang thrusts a letter into Dewang’s hands. “What is this?”

Dewang reads it, and his heart sinks. It’s addressed to him. He hasn’t seen Liang Ju’s handwriting in a long time, but he recognizes it. It’s friendly - overly friendly - and thanks him warmly for rescuing Lady Zhou from ‘that cow.’

“It’s a trick,” he says. “To make us fight. But it is true - she’s alive. I helped her escape.”

Wenchang shakes his head, “But Elder Brother killed her right in front of me.”

“It was an illusion. I sent her to an old friend in Ye, but she went back to Liang Ju anyway. More fool her.”

Wenchang makes to grab Dewang’s collar but stops himself with an effort. “You- because of you my brother’s wife is in Liang Ju’s arms right now.”

“Probably,” sighs Dewang. “Unless he discarded her, or she takes exception to Hui Qiao.”

Not only is Dewang not showing the slightest bit of remorse, but now he flippantly suggests Brother Dang’s wife may be with a whole string of men? Wenchang knocks over Dewang’s inkstone. “What has gotten into you?!”

“What has gotten into you?” snaps Dewang. “I wanted her to live. I was tired of death after death after death, for no reason!” He picks up his ruined letter and tries to sop up the ink. Behind him, Yuanjian leaps to his feet and glares at Wenchang.

“If death puts you off so much, why are you here? Death is my profession, not yours,” shouts Wenchang. “Why not stay in your blasted temple? Are you in love with her as well? Is that it?”

“How can you suggest such a thing?” says Dewang, now raising his voice as well. “I don’t even like women!” He throws the ink-smeared letter at Wenchang’s head, but Wenchang sidesteps easily.

Wenyuan, who had followed his superior inside at the shouting, steps forward. “You dare-!”

“And you dare treat your brother like this, Wei Yan? For saving a life?” retorts Yuanjian.

“Perhaps ignorant rebels should stay in their place,” Wenyuan turns on him. Yuanjian’s arm moves, but Dewang catches his wrist. Later, he will find five small bruises on it and be remorseful. For now, he ignores the other two and faces Wenchang. “What is she to you then, Younger Brother, that you want her dead so badly?”

“She’s my sister-in-law! You think that’s all this is? Not that my other brother is in pain, or that she has wrought disharmony out of her own selfishness. Why do you care if one unvirtuous woman lives or dies?”

“If his pain is only eased by murder, then he deserves it! And you stand in front of me like this and shout about disharmony at the top of your voice?”

Wenchang closes his eyes, and wearily asks, “Why wouldn’t you tell me?”

“Because you do this every time I tell you anything.”

“So, rather than face an angry conversation with your brother, you prefer him to find out from his detested enemy. Thank you, Elder Brother. Now I know,” Wenchang says tightly. He turns to go.

“Because your elder brother is a fool and a coward,” says Dewang, quietly.

“No, he isn’t,” Wenchang says immediately, turning back.

“I should have told you. At least after it was all over.”

“I didn’t mean what I said about the temple.” Wenchang looks down, and picks up the inkstone.

“I know. I’m sorry, I should have trusted you.”

“You have nothing to apologise for. I behaved atrociously.”

Wenyuan cocks his head at the unexpected words, and catches Yuanjian’s raised eyebrows.

“As did I,” says Dewang. “I shouldn’t have kept it from you, I shouldn’t have shouted, and I certainly shouldn’t have thrown that letter at you.”

“And I shouldn’t have ruined it,” Wenchang gestures with the inkstone, placing it back.

“It doesn’t matter,” says Dewang.

Wenchang picks up Liang Ju’s letter and tears it. “No one is going to talk or listen to that monster as long as I'm around.”

“About that,” says another voice, and everyone turns. It’s Zibin, who must have stolen inside while no one was paying attention. “If you’re finished, now, I saw Miss Lu heading towards the city a few minutes ago. She appeared… intrigued. You might want to look into that.” He delicately puts a nut into his mouth.

Wenchang groans and storms out of the tent, Dewang right after him and the others close behind. They hurry towards the city.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:08 am

After their first meeting with Zhang He after reaching the city, Baozi motions him aside. He is relieved to find out for certain that their captured ally was well treated and has already secured a way out of his imprisonment, but still he feels responsible for the loss of his company and original position.

"I pray you will forgive me, Junyi," he starts awkwardly, not quite looking the man in the eye, "for the failure of my plans at Dry Valley. Please believe me, that I miscalculated, but I did not intend to sacrifice you and your soldiers."

Junyi looks slightly startled, then shrugs. "It's ok. Yuan Shao pays better than Han Fu anyway." He does not sound truly happy about his new employment but nor does he seem distressed about it. Still, Baozi is aware that it was not a free choice.

He asks tentatively about the position Yuan Shao is offering him, and learns that he will be a captain of cavalry - which might well be to his liking. But, he ought not be forced to it because of Baozi's failure.

"Would... If - if we can get you away from the city without starting a war... I do not have a company of cavalry to offer you, the position would be of clerk... only if you would prefer it to working for Yuan Shao, of course. That is... I mean to say... I could use a man of your talent." It will be a higher position than captain, but he may not want it all the same. Or he may not want to work for Baozi.

The young officer takes a short while to consider, no doubt trying to make sense of that ham-fisted mess of an offer, but finally says "Alright. I won't resign from my new post yet, but if I can get away without fighting, I will work for you as a clerk."

Even added to Zhang Yan's more definite but less credible word, what Zhang He can tell them about Zhang Yang's dealings with bandits is slender evidence for the action they would like to take. But they never really doubted it, and from the Governor's words he will be very ready to believe it too. Over the next few days, Dewang is able to ingratiate himself with several in the administration of Shangdang, and what he is able to report back is enough for Baozi to decide that they have reason to act.

"Of course we will have to take him by force," Dewang says. "He will hardly surrender willingly." He looks uncomfortable. He has already mentioned a few times that this is his home town, especially since Baozi had ordered their army to camp at the site of former siegeworks around the city, and begin rebuilding them. He would prefer to avoid a siege in any case, but here he is almost desperate to find another solution, as it would cause his brother so much pain.

Clearly they - or rather he; it is surely his place to do so - ought to confront Zhang Yang and demand that he deliver himself to justice, if only as a precursor to attempting to seize him. But he has been delaying it.

Certainly, it should be carefully planned. They will doubtless have only one chance to take him without besieging Shangdang, and with both the cunning Liang Ju and the Hui twins to contend with at once, on top of the city's regular garrison, it cannot be expected to be easy. But in truth he dreads the encounter. In the first place, Zhang Yang must deeply resent him already, for having been given his former post. Baozi can think of plenty of ways in which he might twist the truth to deny the accusation and try to throw it back on them. On him.

He has retreated to the sanctuary of his private tent and had little to say to anyone, as he tries to work out what to do and how, and summon the courage to begin. He is acutely aware that the delay is to no benefit. It is cowardly. He is shirking his duty - unless his fears are quite justified, in which case he is simply incapable of it. But just as he has almost made up his mind and steeled himself to act, Xu Huang requests to see him.

He politely but unabashedly states that he is returning to Hedong. His duty, he says, is done, in driving out the bandits from White Wave Valley, and he does not feel that it is right for him to take a part in their personal grievance with Liang Ju. He waits patiently for an answer, as Baozi tries and fails to find the right words to explain that Zhang Yang is their goal, that his orders extend to officials who are colluding with bandits, and that Liang Ju's entanglement in the situation is an unlooked-for complication.

His loss is a blow but not a very great one. Gongming takes only a small fraction of their soldiers with him, and though his personal abilities would have been valued, they are not short of capable officers. But Baozi worries. Perhaps he is right, and their quarrel with Liang Ju - and with the Huis - is clouding his judgement. Do they really have enough evidence to prove Zhang Yang's guilt? In the circumstances, he has little doubt that the Governor will believe their claims about his actions, but can they be certain it is really true? He recalls the oath he swore earlier in the year never to abuse power; is he doing so now?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:46 pm

“Welcome to my home, Lingqi.”

Zidan cautiously enters the garden. So this is the famous man. She doesn’t know what to make of him. “Hello.”

“Sit, please.” Liang Ju smiles at her.

Zidan does so, and a maid steps forward to pour tea. “Why did you invite me?” she asks.

“Because I’m worried about you, young lady,” Liang Ju says seriously. “Does your father know that Wenchang ordered you to charge into heavy crossbows?”

“You mean your crossbows?” Zidan sips.

Liang Ju puts a hand to his heart. “I deserve that. But you witnessed who won that little show,” he smiles devilishly. “And my military force is legitimate now. Think of what we could accomplish.”

“We?” Zidan says in wonderment.

Liang Ju spreads his arms. “Join me, my dear.”

For a moment Zidan looks overjoyed, but then she remembers herself. "I cannot. My mother has ordered me to stay with the Brothers."

The man clenches his fist under the table. "Ah, is that all? I can take them on as well, never you fear," he says lightly.

Zidan gives him no reply, thinking.

Noticing her scepticism, Liang Ju snaps his fingers. Two servants hurry away. "How well do you know those men anyway?"

Zidan's brows knit. "Mother trusts Administrator Mao."

"Baozi is a fine scholar," the man dismisses him, "I'm talking about his brothers."

Zidan looks at him questioningly.

Liang Ju straightens back. "My my, in all these months did Wei Yan never find a moment to tell you about the time he tried to slay my dear wife, Lady Zhou?"

Zidan is shocked, yet curiosity gets the better of her. "What do you mean?"

Liang Ju then tells her a story of a couple in selfless love and of monsters with murderous intentions.

"...and so we were reunited in Bei Ye, Dang Fu and Wei Yan notwithstanding," Liang Ju finishes with a smile.

Zidan is about to say something when the gate opens again. The servants have returned, leading a beautiful and almost certainly very expensive mare inside. Zidan gets up and goes to them. She softly strokes the mare.

Liang Ju notices Zidan's look of awe and laughs. "She is yours."

Zidan, thankfully, is not with Liang Ju at the moment they enter. Wenchang peels off immediately to catch up with her, and Dewang storms up to Liang Ju, who is sitting alone with his tea, watching Zidan ride around the garden.

The man has changed little in appearance over the past five years, and doubtless his morals are no better. In a burst of anger, Dewang flings the basket of plums onto the ground beside him, as hard as he can manage. “Common murderers and lechers should stay away from young girls!” he barks.

Liang Ju appears more amused than anything. He puts down his tea and frowns at the fruit. "Those were expensive," he says. "Madame Taozi picked them for me herself."

“So much the better,” says Dewang, stamping on one of them. He is vaguely aware that losing his temper will serve his enemy rather than himself, but it’s far too late. “If you so much as look at her one more time, I’ll send you to Hell with all of the other demons.”

"Begone, sorcerer, before I change my mind about killing you here and now."

Dewang glances over. Wenchang and Zidan are talking earnestly, and he trusts his brother to extract her from this mess. Certainly, he is not helping. He shakes his sleeves and leaves the garden with as much dignity he can muster.

“That was a farce,” he sighs, outside. “I believe I made a fool of myself.”

“The plum juice on your nose probably didn’t help,” says Zibin.

“On my nose?” asks Dewang, making it worse.

“Hold still,” says Yuanjian. “Here they come. It’s getting dark already, we’ll need to hurry."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:16 am

"Lu Lingqi!"

Zidan looks back and rolls her eyes, already playing out the scolding in her head.

Wenchang catches up to her. "What do you think you're doing?"

Zidan narrows her eyes. "Visiting my father's friend?"

"Your father's friend is a common criminal; an enemy of Bingzhou's peace," Wenchang says harshly.

"He has been pardoned. Besides, he has a good win record."

"Is that why you want to join him? For a crown of victories?"

Zidan opens her mouth, but says nothing. She abruptly kicks her mare into high gear. Wenchang determinedly gives chase.

"What do you want, Zidan?" he calls out. "What do you wish for?"

"To prove myself!" Zidan turns back in fury. "My whole life, I have only been given chances because of who my father is." She lifts her chin, "My mother sent me with you all. I want to show everyone my joining wasn't a mistake."

Wenchang halts. Is that all this is? "No one thinks your presence is a mistake," he says amusedly. "You have proven yourself. Didn’t your defiance save our lives and ensure a peaceful night in that cursed pass?" Well, before hell opened up a couple of days later anyway but that's neither here nor there. "And you defeated Zhang Yan in battle."

Zidan looks down. "You're just saying that to make me feel better and not like a failure."

Wenchang's smile vanishes. Damn him, he forgot too easily how young the girl is. Zidan's mare starts trotting away.

"...Your recklessness is just a show, Zidan," Wenchang says to the retreating figure. “You can be so much better than this.” When Zidan doesn’t answer immediately, he presses on, “You retreated the moment my signal went up in Dry Valley. You got your maids out safely and securely. If that is not good leadership, what is?”

The girl doesn’t turn around. “I didn’t want anyone to get hurt, that’s all.” Wenchang swears in his head. How in the ten hells is he supposed to get through to her?

Zidan debates internally, but finally calls over her shoulder, “And how do you know I can be so much better?”

Wenchang looks up. “Would you harm innocents in order to prove yourself? To come out on top?”

“Not if I can avoid it,” Zidan replies at once.

“Then you are already miles better than your would-be employer,” Wenchang says simply.

“Oh.” Zidan turns around. “Well, do I have to give her back?” she pouts as she strokes the mare’s head.

Wenchang can’t fathom any reason for accepting Liang Ju’s gifts, but if the girl has fallen in love with the fine beast… “She is a gift, isn’t she?”

Zidan giggles, and Wenchang smiles. They start riding. “Anything else on your mind?” he asks.

Zidan cocks her head. “Why did Liang Ju say that you attempted to murder his wife?”

'His' wife? Wenchang could kill him. "Because she is my brother Dang Fu's wife," he says angrily. "Her affair with Liang Ju does not make her first marriage any less valid. And if Elder Brother wanted to kill his wife for her infidelity, of course I would support him."

Well, now the situation is a little clearer. Zidan can understand Wenchang’s motivations. She quietly watches him cool down. "I take it you don't want to work for him, then."

Wenchang would laugh if they were anywhere else. "I have no desire to work with men who burn down villages," he says, looking at Liang Ju in the distance. Dewang seems to have left. "We should go."

Zidan nods slowly, lost in thought.

Last edited by Ladki96 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:40 pm

Baozi has still been avoiding people, but both of his brothers came to tell him earlier that Zidan had gone to visit Liang Ju and they were going to put a stop to it.

“Wou- do you think I will be of any help?” he asks anxiously. Speaking to Liang Ju would be even worse than Zhang Yang. To his relief, they decline his assistance.

Does this change anything? Well, surely Wenchang and Dewang will be able to convince Zidan of Liang Ju’s nature. It is hardly going to dispose him - or Zhang Yang - any worse toward them. It is possible it will come to fighting sooner rather than later, of course. But then there are the Huis.

They very likely still want to kill him. And if they are going to make an attempt, when both of his brothers - and Zidan - are out of the way might be the time they choose. Of course, they will probably not try anything before dark, by which time Dewang and Wenchang may be back.

They are not.

He warns the guards to keep a particularly sharp watch tonight, making a point of being visible, and then returns to his tent as if to retire for the night. A bundle of spare clothing arranged under his blanket might fool someone for a few moments, and a few minutes later he slips out of the tent in the shape of the little tabby cat, and into Dewang’s, which is nearby. He stays awake, and tries not to pry into his elder brother’s things - it is not that he thinks Dewang will mind, but he feels wrong to be in here.

The attack comes a little later than he would have guessed. He hears fighting outside and draws his sword before slipping out. There are men in dark clothing all around - more than two dozen of them, not enough for a general attack on the camp, and indeed they are silently focussed on assailing the officers’ tents. The guards are starting to drive them back but there are not enough of them to engage them all immediately.

Someone has clearly just burst into Baozi’s own tent. He follows and surprises the man just as he is realising that he has not stabbed a sleeping person. He is quick to recover, shockingly so, and it is only the heartbeat it takes him to untangle his blade from the bundle of cloth that allows Baozi to dodge his lightning attack, and find an opening for his own weapon.

Two short whistles sound from outside, and the sounds of fighting change. Baozi looks, and sees some attackers fleeing, a few hard-pressed and fighting their way back towards the edge of the camp. Others lie dead. Junyi, splashed with blood that doesn’t look to be his own, is surrounded by several dark-clad bodies and in the act of driving his spear through the neck of another.

A few of the attackers are captured. Baozi sees one of them reach into a pocket and then clap his hand to his mouth before his captors can stop him. Very soon he begins to groan and grows very pale. It is not long before he is still, and all the others succeed in poisoning themselves too. All they can do is examine the bodies: if there was any doubt in Baozi’s mind that they came from the Huis it is dispelled by the tattoo of a dragon coiled around a tree upon each back. But that can hardly be raised as proof.

His brothers and Zidan, when they return, are far more concerned than is merited by arriving after all is safely dealt with.

The next day, Baozi is resolved. He still dreads confronting Zhang Yang, but it must be done. Wenchang lends him Wenyuan as a guard, and he takes Junyi as clerk, but a clerk who can serve just as well as another guard, if called on.

"I have heard testimony that you have aided bandits in their crimes,” Baozi says, a little too quickly, “and that Liang Ju was acting on your orders at White Wave valley. I require you to submit to justice."

Zhang Yang shifts nervously, but speaks after a few moments. "Well, you see,... I understand you and your compatriots have a feud ongoing with Liang Ju, but that's no reason to impugn me with anonymous rumors.” He has doubtless guessed this interview was coming and rehearsed his argument. It isn’t entirely without truth: Baozi’s brothers especially had been dearly hoping to settle with the scoundrel for good.

But that was not to be, and Ding Yuan instructed Baozi to bring Zhang Yang in line. "Liang Ju has been pardoned for his crimes. Whatever private quarrels there may be between my brothers and him must be put aside. You have not been pardoned and my orders require me to arrest you."

The prefect had been looking past Baozi with studied unconcern but now he looks him straight in the eye, clearly startled. It takes a short while for him to collect himself this time, but he makes a good show of calm when he does reply. "I'm sure you weren't sent to execute me, or you wouldn't still be talking, so I'm sure I can still be useful to the Governor alive. Surely we can work out something."

"What did you have in mind, to convince the Governor that he will be able to rely on you?" Baozi asks. He is right, more or less. A Zhang Yang sufficiently chastened not to dare to stray from his duty, at least for a time, will be more of an asset than a dead Zhang Yang or an unemployed and resentful one.

He offers to pay a fine “to cover your travelling expenses,” which is fair and usual, but the amount he suggests at first is equivalent only to a caning. His negligence in failing to bring an army against Dong Zhuo, especially as he did not quell the bandits which were his excuse, is severe enough to warrant a more severe beating. But his conniving with the bandits in addition to that could be argued to deserve exile, or at least imprisonment.

Baozi raises the amount to 12 guàn, equal to the shortest term of imprisonment. No less than he has deserved by his conduct, but too harsh a punishment risks leaving him too resentful to be trusted.

Zhang Yang makes another offer, and eventually they settle on 6 guàn, equal to the most severe beating, or about three months of the prefect’s pay. Baozi leaves content, though he senses disappointment from his brothers when he suggests that their orders are fulfilled.

As Baozi goes off to face Zhang Yang, Dewang briefly considers resting, then decides against it. The situation is too dangerous for him to disappear, weakened though he is. Finally, he decides to visit the archives and see if he can learn anything, anything at all, about the cult.

Considering how little he could find in Nan Pi, the cult’s heartland, he doesn’t expect to find much. Nevertheless, he and his two followers rummage through dusty scrolls for hours, and to his surprise, their efforts are somewhat rewarded, in the form of a book on ‘Cults of the Western Barbarians.’

“This one seems to fit,” says Dewang. “A tree, with fruits of knowledge and immortality.”

“And a dragon,” says Zibin, pointing lower.

“There’s a woman eating one of the fruits,” says Yuanjian, tapping the illustration. “Is that the princess?”

“I don’t think she’s a princess,” says Dewang. “It says the dragon convinced her to eat one of the fruits, but the Jade Emperor cast her out of Heaven for the transgression.”

“For the transgression of seeking wisdom? That can’t be right.”

“It isn’t clear,” says Dewang. “Of course a dragon would bring wisdom - oh, Zibin, don’t.”

“I’m just illustrating the story!”

“Now we have to buy the scroll,” sighs Dewang. “Actually, I should anyway. Younger Brother will be interested.”

“Shall I put it back the way it was?”

“That’s not how it was. Don’t be obscene.” The dragon moves a little lower on the page. “That’s better. Let’s go back and show my brothers.”

Baozi is indeed interested, but no one can see any way in which this new information about the cult helps them. Furthermore, now that Zhang Yang has paid his fine and is at least theoretically on the right side of the law, there is no excuse for them to stay much longer.

“Let’s draw them out,” says Wenchang. “Send them one of their antidotes as a wedding gift. Hui Jiao was furious last time, when he only smelled it.”

No one can think of anything better, but the Huis and Liang Ju have walled themselves up in their compound, and their only response is silence.

The wedding is in three days, and though all are curious about it, none of them are eager to fight the cultists, and Baozi is strongly against sparking a war with Yuan Shao or even angering the twins’ father. Dewang can’t counter that logic, and the warriors feel that they have wasted enough time. Reluctantly, they withdraw and return to the capital.

Many thumbs to Kiv. I only wrote the first bit.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:56 pm

The temple appears exactly as he left it, as if no time has passed, and it heartens Dewang to see it. His apprentices are delighted to see him as well, and waste no time disabusing him of the impression of timelessness. "Pan Jie’s married her fisherman after all,” says Cuiying. “She still comes back occasionally for lessons, though. The Lin sisters are both in town working for Dong Bao. Oh, and guess who finally took your advice about the apothecary?"

"Waited till you were gone, of course," adds Bitong.

Dewang laughs. "I should have strictly forbidden him from the beginning. He'd have been apprenticed last year."

"When you're next in town, can you strictly forbid him to return my copy of the Huangdi Neijing?" says Fuli. "Oh, and Master Du, you'll have to talk to Guo Fen.”

"What is it this time?"

"Half a dozen frogs under Mrs. Zhang's stall outside," says Bitong. "She swore she'd pack it all up and leave."

"And did she?" says Dewang, hopefully.

"No such luck."

"Then I'll have to talk to him," sighs Dewang. "Never do that again, and if you must, add a snake or two and a cupful of spiders."

"I think Zaitian told him something of the kind," says Cuiying. "Zu Wei and Jia Fu have all sorts of questions for you, about their examinations next year."

"Of course, I'll talk to them tomorrow morning," says Dewang. "What about Su Xia?"

"He isn't certain yet. Xufeng's been working on him, though."

"Excellent," says Dewang. "And how is little Peng Nuan?"

Fuli smiles. "She can make a full flame now."

"What?" says Dewang. "She's how old? Seven?"

"About," says Bitong. "Cuiying's been coaxing her along."

"No need to push too hard," says Dewang, but he’s excited to see what the little girl can do. She is what he imagines the young Fuli must have been - shy, quiet, and more powerful than any child ought to be.

Xufeng and Zaitian return, carrying piles of papers that make him groan. “Are those the essays?”

“Most of them.”

“I’m never leaving, ever again,” Dewang sighs.

A winter evening, like countless others. Very late. The moon is new. Dewang sips his tea and forces his eyes away from the window, trying to forget the unease that comes over him whenever he remembers the cult they have twice left unchallenged.

He shelves the Analects and sits down. Yuanjian has been making an honest effort, but it was tedious for both of them, and Zibin’s arrival was an excellent excuse to stop. Besides, he’s sleepy.

“How on earth did you take so long?” he asks. “The children should be asleep.”

“Oh, ages ago,” says Zibin. “I was crossing swords with your man Zaitian.”

“Any particular reason?” asks Yuanjian.

“His terrible handwriting,” says Zibin. “All the children are copying it, and it makes my life much more difficult.”

Dewang laughs. “As long as you are both undamaged, I’ll pretend I heard none of that.”

“No injuries, except to my poor eyes,” says Zibin, pouring himself some tea.

An evening, like any other. They talk, as always. There is news of Yellow Scarf rebels rising up again - two provinces away, and Baozi and Wenchang are not worried yet, but it’s a topic that has been weighing on Dewang. He’s been avoiding talking about it, but for some reason, as it starts to get very late, he breaks.

“And if the trouble comes here, what will you do?” he says, carefully looking down into his cup.

“We’d ask you, of course,” says Yuanjian promptly.

“I don’t tell you what to do,” says Dewang. “What would you want?” He’s terrified of the answer, and doesn’t quite understand why.

“Master Du-”

“Don’t ‘Master Du’ me,” says Dewang, more snappishly than he intended. Yuanjian hesitates, but to his surprise, Zibin grins.

“I feel tired, all of a sudden,” he says. “Yuanjian, don’t disappoint me.” Before either of them can say a word, he’s gone.

“What does he mean?” asks Dewang helplessly.

“Ignore him.” Yuanjian frowns. “We aren’t about to take off and rejoin the Yellow Scarves, if that’s what you’re asking.”

“I don’t know what I’m asking.” Dewang can’t stop the words any more. “I’m not going to lead a rebellion. If you want me to, or if you want to stand against this corrupt state, or raise the Yellow Banner and take the Mandate of Heaven, then you should leave. I am a schoolteacher.”

“Are you sending me away?” asks Yuanjian, very quietly.

“No!” says Dewang. "It’s just - I'm not what you want me to be.”

"Are you so sure of that?"

Dewang shakes his head. "I'm not sure of anything. I never have been."

"I am sure of one thing," says Yuanjian.

"And that is?"

"You."

Words entirely fail Dewang, but that's all right. He doesn't need them.

As Baozi enters the temple, he sees a flicker out of the corner of his eye. He turns, but sees nothing but a painted monkey on the wall. A few more strides, and he’s in the anteroom - A glance shows the monkey pressed against the frame of the door. Two more steps, and he whirls around, this time quickly enough to spot the monkey tiptoeing along after him. It freezes an instant too late, and its painted eyes blink twice.

“Shoo!” says Baozi, waving at it. It scampers off just as Dewang comes in and greets him.

“Zibin’s work,” his elder brother sighs.

“Who, me?” says Zibin, appearing in another doorway. “I did nothing.”

“Then you taught whoever did it,” says Dewang.

“I think it must have been you, Master Du,” says Zibin. Dewang only rolls his eyes and shows Baozi further in, and as he does so, a small girl runs up and places a black kitten into Baozi’s hands.

Baozi is a little taken aback, but he cradles the kitten and thanks her; she smiles and disappears. Dewang finally shepherds Baozi into his private study for some tea, and soon they are joined by Cuiying, who greets Baozi very politely.

“Administrator Mao, is it possible that you are hiring any minor clerks?” he asks. “A couple of the oldest are looking for positions.”

Baozi stammers, eventually managing to say that he will consider it. Before the others respond, two boys about ten years old stick their heads through the door, waving frantically. Cuiying hastily exits to deal with whatever the trouble is.

"You are very busy here,” says Baozi, and Dewang just smiles. “Two hundred pupils keep things interesting.” He seems happier than Baozi has ever seen him, though, and Baozi accepts an dinner invitation with “everyone,” which turns out to mean all of the teachers and the two Youxia as well as Dewang.

It’s pleasant enough. Zibin begins to tell tall tales, the first being about flower elves, and Baozi isn’t certain how he should respond.

“The things Zibin says fall into three classes,” explains Yuanjian solemnly. “The first class, you shouldn’t believe a word of. The second class is absolutely true in every detail. It’s best to pretend you never heard a word of the third class.”

Baozi isn’t sure whether it’s a joke or not, so he looks at his plate. Bitong surreptitiously signals him “one,” “two,” and “three” with his fingers at various intervals at dinner, which seems to provide some guidance. Finally, Fuli and Xufeng rescue him and show him some interesting books in the temple library. It was all a little overwhelming, but not unpleasant.

The instant Wenchang sets foot on the temple grounds, two piles of snowballs on either side of the path pick themselves up and fling themselves at him one by one, most landing. As he shakes his head in confusion, two boys jump up from behind a snowbank, hands clasped over their mouths in horror. “It was meant for Mrs. Zhang!” They apologize profusely.

“Your aim was poor,” says Wenchang. He picks up one of the snowballs and neatly knocks off one of the boys’ caps, and they flee giggling - straight into the hands of Bitong, who knocks their heads together before releasing them.

“Sorry, Colonel Wei. They’re incorrigible.”

“Wenchang!” Dewang puts down his scroll and gets up to greet his brother.

Wenchang bows, "Good evening, Elder Brother." He straightens and smiles, "I have come to invite you to Lin's wedding."

After entirely too many congratulations, Dewang immediately begins planning Wenchang’s wedding as well, to his brother’s alarm.

"Please, I get enough of that at home. I'm not interested in marriage anyway, not when I have seen what it does to men like Dang Fu."

“That was a shame,” agrees Dewang. “At least, it is over.”

"Not entirely," Wenchang looks at Dewang steadily. "I am morally obligated to tell him."

“Tell him she is alive?” says Dewang, incredulous. “It would only hurt him further. Or what if he does something foolish, like storm Nan Pi looking for her?”

"Then that would be his choice, and I will help him where possible," Wenchang says, as if it were obvious. "I would want to know if my spouse was alive."

Dewang sighs. “If you must. At least, make sure you keep my name out of it.”

Wenchang looks confused. "Why? How would I convince him she is alive if it wasn't magic?"

“Tell him whatever you want. Let him think it was the Yellow Turbans who attacked him the week after, or the sorceress Liang Ju married last fall. Anything.”

"Are you actually asking me to lie?"

“So you intend to tell him that I saved her? What will you say when you find me dead the next day?”

Wenchang is taken aback. "What?! You think- even if he wanted to, do you really think I would let him?"

“Of course not! But you’d risk it, by telling him.”

"So I should blame somebody else, and when that somebody else is found dead the next day, that's alright?"

“Or you could keep quiet about it and leave well alone!”

"What are you so afraid of?" Wenchang stands up. "You know Dang Fu won't get near you. He deserves to know."

“You can tell him she is alive, and leave it there,” tries Dewang. “He won’t have any particular reason to suspect me. If you do tell him, then one of your brothers will want to kill another. Probably someone will end up dead. You can’t want that.”

Wenchang looks down at that. "Alright. I won't tell him anything." He glares at Dewang. "You have created a mess."

“I don’t regret saving her,” says Dewang, stiffly. “But I do regret involving you in this.”

"Not by your own choice, though, was it?" Wenchang can't resist. "If I hadn't got that letter-"

“We’ve been over that,” sighs Dewang. “When is the wedding?”

"In a month," Wenchang snaps.

“Will you still be angry by then?”

"Will you have created some new trouble?"

“Hopefully not.”

Wenchang nods. “A month should be all right.”

“Will an hour be enough for dinner, at least?” tries Dewang.

Wenchang bows his head. "Of course. Sorry."

“Don’t apologize,” says Dewang. “I put you in an impossible position. I should be apologizing.”

Dinner is strained, of course, but not as strained as it might have been.

Last edited by Kivutar on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

PreviousNext