[Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE189

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: [Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE189

Postby Kivutar » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:05 pm

“You could leave the scouting to Ma Xiao,” says Dewang. It’s two days into the journey, and Zidan has already left the main party three times to ride ahead.

“They’ll have left an ambush,” points out Zidan. “You don’t want to walk into it, I’ll be able to spot it ten li off.”

“And if you don’t?”

“I will,” says Zidan, simply.

“They’ll want to capture you most of all,” says Dewang. “Why take risks after the war?”

Zidan snorts. “Risks? What risks?”

As she rode away from Dewang and the others, his words rang in her head. She felt as though he didn’t believe she could handle herself, and that made her angry. She knew what she was doing, and furthermore, she felt as though she had already proven herself and then some.

Besides, somebody needed to check for ambushes and traps, and she was far better at that than most of their retinue.

“Where is Zidan, anyway?” says Dewang. It’s the evening of the fourth day. “I swear I saw her come back to camp. She can’t have ridden out again! It’s almost dark!”

None of the leaders have seen her, but Ma Xiao - Juzi - seems to know anyhow. “She probably went back north a little. Don’t worry, she’ll return soon enough.”

“Where we came from?” says Dewang, astonished. “Now? Why?”

Juzi shrugs. “She does that.”

Proper scouting didn’t just involve the path ahead. One also had to keep an eye on the way they came, to make sure their tracks were somewhat covered and that they weren’t being followed. That her scouting trips also got her away from Dewang for a little while was just an added benefit.

“One of these days she’ll run off a cliff just because she was told not to,” sighs Dewang. “Or push someone off that she shouldn’t have. It’s all very well her mother asking us to keep her safe, but she didn’t say it would have to be from herself!”

"Dewang," says Yuanjian, drowsily, "It's almost the second watch. If you do not go to sleep at once, I will call you 'Master Du,' and I won’t stop until you sleep."

"Unfair," grumbles Dewang, but Yuanjian laughs and cuts his protest short, and soon he drifts off.

From what Zidan can figure out, if it was up to Dewang she would be having absolutely no fun at all. At least some of the others were more willing to entertain her whims in order to break up the tedium. And sure, she should have expected that Dewang would assume the worst and blow it all out of proportion.

She was growing increasingly frustrated by his insistence on treating her like a child. And yet, she refused to say anything to him about it. He was both older and more respected than she was; the only thing she really had going for her is her name, and even that wouldn’t be enough to allow her to get away with being rude.

Dewang is resigned to Zidan’s scouting by the fifth day, but he wasn’t expecting the horse-races.

“You should know better than that,” he glares, directing it at her black turbanned co-conspirator. The man mutters an apology and edges away, which Dewang ignores.

“Are you trying to get yourself captured or killed, Miss Lu?” he sighs. Zidan only replies with a scowl before taking her leave.

“She’s definitely trying to ruin me, at any rate,” chips in Zibin. “Do you know how much I lost on Huang Tu? He plays dirty, but it looks like she was his match and more.”

Dewang pretends he didn’t hear that.

The scowl was not nearly as sour as it could have been. There was a part of Zidan that knew and understood her behaviour came with its own set of potential issues. Much as she wanted to believe that she was far harder to capture or kill than Dewang obviously assumed, he might have had a point.

Possibly.

Early in the morning, Zidan comes galloping back in. The men have not yet finished their morning meal, but there is more than enough light to see by.

“I found the ambush,” she reports. “They’re hiding behind the ridge, two hours’ march ahead of us.”

“How many?” asks Dewang.

“At least four times as many as us.” Zidan wrinkles her nose. “Untrained rebels. We might be able to take them.”

“Might?”

Zidan shrugs. “We could lead them out. Separate them. Trick them somehow. Or we could go around. There’s another road just a little to the east, and I don’t think they’ll have covered it.”

Dewang tries to hide his surprise. “What do you think?” he asks, noncommittally.

Zidan’s shoulders slump a little, but she gestures east. “They’re not the main army. No point in taking that great a risk for nothing. Although it would be fun...”

“Your mother would rather see you sooner, and safe,” agrees Dewang.

Zidan rolls her eyes, but nods.

I may just have misjudged you, adds Dewang, but only to himself.

By the time she finds the ambush, Zidan is spoiling for a fight of some sort. On top of that, she’s half-expecting Dewang to dismiss her report out of hand. When he instead asks she thinks would be better, it takes the righteous anger that had been building up inside her right out of her sails.

Conceding that taking the path to the east would be the safer option, Zidan had the feeling that even her parents would be impressed with her pragmatism.

The move east only delays them for half a day. Zidan and several select Maids ride ahead, keeping a sharp eye out, but the way is indeed clear. Dewang breathes easier when she reports back at noon.

“I’ll see what’s past the woods when we get over these hills,” she declares.

“Make sure you get some rest and eat first,” says Dewang, and leaves it at that.

"Alright, dad,” she shoots back with more humor and less bitterness in her voice than one might expect. She wouldn’t necessarily say she’s getting used to how Dewang treats her, but she at least feels a little more confident in expressing or joking about how bothersome it can be.

“What are we facing today, then, Zidan?”

“Just the river!” she whoops. “Not even half a day ahead.”

Dewang relaxes, finally, and smiles. “I’m sorry this trip was so boring.”

“It was alright.”

Thumbs to the Roo lady!

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby roobeastie » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:48 pm

When Zidan is safely delivered to her family, Dewang makes it his mission to find out what, exactly, had happened. He has some suspicions, and they prove to be correct - the previous week, an official memorandum to the court had criticized Lu Bu for 'wearing his sword in the presence of the Empress’. No one Dewang talks to recalls ever seeing him armed inside court. Whoever came up with that one must have thought himself clever. It’s hardly shocking, but Dewang worries for Zidan and her mother.

Rubbing shoulders a little more, he makes the acquaintance of Xun You Gongda, a man whose clear intelligence belies his modest rank. It isn’t easy to get him talking, but Dewang persists, and like many taciturn men, he has plenty of thoughts.

“It’s a disaster.”

“How so?”

“The Empress has no power outside the city. If it weren't for Lu Bu, she might have none even within it,” explains Gongda. “'Ding Yuan and Dong Zhuo are the major players and they oppose each other at every turn.”

“Does either of them appear to be winning?” asks Dewang, neutrally.

'The Han is losing. Neither titan can prevail and so the provincial governors are forming their own factions in the country because Imperial authority is lacking.”

“That will end badly.”

“Obviously it will. I imagine barbarians will take advantage and rebel soon.”

“Do you see any way out of this mess?”

Gongda laughs bitterly. “'Break the stalemate and restore central authority. Only the Mandate of Heaven can save the Empire.”

“Easier said than done,” says Dewang, with a sigh that’s very nearly real. Something in the tilt of Gongda’s nod makes him suspect that the man may have some ideas, but it’s far too early in their acquaintance to press that.

He doesn’t have time to think about this, though, because when he returns to Lu Bu’s guest house Zidan of all people is waiting for him. Her knotted eyebrows make her look dangerously like her father.

“Someone dropped this outside my door,” she says bluntly, shoving a crumpled letter at him.

It’s addressed to Ding Yuan, and there are no pleasantries. It simply says:

I know what Fengxian has done.
The signature is Li Ru’s. Ding Yuan is being blackmailed.

“What does it mean?” demands Zidan. Dewang hesitates. “You’ll have to ask your mother. It would be better to hear it from her.”

Zidan doesn’t argue, and storms off to the main house.

The night started off normally, there was certainly nothing in the air to give a hint of the situation close at hand. Zidan lay in bed contemplating what her mother told her about the issues the family was facing thanks to her fathers’ actions. Coming up with plans had never been her forte, which was something she seemed to have in common with her father. She relied on people like Dewang for strategy, especially since rushing headlong into danger hadn’t failed her yet.

Jolted out of a dreamless sleep by the sound of an alarm, Zidan didn’t even stop to change out of her pajamas. She grabbed her sword and went looking for trouble. From the looks of it, brigands had broken into the house and were attempting to loot and wreck up the place. Quickly dispatching the first group she came across, Zidan paused to make sure the house guards were on the scene before rushing to her mothers’ room. That’s when things began to go a bit pear shaped.

Of all the things Zidan expected to see upon entering her mothers’ chambers, ninjas were very low on the list. Still, there was no time for questions, especially not when guards started going down in a heap due to poisoned darts. Zidan sprang into action, doing her best to defend her mother while taking out as many ninjas as she could. Aware that the people she was now fighting were clearly more skilled than the thugs she encountered in the hallway, she knew that getting her mother to safety was her first priority.

Once her mother was out of harm's way, for the most part, Zidan concentrated on finding the person in charge. It took a little doing, some creative use of fire, and dodging poison-laced darts and arrows, but soon enough Zidan managed to reveal the true foe. After a few clashes, the woman took off out the window and started running across the rooftops. Of course, Zidan followed, picking up a halberd along the way, unmindful of her lack of armor.

They’re awakened by the sounds of the attack. Shouts, clashes, a faint smell of smoke.

“Robbers?” says Dewang, bleary-eyed.

“Attacking the house of Lu Bu?” Yuanjian is already pulling on his armour. Zibin throws the door open most abruptly. “There’s a body of men just outside the main house, but there have to be more inside.” He’s carrying his sword, and Dewang knows he can use it, but has a few misgivings. These attackers can’t be common bandits.

The ones outside are. The ten Black Scarves who’d been serving as guards throw them aside like straw dolls, and they run towards the main house.

It’s on fire.

Dewang stops dead, closes his eyes, and musters every scrap of willpower he has. A moment later, thunder cracks and rain pours from the sky. The party bursts in as the fire sputters, and they follow the commotion to what must be the mistress’ rooms. Outside, they see several skilled fighters clashing with Lady Yan’s guards, and an instant later his own followers hit them from behind.

The Black Turbans hold their own, except for Zibin, who takes a hideous blow to the gut from the butt end of a spear. He reels, but rallies as Dewang calls encouragement. Lady Yan’s guards retreat, and the poet manages to stay on his feet for a few more bouts until half a dozen Cavalry Maids come running down the other end of the hall, hemming in their enemies.

“Surrender!” shouts Dewang, at the top of his voice. Looking behind them, the assassins reluctantly drop to their knees, though that doesn’t save all of them from the swords of the eager Maids.

“Where’s your captain?” Dewang addresses them, but the Maids shake their heads. “Not with her mother.”

Dewang looks around wildly, just in time to see Zibin lean heavily against the door of Lady Yan’s room, which flies open. Inside are mainly soggy ashes, with a few feeble flames in the corners. Part of the roof has caved in, and they see a silhouette of a woman in night clothes run by. She carries a halberd.

“That would be her,” says Yuanjian. She must be pursuing someone… on the roof?

His heart leaping into his mouth, Dewang pulls back the robe of one of the prisoners. Yes, there it is - the tattoo, a dragon coiled around a tree. He feels in his sleeve for the antidotes he always carries, and hands two of them to Yuanjian. “Can you get one to her?”

Without wasting time to answer, Yuanjian climbs on a table and pulls himself through the hole in the ceiling.

“I’m not following him,” gurgles Zibin.

Thanks to quick thinking on the part of Dewang, Zidan was able to get her hands on a potion that would render the poison coating the arrows and darts harmless. As stubborn as her father on a good day, Zidan refused to yield or give up the chase until she had the other woman in her sights, ready to be captured.

Last edited by roobeastie on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:46 pm

Hui Qiao can’t hear, and as far as they can tell, can’t speak either. She seems to understand them, so eventually they put a tray of sand in front of her. Dewang coaxes, and Zidan threatens. Eventually, she begins tracing sullenly.

“Who sent you?” asks Dewang, in his politest tone.

父様 Father

His scroll confirms this, and adds, It was a cult mission.

Odd. Why would the cult care about Lady Yan, or Lu Bu? No one besides the Dowager had any reason at all to want Lady Yan dead, except possibly Dong Zhuo’s supporters. And Liang Ju was - still is, probably - Lu Bu’s friend.

“What business does your father have with Lady Yan?”

Who

“Lu Bu’s wife. The woman you attacked.”

Hui Qiao looks up at that, the shock evident on her face. Interesting. Then she drops her head.

She was trapped. She doesn’t expect to live now. Dewang folds his scroll. If Hui Qiao was in over her head, they need to look further.

He shakes his head at Zidan, who appears to be strongly considering beating any possible answers out of the woman. “At least not until we hear from your grandfather.”

He half gets up, then turns back to Hui Qiao. This crisis is one thing, but there’s one other small matter, something that’s been a point of curiosity for months…

“Hui Qiao?”

She looks up, as if she hears him.

“Who is your mother?”

The prisoner smiles.

“Lin Gui” he hears, loud and clear, but her lips haven’t moved. Dewang’s eyes dart to Zidan, who is looking at both of them with a little suspicion. She hasn’t heard.

That answers some questions and raises many more. Out of my head! he thinks, as loudly as he can - but after that one crack, the woman sits stone faced, her eyes closed. She’s rubbing a few grains of sand between her finger and thumb, as if they were a dart. One of them must be a bit of glass, and as he watches a slight red stain appears on her fingertip.

Dewang closes his own eyes, watching her qi patterns on the inside of his eyelids. Then he jerks back involuntarily. Jumping to his feet, he practically drags Zidan from the room.

“What’s gotten into you?”

“She’s poisonous,” he hisses.

“What are you talking about?”

“She’s made of poison. All of her. Her blood, her sweat, everything. Don’t touch her.”

Lady Yan is furious, demanding that the prisoner be killed at once, or better yet, and hour ago. It’s all Dewang and Zidan can do to soothe her enough to hear Ding Yuan out.

The Prime Minister arrives in the morning. His time in the capital has aged him well beyond his fifty-odd years, and when the story is fully explained to him, he barely seems shocked. Then he pulls out a letter bearing the Imperial Seal, which he hands to Lady Yan.

She turns white. For the first time thus far, she appears defeated. “This orders my death…”

Ding Yuan nods heavily. “I don’t know how they did it, but I am sure Dong Zhuo and Yuan Shao have made it so.”

“So what?” bursts out Zidan. “And why does that mean we shouldn’t kill the assassin?”

“She is Liang Ju’s wife. Someone sent her here to kill the wife of his only friend in Bingzhou. He will not go quietly if he learns this.”

That makes sense. Liang Ju will be a thorn in any employer’s side, and the more they exacerbate the prick, the better.

“Nan Pi is a fortress from the north,” continues Ding Yuan. “But if Liang Ju and the Huis can be used against Yuan Shao then Gongzun Zan can cross the Bo River. Then you can menace Shangdang and force the Duke back onto the Wei plains where Bingzhou cavalry can hold him. But for now, you need to go to Jianyang. The capital is no longer safe, if it ever was.”

No one has the slightest disagreement with that last sentiment, though Lady Yan still has no desire to keep Hui Qiao alive. There is some more wrangling before Zidan, as usual, manages to get the last word.

"This is pointless, and we have a boat to catch. All I want to know is how this would have been explained to my father if it succeeded. 'Hey, your wife is dead by ninja assassins' probably would not go over well."

The trip back is almost too uneventful. Dewang and his followers take their leave of the others and make their way hastily back to the temple. It’s still standing - Dewang had had nightmares about that point - and nothing appears to be wrong in the slightest. But he has no intention of leaving his children’s safety to chance, not now, when there are attacks coming from nowhere and revenge on the way.

So he hides the entire school.

Many sorcerers do it, though under the circumstances, it’s a little tricky. The temple is famous, and everyone knows the general layout. Eventually, he settles for expanding the gardens around the school buildings, raising up numerous trees and bushes and laying dozens of paths among them. Any outsider attempting to sneak in will become hopelessly lost, and will be led time and again back to the front of the temple.

It takes several days, and he’s recuperating in his study when he hears a familiar barking voice from just outside. She’s in the doorway? But that’s impossible...

Bitong knocks on the door. “Master Du! I thought you said you’d get rid of her!”

“I did.” Dewang hurries into the hall, peeping out the second-floor window. That was a mistake. A bony finger jabs the air below him.

“...took me three times as long to get my cart up here, mind you! And what do I find but no one, that’s no one, Du, you’ve chased them all away for good, and how am I supposed to…”

Dewang backs away from the window hastily.

“Should I head her off?” offers Bitong. “Worst she can do is put one of those awful fans of hers in my eye.”

“There’s no need for that,” sighs Dewang. “She’s in and out so much, the spell must have made an exception for her along with you and the other disciples. I’ll have to work something out.”

Hurrying down the stairs, he momentarily shocks the old lady by taking her arm and smiling his most winning smile. “My very dear Mrs. Zhang…”

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:05 pm

Scarik wrote:Baozi and Wenchang

If Yuan Shao was angry at the messengers leaving he is livid when Baozi departs along with the rest of the Bingzhou soldiers. It’s clear to everyone that the transfer of Shangdang is not amicable but for now violence between loyalists is avoided.

Given the situation, Xu Huang travels back to Hangu before turning west and taking the long road to Hedong rather than leave Yuan Shao behind them on level ground. The fortified, mountain pass at Hangu is invincible from the east. No one would dare follow them that way.

So they are free to discuss the recent situation and return to Jianyang to regroup.

Lu Yu, Dang Fu, Xu Huang, Baozi and Wenchang:

Yuan Shao besieges the palace alone. Predictably his desire doesn’t stop there and in time, he controls a third of Bingzhou, Hedong included. Han Fu almost immediately submits and is allowed to oversee the city under the Duke’s authority. Xu Huang resigns soon after. When the troubling news is brought to the capital, the two brothers meet to discuss the future of the state.

“In the long term, we need to fortify the main approaches into Bingzhou.” Baozi stares down at the map. “Hangu fortress is solid, but needs a capable magistrate. The pass from Jianyang to Jicheng is narrow and long yet has no walls or forts. It is the same for the road from Hedong to XiHe. Last is the ford from Hu Qu to the west.”

“Lu Yu controls the last two. If his commandery falls, the rest will follow. We need to secure the west. Jicheng is a risk, but at least Governor Gongsun is an ally for now. A costly ally,” Wenchang scowls, remembering the losses of the Golden Dawn.

“Recruitment drives,” Baozi says. ”You can raise troops for your cavalry and the garrison here. Lu Yu and Dang Fu must do the same for the provincial armies.”

“Wenyuan is making his way to Hedong,” Wenchang says. “Once Gongming is rescued, he can head Hangu. Brother Dang can serve as Colonel under him.”

Baozi nods. “I’ve placed a few men in Yuan Shao’s employ to gather intelligence. Liang Ju is indeed working for him now. Zhang Yang has been spotted in Shangdang.”

“We should have dealt with the both of them when the opportunity arose last year!” Wenchang says harshly. “Here we are, up against Yuan Shao regardless of whether we killed his pet or not.”

“Fate?” Baozi offers.

At last, they return. With an extra.

Wenchang is furious and supports Zidan in beheading Hui Qiao.

“Don’t go near her!” cries Dewang. “Have your soldiers guard her from a distance. Besides, she may yet be useful. Let me find out more about her and what she knows.”

Baozi looks up from the scroll Dewang gave him upon arrival. “Prime Minister Ding wants her alive as insurance. Nan Pi is a fortress and hard to attack from our northern position.” He goes back to reading. “But Nan Pi is the least of our troubles...”

Zidan nods. “Grandfather believes the empire is crumbling into feuding states. He wants us to reclaim the territories captured by Duke Yuan.”

“On our own? We don’t even have a safe route to the capital, surrounded as we are,” Wenchang frowns.

“That is where the Prime Minister believes he has a solution,” Dewang gestures, “if the Hui family and Liang Ju can be used against Yuan Shao then Gongsun Zan can cross the Bo River. Then we can menace Shangdang and force the Duke back onto the Wei plains where the cavalry can hold him.”

“He wants us to take back Bingzhou so that he can exert central authority and make governors of the aspiring warlords when the Yellow Rebellion finally ends,” Baozi sighs as he rolls the letter up. They all look at him in surprise.

“You think it won’t work?" Wenchang asks.

Baozi hesitates, then looks down. “...Barring special circumstances, I am not at all convinced there is any way to prevent civil war.”

Silence follows the statement.

“...Let us focus on the present,” Zidan says. "Father is in Qingzhou putting down the rebels. Grandfather is trying to keep the country together. You are in charge for the foreseeable future, Administrator. What do we do next?"

"Prime Minister Ding appointed Prefect Wei," Wenyuan pipes up. “He’s in charge.”

“Only because he knows Baozi has no ambitions,” Wenchang smiles. "Now my brother can concern himself with the strategic decisions, and I will handle the rest."

"Well, the armies are gathering, but some provinces are leaderless. We need competent, loyal employees so internal threats don't prey us," Baozi searches for an inkpot.

"The Prime Minister mentioned that Lady Yan should be given an appointment," Dewang says.

"She can have Yanmen Commandery," Baozi writes down. "Gongming is already running Hangu. If you can head Taiyuan Commandery," he glances at Wenchang, "that still leaves us four posts. I'll handle them while you look for candidates."

"If I may suggest one?" Xu Huang interjects. "I left the Duke at first opportunity but I did meet with a few of his officers. Dong Zhao is in charge of several commanderies. Lately he has been plagued by slander and fears execution."

"Where is he stationed? Perhaps we can send someone," says Zidan.

"Gao Tang, on the Yellow River."

"In the heart of the Duke's territory," Wenchang is dismayed.

"Don't worry," Dewang grins, "I know just the man for the job."

Weeks later, Zibin finally gets back. They crowd around him. "Well?"

"Peace." He closes his umbrella and wrings out his robes.

Dewang rolls his eyes. Huangdi knows the man loves drama. "Get on with it."

Zibin laughs. "He pledges his undying loyalty if you can get him out."

"My soldiers can-" begins Wenchang but Zibin shakes his head, gesturing at the people present.

"He wants at least one of you. The big players. He won't trust his life to a couple of spearmen."

There is a pause.

"You suggest we walk into Yuan Shao's homeland?" Dewang asks incredulously.

"Firstly, I just did that. Secondly, I'm not suggesting anything. I'm relaying his conditions," Zibin says sharply. "He is adamant on this point. It is up to you from here."

"I should go, it was my idea," Xu Huang says but is shot down.

"Hangu needs you. Bingzhou needs Baozi. We shouldn't put Brother Dewang in a risky situation where he can't defend himself," Wenchang thinks aloud.

Dewang protests, "I'm not-"

"I can go," Zidan jumps up. "You're all important."

"You're the daughter of the Imperial Comma-" Wenyuan falls silent when she glares at him.

"Zidan is actually quite fast at getting away," Baozi says. "It’s not a bad idea. But she is," he doesn't meet Zidan's eyes, “...youthful.”

“I can go as well, then,” Wenchang suggests. “One person may stand out. Besides, we are supposedly in ‘peacetime’. You can spare military officers, not administrative ones.”

“Everyone north of Luoyang knows you, Wenchang,” worries Dewang.

“Then we can disguise ourselves as a couple,” Zidan winks.

“Err, ah,” Wenchang stutters. “Perhaps father-child merchants instead.”

“Zibin, you should go as well to smooth over troubles,” Baozi suggests.

Zibin sighs, ”I suppose the ladies of the Blooming Rose will just have to survive a little longer without me. Poor girls.”

The trio ride to Hu Qu where Wenchang’s clan has readied a trading ship. Wei Tai agrees to sail for them. The first leg of the trip is in Bingzhou territory and passes uneventfully. When they turn east they are stopped by port authorities near Hedong.

“What is the meaning of this disruption?” Wenchang yells down at the harbourmaster.

His cousin tugs at his arm, “They want payment!”

“For doing their jobs? I assumed that is what a salary is.”

“With your high attitude we won’t make it three li,” Zibin hisses at him. He turns to Zidan, “Captain, please tell this wise man we cannot fight our way up and down the river if the enemy catches onto us.”

Zidan shrugs at Wenchang, “Paying them would be less hassle. We can always get our vengeance later.”

Wenchang grumbles but passes his purse to Zibin three times before entering Gao Tang. Zibin goes off to make an appointment for a meeting, while Wenchang and Zidan pretend to fish. Montage time!

Thankfully, they face little attention. (Win on Stealth) In the afternoon Prefect Dong Zhao suddenly shows up for a surprise inspection of the harbour. Soldiers start searching all the boats while the Prefect directs them and speaks with Zibin in a relaxed tone. Eventually there is a commotion on one dock and Zibin and Dong Zhao board their boat. He has a clerk and two guards with him.

“Afternoon,” Zidan greets them.

“Mr. Tang Feng says he has something interesting to show us,” the Prefect says stiffly.

Wenchang raises an eyebrow at the employees but Dong Zhao forestalls him, “I trust these men.”

“I trust Xu Huang as well, and he recommended you. We can always use people who desire to make the world better,” Wenchang holds out his hands, palms up.

Dong Zhao gives his clerk a look. He turns back as the man leaves. “And you can get us out?”

“No, we made this journey here so that we could get captured, expose him and all hang together,” Zidan whispers to Zibin, who smiles nervously behind his fan.

Wenchang clasps the Prefect’s arm. “We would not be here otherwise.” (Style on Raport)

“Then we’re both in your hands,” Dong Zhao says, as his clerk and another officer stride up to their boat. “This is my friend Ji Yong Suxu. He wishes to serve you as well.”

Wenchang frowns, “I am not fond of surprises. What are his credentials?”

“I can vouch for him,” Zibin says from his spot. Why is he standing so close to Zidan...? Wait, what does it matter? Wenchang gives himself a shake.

“Thank you, but I can manage,” Ji Yong smiles, and stands straighter. “I had planned to rebel against Yuan Shao and join Gongsun Zan but your reputation made me want to go to Bingzhou instead. Fortune smiled upon me and granted express transportation when I least expected it.”

“I took him into my confidence,” Dong Zhao nods.

“Very well, then,” Wenchang says. “No time to waste. Get comfortable. Tai, we’re leaving!”

The boat slowly sails out of the harbour. The soldiers notice at once and start yelling and launching boats after them. "They are kidnapping the Prefect!"

“Do not worry, men!” Dong Zhao shouts back. “I will be back shortly!”

That seems to calm them down, but when more than a few hours pass, Wei Tai yells, “Two boats in our rear!”

“Do you think they realised you’re defecting, my lord?” Zibin queries innocently.

The sailor swears colourfully as he maneuvers the boat. She doesn't go any faster, but the enemy boats can’t seem to gain on them either. (Tie on Prowess)

Wenchang and Zidan stand beside each other on the stern and draw their bows. Their arrows seem to find no good targets, but the enemies can’t fire back either. Err, I promise it’s all way more exciting on film? (Tie on Create Advantage)

Finally, the enemy gains on them and prepares for boarding. Wenchang roars as he casts aside his bow and pulls out the Sabre of Yan, chopping five guys into bits. (Style on Fencing) And then seven. (Style on Fencing) Finally some excitement. Zidan adds to the grisly scene, taking out four (Style on Fencing), and then one unlucky dude. (Win on Fencing)

The rest of the journey is uneventful, and the gang make it back in one piece.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Kivutar » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:00 pm

Spies

“I’d had enough.” Shuren yawns, carefully. “So I resigned, and now I’m visiting old friends in conveniently distant places. It’s the in thing these days.”

“Weren’t you Secretary of something-or-other?” Years ago, Dewang would have expected his old acquaintance to go further - but he remembers Xun You Gongda. Perhaps Shuren had merely been wise.

“Aye, something-or-other,” says Shuren. “Been something-or-other for a while now. Zhang Yang took valuables, and a few of his sycophants. Something-or-other slipped through the cracks when the palace burned behind him.”

“How did you escape when Yellow Turbans took over?”

“I dressed as a servant,” shrugs Shuren. “Not that it mattered. They didn’t care about something-or-other any more than Zhang Yang did. And then it was only a few days till Yuan Shao took over, and soon I was something-or-other again. May I be honest? Those few days of Huang Shao were the best Shangdang’s had in years, and I liked the palace much better in that state.”

“And I’m the nearest thing to Huang Shao who isn’t an out-and-out rebel,” says Dewang, drily.

“So you are.” Shuren’s tone is still light.

“And you want me to…”

“You’re thinking three steps ahead of me,” admits Shuren, and then he sighs and drops his affectation. “I’m lost, Dewang. That’s the long and short of it.”

Dewang takes a few moments to reply. “What if you went to Luoyang?”

“You were a soldier, Huang Tu?”

“On and off.” Huang Tu rocks uneasily.

“I’m not going to ask. About either one,” says Dewang gently.

“It is what it is.” The Black Turban gulps down another bun.

“Could you still pass yourself off as one?”

“Pass myself off?” Huang Tu squints. “‘T’aint exactly hard.”

Dewang smiles, and gets the gist of his idea across in a few sentences.

“Dong Zhuo’s army.” Huang Tuo scratches his head dubiously. “Well, I guess I could. But what then?”

“Report anything you learn,” says Dewang. “You can write, I know that. And I’ve seen how you can ride. There aren’t too many Black Turbans who’d be up to the task.”

At that, Huang Tu swells a little.

“And why me?” Xiao Xiuying is suspicious, as always.

“Because you’re a crook,” says Dewang bluntly.

The man snorts. “That’s what you’ll need, all right. Yuan Shao’s people? They’re all crooks. The better question is, why should I do it?”

“Your patriotic and filial duty? The softness of your heart?” suggests Dewang. “Or you could remain a simple military clerk, until I reported you to my brother.”

“Here now,” says Xiao Xiuying, alarmed. “You don’t have to do that.”

“I don’t,” agrees Dewang, pleasantly.

Xiao Xiuying looks furious for a long moment, then laughs. “How much will you pay me?”

“Your salary now. Double that to your mother.”

“Done,” says Xiao Xiuying promptly.

“Not done.” Dewang holds up his hand. “You’ll need to return the leather money, and the surplus grain from last month’s shipment to Dingxian. Oh, and Zaitian’s wallet.”

“He practically gave it to me,” grumbles the thief. “How long do I have?”

“Is three days enough? We should have had eyes and ears in Yuan Shao’s territory long ago.”

“I’ll leave in two, if I can keep the horse.”

“Done,” says Dewang.

It isn’t too long before the first reports come back. Shuren writes that Ding Yuan has allied himself with Yuan Shu - unsurprising, given his notoriously strained relationship with his kinsman. (Still, thinks Dewang. Odd that he and his brothers are learning it from a spy.) Yuan Shu has been given the administration of Xuchang, to the disgust of Liu Biao and Liu Dai. This is Baozi’s domain, and he will have to wait till his brother’s return from Gongsun Zan’s court to make sense of it.

Huang Tu’s effort is particularly heroic, and almost legible. Dong Zhuo had sent Jia Xu and Hua Xiong against the rebels, and they’d had smashing success. The war should be over by the time the year is. The warlord’s attention is already to the north and west, and he’s building forces with which to menace Ma Teng.

Yuan Shao is still swearing vengeance for the loss of Dong Zhao. ‘You’d almost think he gave a hang about the man,’ writes Xiao Xiuying. But the Duke has found replacements fairly easily, and it’s still unclear what he’s doing with his armies.

Back at HQ

Hui Qiao is prickly - luckily, only in the metaphorical sense - but she’s also lonely. Dewang makes a habit of visiting her every so often, bringing her books and small comforts, and soon she starts scribbling in the sand. She knows or tells little of what goes on in Yuan Shao’s court, beyond bitterly cursing Ju Shou, but she’s more than willing to talk about her family.

Father won’t let me kill him, she writes, then adds, But I won’t let him touch me, either. Mother said I don’t have to.

Her mother is the Forest Ghost. She’s remarkable casual about it, but then again, that’s her world. Her father is an ordinary, if powerful, magistrate, and her mother is the living incarnation of the goddess and the leader of their cult. Perfectly normal.

We make medicines, she writes, when asked for more details about the religion. And poison, he thinks, but he’s not here to argue. Out of curiosity, he brings up Hua Tuo, and Hui Qiao snarls soundlessly. Sand flies.

Hua Tuo befriended my father and stole the Dragon’s Heart. Until the thief's blood waters the dragon tree it will not flower again.

Dewang owes too much to Hua Tuo to care overmuch about the dragon tree, but he feigns sympathy and outrage. Anger gets more out of Hui Qiao than before, and soon she’s once again complaining dustily about the treachery of Yuan Shu’s court - alas, besides that she was tricked, and that Ju Shou wanted to make Lu Bu an enemy of her family and her husband, she offers more flavour than detail.

He tells everything to Wenchang over tea a few days later, but his brother seems more bored than anything else.

"That's why you've been going down there so often? You should be more cautious."

“We’ve been fighting the Huis blind for years, without knowing who they are or where their powers come from,” says Dewang. “Now’s the first real chance we’ve had to learn anything. Besides, I’m careful.”

Wenchang rubs the back of his neck. "It's just that, well, you have been known to empathise with the other side."

Dewang opens his mouth indignantly, but can’t think of anything to say to that - especially because, for the first time, he’s dared to have Wenchang and Yuanjian at the same table.

“Your brother is right,” says Yuanjian, in the particularly solemn tone he saves for teasing. “You have a terrible habit of talking to prisoners. It keeps me awake at night.”

Dewang pretends to be too dignified to reply.

Wenchang snorts. "Seriously though, that was just a stroke of luck," he eyes Liao Hua warily, before turning to Dewang again. “But the Hui clan is too far gone, I’m just making sure your friendly act stays an act.”

“And if it’s this bad now,” adds Yuanjian, “Prefect Wei will probably bring in dozens of prisoners from his fight against the bandits. Imagine how difficult it will be for you then!”

“I can deal with one of you at a time,” says Dewang. “Both is unfair.”

Wenchang deflates at that. “Sorry, Elder Brother. Of course I trust your intelligence.”

Dewang laughs at that. “Now, don’t go too far.”

“But I’m not. You and Baozi are definitely more knowledgeable in most matters.”

“Heaven knows I’ve caused you plenty of trouble,” sighs Dewang. “But in this case, you really don’t need to worry.”

Wenchang nods. “To other matters, then. I need to borrow your followers for a mission. And Liao Hua to head them, if you will accept,” he looks at him.

“Against the bandits?” asks Yuanjian. “It’s true, no one knows the backwoods like we do, and we have experience fighting them there, too.”

“Yes, besides which, my cavalry can’t very well cross the mountains. I intend to amass a small force of infantry, along with the Vixens - if they don’t kidnap my messenger - and deal with the White Wave Bandits for once and all.”

“In that case, make sure you don’t fall for any beautiful bandits,” says Dewang. He deserves that much.

Wenchang pretends to be too dignified to reply.

Thumb Lads. Do it now.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:16 am

It never rains but it pours

“They come in small groups, raid the villages and retreat just as quickly,” Wenyuan shakes his head. “Cavalry can’t chase them.”

“The garrison infantry...”

“It’s a long march through the mountains. If we take all of them and someone tries to take advantage of the absence of all the leaders, and a significant part of the army is also away-”

“Alright, alright,” Jing Luo throws his hands up. “You’ve made your point. So what now, boss?”

“My brother’s followers know the area well,” says Wenchang. “Of course we will take a few trained soldiers, but this way we won’t weaken our base entirely.”

“Ugh. Those freaks creep me out,” Boxiao wrinkles his nose, and the others seem to disapprove as well. “But if you say it’s okay, then okay. Will that be enough?”

Wenchang reads Scarik’s the scout’s message again. “The enemy of my enemy…”

Once they’re on the road for a while, Wenchang seems to mull over something, then goes over to Liao Hua.

“We haven’t really talked since Jicheng. What was it like?” he asks abruptly.

“...What?”

“Well, you killed your - I don’t know if you knew any of them particularly - but you know,” Wenchang says. “Are you alright?”

The man looks taken aback, but composes himself. “A lot of things changed between Ping Yuan and Jicheng.”

"For all of us, I think. The world seemed much simpler on the battlefield. Or maybe I only wanted it to be," Wenchang mutters to himself distractedly.

Liao Hua looks at him strangely, but offers nothing more than a "Mhm."

Wenchang turns to him. "Take these White Wave Bandits. Why do you think they do what they do? As a former rebel."

Liao Hua considers. "Some are greedy, some are hopeless."

"Hopeless enough to ignore all other paths and resort to this?" Wenchang insists.

"It happens," the man says. "I'm not saying it's right. Quite the contrary."

Wenchang is silent for a moment. "I'm surprised you didn't try harder to persuade my brother."

"I tried. It didn't end the way I expected," Liao Hua has a faraway look in his eyes.

"But you just accepted it?" Wenchang questions.

"Would you rather I didn't?"

"Of course not. But…" Wenchang thinks. "Zhang Liang wouldn't back down even when he knew he was cornered. Whereas you've been living free and seem to have no more inclination to resurrect the Yellow State."

Liao Hua replies, "When people are trapped, they tend to lash out. But given a chance, a better way out, many will take it. Many won't though, like these bandits. As you said earlier."

"I suppose that's what my brother sees in you? You take the better path."

"Honestly? I couldn't guess."

Wenchang nods, contented. [Achievement unlocked: Yuanjian+ Friendsies Forever!]

As the party approaches the village near the Vixens’ base, a Golden Dawn woman is sent up the hill with a missive. Soon enough, a familiar horned skull atop a red banner goes up in reply.

“The Buffalo Soldier returns,” Niu Mu says, hand on hip. “Trouble following his footsteps.”

Wenchang shrugs. “Would I be here otherwise? I wish to cross the mountains to the south. I heard you make good guides.”

“No need to be so coy, we both know what lies beyond the range,” the Bull taunts. “Why should my ‘guides’ help you?”

Wenchang’s mouth sets. “So your own day of reckoning can be postponed.”

The Bull rears her head back amid howls of laughter from the ladies. “How very heroic!” She wipes her eyes. “My, my. Shuqing, should I shoot him now or at a later, auspicious date?” Her friend only smirks.

Wenchang holds his head high. “I’m still waiting for an answer.”

Niu Mu sighs. “You’re no fun.”

The Vixens make preparations, and the mini-army sets out the next day.

While on a break from the grueling hike, Wenchang’s friends sidle up to him. “Psst, you should talk to the big lady, boss!” Boxiao whispers.

Wenchang spares the woman a glance, then quietly tightens the straps on his boots.

“She’s agreed to go along, but we don’t know her thoughts. She might have plans to betray us,” Wenyuan admits.

Boxiao nods energetically, “Convince her not to through the bonds of friendship!” :D

Yuanjian shrugs. “I mean, it worked for your brother.”

Wenchang glares at them, then sighs.

I’m just like you! You’re just like me! There’s somewhere else we’d rather be!

Wenchang walks over to the Vixens’ side of the camp. “What will you do once the bandits are dealt with?”

“And you only wonder about this now? How excessively dull.” Niu Mu shakes her head. “Perhaps I should’ve shot you after all.”

“You’re very sure you’d have hit your mark,” Wenchang says stiffly. “Care for a match?”

The Bull grins, her scar cracking as she shrugs a light recurve bow off her shoulder. “Watch and learn.”

A crowd of interested cultists and bandits gathers, complete with excited muttering and the telltale jangle of coins. Jing Luo hangs a target from a tree branch and gives it a big push. He retreats quickly, ignoring the titters. Scary lady is scary.

Niu Mu draws and lets loose lightning fast. The arrow hits the inner border of the mark. [Archery Skill 5, rolled 4 (Great)] She bows exaggeratedly, gesturing to the target. “All yours.”

Wenchang silently advances with his warbow, nocks an arrow and draws. He narrows his eyes and loosens. The arrow hits dead center, most of the shaft cleanly piercing through the target. [Archery Skill 5, rolled 8 (Legendary), Win with Style] He shares a look with Yuanjian who smiles faintly, absentmindedly rubbing his shoulder.

The Bull flushes deep red. “Beginner’s luck. Again! And make it an actual challenge this time!” she barks as one of her sisters rushes to remove the arrows. A much smaller wood is hung and set swinging vigorously.

Niu Mu draws slowly, and releases on a deep exhale. The arrow strikes the outer border. [Archery Skill 5, rolled 3 (Good)] She swears aloud.

Wenchang hides a smile as he steps up. He draws back, and the arrow hits the center again, but doesn’t thoroughly embed in it unlike its predecessor. [Archery Skill 5, rolled 6 (Fantastic), Win with Style]

Cheers and groans abound equally as the crowd disperses. Wenchang is about to say something to Senlin when her girls swarm him, wishing to see him shoot again and asking about his form and practice.

Wenchang cranes his neck but the damn woman is suddenly nowhere to be seen. He turns back in frustration. “If I give you pointers, wouldn’t you just use them on my boys?”

The young women giggle. For the love of ancestors. Well, as long as it’ll help against the bandits? [Achievement unlocked: Senlin+ Make the Scary Bandit Lady Not Want to Kill You Anymore!] [Achievement unlocked: Senlin+ Make the Scary Bandit Lady Like You Which is Actually Even Scarier When You Think About It]

At last, they set foot in the White Wave Valley. The bandits have made no huge effort to hide their tracks [Deceive Skill 3, rolled -1 (Poor)] and Yuanjian finds their hideout in no time. [Awareness Skill 4, rolled 4 (Great), Win with Style]

Senlin and the Vixens lay an ambush for them [Archery Skill 5, rolled 4 (Great), Win with Style] which they fall for so alarmingly easily [Examine Skill 0, rolled -3 (Terrible)] that Wenchang wonders how they ever posed a serious threat. (Srsly these are some Yakety Sax-accompanying bumbling buffoons right here)

It is quickly apparent that the bandit leaders have run away when battle is joined, so Wenchang impatiently dispatches the goons left behind in a blur of blood and guts. [Fencing Skill 8, rolled 11 (Legendary), Win with Style] [Enemy Concedes]

Once things seem to be in hand, Wenchang and his lieutenants climb on the few horses brought along and give chase. [Prowess Skill 4, rolled 3 (Good)] The leaders seem to keep ahead [Prowess Skill 3, rolled 4 (Great), Win] but not for long, and the Golden Dawn bears down on them without mercy. [FPs/Boosts/Invokes used Lads: 2, Scarik: 1]

By the time they get back, the Black Turbans and the Vixens have finished mopping up the mess. It takes the rest of the day to see to the injured, account for the dead, go through the camp and search the rest of the plains. At nightfall, Wenchang steps into the leader’s quarters. Senlin looks up from admiring a porcelain cup.

“What will you do now? This is too good a place to not attract future bandits.”

“Good thing they will die trying,” Senlin says. She sizes him up, then states flatly, “I intend to take over the place.” She raises a finger as Wenchang opens his mouth. “Ah, ah. We will raid none of the areas under your control."

“Hmmpf. And if we wished to take an army through the mountains to give Yuan Shao a surprise...”

“Paying a toll fee is only the responsible thing to do,” Senlin grins wickedly, the lamplight playing across her scar. “Gold is always welcome, warrior.”

At any other time, Wenchang would probably use the opportunity to send the rest of the bandits to join the White Wave scum, but… damn it. He can practically hear his friends.

“Wenchang! I’m your Awesome Elder Brother, and you're not allowed to try to get yourself killed any more than you already have today. Anyway she’s the lesser of all evils.”

“Um, I'm your Super Smart Younger Brother, and I think this is actually a good deal. Erm, also what Elder Brother said.”

“I’m your Badass Coworker and I think we should totally kill her! Oh, does Administrator Mao disagree? Then, probably don’t, I guess. Uuugh.”

“Uh, Buffalo Soldier?”

Wenchang snaps out of it, going red when he realises he has been staring at Senlin. “Er. Yes. Acceptable terms. I’m going. Now.” He slides the door shut to muffled snickers.

Thumb Kiv or ur dead to me (jk I love you)

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:06 pm

Baozi and Zidan leave for Gongsun Zan’s lands. The ride there is easy. They have firm control of their side of the border and the Governor has his. The main bandits are further west, and Wenchang has promised to do something about them. They get to Jicheng and are met by an escort of cavalry in shining armour on white horses.

Someone wants to impress,” Zidan quips.

Gongsun Zan gives the group a full reception at the stairs to the palace and walks inside with them to show them where they can stay. He has taken over the wing where Liu Yan lived since he is the Governor now and he gives Baozi fancy guest quarters normally reserved for Ministers. He declares he will be throwing a party in their honour.

Zidan and Baozi share a look once the door is closed. “Well then.”

The initial meeting is short. The Daring Duo is all dusty so they spend the day cleaning and resting from the road. Then it's supper time and business is not conducted at night. The gentlemen gather and drink and talk about theoretical matters of state, but not actual ones. Baozi dislikes the pretence of it, as he does all social events, but he does his best to look happier than he is.

He tries to gather the general mood toward Ding Yuan and Yuan Shao but gets nowhere, not knowing anyone. [Contacts Skill 1, rolled -1 (Poor)] He then observes the court for a while [Examine Skill 5, rolled 7 (Epic), Style, 2 Advantages Created] and asks Zidan to try. “You’re much more suited to this task than I am.”

Zidan obliges by hanging out with soldiers [Rapport Skill 2, rolled 2 (+2 Invoke) = 4 (Great)] and then tells Baozi what she learned. He cross-references and comes to a much more substantial conclusion. The Dreamy Duo gather in their quarters the next day.

“The rank and file prefer Grandfather to Yuan Shao,” Zidan smiles.

“But the Xianbei and the Xiongnu tribes are fighting each other, and he is doing nothing about it. That’s a strike against him.”

“Only because he is away dealing with more important matters.” :(

“Yes, but his absence from the north means neither he nor the Imperial Commander are much of a factor. Another strike.” Baozi writes something. “Where is Zilong?”

“Wuruanguan. A certain Butcher of Bei Ye came through days ago, and the newly appointed Magistrate was sent to the Great Gate to avoid unpleasantries with Yuan Shao’s emissary. I’m sure he’ll be back soon though.”

Near Baozi’s hometown. His mind wanders to his family before Zidan interrupts his reverie.

“That creepy eagle shaman is still here though. As well as some soothsayer? They said he is the Governor’s oath brother. He was even dressed in Taoist robes.”

“Hmm. My brother did tell me to talk to Batu. Might as well pay him a visit.”

The next day, the games start in earnest. Zidan is invited to a horse race by some soldier women in the Governor’s army.

“You’re on!” she grins.

Shooting Star tosses his mane in an arrogant way reminiscent of his mistress as he simply demolishes the other horses, [Prowess Skill 7, rolled 8 (Fantastic), Style] despite the other ladies’ valiant efforts. [Prowess Skill 4, rolled 3 (Good)]

Zidan is surrounded by cheers and songs from the women. She draws the attention of other riders and they issue a challenge Zidan cannot, and doesn’t want to, ignore. The new racers are more trained but fortune seems to have deserted them today [Prowess Skill 5, rolled 3 (Good)] and Zidan literally runs circles around them. [Prowess Skill 7, rolled 7 (Epic), Style] “Hey, I can do this all day!”

Word spreads across the city of the Falling Star woman that night. The best rider among the people around is a Xianbei archer who seeks her out the day after. The crowd is in the hundreds by now. Zidan strokes her stallion. “We have a reputation to uphold, don’t we? Yes we do!”

The archer is named Tufa Ren. He is competent and gives her a tough competition, with plenty of tricks up his sleeve [Prowess Skill 6, rolled 6 (Fantastic)] and it is a nail biting finish when Zidan scrapes a win [Prowess Skill 7, rolled 7 (Epic), Win] to ear-splitting shrieks of excitement. She is lifted and carried by her Maids to the nearest tavern where many drinks are raised to her.

Tufa Ren enters soon after. He bows to the woman of the hour, and says in a clear voice that carries to the ends of the room,

“Marry me.”

The people fall silent, watching with interest. Zidan’s eyebrows jump, but she quickly manages with a smile, “I’ll think about it, but you might just have to beat me in a horse race first.”

He beams. “I will try!”

Batu is interested in discussing falconry with Baozi. Many of the officers at Gongsun Zan’s court are fans of the sport. Baozi waits for him to drop more obvious hints about his knowledge of his shapeshifting, but he doesn’t stray from lighthearted topics. Thus Baozi passes on Dewang’s regards and returns in search of the Governor himself. He is told to be present at noon the next day.

Gongsun Zan warmly welcomes him inside where Zhao Yun is already seated, having ridden there the night before. They make small talk (just awesome...) before Baozi can politely bring the conversation around to what he travelled here for. He starts as though it were a hypothetical situation

"If something were to turn Liang Ju against one of Yuan Shao's closer advisers, that might present an opportunity to opponents of Yuan Shao - would you agree?"

The Governor remains cautious. "I hear there are strong factions within Yuan Shao's court. It certainly would not benefit the Duke to have another rift, though how it would benefit his enemies escapes me."

Baozi expands the scenario. "If Liang Ju can be goaded into open rebellion, or at least convinced not to hold the crossing of the Bo River, an enemy of Yuan Shao might threaten Nan Pi, which is normally safe from Jicheng. Meanwhile an ally of theirs could be ready to strike at Shangdang or Hedong at the same time."

"Ah. Quite a complex hypothetical, Baozi. And I think Zilong is eager to know more."

Zilong is on the edge of his seat. "Liang Ju is a born traitor and a butcher. Turning him can't be difficult."

Baozi takes a deep breath and lays out his cards in the open. "Hui Qiao was hired to murder Lady Yan, without knowing who her target really was. Liang Ju's own wife, and the wife of the only man in Bingzhou he could still have called a friend. When he learns who did it, I do not think he will be forgiving."

Zilong is visibly shocked. His master smiles. "That is good news. For us at least."

"Lady Yan was saved, but even the attempt..." Baozi leaves the question hanging.

Gongsun Zan muses, "Fengxian's rage will shake the sky."

"Hui Qiao claims that Ju Shou arranged it, and my elder brother believes she is telling the truth. That should surely be enough to turn Liang Ju." [Rapport (Casus Belli) Skill 6, rolled 9 (Legendary), Style]

The Governor nods. “Provided he rebels and you are ready to take Shangdang, I will attack Nan Pi.”

Deal finalised, the party leaves the day after for Jianyang.

“Now we need to just convince Liang Ju to rebel,” sighs Baozi.

“Will that be hard?” Zidan can positively hear his mind whirring.

Baozi shakes his head. “The main thing is the crossing. There are no full fords over the River Bo. That means a significant chance of a river battle. Horses will be of no use and the pirate Zhou Cang is defending the river.”

“Hmm... well, if two soldiers can sail up and down the Yellow River without being detected, I’m sure you can find a solution to this too!”

And after all, who can still be in a sour mood in the face of such shining optimism?

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby roobeastie » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:08 pm

Once everyone is back safe and sound in Jianyang our happy heroes start planning a war.

“It’s best if Hui Qiao herself writes a letter for Nan Pi,” says Baozi. “She can tell them Ju Shou set her up, that though she was captured, she has been treated honourably. And that we will let her go if her family helps us.”

“Her brother will try to break her out,” Zidan crosses her arms.

“That is my concern,” says Baozi. He takes all necessary precautions against her escape - or rescue. [Strategy Skill 6, rolled 8 (Legendary), Style]

Hui Qiao obediently writes to her husband and family as directed, a letter which is so innocuous as to be suspicious.

“There is more to it than that,” says Baozi. “That much is obvious.” He and Zijia spend some time puzzling over it [Examine Skill 5, rolled 5 (Superb)] and Dewang does his best to help, but there’s little enough to go on.

He does visit Hui Qiao again, a few hours later.

“So what else have you written?” he asks. She responds best to bluntness, most of the time. And if she doesn’t, the Treatise of Truth does. “Orders? Map? Love letter?”

She actually laughs at that, and poorly attempts to look like the picture of innocence. Dewang leaves it at that. He’s brought her the scroll he found in Shangdang last year, the one with the woman, the apple, and the dragon.

She sniffs, not seeming to think it particularly accurate. This does get her to talk though - mostly about her religion, but that helps as much or more than anything else. Only when he leaves does he look at the smaller scroll.

She’s written to them three times over. Father, brother, husband. [Examine Skill 4, rolled 4 (Great), Tie, Checks In Peril to Succeed]

Zidan seems half-distracted all throughout practice. She finally yells in frustration after being disarmed for the third time. She picks up her sword and walks away.

“Where are you going?” Wenchang calls after her.

“Your friends are slow,” Zidan says. “I’m going to deal with this the correct way. She’s the problem right now. Not the letter or Liang Ju or whatever.”

Wenchang catches up. “You can’t do that.”

She lifts her chin. “What would you do if it was your mother?”

No-brainer there. “…Fine. But you won’t be alone.” Someone’s gotta look after the kid smh

They’ll never work all of that out - or so Dewang thinks. Baozi and Zijia seem to find it much more helpful. Soon enough, they’ve worked out what she’s told Liang Ju, mostly based on double meanings and the sounds of the Silla language. [Lore Skill 5+1, rolled 9 (Legendary), Style]

“She’s telling him not to betray Yuan Shao,” frowns Zijia. “Lu Bu will not forgive, no matter what he does.”

“I don’t think Yuan Shao will appreciate that much,” Baozi shakes his head. “Based on what we know of her affections for the man, I think she’d rather Liang Ju was executed.”

“There’s more, though,” says Dewang. “I learned more about the cult. It may help with what she wrote to her father…”

Baozi and Zijia take copious notes and argue on a level that’s frankly above Dewang’s head. They seem to be getting somewhere - when one of the prison guards comes in.

Wenchang leans against the wall while Zidan goes into the cell. The prisoner lifts her head, and the two lock eyes. Carefully maintaining enough distance, Zidan pulls out a rock and starts sharpening her sword.

After a couple of minutes, the warrior says casually, "Your blade is much smaller than this, but apparently big enough to slit my mother's throat."

Hui Qiao stares at her, betraying nothing.

"But of course, your mother is a tree. I would need my axe to cut her down. But this," she waves her glinting sword, "should be sufficient for your father."

The woman watches her quietly.

"By the way, I was wondering, does this Mother-tree bleed blood or sap?" Zidan says viciously.

Hui Qiao is still for the longest moment, then shrugs slightly. Zidan flushes angrily.

"My father can be quite forgiving even to those who send people to murder my mother, but he needs a good reason to be. I, on the other hand, would rather beg forgiveness than ask permission, so who is it to be?! Your father or your mother? TELL ME!”

“That’s quite enough, Zidan,” Wenchang appears at the door. “This is going nowhere.”

“Give me more time,” she snaps without looking back, focused on the woman.

He shakes his head. "No. Come out, now."

Zidan takes a threatening step, and then another, but Wenchang is too quick, grabbing her before she is within Hui Qiao's reach. He picks her up bodily and marches off, only to meet Dewang outside. Zidan is still struggling and cursing, so he simply shrugs apologetically and continues onward.

When they’re safely out of the way, Dewang slips inside. Hui Qiao does appear intact, which is just as well, as much for Zidan’s sake as her own.

“Are you all right?”

Not hurt, she scribbles. Terrified, though, adds the Treatise of Truth. He honestly wouldn’t have known.

"Good,” says Dewang, and sits down. "I don't know whether your husband will fall into the trap you’ve laid for him. But that’s your business.”

Hui Qiao writes furiously.

your friend is crazy

“Can you blame her?” says Dewang.

Yes, writes Hui Qiao, and glowers.

Not crazy, only seventeen, with her mother in danger and a fool for a father. “Fair enough,” sighs Dewang. “I can’t blame you either. For that, or for dodging my question.”

why should I answer

“No reason,” says Dewang. “Except that we haven’t hurt you - not even my crazy young friend - and if we can work things out with your family, there’ll be no need to.”

you might not but Lu Bu will
I want vengeance after

“Against whom? Lu Bu? My brothers? Ju Shou? Gongsun Zan? Liang Ju?”

Hui Qiao actually kicks over the tray of sand.

“Everyone, then?”

Hui Qiao, nods, then shakes her head. Sheepishly, she kneels down and writes in the spilled sand.

anyone who hurts my family and my city

“We’d rather not,” says Dewang, truthfully.

Wenchang deposits Zidan on the cold floor of the barracks. She is immediately up on her feet but when she turns to look at him, she is calm, even a bit ashamed.

"Too much? Sorry. I am my father's daughter."

Wenchang hides a smile. "Perhaps you should be more like your mother. She was the target, but she hasn't let it affect her nearly this much."

"I'm working on it," protests Zidan. "But Hui Qiao doesn't even care whether her family lives or dies."

"She's trained not to care, or at least act like it." He watches her fiddle with her sword. "Why do you care about her dispassion? Because your threats were useless?"

"Because I'm useless," whispers Zidan. She clears her throat. "I want to help take care of this matter, but she plays these stupid games!"

Wenchang raises an eyebrow. "You're a soldier, not a professional interrogator. We're useful on the battlefield. There you can take care of Yuan Shao, of Liang Ju, of anyone who dares attack your family. Speaking of which," he draws his weapon and gestures.

They go back to fighting. After some minutes, Zidan mutters, "I know I'm a warrior. Not a politician."

"I don't think any of us is, really," considers Wenchang. "Baozi prefers to be behind the scenes. Ge Dewang has a silver tongue but can't seek office. He isn't interested in power anyway."

"So it's up to you?" Zidan weaves around.

"And you," Wenchang parries. "You might well rule Bingzhou one day. You'll have to learn to be actually nic-ouch!"

Zidan tosses her head. "I'll learn. Eventually."

"If you regret going down to the cells, you've already started."

Zidan smiles.

"And don't worry," Wenchang continues in a matter-of-fact tone, "our friends are more than a match for anyone's bullshit subtleties."

Zidan laughs at that. "I'm learning that too."

“We’d rather take it without a fight anyway,” agrees Baozi, later. “And she may not want to help us, but we’ve worked out what she wrote to her father. It was ‘The Bingzhou men don’t hate us, only Junyou.’”

“Oh, does it show?” asks Dewang, almost as innocently as Hui Qiao.

“Mm. Well, they did try to kill me,” says Baozi. “I haven’t forgotten that. But I don’t think it was personal, and we’re not planning on trusting them too far. As long as they don’t betray Gongsun Zan. We’ll send the letter to her father, adding a few words of our own. As long as the Huis work with us, Junyou can do as he pleases.”

“He’ll run away,” grunts Wenchang. “As always.”

Zidan isn’t there, so Dewang says, aloud, “He’ll probably run to Lu Bu and try to talk him round. We should be ready for that.”

roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:00 am

Junyou

The river was high, fast and as blue as the wide open sky. Liang Ju had 100 fast ships and the best marines in the North. With the fords overrun until late summer there was no way to cross without paying the ferries and the ferries paying the substantial tax that he had levied the past winter. Once the river began to slow and lower of course the fords would open and the crossing would become possible for the enemy on the other bank.

It would be another two weeks until that happened according to Zhou Cang. Junyou knew that Gngsun Zan was planning to cross by the increase in mounted patrols on the north bank and the substantial number of ‘merchants’ he had interrogated. They never seemed to know much until he offered to seize their carts, when suddenly they had the ear of the governor himself.

With such high level connections they could surely absorb a few losses once they left Nan Pi… Smiling at the thought Junyou left his friend in charge of the river garrison and returned to the palace.

A week later, in the middle of a lazy afternoon with his favorite concubines, Kongzhi burst in on him breathless and dressed for war.

“Gongsun Zan is crossing the river!”
“That’s Impossible, Zhou Cang has...”
“The ships are on the north shore, only the ones manned by the Gentleman were held.”
“How many?” he asked with a sigh.
“Five,” she said sullenly.

Liang Ju came to his feet in an instant and began barking orders while rushing to dress for battle. Messengers went in all directions to give orders to the army. Liang Yin was given special orders which no one seemed to notice which was odd given how strange they were.

“Kongzhi, get my wife, the loyal one, and tell her to bring my bronze xiao then gather the rest of the Gentleman and make for the cove. I will meet you there.”

Gongsun Zan and Zilong

Governor Gongsun surveyed his forces from atop his best horse. The tall, white stallion stamped and danced beside Zhao Zilong’s grey gelding. The young officer couldn’t help but grin, the governor was one of the best horsemen in the world yet even he couldn’t turn a charger into a parade mount.

Before them stretched the might of Youzhou and its Xianbei allies; 1800 cavalry of all kinds, 1000 archers with warbows, 600 more with heavy crossbows and 2800 infantry with spears, shields and sabres. In raw numbers it wasn’t the largest force in the region, but its equipment and training were well beyond the sea of conscripts they had faced in the rebellion and expected to see on the vast plains of Jizhou.

They were ready to march but had to wait for the full moon. The next morning he would head south 50li each day until he arrived at the river where a fleet of river boats will be waiting to take his army across the swollen waters. Had anyone but Baozi suggested such a thing he may have been executed on the spot for how preposterous the idea was, especially when he insisted the crossing would go unopposed.

But Mao Baozi swore it would work, and so Gongsun Zan believed him. Batu did as well but for his own reasons. The omens were particularly favorable for invasion at the coming full moon so regardless of the odd strategist’s plans the Xianbei wizard was satisfied they would prevail.

Lv Bu and Cao Cao

The Imperial Commander was elated,
“That stream is less than shank deep and made of hard clay, Mengde. Their infantry will be unable to withstand a charge from there. At dawn I will sweep west and crash into them while you meet their line with the infantry.”

Mengde listened patiently and carefully raised his objections,
“The rebel Huang Shao is a magician who commands the weather, he will not be unaware of the waters on this field he has chosen to make his stand. Your cavalry have chased him to this place across many small streams, low hills and open pastures. But this place is different. 20li to each side are foothills and then more defensible mountains, yet the enemy wishes to fight here.”

Uncharacteristically for the towering warrior Lv Bu listened to his advisor, but Mengde knew he wasn’t going to change his mind. The terrain was perfect for heavy cavalry to break the enemy line and for light cavalry to destroy them in the rout. Nothing could sway Fengxian from reaching for victory and ending the rebellion in Qingzhou. They spoke long after sunset but in the morning Lv Bu climbed into his saddle and led his cavalry west while Cao Cao gathered the infantry and marched north to engage a rebel force twice his size.

Cao Mengde sighed as the greatest warrior alive prepared to charge into certain defeat and turned his head to gaze upon the, now gleaming, sea from Jieshi mountain east to Dongyan.

East of Jieshi mountain, I gaze at the blue sea.
The water dances so gently, the mountain island towers.
Trees here grow thick, a hundred grasses are lush.
The autumn wind soughs, great waves rise up.
The path of the sun and moon, seems to come from within.
The splendid Milky Way, seems to come from inside.
Oh, I am so lucky, to be singing my song!

Huang Shao

10,000 spears glinted in the Qingzhou sun while their banners and scarves made the field look like a meadow of yellow blossoms. From a small hill Huang Shao faced them and raised his sword to the Heavens,

“The Firmament has fallen!” he roared to a thundering response of ‘the Yellow Sky rises!’

The chant repeated as it rippled across the army until it became a jumble of raw noise before Lord Huang called for order. It was still a marvel to his close disciples when such a crowd obeyed.

“Brothers,” he called out to them, “Here on the banks of the Yellow River, the very center of the world, we shall meet the Army of the Corrupt and we shall turn the waters red with their blood. No more will they chase us down like dogs hunting hare. Here we become tigers!”

The cheers lasted for long minutes and then broke into songs that rang out the rest of the day and into the night. Huang Shao moved among his battalions until sunset when he retired to his command tent to make final preparations. The enemy battle would come in the morning and his commanders needed to know their places and their purpose.

He told them somberly,
“At dawn I shall call out to the skies to swell the rivers. This will protect our flanks and if Heaven favors us it will catch Lv Bu in the streams and break his heavy horse. But Cao Cao will come at us from the front and while we outnumber him we have only light infantry and hand thrown weapons against his Imperial heavy infantry, heavy crossbows and his personal guard, the elite Leopard Cavalry.”

The gloom in the tent was palpable.

“Sun Tzu wrote ‘When you surround an army, leave an outlet free’ in that way the enemy may try to escape, or, his forces pressed, may flee in a panic into a narrow space where he can be crushed. When the waters rise we will have no escape, our men will know that they must fight on to the death and that only faith and trust in their brothers will save them.”

“But my lord,” asked one commander, “Cao Cao knows this and will also know that Master Sun said ‘Do not press a desperate foe’. We have no supplies, if he waits then we will starve here by the fertile sea.”

“This is true,” Huang Shao said with a grim smile, “But Lv Bu will attack all the same, and Cao Cao will be our only way to freedom. The men will roar and truly they will be tigers caught at bay.”

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:01 pm

And now… the thrilling Conclusion!

Junyou

Liang Ju stared at the thick marshes with disdain. Zhou Cang insisted they stop and ensure the ships are seaworthy before they reach the delta. The cunning pirate wanted to use the speed of the river to clear the breakers and speed past anyone who might attempt to ambush them at the river’s mouth. To do that, he claimed, they would need to tighten the ropes and tar the hulls.

Junyou wasn’t even aware boats used tar. It certainly explained why they were so flammable.

Luckily the repairs/improvements only took a day and they were off with a strong wind and swift current at dawn. No one was waiting for them and so they easily cleared the breaker and turned north along the coast until dark where they pulled into a cove and plundered the contents of a nearby village.

With a mouthful of salted pork Zhou Cang smiled and drew their route in the sand, “Along the coast past Beiping then we launch eastward and allow the winds to pull us south to Liaodong and finally to the shores of Guguryeo here.”

Junyou frowned, “No, too many coast guards will be looking for us, we need to make for Silla and my mother’s father with all speed.” He pointed to the far side of the Goreo Penninsula.

Zhou Cang was so shocked that he dropped his pork in the fire. With a sad sigh he let it go, the flames were too hot to reach inside, “Riverboats cannot risk the open water, my lord. THe Bohai Sea alone will challenge the sailors to cross. If we encounter a storm our flat bottoms will fail in minutes and we will drown in the wine dark sea.” He drew a circle in the Yellow Sea where they could not risk a crossing.

Junyou speared his friend’s fallen haunch with his sword and smiled, “Steel doesn’t burn, my friend.” He returned the meat and considered the map, “Damn those Huis. All lost for their perfidy. They have allies and relations in Goguryeo, they will have warned them of us. We cannot face a hostile navy with our boats loaded with our treasures.”

The normally smirking bandit looked back to the southwest and spit, then with sudden propose he leaped to his feet and pointed his sword. Nearly roaring he swore, “When I return to Nan Pi I will burn Hui manor to the ground and use their damned tree to kindle it!”

Looking back to Zhou Cang he commanded, “Will will spend two days on the coast and if we find a more seaworthy vessel to steal then we will do so, otherwise we cross the sea in what we have.”

A cold breeze blew over them from the west. The fire sputtered. Zhou Cang pulled his cloaks tighter and looked out to sea with fear in his heart.

Liang Ju Junyou’s grin returned and a cold laugh could be heard though his lips never parted.
Two days later they captured a merchant’s carrack and loaded the most valuable of their goods on it to ready for the crossing. Junyou intended to take all of his boats, and he was not about to let good sailors go to waste, but nor was he about to let captured men sail his new flagship. He left it to Zhou Cang to distribute them and kept the captain and his son as his guests. They thought Junyou was mad, but they were too wise to mention it.

They sheltered one last night and then set sail to the tip of Liaodong, across 300li of open water with their riverboats loaded with ballast to keep their keels down. The wind was with them all day but by midevening the sky was overcast and they took down their sails lest they be blown off course in the night. Dawn came with a heavy fog but the sun showed the way east and they set out at full sail and oar until midday when Zhou Cang reckoned they must be close and they reduced sail to avoid coming too quickly upon an unknown coast.

He was wise to do so as they were a dozen li north of where he had wished to make landfall and so they were forced to row to a safe shelter as the wind and the waves began to batter them. The next morning a storm came up and kept them ashore for three days and nights. Even moored as they were it was too much for one of the boats and it foundered in but 2 fathoms of water.

Junyou was furious, but it could take a week to recover the boat and the men refused to sail in it even if they did bring her back. The omen was clear that she was cursed, only doom would come to those foolish enough to take such a boat onto the sea.

From Liaodong they went south to Qingzhou, the last phase of the journey before they left China for the Yellow Sea where they would have to sail over 500li to reach Jejudo Strait between the mainland and Jejudo Island. From there it was only one more day to Sillan waters and the safety of Junyou’s maternal family.

Junyou had expected the ports along the coast to be showing Imperial flags by now. But not only was the governor’s banner nowhere to be seen, the yellow flag of the rebels flew high on every spur and pole. They went close enough to see it was Huang Shao who currently ruled in Qingzhou and Liang Ju wondered if his fortunes had turned.

“Put in at the next cove,” he ordered a shocked Zhou Cang, “I intend to learn more about the situation here before moving on.

Zhao Zilong

Zilong led his lord’s vanguard across the river and fought several small skirmishes with troops who didn’t seem to know they had already surrendered the river. He ordered his men to break their lines but not to pursue them when they routed. Those who refused to break formation he ordered battered with clubs and arrested instead of run through with lances.

He left them behind with the infantry and a message recommending them to the governor for their courage, “Captain, tell Lord Gongsun that Zilong has gone ahead and that these men are Imperial tigers.”

He sped off to Nan Pi, eager to encounter Liang Ju and his regiment of bandits but was denied satisfaction. Scouts reported a column of green-sashed troops and carts heading east, but duty forbade him from diverting into the fields and hills to give chase. He had to take the gates of the city and meet with their allies before some fool rallied the defenders and tried to fight.

When he arrived, Zilong was greeted as a liberator and his battalion claimed the gate without incident. Magistrate Hui was there in person to welcome him and to introduce him to the people as a friend.

It would not be the last time that Zilong would be so well treated by the Huis…

Lv Bu

The Flying General crashed into the rebel flank through the low stream and shattered the enemy like dried rice in a typhoon. It was only the sudden, unnatural swelling of the water that stopped his charge. Hundreds of rebels were swept downstream to their doom while warhorses raged and foundered in the crush.

Fengxian roared and pushed on, nothing could stop the mighty Red Hare’s charge and his master hacked and slew by the dozens as he went on. But while Chi Tu Ma was King of Horses, he was but one creature and though Lv Bu was worth 1000 soldiers there were too many rebels and now they held the banks.

But Lv Bu was not one to let poor position or disadvantage change his plans and so he battered his troops against the superior enemy position for hours until man and steed were exhausted and bloody and gained nothing more for all their dead. Only when he heard the sound of Cao Cao withdrawing did he consider retreat himself but not without one last charge where he finally set Red Hare’s hooves atop the embankment.

He stayed there, killing alone for several minutes, but his soldiers could not join him in numbers. The enemy held and beyond them he could see that Huang Shao had his staff raised and was commanding the winds and the waters against Cao Cao.

Lv Bu took his bow from his saddle and let a single arrow fly in a mighty arc. It met the sorcerer’s wind and flew like an eagle to its target. Like lightning from a clear sky it struck the rebel wizard in the hand and cast his staff to the earth.

Released from Huang Shao’s control the winds swirled and the waters thrashed, but Cao Cao was still beaten and Lv Bu could’s me had no strength left to continue. But nor could Huang Shao seal his plot and destroy the Imperial Army.

They would withdraw and reform to the west.

Huang Shao

Lord Huang was thrilled as he commanded the skies to drive back Cao Cao’s arrows and entreated the water to hold the mighty Lv Bu at bay. Everything was finally coming together, Cao Cao was retreating and Lv Bu would then be encircled and destroyed. A true victory after so many defeats.

Then a single arrow ruined it.

Huang Shao cried out and his chi evaporated. He collapsed, out of breath and wracked with a terrible pain in his hand. Blood gushed from his wound and with it all his energy and concentration. His spells were broken and wild as they violently tried to return to balance in the Tao.

He struggled to his feet, commanded his disciples to continue, but collapsed in a red morass just as darkness overtook him.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:44 am

“Gone?” asks Wenchang.

“Governor Gongsun’s men report he stole a merchant ship. Word’s come in from Qingzhou and Liaodong. He’s been spotted up and down the coast but,” Zibin shrugs, “Liang Ju could be anywhere.”

Zidan clears her throat. “And Hui Qiao?”

Baozi looks at her warily, before scanning the letter. “Reached Nan Pi safely with our escort. Magistrate Hui has quietly annulled his children’s marriages, and will wed the daughter to one of the Governor’s officers. Unnamed.”

“Good luck to the man, he will need it,” Dewang says drily. “So your plan succeeded. What now?”

“Now comes our part,” says Baozi. “Yuan Shao has hurled his entire army at the Governor, leaving Shangdang to its fate. There is no better time. Our forces should march as soon as possible.”

Accordingly, the army gathers at Hangu fortress. Lu Yu and Dong Zhao are called to manage the province in Baozi’s absence. The man in question pores over maps and records before coming to a conclusion.

“We must take Tiankai before Shangdang. It’s the fortified pass to White Wave Valley. If we control that then we prevent Hedong from surrounding us. Otherwise, Han Fu would have a clear path to our supply trains.”

Zhang Yan makes a surprise visit during the busy muster. The ex-bandit boasts about the glorious fight against the rebels and makes a show of narrating the Imperial Commander’s exploits in particular to Zidan who, of course, hangs on every word. When all is said and done he reveals that he has been sent to ask for more soldiers, but Dewang can tell he hopes to stay.

The military leaders at Tiankai, Sui Gu, and Shangdang, Chunyu Qiong, are former colleagues of Zhang Yan, thus Baozi recommends he stay and provide useful inside information which he is only too happy to do. It is not as though they can spare the troops anyway.

The only thing left after that is to discuss the crossing of a tributary of the Yellow River, which cuts off Shangdang from them. Fording is an arduous task, and they risk Tiankai’s assault while crossing and upon landing. The heroes discuss the possibility of going around the mountains, but it is too much for an army of this size. But perhaps, a small force...

“Hmmpf. And if we wished to take an army through the mountains to give Yuan Shao a surprise...”

“Paying a toll fee is only the responsible thing to do,” Senlin grins wickedly, the lamplight playing across her scar. “Gold is always welcome, warrior.”

Dewang volunteers for the parley. He keeps the letter simple and factual. “We have helped one another out many times, and as you have seen by now, we aren’t averse to working with a few controversial figures. If this goes well, we could very well get you a pardon. And of course, we will pay you."

The Bull sends the messenger back with a location and day of crossing. And a message of her own. “Cross me, and it will be the last mistake you ever make.”

All set, the army marches south till the river. Dewang, Zidan and her Maids peel off there and make for the mountain. Two women wearing hooded cloaks meet them at the point. Neither of them is the Bull, and they offer no explanation, only nod and lead the way. The group hikes through the mountains and Zidan manages to position themselves according to Baozi’s instructions. Dewang thanks the Vixens and pays them.

The taller one nods. “We have helped each other, so it all evens out.” She smirks at Zidan’s questioning look. “Why, Tiankai can’t help Hedong while it itself is in a battle!”

Dewang raises his eyebrows. “So you’re going to harass Han Fu! Well, we will not object to that. I wish you only success.”

The flanking company descends the mountain while the main army fords the river and approaches Tiankai from the other side. Of course, a warning is a matter of formality.

Dewang pens some letters and instructs Feiyan how he is to speak - Sui Gu is more likely to yield if he is given an incentive as well as threats, after all.

Zidan and Zhang Yan are sent to demand surrender. Sui Gu welcomes them in.

“Good day,” Zidan grins. “I’m Lu Bu’s daughter, and I’m exactly like him. Surrender or die.”

Sui Gu gulps.

Feiyan quickly speaks up, "What she means is, we've got you surrounded, we've some serious warrior force here and we've got Mao Xu who engineered a way into Jicheng. If you submit, you won't have to deal with any of that, my friend."

Sui Gu hides his fear poorly, and murmurs something about “certainly considering it” before they leave.

“He’s all but broken,” Zidan asserts, back at the command table.

“I have a plan in case the negotiations fall through,” says Baozi, “but ideally we would have the city without wanton destruction.”

“Especially since it is our state,” Wenchang scratches his beard. “Perhaps a demonstration. Infantry marching in formation?”

“Or just you,” Dewang gestures at his belt. “Go out there and wave your glowy sword.”

Zidan chuckles. “I’d pay to see that.”

Wenchang sighs, but does go out and perform some maneuvers with the Golden Sun Saber. The enemy troops atop the walls shiver as the reflecting rays practically blind everyone.

That evening Sui Gu arrives with a formal letter of surrender. Xin Pi the administrator, along with his guards, flees before the heroes even set foot into the city. No other significant desertions happen, and Zidan takes Sui Gu and his former bandits into employment.

Later they learn Xin Pi has fled to Eyuju where his elder brother is Prefect. There is no time to give chase as they must make haste for Shangdang. They leave Dong Zhao in charge of Tiankai.

“Shangdang won’t be nearly as easy,” warns Baozi. “The walls, help from Eyuju, from Yuan Shao - they have many advantages.”

“Perhaps I can help with the last part.” Dewang sends a letter to the spy Xiao Xiuying, whom he placed in Yuan Shao’s employ. Since the Duke’s advisors are already notoriously fractious, it doesn’t take much to create confusion. A nudge here, a whispered word there, and the reinforcements from Ye are slowed down by three weeks amidst the shouting matches and pleas.

As they lay siege to Shangdang, Baozi pits his wits against Guo Tu, each strategist trying to identify and counter the other’s tactics. At first, everything seems to go in the defender’s favour; naturally, he knows the city and surrounding area best, and he knows how to use it. Baozi struggles to prevent him gaining a decisive advantage. But as the days go on, he begins to get the measure of his adversary and to understand his tactics, until he is able to predict them with confidence.

Dewang, at some point, manages to find a little solitude. Soon a fog covers the earthworks around Shangdang, making it difficult for the enemy to see their position.

Chunyu Qiong leads a sortie outside the city to meet the heroes in battle. “You’re a rebel, Wei Yan!”

“Your master has unlawfully seized our territory,” roars Wenchang. “Who is the rebel?”

Wenchang cuts through the enemy army in a wide arc to meet Chunyu Qiong, whom he assails with such vigour that the man turns tail and runs back inside soon after.

Inside Shangdang city, Guo Tu’s days are increasingly fraught and his nights sleepless as he finds his every move anticipated and accounted for by the besiegers. They seem to exploit every weakness in the city’s defenses, minimising the advantage of the walls. It begins to seem that there’s nothing he can do to defeat the strategies of Mao Xu.

Finally, internal treachery tips the scales. Local Taoists, admirers of Master Du, open the gates for them. Chunyu Qiong rallies at the palace to make a final stand. He is willing to fight, but most of the army isn't. Those from nearby desert, those from further away surrender en masse.

Guo Tu tries to flee the scene entirely. Zidan, of course, gives chase. The strategist has a few clerks and harried guards plus some of his letters with him. He tries to throw the scrolls into the river when the warrior catches up but she easily rescues them, as well as apprehending him.

The letters include Guo Tu’s accounts and other matters of administration as well as a letter from Ju Shou saying there would be no reinforcements at first. The reports from the Xin brothers are there as well stating Han Fu is having difficulties (“Ah, those Vixens!”) and that they can't send a relief army either for at least another twenty days.

Chunyu Qiong does not relent, and is killed by Wenchang. Guo Tu is imprisoned for the time being.

Must we treat him as a guest?” Zidan complains.

“He knows if we intended to kill him you already would have,” says Baozi. “Doubtless he will work out our wish to ransom him.”

“Which requires him unharmed and still loyal to his lord,” finishes Dewang. “But that doesn’t mean interrogation is off the table. Just no torture.”

Wenchang nods. “I will talk to him.”

“I will go to Eyuju,” Zidan stands up. She’s tired of talk.

“The city and the surrounding country must be scouted for movement of troops first,” Baozi says. “Perhaps a bird’s viewpoint would help...”

Guo Tu holds warriors in contempt as any scholar, but recognises Wenchang as the leader of their little group, and agrees to speak to him.

“Rebellion will be suitably punished,” he sniffs.

“I am loyal to the central government,” Wenchang says. “Could you say the same? Yuan Shao is a swindler. You took control of Shangdang a year ago, with no intention of handing it back.”

“Of course I am loyal.” Guo Tu smiles wryly, “Every warlord is also a loyal servant of the capital.” Or must say they are. “As for Shangdang, when my lord serves the Emperor, it is not dishonourable to deceive rebels.”

The warrior shakes his head. “And anybody opposing the duke is of course, a rebel.”

“Ding Yuan has undue influence over the Court. You are allies with him, so you are also rebels of course.”

“Right, the Prime Minister has undue influence. Unless Yuan Shao is Prime Minister, of course.” Wenchang checks himself. Guest. Hospitality. Polite.

Guo Tu calmly changes the subject. “To business, perhaps.”

Wenchang sets down his teacup. “Very well. Here is our offer: Bingzhou is ours. Including the south. Leave. Do not come back unless you are hungry for death.”

“With what face would I go back to my lord? Better to die here!” Guo Tu says, hand on his heart. “Grant safe passage to the Xin brothers and the army in Eyuju, and we will leave in peace.”

“Lu Lingqi is cutting up said army as we speak. Unfortunately too late to send word now.” Wenchang’s smile is steely. “You can have what’s left after she is finished.”

“...Very well. You shall have complete control over Shangdang and Eyuju, and-”

And Hedong.”

Guo Tu pauses. “I cannot speak for Hedong. Take it up with Han Fu.”

“Han Fu will soon be headless!” thunders Wenchang. “But Yuan Shao must give up his claim to the city right now.”

The scholar is silent for a moment. “He will, for a price.”

Wenchang snarls, but Guo Tu holds a hand up. “Your loyalty.”

“What?”

“Come work for the Duke, and you could be lord of any province you wish.”

Wenchang tries not to sneer. Polite, polite. “Thank you, but I must regrettably decline."

Guo Tu is expressionless. “Then I suppose gold and horses will suffice.”

They both sign the peace treaty a day later.

Falconzi scouts Eyuju and reports back. The city has six brigades of regular troops and three of conscripts. They had the troops from Shangdang before the siege and have drawn up the militia since then. Of course, they only have one horse brigade.

With this information, Zidan links up their mounted scouts with her own Maids and thus, with two brigades of her own to match the enemy cavalry and then some, sets out.

Out in the country, Zidan commandeers a few army supplies from mounted patrols: grain, beans and pack animals, recouping at least a quarter of what Wenchang paid for Hedong. She hits hard and fast, and gets out just as quickly. Eyuju sends stronger reinforcements to drive her out, but she is already gone. She leaves no trace of her identity behind, leaving them scratching their heads.

Spy reports come in. Yuan Shao and Gongsun Zhao are in a bloody stalemate. Ju Shou left a small force at Ye and sent the majority to help his master at Nan Pi. Thus, the Duke has the advantage of numbers, but can’t compete in the open against the northern cavalry. Liu Bei has come to help the Governor as well.

The Bull fought with Han Fu for a while before taking over and securing White Wave Valley.

In the capital Yuan Shao has sent envoys to try and score a political victory. Ding Yuan isn't about to let him off the hook as easily, but distractions abound as the Imperial Army is faring badly against the rebels in Qing and Yan.

The worst news is reserved for last: Dong Zhuo has reached a truce with Ma Teng and has amassed an army across the river from Hedong.

Ding Yuan is eager for any excuse to fight Dong Zhuo, and assures our heroes of help. Lu Bu hands over the Imperial Army to a delighted Cao Cao and starts for Bingzhou at his father’s behest.

Dewang takes his two chief followers and makes for Luoyang. Whatever is happening there, he and his brothers want to know and preferably influence.

Wenchang, Baozi and Zidan rush to Hedong, thankfully arriving before Dong Zhuo has even crossed the river. Han Fu promptly shuts the gates of the city, calling them rebels. Sigh.

Zidan and her maids ride out, scouting the country and chasing down as many as they can of the messengers Han Fu has sent to ask for aid. She returns, with several captured messages and a grin fit to split her face.

“I think a few might have got through, but listen, who do you suppose Han Fu asked for help to defeat us?”

“Yuan Shao for sure,” Wenchang says, “and probably Dong Zhuo as well.”

“Yes, both of them,” Zidan says impatiently, “and… Ding Yuan!”

Wenchang laughs with her, “We should ride up to the walls and say that we’re the help Lord Ding has sent.”

But Baozi looks thoughtful. “It might even work; there is another army approaching after all. We would need to commit ourselves not to harm Han Fu, even politically, but if he accepted it, we could be defending the city walls by the time Dong Zhuo gets here, without any cost in blood.”

Wenchang looks black at the idea of leaving Han Fu, if not in control of Hedong then at least in a post not obviously less. But the advantages are too great to be ignored. After some deliberation, Zhang He is selected to negotiate. Armed with a copy of their agreement with Yuan Shao, as well as Han Fu’s request to Ding Yuan, he rides up to the city under a flag of parley. And returns later, bearing Han Fu’s agreement.

The gates are opened for the Bingzhou army to be welcomed in as defenders, and Han Fu remains in notional control for now, on the understanding that he will focus on civil affairs, leaving the military command to Baozi and Wenchang.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Mon May 31, 2021 6:47 pm

As the three of them leave the Governor’s palace one afternoon, they run into an old acquaintance of Zibin’s - Cao Mengde. He’s on an errand, along with Mao Jie - something about some documents he wants to bring to the Dowager - but nonetheless gets drawn into a discussion of poetry and painting with Zibin.

Mengde is Ding Yuan's son-in-law, but they've barely spoken to him before, through he had been at the battle in Luoyang. Now he is an Imperial Strategist, and is the administrator of Chenliu - which means he controls the prince. But he clearly wants more, and Dewang is sure of one thing - he will have it. Whatever comes next, this man will emerge as a friend or enemy to be feared. Or he already is one - the capital moves quickly, and even Ding Yuan has little control.

Perhaps oddly, his interest in the arts is refreshingly genuine. But Cao Mengde never does anything without a purpose, and soon talk of music leads them to talk of Cai Yong, in his capacity as a musician. More to the point, he’s the court astrologer, and Mengde happens to be hosting a dinner for him soon, and won’t they make an appearance?

Dewang can’t work out what’s behind that invitation - he dismisses Mengde’s assertion that it will be ‘interesting to hear the Taoist perspective on the Six Arts’ - but given that many personages of the capital will be present, it’s not an opportunity he can miss.

Some guests do seem to find it interesting, but unfortunately not the useful kind. Dewang and Zibin parry a few of the curious literati and try to pass under the noses of the stricter, older elite. It begins to dawn on them that their mere presence is a statement to one of the different factions - perhaps an attempt to associate Ding Yuan with another faction, or even with the rebels.

But there’s little they can do about that, now that they’re there. A game of darts leads to an argument - fortunately Dewang and his followers have declined to play. Someone hastily ends the argument by calling for a toast, which leads the group back to food, drinking, and talk of politics. Mengde listens very closely to the arguments and in fact to almost everything his guests say when he is near. Then he turns them toward supporting Cai Yong's position.

The guests soon drift towards two poles - Cai Yong, who holds that the rebels are the greatest threat, and Wang Yun, who forcefully holds that the governors should be curtailed of power before the empire turns its full attention to the rebels. Is it not the over-powerful governors who have split the kingdom, leading to the rebellions? Clerks begin to move between the two camps, carrying messages - hopefully not insults.

Zibin leans in and offers: “Mengde is cunning; he is using our presence to foment unrest between Cai Yong and Wang Yun. Hopefully no one will recognize that Yuanjian fought for Zhang Jue.”
Dewang panics for exactly one moment, resists the urge to disguise Yuanjian’s face with an illusion, and calms himself. Fortunately Yuanjian is dressed only as a bodyguard, and has not attracted much attention aside from giving one overly-drunk and obnoxious courtier a chilling glare.

Zibin continues. “Both you and Cao Cao are two steps removed from Ding Yuan's inner circle: you through your Brothers and Mengde through his wife. He is showing Wang Yun that Central Power (ie Ding Yuan) is on the side of Taoists.”

“I suppose there’s nothing for it, then,” says Dewang, but he’s interrupted by a slight commotion as Jian Yong, already half-drunk, invites himself in. But there’s little time to see what he does - Wang Yun calls for silence. Several musicians enter, and then an exquisite young woman he introduces as Diaochan, his daughter. Not strictly true, adds the treatise.

Wang Yun accompanies her on the guqin as she dances most enchantingly. Everyone stops to watch - Dewang, looking around the room, spots a gleam in Mengde’s eye. It seems that he has a weak spot after all.

“Have you heard about her?” he asks Zibin, who’s sketching the girl on a scrap of paper. The image seems to dance on its own - for an instant, he thinks it is. “Zibin, it won’t do to animate her here.”

Zibin grins sheepishly. "Probably not safe to ever animate such a thing. I have heard that Lu Bu has been meeting with Wang Yun lately..."

“The last thing we need is those two quarreling over her,” sighs Dewang. Soon the dance is over, and Mengde goes over to talk to Wang Yun, but the man pleads his age and tells him to come by the next day. Wang Yun is no older than fifty-three - this is another ploy.

The party ends soon afterwards, leading Dewang with plenty to worry about and few ideas.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Windy » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:33 pm

what does this have to do with fate where is saber

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie