[Game Adjacent] The Dragon Files OOC

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

[Game Adjacent] The Dragon Files OOC

Postby Scarik » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Here's a list of factions that will matter.

Mortal

The Mob
Its really two groups of ethnic mafias that I will expand on as needed. In the north part of Boston its the Italians and in the south part its the Irish. Both are dangerous and powerful though they compete with each other so their total influence is lessened across the city and limited to their own neighborhoods.

The Police
I include the FBI here. Law enforcement is trying to crack down on organized crime but its difficult due to the local police being incredibly corrupt as well as heavily infiltrated by the mafias.

Supernatural

The Vampire Courts
All the courts are represented in Greater Boston: Red and White, and even Black and Jade.

The White Court holds sway in the cities and suburbs directly north of Boston as well as those of the South Shore of the bay (Cambridge, Medford, Revere and all the way to Lynn in the north, Weymouth, Hingham, Cohasset, Hull and Scituate to the southeast).

House Raith is based in Hingham among the debutantes and urban elites who prefer the seaside access and relative quiet of the town. House Skavis is closest to the city center in Cambridge where they can prey upon students of the elite universities who are overwhelmed by their work. House Malvora is further northwest in picturesque Lexington where they claim they drove the Colonials so mad with fear that they rebelled against mighty Britain.

The Red Court is entrenched to the west in Framingham and in conflict with the Jade as it tries to expand into the city center. There is a smaller pack out of Providence, RI that is expanding north as well.

The Black Court is only a few individuals based in Salem. They are very interested in crushing the White Court but since their weaknesses are so well know they cannot act openly.

The Jade Court is ensconced in Chinatown, the western neighborhoods of Roslindale and Jamaica Plain as well as the city of Quincy which has the highest population of East Asian immigrants in the state.

The Faerie Courts

There is almost no presence of the Winter and Summer Courts in the Boston area. They are the only ones who know that there are dragons in the area and they want no part of that.

There are plenty of Wyldfae, but they are scattered across the region and only congregate in small numbers of similar fae.

Changelings are quite common as well with perhaps 1000 total among the total population of 4 million.

The Formor

As a major port it is no surprise that the Fomor are present and active. They are ruthless and wicked though so they tend to compete with all other factions, but since there are so few of the Winter and Summer fae to oppose them their strength has become dangerous.

The Outsiders

Its no coincidence that HP Lovecraft set most of his stories in this area. There are many cults who foolishly seek the attention and favor of the Old Ones, particularly The Sleeper, The Hydra, He Who Dwells in the Deep, and The Goat With A Thousand Young.

They are allied with the Fomor in so far as they have similar interests in the Outsiders and in the degradation of themselves and their victims.

The White Council

Wizards are everywhere mortals are and they band together because they know supernatural creatures are incredibly dangerous. The Council in Boston is centered in Cambridge around the vaunted campus of Harvard University.

Given that they are centered in this, the oldest university in the United States, they maintain many of the old traditions. Of these the most obvious is that female wizards are generally excluded from the male-dominated circles of the Harvard Council and have their own group known as the Radcliffe Witches.

Despite the best efforts of the old boys club the Ladies of Radcliffe are an influential block with near parity of total numbers. This actually makes them the largest faction since the men have several different societies dating back to the foundation of the college in the colonial era.

Werecreatures

Not exactly an organized faction but by being similar many of them tend to congregate together.

Werewolves tend to live in or near the heavy woods to the west and north where they can run free without freaking the mundanes. So they hardly matter.

Werecats and werecrows on the other hand are well represented as well as a cast of werehawks who very much do not get along well with the former two and the feelings are mutual.

Last edited by Scarik on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Re: [Game Adjacent] The Dragon Files OOC

Postby Scarik » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:30 am

viewtopic.php?uid=4742&f=42&t=10997&start=0

Thread is live with my delightful intro. Post away.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:58 am

I want to collect the important bits here for now, so I am reposting this bit. Make sure we talk about how each of you have divided your power!

Dragons congregate near ley line nexuses. In fact most like to make their homes directly on said crossings. Boston is an international port for both sea and air. Metaphysically it is this way because of the leylines. Humans unconsciously make their trade routes near or on top of these. Boston is colloquially called 'The Hub' because all the major roads either radiate outward from it or form arcs around it.

So there are dozens of intersecting ley lines in the area including some that wrap around and entangle with may local lines and some that reach out across the ocean and the continent. For a dragon these lines provide access to easy travel (though by nature they dislike going far) and a rich source of magical energy which they require to live as they do in the mortal world.

Dragons are ancient creatures. I said this in the OP but it bears repeating. Likewise they are currently all reduced in power from their mythical origins and each has some way to regain that power if they wish though doing so is difficult and will mean they are unable to remain for long in the mortal realm.

How their power is stored is different for each dragon but there are some common methods.

1) Brood: The dragon has invested their power into other creatures (or plants) and caused them to gain draconic traits and powers. This could be a relatively small number of potent creatures or a vast number of seemingly mundane ones. Or it could be a mixture of such as each generation is reduced in power from the progenitor.

2) Avatars: Similar to brood but each such creature is actually the same personification of the original. In this case the PC is the primal form that can initiate further reductions or reform. Avatars must remain away from each other and as such they inhabit different cities and countries. They are all alike and pursue the same goals save in different places. This is how people in far flung locations can all meet with a single entity at the same time.

3) Artifice: The dragon locks away its power in an item or items. These constructs become magical tokens of varying power depending on how the essence is divided. Some choose a single object that contains their essence. Possession of such a device grants incredible power to the holder but also is a danger to the dragon for if the device is destroyed the sudden flood of energy could be too much to reabsorb. Naturally the dragon cannot use the item themselves of they will immediately regain their power.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:05 pm

In order to help people learn who is who here's a list.

Dramatis Personae

Bydawineas Leviathan, aka (insert cat name) aka Levi
CarrieVS as Jaculus, aka Jack
chrisjander as Cheshire, aka Chess
Ladki96 as Ulupi, aka Lu aka Pannagi
Lualuadingdong as Wizmous
Kivutar as Cipactli, aka feral as fuck, aka Zipacna
Roobeastie as Lucifer, aka Lux, aka Samantha Hill esq.
Panda1594 as Lillith, aka Nox, aka Lilli Smith

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby lualuadingdong » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:10 am

Wizmous has her power collectively in her hoard, which contains both magical items as well as a lineage of humans who are now starting to show signs of budding powers.

lualuadingdong
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:50 am

I dig it, lua.

Additionally I want to specify that dragons can sense one another even in cat form at close range, ie at the distance a cat can detect another cat. They can also sense dragon magic from a fair distance which includes any time a dragon uses their Scale benefit or their Draconic Power.

I'm keeping the actual distance fuzzy but its longer in clear areas (or open water) and much less in dense cities or forests.

EDIT

Mechanically the trigger for detecting a dragon involves them using their Dragon Magic or Draconic Power as well as their Scale. Simply being in dragon form isn't enough and even fighting can't be detected at long range unless supernatural power is employed.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:28 pm

If it should happen to be relevant to anyone (considering the latest events in the thread), my last post ended with Jaculus gorging himself and curling up to sleep. Given his nature and the circumstances, he's out for the count until morning.

Any other dragon who might perhaps be around World's End now or soon to investigate anything, would have to either disturb him in his nest (is that a good idea? I don't know, why not find out. Maybe it's a good idea. He's tiny, after all,) hang around until the morning, or content themselves with investigating the scene of bloody destruction left lying around.

If that really throws a spanner in anyone's works, let me know and it wouldn't be the end of the world to retcon a bit.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Ladki96 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:23 pm

CarrieVS wrote:it wouldn't be the end of the world to retcon a bit.

I wasn't srsly complaining, you know me, I can be wurse than Kivutar when it comes to being impatient. I want to get the team together like, yesterday, is all! is okay though really, the game's barely started, no rush to run around hi hello-ing, especially if it's ooc. I don't think anyone's gonna push except me but that's because I'm turble and also was half-joking

<3

still doesnt mean youre getting off that easy ok
we are doing this
yeah thats right
you better tick your indebted for hugs
thats how it works right

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:53 pm

I wasn't entirely talking to you... Ulupi's not amongst the dragons mentioned in Lua's latest post.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:39 pm

large cast = many stories at the same time = much confusion 4 me

But fear no more with... GOOGLE DOCS! Image

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mv2WWxXUWnMzkldapyvyZIvKJuNcsSYyI68BJ43RIPY/edit

It can keep track of plots!
It can keep track of the characters!
It cannot give you back your draconic powers :(
But it is still pretty useful!

Edit today!

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)