Resisting your comedic impulses

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Resisting your comedic impulses

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:59 pm

You've got to keep yourself in line. You can't always do what you want. Sure your rulers may say you've got some rights or freedoms but do you really?

In this thread we can share anecdotes about things that go on and how you resisted using your comedic instincts and impulses because although you'd find it hilarious, there may be repercussions to your actions. I'll share first.

I work at a grocery store. Last night there was a cart next to the back office with boxes of bread cubes in it. On the top box someone had written "DO NOT PUT OUT" and slightly below that wrote "FOR STORE XXXX".

I had a few ideas of what I could respond to that note with. My first thought was "Don't worry, they aren't even cute". I also considered "Are you calling me a slut?".

Of course I ended up writing nothing at all. :( I don't know how the other store would have reacted to getting a box of bread cubes with that kind of dialogue on it. There's too many Seriously binSerious types in the world to risk it. But on the other hand.... a topic was born from this.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Resisting your comedic impulses

Postby IamNotCreepy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:05 pm

This topic speaks to my soul. There are so many times jokes pop into my head, unbidden. Sometimes they are extremely inappropriate or against my values, so I don't say them.

You know, there are a lot "that's what she said" type moments when you have a baby. Like, it's always "open up" or "stick this in your mouth". I don't make these jokes for obvious reasons.

At work I seriously have to hold my tongue not make sarcastic comments to dumb things clients say. "How do I continue? Do I press the button that says 'Continue'?"

Then are the jokes that would be really mean if I said them, even though they would be funny. With my wife I usually get away with these by saying something like, "Oh man, I just of something really funny to say in response, but I can't because it's too mean."

Usually her curiosity will get the better of it, and I can say it without repercussion.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Re: Resisting your comedic impulses

Postby JamishT » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:36 am

Just a few hours ago, I had a solid opportunity to say "that's what she said", but alas the person who said "This is way more of this than I expected" was a manager. She probably would have laughed, but I decided to not risk it.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult