Spacefarers (a sci-fi RPG)

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: Spacefarers (a sci-fi RPG)

Postby Strant » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:45 pm

OOC

If someone else joins they could take over the ship or something if they wanted.

If no one does join, well, i think the ship should be overtaken by something, space pirates, monsters or whatever.

<Orange>A fellow called Strant (he's a Swede)
<Orange>Is a fetus who somehow can read
<Orange>He'll plant a chat bomb
<Orange>Though with charm and aplomb
<Orange>Then laugh as he watches us bleed
__

"Somewhere over the rainbow there's another rainbow"
Strant
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Asshole

Postby OhJohnNo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:21 pm

OOC

I'll try asking around on IRC to see if anyone wants to take over from Yami.

Don't underrate, appreciate
OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Lord of the game

Postby Strant » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:36 pm

I think we are going to have to restart this thing.

__

Strant
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby WaitYAmIHere » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:40 am

Hey everyone. First, I apologize for leaving abruptly. I had some emergency family stuff that kept me out of town for a while. I still think this is a great game and want to revive it.

After a moment the alien words were replaced by English.

"We are of the Tau Empire. We serve the Greater Good and mean no harm. We seek allies."

“Shunsheng duh gaowhan!” Amirah shouted. “They speak English!?”

“I’m not sure.” Muttered Mathias as he watched the Tau, he supposed, speak to each other. “But we are still on vid so I recommend you keep such outbursts to yourself.”

Maxine found her voice and said “Are you going to respond, Boss?”

“Yes… Yes, I suppose I should.” He thought to himself a moment. Here he was, a washed out Colonel and two-bit space, making First Contact. And his father-in-law said he'd never amount to anything “Maxine, go get Mr. Caz. As he is Alliance maybe he knows something we don’t. Also the secondary shuttle is still all gussied up from that shindig at Ariel. Have Erast get her prepped for a party. And while he’s doing that have Pan set up a crybaby.”

Maxine looked at him quizzically but he didn’t give her a chance to respond before turning his attention back to the vid. It appeared the aliens had reached a lull in their conversation so he chose to interject.

“This is Mathias Veruc, former Alliance Colonel and Captain of Lost Echo. On behalf of myself, my crew, and all humans of the Alliance, I greet you. As you mean no harm and seek allies, so do I. To this end I am willing to arrange for a meeting on a shuttle. We would be willing to host a party from your ship as well as from the others. If these terms are agreeable then we will begin preparations.”

As a side note the Chinese used is authentic and is actually spelled 神聖的睾丸 . It's used on the show once and is far and away one of the most hilarious expletives for anyone who wants to look it up.

Last edited by WaitYAmIHere on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wait... How did I get back here?
WaitYAmIHere
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: An imagination of a figment

Postby Overlord Moo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:45 pm

AWWWWWW, YAMI's back! *Sullenly puts away canister of space-spiders*

"Read 'em and weep boys!" Dirk said, flashing his cards to everyone else at the table. A loud groan arose from the table as the pilot added more chips to the vast pile in front of him.

Urshnak threw his cards in disgust. "This game is stupid! Why is the card with only one thing on it better than the one with the king?"

"That's just how it is."

"Then the King is weak. You should eat him," the Krogan said, nodding his head with self-confirming finality. As Ricardo dealt another hand, a message came across the com.

“This is Mathias Veruc, former Alliance Colonel and Captain of Lost Echo. On behalf of myself, my crew, and all humans of the Alliance, I greet you. As you mean no harm and seek allies, so do I. To this end I am willing to arrange for a meeting on a shuttle. We would be willing to host you’re a party from your ship as well as from the others. If these terms are agreeable then we will begin preparations.”

Ricardo bolted up right in his seat. "Holy shit! These guys are Alliance too. Dirk, get me in communication with them. Maybe we can work something out."

Quintilius made a coughing sound. "Not to play - what's the phrase - Devil's spokesman here, but what if it's a trap. They say they're Alliance, but I've never heard of the 'Lost Echo' before."

"'Lost Echo' doesn't really fit with Alliance naming protocol either, sir," Dirk chimed in.

Ricardo sighed and ran his hands through his hair. "Hmmm. Alright, here's the plan. I'll go over to their summit and see what they want. They invited the other ships too, so maybe we can finally get some answers here. Urshnak," the Krogan looked up at the mention of his name, "You're going with me. I want a strong fighter at my back if this whole thing goes tits up. Jenson," Ricardo continued, speaking into his Omni-tool, "How close are those engines?"

"Almost there sir. Another hour or two and we should be ready to jump."

"Excellent. Quintilius, I need you and Dirk on the guns. And for God's sake, if it comes to blows, wait until after we're off the ship before you start firing. Remember Therum?" Quintilius rubbed the back of his neck; he did indeed.

Turning to the coms, Ricardo said:

"This is Ricardo Lafayette of the SSV Bastogne. We would be honored to attend your meeting. Send us the coordinates, and we will arrive shortly."

6:54 Bert: Moo is so cool he wishes he could be someone else just so he could better understand what it is like to live in a world with Overlord Moo in it
9:46:06 PM GG If Moo goes oh my I know it means bad
<Strant> wig+wonderbra+Strant=Deeno
Overlord Moo
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Stolen Thunder

Postby WaitYAmIHere » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:42 am

AWWWWWW, YAMI's back! *Sullenly puts away canister of space-spiders*

As much as I love the idea of random space spider attacks *shivers* I think I have a suggestion for what to do with disappearing authors: We were all warped here from across different times and dimensions, right? So what's to say a ship couldn't disappear only to reappear later on with its crew having experience no loss of time? that way the ship isn't destroyed but neither is it an obstacle. Thoughts?

Last edited by WaitYAmIHere on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WaitYAmIHere
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby OhJohnNo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:42 am

As it happens, this saturday I am holidaying in France for 2 weeks - I'll have no internet. I was hoping that by this point we'd be far enough in that I'd be able to hand over stewardship of the BW to another guy temporarily, but obviously that didn't happen. Still, I'll make an IC post later today and we'll try and figure out how to handle this next obstacle.

OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby OhJohnNo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:31 pm

OOC
Sorry it took me so long, other stuff came up.

IC
Hello again. We would love to help in any way we can. In fact, we believe that a misaligned star chart might be what brought us here. Perhaps you could help us in that regard. We will transmit our star chart database to you right away. And again, we thank you for your assistance.

"Sir, they've sent us their star charts..." said Vral, confused. "They... don't even slightly resemble anything in the Tau empire."

Theory proven. thought Ver'ya, comfortably.

"Sir, another message - this one from the ship without an FTL drive." came Vral's voice again.

This is Mathias Veruc, former Alliance Colonel and Captain of Lost Echo. On behalf of myself, my crew, and all humans of the Alliance, I greet you. As you mean no harm and seek allies, so do I. To this end I am willing to arrange for a meeting on a shuttle. We would be willing to host a party from your ship as well as from the others. If these terms are agreeable then we will begin preparations.

"Did you hear that, sir?" said Vral. "Humans. It's confirmed."

"Indeed I did." responded Ver'ya, triumphantly - more and more proof of his working theory was coming in. "Respond to them with this message:

"Captain Veruc, we shall consider your request - as you can probably understand, we are wary of putting ourselves so physically close to a newly discovered contact. We may send drones on our behalf and talk through them."

All different configurations, yet they all speak the same language. he mused. Some Earth Caste scientists had theorised about the possibility of multiple separate universes existing - it was looking ever more like, somehow, multiple of them had overlapped.

If I pull this off, he thought, the benefits to the Tau Empire will be unprecedented. On the other hand, if I fail, an inter-dimensional war could be the result.

OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby WaitYAmIHere » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:33 pm

"This is Ricardo Lafayette of the SSV Bastogne. We would be honored to attend your meeting. Send us the coordinates, and we will arrive shortly."

"Captain Veruc, we shall consider your request - as you can probably understand, we are wary of putting ourselves so physically close to a newly discovered contact. We may send drones on our behalf and talk through them."

“Captain, we got a RSVP from the sleek looking ship and a maybe from the big alien one.” Amirah called out.

“Thank you, Amirah. Keep me posted.” Matthias turned back to the group in front of him. “So we are agreed then? Mr. Caz, Justin, and I will go to the summit on Beta shuttle, with Wren hidden nearby, just in case. Erin will be on Alpha shuttle with Mr. Ts’ui, his guard, Mr. Caz’s wife and daughter, Emily, and the good Doctor. Erast and everyone else will keep Lost Echo running and provide cover if
necessary.”
There was a small round of agreement before he dismissed everyone to collect their belongings or prepare for the summit. He turned and made his way back up to Amirah with Maxine tailing behind.

“Have you figured out where we are yet, Amirah?”

She turned to him, eyes wide, “I can’t make sense of the stars, Boss. They don’t match any patterns recorded. They don’t even match theoretical patterns. I don’t think were anywhere near home.”

A lifetime of training kept Matthias from sounded worried but nothing could keep his face from paling at the news, “Just work on locating a planet then. Make sure Alpha shuttle has some place to run to. We can worry about getting home after all this is over.”

Matthias turned to Maxine, who looked a little queasy at the news, “Maxine, is the crybaby set up?”

“Yes, Colonel…er, Boss.” She grimaced at the slip, a clear sign of how nervous she was.

“It’ll be ok Max. I got us out of Shadow, I can get us out of this.”

“This is a little bit different from shadow, Boss.”

“You’re right! No one’s shooting at us this time. That makes the whole situation better in my book.” He said as the pair left to oversee the civilian preparations.

“Wren squirreled away on Beta shuttle yet?”

“Should be, Boss. Just don’t ask me to point him out to you.”

Matthias grinned. Wren’s skills more than made up for any annoyance he caused.

“Just tell him to play it safe. We don’t know what sense these aliens have. They also said something about a drone which might pick him up if he’s not careful. Don’t want anyone to know we have an ace in the hole after all.”

WaitYAmIHere
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Strant » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:48 pm

OOC: YAY YAMI SAVED US!

OC:

"We thank you for your offer, but I am afraid I cannot risk boarding your ship - we have, after all, only just met. The other ships are not ours, and we are unsure of their status. "

As i suspected then. Slade thought. As he got ready to send back a message suddenly another message arrived.

“This is Mathias Veruc, former Alliance Colonel and Captain of Lost Echo. On behalf of myself, my crew, and all humans of the Alliance, I greet you. As you mean no harm and seek allies, so do I. To this end I am willing to arrange for a meeting on a shuttle. We would be willing to host a party from your ship as well as from the others. If these terms are agreeable then we will begin preparations.”

Slade sighed. "They can't even send their communications to one ship at a time, this is pretty low level tech." Slade said out loud. Slade decided to open communication to all ships. "Kozar, open up communication with all of the ships, they do not belong in the same alliance!" Slade shouted into the engine room. "Yes, consider it done." Kozar said from the engine room. Slade started speaking.

"I am Slade captain for The Osprey under the federation, the federation means no harm and wishes for peace but we are not afraid to defend ourselves if the need arises . It seems like we have a lot to talk about, and i would think that a meeting in person would be great. I can come unarmed if that makes you feel safer."

And with that he closed communications and hoped for the best.

Last edited by Strant on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__

Strant
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby WaitYAmIHere » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:29 am

Matthias Veruc settled himself into the pilot seat of Beta shuttle. Mr. Caz and Justin strapped in behind him while Wren hid somewhere on board.

“Check complete, systems go, we good Max?”

“Aye, Boss. We also got one more RSVP. This one’s from the boxier triangular ship. Patching it through.”

"I am Slade captain for The Osprey under the federation, the federation means no harm and wishes for peace but we are not afraid to defend ourselves if the need arises . It seems like we have a lot to talk about, and i would think that a meeting in person would be great. I can come unarmed if that makes you feel safer."

“Federation? I’ve never heard of any Federation. Was there a vid attached, Max?”
“No sir. Think these are aliens too?”

“Don’t know. Better assume so. Before we leave broadcast one last message for me.”

“Ready when you are boss.”

“This is Captain Veruc. I appreciate your responses. We will be meeting at the coordinates provided in approximately one hour. If you other ships decide to join the fun after that just let us know. I understand that this is a tense situation for all of us and so will not require anyone to be unarmed. I would just ask that all weapons be holstered and visible. Also, it would be appreciated, if we could limit ourselves to two or three members per party to save on space. I am also sending a readout of the shuttles atmospheric pressure, molecular make up, and gravity. If there are any special needs in this regard, please let me know. I look forward to meeting with you all soon.”

“Message is away, Boss.”

“Thank you, Max. Erin, Emily, and the civies good to go on Alpha?”

“Erin says they can bolt in ten seconds if things go sideways.”

“Alright then drop us in ten. Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Five. Four. Three. Two. And go.” There was a lurch as the shuttle dropped from its hangar. Matthias smoothed the Beta out and set course for the summits coordinates.

I made myself wait a whole 24 hours before posting this. If anyone joining the game for the first time or who hasn't responded yet, THAT"S OK. Just ask and we'll let you in.

WaitYAmIHere
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby OhJohnNo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:09 pm

Aight, I think we're just gonna have to pause the game while I go. We waited while Yami was gone, presumably we can manage another two weeks?

OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Overlord Moo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Alright, no plot advancements for a while. Are non-plot related pieces ok (like little character interactions on the ship)?

6:54 Bert: Moo is so cool he wishes he could be someone else just so he could better understand what it is like to live in a world with Overlord Moo in it
9:46:06 PM GG If Moo goes oh my I know it means bad
<Strant> wig+wonderbra+Strant=Deeno
Overlord Moo
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Stolen Thunder

Previous