[Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: [Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

Postby Kivutar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:40 am

Dewang cautiously meets Wenchang's eyes and is relieved to see, at least, no open hatred.

"Only to the library," he says.

Wenchang had looked for him? Had wanted to see him? Dewang had been too ashamed to face him after that night in the camp. Even if Wenchang had only been looking for him to reproach him further, Dewang was grateful. At least his friend - if he dares call him a friend - has not entirely given him up.

He pauses for a moment, not knowing what to do next. You are too good, he wants to say, and another, more insidious part of him whispers don't speak to me, don't look for me, go live the life that you deserve, but he shuts that down with a desperate effort of will.

"Did you need me for anything?" he finally asks.

Ancestors. That was the worst of all.

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:52 am

"Not really, I suppose," Wenchang pauses. "You seemed out of sorts in the morning. It is good that you have recovered."

So Dewang was offended. Wenchang is slightly disappointed but does not regret speaking his mind. He could never take back his words. He focuses on the food for the rest of the meal, only looking up when the Governor or the General or someone else speaks aloud to the gathering.

closed off now, I hope :P {{{Kiv}}} no worries

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sun May 20, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Scarik » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:36 am

Dinner itself is a simple affair with little chance to discuss anything with the nearby others. Zhang Fei continues to grumble while practically inhaling his rice and an entire platter of roasted goat. In contrast Liu Bei remains gracious and polite.

After several courses the governor dismisses everyone for the night with a command to appear in the audience chamber at mid-morning to discuss strategy in an open forum.

The Bingzhou officers return to their luxury accommodations while Liu Bei and his two companions head to the outer palace where their less impressive rooms lay.

At some point Zhang Fei separates from his brothers and wanders the grounds with a bottle of baijiu in his hand until he comes to the library where he sees Mao Xu and calls out in his thundering voice,

"You there, I recognize you! What is the meaning of this insult to Colonel Liu!"

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:44 pm

Baozi freezes. It is some moments before he can do anything but stare, wide-eyed with alarm.

"I... am sorry," he manages to say, almost in a whisper. What is Zhang Fei doing in the library, of all places? Has he sought Baozi out in order to berate him? How can he answer?

"I am most sorry," he repeats, "and I bear Colonel Liu no ill will, but if Governor Liu has his reasons for..."

For not believing the Colonel's claim of Imperial descent, and taking it as an affront to his own near relationship to the Imperial line. But surely saying so much would enrage the man further.

"...for not holding him in favour, then it is not the place of a humble secretary to disagree with his master."

Though privately he can't help but be inclined to like Liu Bei somewhat. He cannot possibly know better than Governor Liu what is the right in the matter of his ancestry, but the Colonel is always calm and dignified and, well, would not be found bursting into a quiet library, half drunk, to shout at someone who was not to blame for what had angered him. Zhang surely does not think that he had any choice in where he was seated at dinner? Even if he could be so disloyal as to speak against his master, Baozi does not imagine that would improve the Governor's treatment of Liu Bei one bit.

"I am sorry," he says for a third time. He is not sure what else to say. He would almost rather Zhang Fei had struck him than accosted him like this. It is an attractive idea to simply flee, but that would be rude, and the man is a guest in the palace in spite of all, so Baozi just stands there, feeling helpless and slightly desperate, waiting for his antagonist to have done with him.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Kivutar » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:49 am

Dewang, unable to sleep as usual, makes his way to the library that night. To his surprise, he hears raised voices - or rather, one raised voice - and as he enters he sees the ill-mannered man from dinner browbeating the timid secretary.

That won't do at all. Dewang steps foward and addresses the loudmouth icily.

"I'm very sorry to interrupt," he says, "But I need this man's assistance urgently."

He takes Baozi by the elbow and leads him off without looking back.

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:34 am

The big man sputters after them but it is difficult to make out what he says with the intervening walls and shelves despite the enormous volume.

As the two scholars exit they pass a courtier who looks at them and then toward the bellowing and bows as he passes, "My apologies, please do not be offended, Colonel Liu will send his regards about this shameful affair," and then he rushes into the library where what he says next is lost by the bellow of Zhang Fei Yide.

"Xianhe!" He says, "This is unacceptable! I'll not allow..."

And at that point the booming voice of Zhang Fei trails off as Jian Yong interrupts his tirade.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:30 am

While this is going on, Junyou is back in his own chamber, cradled in the sweet embrace of sleep.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:24 pm

Baozi, much relieved, follows De Wang. He is too flustered to respond to the courtier's apology immediately, and in another moment he has hurried in one direction and they in another, and it is too late.

Once the two are out of earshot from the library, he recovers his composure a little. "I am very glad to see you, De Wang," he says. "What is it I can help you with?"

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:39 am

Dewang looks at Baozi and feels a little foolish.

"Nothing," he says. "I only thought you might want an excuse to get away from that man. Who does he think he is?"

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:13 am

"Oh." Baozi is taken aback for a moment. "Then I am indebted to you for your kindness. It was a most uncomfortable situation."

He recalls De Wang's question at dinner, and goes on, "He is one of Colonel Liu's - that is the man I pointed out to you - one of his closest friends. They are sworn brothers, indeed: the one who sat next to me as well. I am sorry that I didn't answer you properly at dinner, but I was afraid they might notice. I would not have wanted to offend them further." He goes on to explain about Liu Bei and the Governor's disagreement with him, culminating in Zhang Fei's outburst.

"I am afraid I must beg you to excuse me. After all of this, I am very tired." He bids his rescuer good night, thanking him profusely, and returns to his apartment.

He hadn't lied to De Wang: he is tired, but rather in mind than body and he doesn't feel sleepy yet, only in need of being alone. In fact, a little exercise, without anyone taking notice of him, would be very pleasant.

He draws the window screen a few inches ajar, then kneels down: not from piety so much as for the practical purpose of having all four limbs on the floor. In that position, he begins a ritual of prayer and meditation. A few minutes later, a small brown tabby cat hops onto the window sill from inside the room, balances for a moment, and goes out into the night.

Baozi the cat pads around the grounds of the Governor's Palace with his tail high: he belongs here, more so as a cat than as a man, for although he is not a large or particularly strong tomcat, he is quick and agile and wholly without fear. He knows the tricks of fighting with claws and teeth as well as he does with the jian as a human. He has a strategist's intelligence too, in a corner of his mind that remains separate from the cat. In the half year that he has been here he has made this part of the city his territory and he walks where he will.

As he wanders he is alert. The cat, for other cats, dogs, prey, for intriguing smells and the faintest of sounds. The human part of him is more interested in watching for any people who may be about, and what they might be doing, or saying. He does not consider it spying, as he does not intend to use the information against anyone, but if someone should say in front of a cat what they might not say in front of Baozi, he is happy to indulge his curiosity.

He drops into a crouch as he enters a garden and hears the rustling of a small animal amongst the plants, with his keen cat's ears. He moves slowly, as silent as the night on his velveted paws, tail twitching behind him as he stalks the mouse. He can smell it - he is downwind, as he should be, though the breeze is slight. He is close enough. It has not heard or seen him. He crouches still lower, and steels himself for the final leap.

He springs. His quarry startles. It bolts with scarcely a heartbeat's delay. The tip of its tail whips between his forepaws as he lands. The cat chatters in annoyance. The part of his mind that remains fully Baozi is pleased that it got away: he has a full belly, and although the part of him that thinks as a cat delights in hunting and he has often killed, even eaten his prey in this form, he does not, as himself, relish the taking of such a harmless life for sport.

Eventually, he makes his way back to his apartment. Inside, the little cat sits for a minute, its tail curled neatly around it, and then the young man is kneeling on the floor again. He shuts the window, and makes ready to sleep at last.

Last edited by CarrieVS on Wed May 23, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 pm

Morning comes to Jicheng and the palace is boiling with activity. One hundred officers and officials all with the same two hours to bathe, eat and dress has the servants sprinting from place to place to keep up.

When they all arrive they fill in from the back, lowest ranking first. In this case that is the clerks and scribes as there are no lieutenants in attendance as matters of high strategy are considered beyond their duties. Next comes the captains and administrators and then the colonels, city ministers and magistrates.

The last person to take his seat among them is General Gongsun Zan, the Prefect of Bei Ping.

Once all are seated and waiting, a process which has taken the better part of the hour, Governor Liu Yan enters along with General Lu Bu and his secretary Mao Xu followed by several attendants. Lu Bu takes the seat normally reserved for the chief minister and then Liu Yan sits on the throne facing his advisers. The curtains are pulled aside so that he has a clear view but as is his prerogative as Marquis of Yangcheng, and an Imperial Uncle, Liu Yan wears a beaded veil on his peaked cap whose hanging lines gently click whenever he turns his head.

With the governor seated an attendant rings a small gong to bring the room to order.

The governor stands and raises his arms while facing the throne, "In the name of His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Ling of Han, Father or Our People and Protector of the Middle Kingdom by the Mandate of Heaven, his humble servant Liu Yan convenes this council."

By the end of the invocation he has fallen to his knees and bowed to the empty throne. As soon as he began all the officials knelt and bowed, remaining that way throughout. When finished Liu Yan rises and retakes the throne while the advisers straighten up and remain on their knees upon their cushions as they had been before.

"I have received word that Minister Lu Zhi has been dispatched from the Capital to Ye where he will take command of the Army there with forces from Jizhou, Governor Ding's Bingzhou army and 10,000 troops from the Central Provinces. When his army is ready they will attack east to Ping Yuan."

There are many nods and murmurs of agreement as everyone present knows the geography and of the famous military strategist, Lu Zhi.

"There is no doubt that our Youzhou army must go south to attack Nan Pi and that we must take it in order for any invasion of Ping Yuan to succeed. It will be another two months as all know before the Hu Tuo river can be crossed by ford so it is the duty of this council to debate how to proceed until then."

"Proceed," he says with a wave of his hand and the attendants and officers immediately begin to discuss scenarios and options among themselves. To do this freely men stand up and then move about the room to find like minded people and to argue with critics. Factions start to form quickly and several plans are already favored.

First: To stay in Jicheng and drill the troops while recruiting more throughout spring.

Second: Sending a detachment to seize the fords now by boat.

Third: To cross the river in small bands and harass the rebels where they are found.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:06 pm

Baozi keeps his eyes downcast as he follows Governor Liu into the crowded chamber. He knows everyone's watching the Governor, and not him, but is still relieved when they are in their places and he can withdraw into the background.

Once the floor is opened for discussion, he knows his part and goes around the room, quietly. Governor Liu will want to know what is being said and who agrees with which faction. He watches and listens to the discussions, joining and leaving groups as unobtrusively as he can. When he sees De Wang, whom he already ventures to think of as his friend, he smiles warmly, though when he finds himself listening to a group that includes Zhang Fei, he daren't say a word, and looks at the floor to avoid the risk of meeting that gentleman's eyes.

He does not venture to give his opinions unless directly asked. Naturally, though, he forms his own views on the different ideas. He has some knowledge of military strategy, although he has never seen a battle.

It is no surprise that General Lu wishes to skirmish and harry the rebels. Baozi is not certain how profitable that would be. They would kill some rebel soldiers, certainly, but it is unlikely it could be done without losses, and when all's said and done may make little difference except to satisfy the General's appetite for fighting.

Baozi is more impressed by the plan advocated by General Gongsun, if it was done at the right moment, before the fords became usable or the rebels established control there, but not so far in advance that the detachment sent to take them was left exposed for too long. Taking Nan Pi is the important thing and if the Youzhou army have to fight for the crossing it could delay or weaken them before they reach it. A bold move to prevent that seems no foolish idea.

Still, there is much good sense in staying put to strengthen the army, until it is possible to cross the fords, as Governor Liu contends. Though it seems to Baozi that recruits could still be brought in, and a large part of the army trained and improved, while either - or both - of the other plans are carried out by picked forces. He would at least try to hold the fords, he thinks to himself.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:04 am

Dewang listens to the debates around him, sighing inwardly at the proponents of raiding.

What would that achieve? They would still have to face the main army at some point, and raids would make their enemies more vigilant without gaining their side any material advantage. Better to be patient and gather more troops, readying themselves for a swift and decisive blow. Failing that, they could attack in force now, before the Yellow Scarves would be expecting them.

However, Dewang thinks, he is not a soldier and perhaps he has missed something. He tries to pick up Wenchang's voice in the hubbub (not that that is a difficult task), resolving that he will support whatever plan his friend suggests.

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:57 am

Wenchang listens to the arguments in the room as well as he can, though he's more of a soldier than a strategist. He gives his honest opinion when the others are done. "The troops could use some vigorous drilling, but if taking the fords now is that vital, I will not sit back and let the others go without offering my blade and those of my men"

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Scarik » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:15 am

As the session drags on it becomes clear before it is halfway over that there is no consensus and no amount of time will forge one. At mid day servants bring food and refreshment so that the debate can continue. At mid afternoon there is a break for tea where wives and courtesans are welcomed into the court chamber to perform the tea ceremony.

And so it goes on until it is time for the evening meal when the Governor dismisses everyone for the night with orders to return in the morning to hear his decision.

That said Liu Yan immediately departs the room.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

PreviousNext