[Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: [Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:46 am

Baozi studies the map and keeps his silence while he thinks. Of course, it is now his job to give his opinions and he will have to get used to it, but he wants to see what attitude the others take, before he speaks.

Wenchang is right, in his opinion, to suggest making one unit of the cavalry even though this makes one small company and the rest very large. There are not enough of them to split up and horsemen ought not be burdened with foot soldiers. But he does not quite agree about the disposition of the foot.

"I agree with Captain Wenchang," he says, still looking at the map rather than meeting anyone's eyes, "in making three companies of our foot soldiers and one of the horse. But I would prefer to see each of the three being two hundred spears supported by one third of the archers."

Infantry, unsupported, are helpless against a rain of arrows, and archers, unguarded, may be vulnerable to ambush or to an enemy with the numbers and boldness to endure the missiles and close with them. Were the bows to be separated from the spears, the three companies could not act independently of one another without exposing themselves to such risks.

Of course Colonel Liu's thousand men are only a third part of the army under General Zou, and in a battle might be expected to act as one unit. But they are still too many to march all together, and being in the van they must guard against ambush, especially amongst the hills and woods through which they will be travelling. Besides, the smaller units will be more manoeuvrable, an advantage they must make the most of as they are likely to be greatly outnumbered by the rebels.

"I think the mixed companies will be better able to manoeuvre separately, and so to make the most of the terrain, where one large force might be at a disadvantage.

"As for administrators, I know of some men who would be suitable, and may be willing: I can make a list of names. I also second the recommendation of De Wang for Quartermaster, if he is willing: I have not known him long, but he was so kind as to assist me in a certain matter recently, so I can attest to his capability."

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Scarik » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Liu Bei considers Baozi's plan and nods, "I had not considered that, but I have the utmost faith in my brothers to handle such combined units separately and Wenchang is known to be a skilled leader of horsemen. It is settled then, when we march Yunchang will lead our own vanguard and Yide will form the rear. Wenchang will move with my company in the main camp in reserve in case of ambush."

With that decided the Colonel turns his attention to the recommendations and after he and Xianhe find no objectional people he entrusts Baozi with the task of writing to them of the offer. As his most trusted emissary he sends Xianhe to go and recruit Du Zhiteng Dewang.

For Baozi writing letters is second nature but it is not the normal activity of a military adviser. In a way he feels like a secretary still though that is Xianhe's title. He is of course working closely with the Colonel so it is not an insult by any means, but until he shows how effective his strategies are it is still a demotion in prestige.

Later that day Dewang receives a visitor, "Mister Du," he says, "I am Jian Yong Xianhe, modest servant of Colonel Liu Bei. Would you care to join me for a drink and to discuss an opportunity with the Colonel's battalion?"

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:52 pm

Dewang is surprised to see Jian Yong, whom he knows only by sight. Still, the man seems friendly enough, and "opportunity" sounds promising. At any rate, Liu Bei could hardly be a worse commander than Lu Bu.

He accepts the invitation immediately.

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Scarik » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:02 am

"Excellent!" Xianhe says before leading Dewang to a nearby gambling parlor. The wine is surprisingly good for such a place and they have dim sum from a nearby tea house run by the proprietor's aunt.

"May I call you Dewang? I am Colonel Liu's emissary but still uncomfortable with formality. My offer is simple, the Colonel needs a quartermaster and currently you are simply minding the clerks for General Lu's force. Certainly it is less prestigious to serve my lord than a General, but we are marching to battle in a week while no one knows when the Bingzhou infantry will see combat."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:14 am

It doesn't take Dewang long to think about the offer. "Minding the clerks" is exactly as dull as Xianhe imagines, and he aches to get away from this city.

"That is a very tempting offer," he says. "But tell me one thing: how did my name come to Colonel Liu's attention?"

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:07 am

"You were recommended by Captain Wei Yan and by Secretary Mao Xu."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:17 am

Dewang carefully avoids showing any surprise. Baozi, that makes sense, although he does not yet know the man well. But Wenchang? Perhaps -

He cuts that thought off at once and smiles carefully. "In that case, I am in their debt."

Dewang takes another mouthful and finishes his cup of wine.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:25 am

"Excellent, then let us toast to our future!"

Jian Yong knows that Dewang has not answered firmly of course, but that's no reason not to drink to their success regardless.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:03 am

"To our future," Dewang agrees, and drinks again. It may not be wise to drink too much...

He begins to polish off the dim sum instead. "I must commend your choice - the food is really quite good."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:47 pm

"I agree, its the finest in the city if you can believe it. The proprietor's aunt is a wealthy madame and whatever is in excess is given half here for the patrons and half taken apart for stews for the poor."

Xianhe does not merely enjoy the food and the company though, he is also a skilled gambler. At least he is when he is not the one throwing the dice. His own throws are average but his side-bets show remarkable cunning and insight.

"These gentlemen," he says solely for Dewang to hear with a grin, "have an excess of silver due to their distasteful professions. They are well-connected so they must be tolerated, but no where is it written that they must be allowed to retain their profits."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:31 am

Dewang looks back at Jian Yong and smiles slowly.

"I have a feeling that your luck will be good tonight."

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:02 am

Xianhe's luck is indeed good though not particularly when he is rolling the dice himself. In those cases he wins as much as he loses, but when betting on the rolls of others he steadily increases his collection of copper coins and notes. By the end of the night he is up several taels of silver and yet no one has taken a dislike toward him.

They leave to their own quarters late a night to recover from the strength of the wine and come morning they return, or perhaps report, to their waiting duties.

The last few days before Zou Jing's detachment heads south are if anything even more frenetic than those leading up to it. It is imperative to keep their timetable and so on that morning when the Sun rises over the coastal mountains 3000 soldiers with 500 horses, 300 asses and 200 oxen march south toward Dongyuan.

Their pace is swift for the first four days through the rolling hills along the road where the Jizhou Army is in total control. On the fifth day they make camp at Xiadu, once the largest city in the world, but 500 years later it is but a fortified shell. Scholars say it had 300,000 people when it was the last capital of the Kingdom of Yan, but now it has only 5000 living at the base of the mountain within its ancient ramparts.

General Zou sets up the army within the sprawling bowl formed by the old earthworks and then sends out scouts and riders while the army rests and waits for its supplies to catch up.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:09 am

In spite of all the work to do, Baozi finds enough free time to send a letter to his family, telling them of his new post, and that he will be leaving Ji very soon. He also finds a little time to spare for practising his swordwork - though he manages to avoid any more exhibitions. It's not as though he intends to fight - though he would not be afraid to, he is confident - but he will be with the army and involved in a battle in some fashion, and it seems fitting somehow.

Once they are on the march, everything is new and exciting, but it is also exhausting. It's not just the travel, it's the crowd. It is not even a large army, but three thousand soldiers, and all their beasts and baggage and followers, all on the move together, makes for a great deal of noise and bustle. Even once they reach Xiadu, where the army will rest, and make camp inside the great near-ruined city, there is little peace or privacy.

Fortunately, Baozi has the gift of disappearing in plain sight. Once he is freed from duties for the time being, he withdraws to his tent where he can spend at least a short while uninterrupted. A few minutes later, the little brown tabby cat slips out and trots away.

He carries his tail low: he does not belong here; there will be other cats, and they will not know him. He's not afraid, but he is watchful and wary as he explores this new place.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Kivutar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:37 am

When evening falls, Dewang wanders out among the old buildings. It is not quite dark in the sky, but the city is a forest of shadows broken here and there by small pinpricks of light. He sees few people, although stray cats and dogs, quite wild, cross his path frequently. The place is certainly haunted.

He is at a loss. The children are with the army, all two hundred of them, the ones old enough being put to whatever work there is for them. The very ones - now that is a situation. He has been paying some of the camp followers to mind them. When he has time, he makes some attempt at lessons. Most of the children have no ability to read at all. He tries.

This is not a situation that can last. He will have to form some better plans soon, and he racks his brains. Baozi had been sympathetic, but was quite busy and not well-suited to be a teacher. I am not either, he thinks, but that is neither here nor there. There is no one else he can turn to, here.

He sees a light in the window of a large house ahead, but as he approaches it goes out. When he walks past, he sees that the front gate has fallen in, and the house is a wreck. Either ghosts or thieves, then. He shrugs and continues, then stops and thinks.

This is an ancient city, where ancient rulers and scholars had lived. Doubtless many of them still linger, watching the few living people who still walk through the empty streets. The knowledge these old ghosts must have...

Dewang hurries back to the camp, gathers wine, coins, and a few other supplies, and heads for the tombs. It seems foolish, even as he runs, but it is a chance. Why not ask the wise rulers of old for advice?

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:44 am

Kivutar wrote:De Wang hurries back to the camp, gathers wine, coins, and a few other supplies, and heads for the tombs. It seems foolish, even as he runs, but it is a chance. Why not ask the wise rulers of old for advice?

With his paraphernalia set out before him he kneels before the shrine at the entrance to the barrow. He lights incense and places it in the sconce, then hangs a string of coins below it before pouring the wine into the offering bowl. He prays and with ink and brush forms the words and then burns them so that they may cross over into the realm of the ancestors.

Instantly a warm wind rustles as if a the crypt door has opened. The incense stick flares and its smoke blows outward toward Dewang. And had he been disrespectful enough to raise his eyes he would see the copper coins turn green and crumble away and the wine evaporate leaving s light stain in the bowl.

A voice he did not expect then speaks to him,

"Visitors are rare here," she says softly, "and ones with such fine offerings rarer still."

He feels her approach and then she kneels down in front of him. She wears a fine gown fit for a royal wife and the jewels in her hair must have been worth a hundred ounces of gold. Her hands are folded in her long sleeves and her costume is of course white as the dead often are though Dewang can see the memory of the color in her garments. Her hair is darker than night and her eyes glimmer in the dusk.

"Tell me, priest, why have you come to this sad place?"

CarrieVS wrote:He carries his tail low: he does not belong here; there will be other cats, and they will not know him. He's not afraid, but he is watchful and wary as he explores this new place.

There are indeed other cats, as well as dogs, foxes and at least one raccoon-dog that he sees lurking in a tangle of brush. Several other cats watch him warily as he passes, one spotted grey turns and flees.

One does just the opposite though. He makes no attempt at stealth or to avoid conflict, rather, he advances with a low growl. He is lean and long and missing a bit of his left ear and with his cat's vision he can see it its golden brown fur and tabby stripes.

The language cats use among themselves is simple compared to that which they use for humans,

"Leave," he commands with a growl.

Last edited by Scarik on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

PreviousNext