[Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: [Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:40 am

"That... could work." Filth and foul things can indeed disrupt magic, Baozi knows from the books he has read. "If we could gather enough... materials in time." He hesitates, "But can we tell... I mean after... you know?" No, he knows Dewang's answer before he can find the words to finish the question. Of course they must tell their superiors, and make certain they know of this. It would be wrong not to, and foolish. "I mean.. never mind. I'm sorry." He follows Dewang.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:13 am

When Dewang seeks him out after meeting with the Colonel Wenchang is in the middle of getting the troops up and running. He raises an eyebrow but doesn't press the point, trusting to his friends' knowledge. "Well, we need all the help we can get. Bring over the oxen from the caravan!"

The tub bring brought out by the soldiers, Wenchang walks over and cuts his non-weapon hand over it, and then leaving Boxiao to supervise the slaughter, makes ready for WAR /o/ you know, the more fun part

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Scarik » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:52 pm

Seeing Colonel Liu is difficult as he is tasked with assessing the damage of one section of the fortifications and of course is still publicly distancing himself from Baozi, Dewang and Wenchang.

Jian Yong of course has no care for who he is seen with and is happy to hear their idea.

"A barrage of filth, you say?" Xianhe asks, "I've never heard of such a thing being done, it may be difficult to convince him. Wait here and I will report this for you."

He departs and tells Liu Bei about the idea. As expected the Colonel isn't sure but Guan Yu is nearby and when he hears he goes, "Of course, just as how the First Emperor subdued the Wudang Mountain Witches. But he had the resources of Chang-an and Luoyang commanderies against a weaker force while we have only our own provisions vs a superior one."

They nod gravely when Zhang Fei comes to them to see why they are all together when there is work to do.

"Finally, something proactive, let's just break a gap and pour through like the storm did to my house last night!" he laughs then frowns, "Where's that shrinking strategist been at? He can figure out a way to do it."

Rather than trying to explain things to his brother Liu Bei just sighs. "I will take this to the governor and he will decide."

So he goes with Jian Yong to make his report and convey the suggestion. When he is done explaining both it and its historical uses the Governor answers,

"Many catapults have been damaged and without them our lines are weak. If we move enough to one location and this stratagem fails then we will have nothing and we will be routed certainly. While if we deploy this countermagic defensively we will simply await our end against their numbers."

Liu Bei repeats his arguments and Lu Bu joins to favor some offense but neither move the governor.

"Enough, let's here this plan from the originators. Bring them here at once."

Jian Yong is dispatched to collect the three officers and returns along with them in half an hour.

Ding Yuan, upon hearing their introductions, shakes his head. "Ah, these three. If this plan of yours is sound then you return to normal duty." Lu Bu seems about to protest but the Governor cuts him off, "I am done with this entire charade. We need all skilled officers to defeat this rebellion so I hearby pardon Wei Yan, Du Zhiteng, Mao Xun and Liang Ju, as well as their subordinates involved in this affair."

That satisfies Lu Bu and he turns his attention to the plan.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Boazi cannot quite look at Liu Bei. Being ordered by Governor Ding to resume their old position - if they win this battle - is not the same as being forgiven.

The Governor and the other high officers are waiting for an answer. He glances at his friends, and Wenchang and Dewang - although this is his idea! - are looking to him also. Well that is not so unfair, it is - was - will be - maybe - his job and not theirs.

Baozi swallows, or more precisely gulps. But he manages to find his tongue. "I think we must use this idea to counter the enemy's magic, if we are to stand a chance. And if we are going to, the very first thing we should do, even if we are still planning precisely how to make use of it, is order someone to begin collecting, um the necessary, um, substances. There is not much time and we will need as much as we can get."

Wenchang immediately volunteers to oversee this endeavour, saying that "I agree with whatever plan Baozi comes up with, I can be more use elsewhere."

That of course is the easy part. "I think we are in quite a bad position, after the storm. We cannot beat them by defending our lines - we would have to spend too many lives to make up for the weaknesses in the fortifications, and it would come down to numbers.

"We cannot use defences or soldiers we don't have, so we must make the best use of what we do. We are much stronger than them in cavalry." Baozi glances at General Lu, and then looks away again. "Horsemen are not so effective behind walls, so we should attack. As fast and as hard as we can, using the catapults we have left to stop them from destroying our charge with magic." That will not be particularly pleasant for those riding beneath a rain of night soil and cattle entrails, but nor would being exposed to the full power of the rebel leaders' sorcery.

"If the cavalry can strike at the serpent's head, and take out the leaders of the rebellion, we may win the day. If they do not, we will surely be broken. But unless we can hope for the situation to change soon, that will only mean a quicker death than if we don't make the attempt."

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:07 pm

Baozi is quite right, but everything depends on the few remaining catapults. Dewang might be able to hold off Zhang Jue's magic, at least for a little time. Probably not for long, but what choice does he have? He clears his throat.

"I will defend the catapults from the enemy's magic, as long as I am able," he adds.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Scarik » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:11 pm

There is some discussion after Baozi is finished and Ding Yuan interrogates everyone present on his past strategies and on Dewang's claim of protecting the catapults. When he is satisfied he stands up and brandishes his sword of office.

"Let today be the day that we throw the rebels into the river and turn it from Yellow to Red!"

There is a great cheer in the hall and then the governor assigns his officers.

"Colonel Liu will lead the vanguard of the assault with 1000 cavalry and draw the enemy's magic with his attack armed with firebombs and countermagic to protect themselves until the catapults can disrupt the spell. When that happens General Lu will charge into the enemy line with 2000 cavalry and breakthrough toward the rebel general. I will follow behind with 2000 cavalry to secure the break and Colonel Liu will follow."

"Colonel's Wei Xu and Song Xian will attack the flanks of the army and Colonel Hou Chen will hold the line to protect the catapults and prevent the cavalry from being encircled."

With major assignments given the council is dismissed to prepare.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:06 am

Dewang and Baozi are assigned to the catapults where they quickly get workers and engineers salvaging as many as they can.

The traction devices are badly beaten though the very heaviest ones are still operations. Of the lesser machines at least half are completely destroyed and a quarter in need of repair. The light catapults (called whirlwinds) are both very damaged and very easy to repair since they are essentially just poles with ropes attached to a lever.

Its up to Baozi how best to allocate resources. The traction catapults can hurl much larger payloads into dense formations while the whirlwinds can only throw as much as man but can do so very accurately up to half a li.

Wenchang finds himself back alongside Liu Bei and in command of 200 cavalry. He will be the point of the spear with Liu Bei following behind and Zhang Fei and Guan Yu to either side.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:31 pm

Baozi orders the engineers to leave the larger traction catapults. They have the two biggest in any case, and the smaller ones can loose faster and require less men to operate. As they're not trying to batter down walls or crush men with rocks, keeping up a constant barrage will matter more than hurling heavier missiles.

He assigns a third of them to repairing the whirlwinds, which should still see them end up with more of the light machines as they're so much easier to rebuild. But the small traction catapults can throw a lot more in the same time with less manpower to operate, so the more of those they can get working, the better.

The men set to work eagerly, having tasted the enemy's sorcery already and keen to do their best to avoid suffering it again, and Baozi turns his attention to the ammunition.

An army this size produces tons of night soil every day, and recently filled latrines and waste pits are being uncovered. Perhaps it will be especially effective for having rotted a while - it certainly smells worse. Add to that the oxen: their excrement is good, fertile stuff, but their entrails are a different matter and some of them are already being slaughtered, beginning with those lamed or broken-winded by the forced march.

But it is not simply a matter of gathering enough filth. They can fill pots, but those will be needed by the attacking force, to carry with them and throw if they're faced with magic. Bundles of cloth or straw will do for the smaller engines, with stones in the middle for weight so they will fly true, and soaked in the stuff. The bladders of the oxen can be set aside and filled up, too - they should burst on impact. For the biggest catapults, blankets is the best answer he comes up with. Soaked, and then wrapped around the large rocks that are their usual ammunition, but not tied. If all goes well they will unwind as the stones tumble in the air.

All these things being set in motion, for a little while nothing needs his immediate attention. He looks out in the direction he expects the rebels to come from, and tries to work out how it will happen and what they can do to try and survive this.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:42 am

As predicted the rebels are already filing out from their camps by the time the morning dew has dried and it is a terrifying sight. In blocks of infantry as much as ten deep marching their line stretches across 5li with two more lines behind that one that soon push out to either side. Each third seems as large as the entire Imperial Army and they all know that is hardly the most dangerous past.

The wind begins to blow toward the Imperial line.

The rebel army advances, stamping their spears and chanting their mantras.

Whirlwinds are moved up behind them and with the wind at their backs will give them the ability to strike from out of range. The first stones behind to pelt their own artillery.

The rebels then advance until half a li away where the wind leaves them just out of catapult range and well beyond bowshot.

The wind starts to howl and great clouds swirl in the sky. A cry goes up from the Imperial troops as a great, grey dragon coils above them with eyes made of lightning and a roar made of thunder. The conscripts shake with terror, many dropping their weapons from hands that refuse to obey.

Finally the heavens swing open like a massive gate and ten thousand horsemen with ten thousand spearmen and ten thousand archers charge forth down the slope.

Behind them the rebel army surges ahead.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:05 pm

This is not ideal.

Baozi looks on the immense rebel army and the sorcerous manifestations quite calmly. It is certainly a sight to remember - though as things stand he will not have the chance to remember it for long. Yet it is not the ghostly army or the mortal one that is the real danger, nor is it - precisely - the storm dragon.

He turns to Dewang, who is also watching. "If the wind turned back on them even for a short while, we would have our chance."

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:43 pm

Dewang nods. He barely feels the power of the storm itself. The magic behind it is stronger than anything he has felt before, even the hurricane the previous night.

A sudden coughing spasm shakes him, and he forces himself to steady. This force may be too strong for him to dispel, but he can find cracks in it. If they are lucky, it will break when their foul missiles hit it.

That is, if the creaking catapults hold in the wind. Dewang closes his eyes and inhales, then exhales. Once, twice. The enemy may call himself Lord of Heaven, but not all of the spirits of the air are on his side.

A few seconds later, the wind shifts and veers around the catapults.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:39 am

The wind breaks but does not stop but the army of spirits advances to within their reduced range as swiftly as any living horse.

First is the cavalry with spears held low to crash into their enemy but before contact the catapults lose and fling their horrid payloads high above the loyal troops. In a torrent of filth the pots break and the soaked fibers spin open to spray forth their refuse.

The loyal cavalry are not spared as the winds drive a fair amount backward into their faces as they rush ahead. But while it makes them retch and gag they can still charge on. The Ghost Army of Yan, however, cannot abide the touch of such things and each horseman so contacted vanishes in a wisp of smoke to leave a torn strip of paper to be soiled and blown away in the unnatural wind.

It is hardly enough to break the charge but it opens up numerous gaps as one volley after another strikes the onrushing spirits.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:46 am

It's a damn mess.

The ghost army from before pales in comparison to the scenery before them now. Thirty thousand spectral figures charge at them, and no amount of steadying shouts can help some raw recruits.

His unit in the middle of the three brothers' rides to meet the army. The catapults go "fling!" and wet joins cold for a lovely combination of shivering soldiers with reduced visibility. Guess who hasn't left the farm behind hiiim

Wenchang's sword glows before it's smeared with dollops of mess. Quite undignified :P He carries on and cuts down several ghosts, watching them disintegrate where they're hit by the loads. He seizes a moment to yell at the men around him: "Coat your weapons in the filth! They are harmed by it! Pass it on!"

Then the eighth one hits back with a strong blow.

The cavalry despite the new tip, struggles against the innumerable foes. The Colonel's force fares no better. The catapults are being harassed by a part of the army too.

-----
Take the rolls and shove them :P maybe I'll edit them in later, MAYBE I WON'T! is all on turble discord if you wish to see

geddit, "pales"?

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Scarik » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:27 pm

Liu Bei's force is on the verge of collapse and the enemy catapults are furiously bombarding the imperial catapults. It is only a matter of time before Zhang Jue learns of their counter magic and directs his full attention toward destroying it.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:41 pm

This isn't enough. The ghost army is too numerous, and they are fighting more fiercely this time. He's banished them before, and here they are...

Why are they here? Zhang Jue may be powerful, but even he cannot force the spirits of the dead to do his bidding. What has he promised them, or threatened them with?

An idea comes into his mind, and for a moment he dismisses it as insane. Then he pauses. What else can he do, after all? He looks over at Baozi, who is listening to the chief engineer and nodding. He will see what his friend thinks, at least.

"I want to talk to the king."

Baozi doesn't look perturbed in the slightest, but makes several very sensible points. They will need to be able to signal the catapults from the thick of the battle. They will need to keep him clean. They will need to find Wenchang and have him clear a path to the king.

It isn't impossible. Baozi hastily arranges some signals with the engineers, while Dewang finds a few soldiers to hold a tent above them. It feels faintly ridiculous, but it must be done. Baozi ducks out almost immediately, which does not help, but now is not the time for self-consciousness.

Only a few minutes later, and the strange party is making its way towards Wenchang through the chaos.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

PreviousNext