[Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

[Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

Postby Scarik » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:20 pm

Jinyang City, Bingzhou

The provincial capital of Bingzhou is small by the standards of the Han with no more than 50,000 people in its commandery and only two towns of 5-6000 under its direct control. The port of Xi He is under the authority of the Governor as well but it is more than a week's journey along poor roads through marshy land once the main highway ends near the fortified pass of Hangu leading out of the Tai mountains to the fertile Wei plains where the Han people first arose many centuries before.

The commander of the garrison is Colonel Song Xian (style name Tizhi), an able commander of cavalry but a poor administrator. As such his court is composed of many competing factions despite having relatively few members. His chief advisers are his five captains, Wen, Hou, Han, Dang and Jing. Captain Wen Xi serves as chief lieutenant while general Hou Cheng is captain of the heavy cavalry.

Captain Dang Fu is in charge of patrolling the villages and farms to the west where the wet land gives many opportunities for infiltration by bandits and rebels. To accomplish this he has his lieutenants, Liang Ju and Wei Yan. Liang's platoon consists of skirmishers armed with shortbows and a variety of machetes and hatchets while Wei's platoon is proper light cavalry with lances, javelins and swords.

It is Lt. Wei's mission to keep the terrible roads clear so the merchants and tax collectors can move safely along them while Lt. Liang goes from village to village to learn the locations of bandits and other undesirables.

Throughout this it is the thankless task of the quartermaster, Du ZhiTeng, to keep the company supplied with grain for the horses and meat for the soldiers regardless of whether of not anyone managed to coordinate with the capital for provisions on schedule. At least he has the company of newcomer Tang Feng who despite being around less than a month already seems to know everyone and to have bested most of them at dice without having yet won enough to make anyone take a swing at him. Given his skill at winning money he has been made paymaster for the company.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Re: [Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

Postby SandTea » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:57 pm

Tang Feng, leaning back against a tree, sits under his umbrella watching the people go about their business.

"This is how it should be, Dewang. Calm, quite and most of all, easy." He says, chewing a stalk of hay. "Speaking of easy, how about we go to the brothel later tonight? I'd like to test how loose their lips are, if ya know what I mean. Maybe even get someone to pluck that cherry blossom from that.. that one that follows you around all the time. He is technically paying for it." He says with a smirk without making eye contact to either Dewang or his guard whom he won some coin from.

Last edited by SandTea on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:28 am

Lt. Wei stands firm and stares at his troops. "Under no circumstances should I hear even a hint of rioting or brawling of any kind, understood? You are not to behave like Junyou's platoon. I have faith that you are better, and the others shall see your grace. Be back in -- hours for roll call. I will not tolerate latecomers. That said, have fun, and make sure to refresh yourselves. We have a long march ahead of us. Dismissed!"

Wenchang turns away, feeling strange. He never knows what to do on days off. He walks over to the quartermaster office to ask Dewang about the lately erratic arrivals of supplies, but hesitates. Most likely he would not wish for a lecture when he is relaxing. Wenchang spots Zibin outside the office chatting with the man, and nods at them but does not make any attempt to join them, having caught some plan to visit the brothel.

He does not particularly care for either of the other platoon leaders' company, least of all Junyou's, and so spends the afternoon at a tea house.

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:35 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Kivutar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:38 am

Dewang looks up from the small scroll he is scribbling in.

"I can't say I object to that idea. Did you have a particular establishment in mind? I always prefer a place with good food and wine, not just women. No sense in feeding just one of your appetites, eh?"

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby SandTea » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:45 am

"Fine with me. Why not treat ourselves to the fancy place where the higher ups go? We deserve to be treated like prefects once in a while."

Zibin rises to his feet and exaggeratedly stretches.

SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:13 am

As Zibin and De Wang make plans to visit a brothel, nearly all of Junyou's men are giving debauched and raucous patronage to just such an establishment nearby, soldier and officer alike. Junyou himself has made arrangements to visit a higher class of whorehouse later that evening as well, as more of a treat for his guards than a utility for himself. Junyou had already availed himself quite thoroughly of Madame Dang's company the night prior, and is engaged to do so again the night following, but a man of his reputation must at least keep up the pretense of whoring. At the moment however, he is taking in some of the refinement of Hangu.

The sight that greets Wenchang as he enters his favorite teahouse is that of Junyou, dressed to the nines, sat in a semi-circle with five of his personal guards, smiling up at the doorway like the cat that got the cream. He raises his cup "Ah! Good Lieutenant. I had heard this particular teahouse was your haunt of choice. I must say, you appear to be man of impeccable taste." Junyou is a slight man in his mid twenties with more of a wiry musculature than a significant bulk. His skin and eyes denote a predominantly Korean ancestry. He takes a bite of rice cake and a sip of tea without breaking eye contact, a glimmer of amusement crossing his face. In contrast, his guards eat with all the grace of barnyard animals when they aren't leering at the waitresses or worse. "I might just have to become a regular myself."

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:54 am

Wenchang comes to an abrupt standstill, staring in cold distaste at Junyou. "A fine establishment!" the burly man barks. He strides over and strikes one of Junyou's men, who seems resistant to the idea of letting go of Meixiu's wrist as she pours tea. "But it has fallen into decline ever since they started letting farm animals in here," he adds disgustedly, glancing at the other men chomping away.

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:15 pm

The finest Tea House in Hangu is the House of Plum and Cherry so named for the two massive examples to either side of the entrance and the many more typically sized trees in the gardens flanking the establishment. The main building itself stretches three stories up the side of the mountain, each floor more elegant than the one below with no other place in town rivaling even the lowest floor.

The ground floor is wide open with columns stretching all the way up to the roof. At the rear are entrances to the serving sections and in the center is a parquet floor where dancers and acrobats perform. The second floor stretches around the first as a balcony where the patrons there can easily see down. At the rear are private rooms with excellent views of the parquet below and space for more intimate performances.

The third floor is reserved for high officials and is accessible only with Madame Taozi's* personal invitation. It is visible from below and smaller of course in the way a palace would be but unlike the richly appointed middle floor there are only private spaces there.

*peach

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:33 am

Junyou's eyes follow his bodyguard's floor-ward trajectory while sipping his tea casually. He holds up a hand to pacify his disquieted men and smiles at Wenchang in a mockery of friendliness. "My friend, what did that accomplish?" The fallen man groans and rolls on his side. "These boys may be rough-hewn, perhaps even boorish, and perhaps Fu here thinks himself quite the bull" he jibes the man beside him "but they are stalwart, hard-fighting men of the land, and they are here to indulge themselves of some small finery, before they return to the mud and rain of patrol and again shed their blood for our glorious emperor." He raises his cup in toast to aforesaid imperial personage, to which the remaining four bodyguards toast and rap the table in agreement. "If it is your heart's desire that you educate we simple woodland ruffians of your wide knowledge of poise and ettiquette, it would be my greatest pleasure to offer you a seat at my table. To dine at my expense! One lieutenant to another." Although he phrased the offer with the qualifier 'my table', as both Junyou and Wengchang well know, this is in fact Wenchang's customary reservation and Junyou has usurped it out of spite.

He drops the smile. "Animals you may think us, and animals we may be. If that is the case, I would exercise a little more caution were I you. Raise your hand against myself or my entourage again, Yan, and you will not live long to regret it." He picks up his cup and saucer and snaps at the waitress for more tea.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:14 am

Wenchang glares, recalling with some regret his speech in the morning to the men. Gah. He helps the man to his feet, and carefully, this time, puts his hands on Junyou's table and leans in. "Is it also the glorious Emperor for whom you're engaging in your extracurricular activities, Junyou?" He leans back. "Social grace I might not have, but eyes I do. I might not have the power to see you get your fitting punishment, but watch out. Call me by my given name again, as if you were my superior (hah! a laughable thought) and you will be the one with the sadly short lifespan." Yan turns away and leaves the place, but not before turning at the doorway and staring long and hard at Junyou, angry sparks flashing in his eyes. "Once a criminal, always a criminal."

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:02 am

"Yan!" Zibin interrupts with a big pat on the back of Lt. Wei. Zibin had been listening in for some time. "Who ya staring at, who're we fighting, grrr lets get em." Zibin pauses a moment. "How's it going Junyou" Zibin tries to undo the tension between the two. "No need to leave Wangchang, didn't you want to talk to Dewang? He should be here any minute"

Zibin closes his umbrella ducking under the stare down between Lt. Wei and Lt. Liang. "Lt. Liang, would ya join me on the balcony? I've good news."

Zibin goes to a quiet area on the balcony 2nd story thinking about his plan to get some more cash flowing through his hands.

Last edited by SandTea on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:35 am

Junyou inclines his head at the interruption of their innebriated colleague, with a short diffusing smile crossing his lips. After the waitress has poured his tea, he tells her to bring them something a little stronger for his groaning friend, before rising to join Zibin on the balcony, with a curt nod to Wei if he is still within view to receive it. Once there, he folds his arms and leans against the balustrade next to the company paymaster. "So, what news? Have you at last found enlightenment at the bottom of a bottle?" he chuckles.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:04 am

"Not yet but that is one blessing I'm content to wait for. As for the other thing. Hypothetically..."
Zibin explains his plan to try and get some more troops to Liang Ju, some being fake so they can embezzle.

"but right now, we just relax. Perhaps try and eavesdrop a little". His attention momentarily shifting away.
Zibin leans over the balcony to try and get a look at where Wengchang was last seen and if Dewang has arrived.

Last edited by SandTea on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:16 pm

As Dewang approaches the tea house, he spots Wenchang heading in the opposite direction. He considers talking to the Lieutenant, but the man looks to be in such a foul mood that he decides against it. He can make a fairly good guess as to what happened.

Instead, he heads into the teahouse, and, spotting Junyou and Tang Feng on a balcony, goes to join them.

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:10 pm

"Zibin why on earth would I fritter my leave on something as pedestrian as eavesdropping? Esecially when I can simply have someone else do it for me." He waves a finger in greeting down at Dewang as he enters at the floor below. "Is our mutual friend up to speed in the matter we've just discussed?" he asks while he is still out of earshot.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Next