[Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: [Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:11 pm

As Xufeng makes a last futile effort to urge his mount to greater speed, he gasps to his companions, "Fuli, Bitong, can you scare their horses?" They are both much better at the magic Master Du has been teaching them: he hopes they understood his intentions.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Ladki96 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:07 am

Fuli nods and concentrates on an illusion which only the Huis' mounts can see: a moving ring of fire around them. It works, the horses immediately stop galloping and rear, neighing in distress. The officers ride faster but the Huis quickly bring their horses under control and are soon catching up to them again.

Zaitian calls out to the others, "I'll keep them off you as long as I can. Get Dr Hua out of here!"

Xufeng looks back to see He draw his sword and turn behind. No way! He tells the ones in front to "keep going and not stop for anything" and follows his friend.

Zaitian has no time to say anything as the Huis are on them at once. He and the bigger one go for a few rounds while Xufeng tries to fend off the woman with his stick. It is clear that they are hopelessly outmatched, and when Mr Hui hits Zaitian's wrist and the sword slides from his grasp and falls to the ground, they surrender. At least the others can't be seen for miles now.

-----------

Fuli takes Yuanhua to Master Du.

Fuli (Sorcery)
([-] [0] [+] [0]) + 2 = 2
Creates Invoke: "And it Burns Burns Burns"

Zaitian (Prowess)
([+] [0] [-] [0]) + 2 + 2 (Invoke) + 2 (FP: "Can't Help but Help but the Helpless") = 6

Hui (Prowess))
([+] [+] [0] [0]) + 4 + 2 (FP: PCs) = 8

---Real Boys Concede--- (+FP)
Conditions for concession
1. Hua Tuo and Fuli reach the army
2. Bitong and Cuiying are separated from the others, tired, have to rest and reach two days later
3. Zaitian and Xufeng are captured alive by the gangsters

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Kivutar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:56 am

Dewang waits anxiously for several days after Boxiao’s return. Then, one evening as he walks outside the camp, he sees a vaguely familiar horse approaching. A few seconds later, two facts sink in: there are two riders, and no more horses.

He’s never seen Jingyi so white, but she’s calm.

“The others?” is the first question he asks.

“Captured,” says the dignified man who rides behind her. This must be the famed doctor.

His heart sinks. “Liang Ju?”

Jingyi shakes her head, and slips off the horse. “Bandits. I don’t know where the others are…”

Somehow, he manages to get the doctor to Wenchang. His friend will live, Hua Tuo says, but the relief feels dull.

He finds Jingyi some tea. When everyone else is out of sight, she nearly collapses.

“We ran into them before we found the doctor,” she says, between sobs. “Xufeng says Liang Ju hired them, to kill your friend…”

Slowly, he pieces the story together. “And the others were all captured.”

“I don’t know.” She can’t look up. “I’m so sorry.”

“I should be,” he growls.

When she is asleep, he goes to warn Baozi at once. “I don’t know if you’ll help or no,” he tells him, “but I mean to find these Huis. I’ll either get my apprentices back, or avenge them. One or the other.”

Hua Tuo shrugs. “They’re bandits, not too different from others. Cultists, I’ve heard.”

“Cultists?” he asks, warily.

“Worshippers of a forest god. What that means, who knows?”

Dewang nods and swallows. Cultists are everywhere; the Yellow Scarves are merely one grown out of control. He looks at Wenchang, who is still in that deep, unnatural sleep.

“He’ll wake in a week or two,” says the doctor. Dewang tries to find the words to thank him until Hua Tuo all but throws him out.

His heart leaps through his chest when Kun and Jun trudge in the next day, but the other two are still missing. Jingyi flies to her brother, but the pair look weary and defeated.

“Xufeng and Zaitian stayed back to give us a chance,” says Jun. He looks Dewang directly in the eye. “We’ll go after them, won’t we?”

“Of course we will,” says Dewang firmly.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Scarik » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:56 pm

Without Wenchang to lead the company Baozi and Dewang are sent to the back to help with the wounded and the logistics train. From there they see the final battle commence and rage for three days. That is when the two straggling apprentices return.

Just after dawn on that last day the defenders offer to surrender. They say that Zhang Jue is dead and Zhang Liang escaped during the night with his closest disciples. They tear down their yellow banners, cast off their scarves and open the gates for Ding Yuan.

The governor takes control immediately and within two more days the city is engaged in clean up and repairs. The many dead are buried outside the walls and the captive rebels are held in quickly erected prison camps while officials (including Dewang and Baozi) gather information for Ding Yuan's judgement.

At the end of that week Ding Yuan pardons all rebel infantry but executes the priests and commanders. Their bodies are taken to the mountains and left for the buzzards.

During this time Liu Yan takes his forces back to Youzhou. As the army rouses in the morning Jian Yong comes to Baozi with a letter from Liu Bei,

"The Colonel sincerely hopes you will accompany him back to Jichen." he says presenting the letter. It says essentially that as well as being a recommendation letter to Governor Liu Yan.

General Lu Bu also seeks out Baozi at one point to congratulate him on his battlefield prowess.

"I would not have guessed you had it in you, the Governor expects great things from you and Captain Wei. The war is over now so I would not expect a promotion but a civil position is certainly in your future should you stay with us."

Dewang is a more divisive figure. There are many stories spread of his actions and while all are partly true they have very different effects on segments of the army. Some are awed and seek him out, calling him Shifu Du (teacher), while others are afraid or even hateful and call him Mogui Du (devil). The latter see no difference between one sorcerer and another and wish they would all depart to the mountains.

Wenchang, meanwhile has yet to awaken but Dr. Hua stops Dewang at one point.

"Your disciples saved me from the Huis and I must thank you for that. I expect you mean to rescue those who have not yet returned, and while I cannot help you with that I can caution you that they are master's of poisons. They will certainly employ them against you, most notably a deadly serum derived from the Viper Lily. It has no antidote but I have devised a potion that can protect against the worst of its effects provided you take it before exposure."

He hands Dewang a bag filled with ceramic flasks sealed with wax.. "Take one sip and no more of the cure may be harmful. It will protect you for a day but you cannot tale more than one sip in a week without risk. This supply will protect 30 people for one day. Use it wisely for no more can be made until next summer."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:04 am

"Of course I will help," Baozi answers Dewang immediately, "as soon as we are ready and have the opportunity to leave." They had best not run off without a thought again. "And I will be on my guard: these people will not catch me unaware. Will you thank Miss Xian for her warning, and Dr Hua of course?"

They are kept busy for some time after that, and besides, how could they leave while Wenchang still lies unconscious? At least, there are now only two teachers missing.

Xianhe's visit takes him by surprise; their employer had sent no word to them since before the battle, and Baozi had taken that to mean that he had not forgiven them in spite of Governor Ding's order. But now he wants him to return with him? Or is it only that he was told to - how is he to know whether really Liu Bei trusts him again? Jian Yong makes no mention of Dewang or Wenchang either, and Baozi would not like to lose their friendship if they are not included. Or if they simply decline: Dewang has had little complimentary to say about their employer lately.

Besides, it turns out that the letter recommends him back to Governor Liu. He is not sure that he could bear returning to his service after the embarrassing way he brought about his own expulsion from it before.

"I... Thank you, but I, uh..." Baozi stammers halfway through a few feeble excuses and mercifully Xianhe seems to grasp his meaning and leaves him be without forcing him to say it outright. Later Baozi finds Dewang and tells him about the invitation.

"Oh... er, that is a good opportunity for you." His friend doesn't quite meet his eyes.

"You think that I should go then?"

Dewang looks up. "Well, if you want to."

"I'm... I'm not sure if there is any good reason not to. It is a good opportunity."

Dewang brightens. "You don't want to, though? I wouldn't, if it was me."

"Then I won't."

General Lu's praise is even more startling - Baozi is after all one of the three who tried to hunt down his protege - and nearly as uncomfortable, but after he has gone and Baozi has collected himself it is not at all unpleasing. And the chance of a position as well: surely he has made the right decision by declining Liu Bei's offer.

Now, if only Wenchang would wake. It is not that he doesn't trust Dr Hua's assurance that he will recover, but one can never be completely sure of the future until it takes place.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Ladki96 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:31 am

1. Sleeping Beauty, Get Up Already! Wait Sir, I must Hyperventilate First

Wenchang wakes up with a gasp. That dream was too real. He sits up and looks around. A tent? The last thing he remembers is calling out to that ancient prince and... hold on. It was real. It was all real! He looks down at himself, covered in bandages. No, that battle... he should be rightfully dead. Why is he alive? This is all wrong! And that man. He looked so familiar. He looked like well, himself. But, different. No, this was another man, he was dressed in royal robes and - and -

Wenchang presses his knuckles to his face. The flap opens and he looks up and sighs in relief as Dewang enters. One thing at a time.

2. War is Over Soldier! Come back when We have Need of You Again!

"I've heard of the Huis in passing. They operate in Nan Pi. No good, the lot."

"They captured two of my teachers," says Dewang.

Wenchang looks at his upset friend. "I owe your men my life. Let's go rescue them." Anything to get rid of this listlessness. He dare not be idle, for fear his mind will start on that again.

To that end, he goes searching after his troops, find out who did and didn't make it. Lt. Gang comes to meet him not a day later after Dewang. His original platoon apparently survived the war ("Haven't our men seen it all at this point, boss? Let them try anything. We have a captain who can't be killed!" brags Boxiao) and are ready to follow him anywhere.

3. A Kind Offer

Wenchang has always held Governor Ding in high esteem, so it is no surprise when it turns out he hadn't forgotten who did what in the war. Unlike other superiors.

"Thank you General, the Governor is truly generous. I have a personal affair to attend to right now, but I'd be fortunate to work w-for him in the future." Work 'with'? What's wrong with him?

4. We were Born on Different Days but Let us Die on the Same

Almost a fortnight after he wakes up, Wenchang is back to his old self bodily even if not mentally. He's not sure he will ever be, but there's no use looking back, and slowly he's adjusting to it. He hunts for his armour in the days before they leave. As he gets it out, he gets a clear look at it in the morning light, and almost drops it.

The armour is now bright red and more elaborate. And there's a banner sprawled on the floor next to it. Red and gold. The colours of Yan. Wenchang stares at the flag for a while, before folding it and stashing it among his belongings. He can ignore this no longer.

One night he joins Dewang and Baozi for an evening meal, They discuss the war, and the upcoming 'excursion.'

"Everything's ready. We can leave tomorrow, perhaps the day after tomorrow."

"Good. Perha-"

"And there's one thing more." Will they think him mad? He pushes on. "At our last battle, after the Prince... took over, from what you say. I had a dream - vision - call it what you will. He appeared in it and showed me my ancestry. I'm a... man from Yan. I'm descended from him. I... put my great-great-great-however long back-grandfather to rest, " Wenchang says, the sheer bizarreness of it making him half-laugh as he does.

"I found the Prince's armour and the family's banner among my things yesterday. I'm still coming to terms with this - revelation, but I do know what I want to do with it now. I want to restore our status. My parents - they have no idea. My father could be sitting on a throne, yet he catches fish and seeds our fields. He-" Wenchang takes a deep breath. "What I meant to say was, are you with me on this? I know you're both cleverer than me but I have this feeling that it wasn't just some hallucination. You two found out Colonel Liu's ancestry. Surely..."

"Of course we believe you," Dewang is quick to reply. "Just digesting this new information, that's all."

"I just wanted to tell somebody, for fear of going insane turning it over and over in my head," Wenchang smiles. "The urgent matter for now is of course, your teachers."

"Thank you both again for doing this," Dewang's voice is full of gratitude.

"It is the only honourable thing to do. Doctor Hua saved my life."

"And he patched me up," puts in Baozi.

"And we are friends after all. We have been through an entire war together. My men followed your lead in that charge Baozi, and you proved worthy of their trust." Wenchang raises a cup and proposes, "Let us always be there for each other. Let us be brothers in bond if not flesh."

So they swear. :)

FP spent to clear Doomed
In-game two weeks spent to clear In Peril and Wounded

Milestone - new stuff
Leader Mantle: Patronage, Ready and Willing
Aspects for Sword, Veteran team
Switched Awareness and Archery (Awareness: 3->4, Archery: 4->3)
(have a feeling that skill might be needed pretty soon :P)
Following the sensible lady here and saving my point for when I can up Fencing/shift more skills around

Last edited by Ladki96 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:12 am

"You captured the enemy lieutenant?"

Baozi makes himself look smaller in that feline way he has, even as a man. "I did, yes."

Dewang starts to praise him, remembers who he is talking to, and stops awkwardly. "Er, so he's a prisoner now?"

Baozi shrugs. "Somewhere?"

The point sticks in Dewang's mind. Liao Chun had been a rebel, but he'd seemed honourable, even as an enemy. Why had he followed the rebel sorcerer?

After a day or two, he goes to see the prisoner himself. He's almost, but not quite, surprised at how serene the man is, despite his imminent execution.

Liao Chun raises his eyebrows at the sight of Dewang. "They've sent you to question me now, have they?"

"No." Dewang sits down. "No one sent me."

"Oh?"

Dewang shakes his head. "I'm no soldier. I only want you to tell me about your master."

"Why?"

"I don't know," says Dewang truthfully.

Liao Chun hesitates, but a spark had lit in his eyes at the mention of Zhang Jue. Dewang hears him out, listening with genuine interest. Zhang Jue had been a good talker, it seems to him, but short on substance, even when hearing about him from his most devoted disciple.

When the other magician slows down, Dewang asks a few more questions, some with motives behind them, some without. Time flies by, and the conversation drifts away from wars and politics and into mysticism and the finer points of philosophy.

"What can I say?" says Yuanjian finally, throwing up his hands. "Right or wrong, there was no one else who stood against all this wickedness. You certainly aren't."

That hits home.

"Are you determined to die, then?" says Dewang, slowly.

"I have no other choice."

There is a long pause. "I'll see if I can do something," Dewang says, finally. He has no idea what.

Yuanjian's heavy eyebrows knit together. "Do you follow every single impulse, or is there a method to it?"

"I-"

He realizes that there is the faintest glint of a smile on Yuanjian's lips.

Dewang smiles as he swears brotherhood with his friends, but his true feelings are mixed. When it comes to Baozi, he couldn't be more pleased, but when it comes to Wenchang... of course, he cannot refuse, and he is happy, he is...

But that makes some of his hidden feelings rather inappropriate.

He can put that aside. It's not as if it makes any difference anyway. This is a good thing.

And Wenchang has noble ancestry! Dewang can't doubt it for a minute. And if there is anyone who is worthy of power, it is Wenchang. He'd borne the sword of the prince so nobly...

Dewang is walking back to his own tent when he stops short. "I... put my great-great-great-however long back-grandfather to rest," Wenchang had said. The king was his ancestor. And-

That means-

He's not sure how he gets back to his tent, but at some point that night he finds himself biting down on his blanket, and forces himself to stop. He has to hide it. He can't show the least sign.

If Wenchang ever finds out, his new brother will have to kill him.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:15 pm

Dewang acquires a cloak and horse for Liao Chun, which is not too difficult considering his job. He looks away when the soldiers grumble the next day about one of the leaders of the rebellion having escaped in the night.
----------------------------------------------

With the war over, Dewang is free to go back to Ye in between everything else. He makes arrangements with the camp followers (washerwomen, administration, etc) in the army there to look after the children and hires temporary teachers to continue their education.
-----------------------------------------------

Having cleared it with the governor the party set off one morning for Nan Pi. /o/

3k.png
Lessgo!
3k.png (20.59 KiB) Viewed 5955 times

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:09 am

There is no danger for a party of their size* on the road to Nan Pi. They move quickly but it still takes a week to reach the city where the guards examine their papers.

"You should go to the palace, these won't be much use soon," the officer on watch says as he hands them back.

On the up side they at least have Governor Ding's letter of permission still so that ought to help with whomever the prefect is. They see no clear sign save for a few deep, earthy yellow banners that have gone up to replace the bright yellow of the rebels.

The city itself is about the same size as Ping Yuan but is is closer to the Bohai Sea rather than the Huan River. This makes the air just as wet but also salty as well as smelling like low tide twice a day. This closeness means that it is one of the first stops for fish from the sea and so the markets are crowded with fishmongers selling the day's (and yesterdays) catch.

Even in late autumn the smell is distinctive. It stretches the imagination to think of what it would be in summer with twice the fish and triple the heat.

*I don't know how many of you there are.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:01 pm

As Wenchang goes to see about their paperwork, Dewang goes to Baozi.

"So, shall we go see what we can find out about this cult?"

He and Baozi set about their inquiries, and Jingyi, Kun, and Jun set off in a group to do the same.

All are carrying at least one of the little vials of antidote.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:38 am

Wenchang finds the palace as exciting as he expected. He waits all morning to see a clerk and then must progress through ever more, marginally more senior clerks, before he gets to an administrator who can actually do something for him. By then it is dark, though so he has to go back in the morning to see the governor and get his papers signed.

As for the Cult of the Forest God, everyone seems to know something about it that their cousin learned from a merchant or woodsman. No one has quite the same story though and its unlikely that the Forest God is a dragon, ghost, pirate, Yellow Turban impersonating government officials on the orders of the last Emperor.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:40 am

Wenchang, Baozi, Dewang and a soldier from this city go next day to get the papers for safe passage, and also catch any information about the cult at the offices while Dewang and his employees set out once more to investigate

Last edited by Ladki96 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 am

It is noon when Wenchang gets his audience with the governor. He is a man of 30 years with an aristocratic bearing and a Central accent.

"Officers of Bingzhou?" He asks, "What business of Ding Yuan's are you about?"

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:14 pm

"Where's your brother/cousin so I can kill him? Don't worry, he's like, totally an enemy of yours (and most other warlords) in the future. Btw you guys need to seriously streamline your efforts against Dong Zhuo when the time comes. Here, this is an entry pass for Management 101: Motivating Your Team. Take notes. And listen to your goshdarn advisers. Except for the one who tells you not to help the Sun guy, he's the wurst"

ok ok

"None, Lord Governor. The war is over, and we are on personal business to rescue some friends of ours. They have been taken by some members of a local cult. We'll clean up this dangerous element for you. ^^ For that we seek permission of free movement and information on the Huis."

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:59 am

"The Huis? Do you mean the Clan of Hui Pi* the magistrate? They are one of the head families of this area, you can find them in Hui Shi Qu** in the northwest of the city. I'm sure if anyone knows of your friends' location then word will reach Lord Hui through one of his many retainers or business ventures."

He pays no more mind to Wenchang and has his chief clerk approve their papers then moves on to the next petitioner.

They are free to leave or to move about the palace.

*痞 (Pǐ) means 'ruffian' or 'swelling of the liver'

** 'The Hui Quarter'

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

PreviousNext