[Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: [Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

Postby Ladki96 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Wenchang thinks about it for a moment, then sighs. "Very well. But we are not going there alone. I won't have either of you killed walking into a den of thugs."

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Kivutar » Sun May 13, 2018 9:34 pm

"I doubt I would last long without you," says Dewang. He turns and looks over at Baozi. "Would you be willing to come with us?"

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby CarrieVS » Sun May 13, 2018 10:59 pm

Join with a notorious bandit? But one can make common cause with an enemy, against another, mutual foe, so long as one is appropriately cautious. Baozi thinks about it more seriously. It certainly promises to be interesting, and if it is going to happen, he would not like to miss it.

"What exactly do you mean to do, and how will this bandit help us do it?"

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Kivutar » Sun May 13, 2018 11:02 pm

"Doubtless he has gone into hiding," says Dewang. "He knows these hills. We could not hope to find him by ourselves, but the Bull could track him down easily. If she were to help us, we together could find Captain Liang and bring him to justice."

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sun May 13, 2018 11:17 pm

"There is a lot that we will need to consider with this plan, " Baozi says, "like how we will find the Bull, and convince her to work with us, and how we will prevent Jun- Captain Liang from ordering his soldiers to attack us if he does not like his chances. We don't want to be forced to destroy a company of our own army.

"But it seems that Liang should be stopped. And besides," he glances at Wenchang, "I don't think we will have peace within our own ranks until this matter is settled."

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sun May 13, 2018 11:42 pm

With the business portion of their dinner tentatively concluded, Dewang turns to his large friend. “How about a game of weiqi? The loser has to drink three cups of wine.” He is not nearly drunk enough to challenge Baozi.

Wenchang happily agrees, and Dewang, only the more confident for all the wine he has drunk, gets off to a strong start.

Wenchang looks over the board soberly. He rubs his beard. “Hmm.” He then tries to remember the basic tactics. Nothing pierces through the pleasant fog but he can’t bring himself to admit it. Suddenly, a brilliant idea occurs to him. He has seen Dewang chant and meditate a hundred times, usually before something awesome happens. It can’t be that difficult.

Wenchang covertly watches Dewang take a sip out of the corner of his eye. He’s sure that he doesn’t see him, so he subtly moves his hands under the table, trying to knead thin air. “Spirits, listen to me, the master of mystic arts,” he whispers. “Grant me luck, oh benevolent deities!” He downs a cup, and the room suddenly sways a bit. Thrilled at this obvious sign from the elements, he confidently pushes a piece forward.

Dewang stares as Wenchang babbles loudly and flails around. He can’t seriously be trying -

He smirks. If Wenchang wishes…

Suddenly, the pieces seem to rise a little ways into the air. Before Wenchang’s eyes, they all sprout a tiny pair of legs. The pieces shiver for a moment, then begin to prance about the board. The black and white pieces join hands and trip around in a merry dance.

After a few moments, the pieces abruptly gather together and form a very rude word before breaking apart again and reforming into a valid position. One that is decidedly to Dewang’s advantage.

Wenchang watches with his mouth open. He rubs his eyes frantically. What the hell just happened? He definitely did not do that. Did he? Maybe, maybe he did. Maybe he possesses the powers of sorcery! He looks up at Dewang, only to see him double over with laughter. Wenchang bites his tongue, but then joins in the laughter. He pushes the last available stone and accepts defeat with a sheepish grin.

“I think this night deserves to end with a song,” Wenchang says and picks up the guqin. “Loudest wins!”

Dewang, still fighting laughter, agrees. He doggedly tries to match Wenchang’s deep voice, and very nearly does. Perhaps he even might have, if he weren’t continually stifling giggles. Wenchang is however determined to not lose face at least here, and puts all his effort into it, saving the laughter till the end.

“I think we are even,” says Dewang when he finally gets his composure back. He pours out three cups each, and they drink to the success of their new plan.

Lads accidentally rolled Sorcery instead of Strategy, got -4, and we decided that was way too funny not to include.

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:54 am

Wenchang visits Dang Fu the next day. "We have a plan to find Liang so you can bring him in. We will set out tomorrow morning for the hills, along with some of my friends. Listen, we are going to catch him unawares..."

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Tue May 15, 2018 9:35 pm

"You are a good friend, Wenchang, and I would be proud to call you my brother." Then he frowns and stares out toward the forest, "But I cannot go and chase my enemy. General Lu has promoted me to Major and made me commander of the garrison."

Its a great thing, to be promoted and given such authority, but hard to see how it is not a bribe to quell unrest in the ranks.

"At least Liang Ju will never find shelter again in Hangu. Let him live in the woods like a wolf and may he die there like one."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Wed May 16, 2018 12:15 am

The next day, after everyone has sufficiently sobered up, Dewang and Baozi go through records and reports. They are lucky enough to find a detailed map of the area.

It takes a while to get all of the reports matched to the map and dated, but soon they can see a pattern. After a few more calculations and examining the most recent reports, they have a fairly good idea of where they might find the Bull.

When they are finished, he goes and finds his clerks. "I'll be gone for some days," he says. "Kun is in charge while I am gone. If the army moves on, stay here and wait for me."

Jun follows him a few steps. "The woods are full of bandits. What if you don't come back?"

"I'll come back."

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:07 am

"That would be too big a mercy for him," says Wenchang. "Let me go then, while the army musters. I shall bring him back, bound or otherwise, as my duty to a brother."

Incense lit? Check
Coins donated? Check
Goat sacrificed? Check
Oath sworn? CHECK

*insert 'setting out on an adventure' music here* Image

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu May 17, 2018 1:21 am

"And I know how to find out how much space is inside a shape. Triangles and rectangles," the little boy draws the shapes in the air with his hands as he goes on. "But not circles. Teacher Ren said circles are difficult and we have to learn more about multiplying numbers first." Yu is always excited when Ren Lin has been teaching them mathematics, and seems to be developing a talent for numbers - perhaps because numbers are easier to draw than words. His reading is coming along well, for his age, but he writes atrociously.

Baozi lets him go on until he runs out of things to say. He has been putting off telling the child, but it would be cruel to leave without any explanation, when they might be gone some time. Yu stands awkwardly silent, waiting to be spoken to. He is not so nervous by now, at least around Baozi, but he is still shy - and still mostly sits alone when he is not at his lessons.

"I'm not going to see you for a few days, Yu," he begins. The boy puts his thumb into his mouth, which he'd been doing less and less now that he's growing more comfortable with his new life. "I have to go away for a little while," Baozi continues, trying - badly, he suspects - to feign cheerfulness, "but I'll be back before you know it. I shall want to hear all about what you've learned while I was gone."

Yu nods obediently, still sucking his thumb, and says nothing.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sat May 19, 2018 9:24 pm

The group heads out early the next morning with papers authorizing them to patrol in force along the road to Jianyang signed by Major Dang. Its an easy ride the first day since the roads are well maintained and already well guarded so bandits hardly dare to come this close to Hangu.

The next day they enter the somewhat more dangerous zone that has the merchants who can afford to hiring local guides who no doubt are in league with the bandits but who ensure safety all the same. It is this illegal tax that allows The Bull and her Qin Mountain Vixens to prosper in this rugged land.

So its no surprise the officers find they are greeted warmly at each village since the locals are sure to be sending runners to the Bull to report on troop movements.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:32 am

Wenchang sternly addresses the headman. "We are on a mission to find the Bull. Don't waste our time playing ignorant, you know exactly where her base is."

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sun May 20, 2018 10:24 pm

Dewang puts his hand on Wenchang's arm and addresses the headman.

"We are not here to fight her, strange though that may seem. We only want to speak with her, if she is willing to hear us on friendly terms."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sun May 20, 2018 11:13 pm

The elder is clearly unnerved by Wenchang's blunt accusation but Dewang manages to calm him.

"Well, yes, there are bandits whose leader wears something bull-like in the hills here, uh, northwest. I don't know where to find them though."

Pressed some more while at ease he offers to ask around and see if anyone from neighboring villages or the woodsmen could help.

"It may take a few days, hard to get people to open up about those sorts of things and all."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

PreviousNext