[Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: [Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:45 am

"If you are sure you would not find it dull," Baozi replies. "I would be glad of your company, and your help." He leads De Wang towards the archives. "You remember what I said about Colonel Liu and the Governor, on the first night you were here?" He fills his friend in on his plan.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Kivutar » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:50 pm

It takes two nights of poring over records and old reports, but eventually everything begins to emerge.

Liu Bei is indeed a descendant of the Imperial family, through his ancestors Liu Zhen and Liu Shen, now dead these three centuries. Distant, perhaps, and from the line of a shamed ex-Marquis - but the connection is real.

Dewang leans back and looks at Baozi who has been half-asleep after briefly rousing himself to find one last stubborn birth record an hour before.

"Baozi?"

"Mhm?"

"Why did we do this again?"

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:58 pm

"Oh!" Baozi is not sure what to say. He isn't entirely certain why himself - it had only been a fancy of his, and he had not meant to involve anyone else. Although without doubt, he could not have got the answers anywhere near so quickly, alone. He is not convinced that he wouldn't have abandoned the effort, but with two of them working on it it had seemed more important.

"I am sorry. I should not have asked you to help - though I was very glad of you. I... I do not like this disharmony between Governor Liu and the Colonel. It is making trouble. I hope this evidence may mend it." He almost stops there, but he owes De Wang more of the truth than that, so he forces himself to go on, though staring at his own feet. "But if truth be told, I wished to find out because I did not know. I am very sorry to have taken so much of your time over it."

He does not say that he has come to admire and like Liu Bei, and wanted to do something for him. He is Governor Liu's servant and it feels terribly disloyal to his master to take the part of one he distrusts and dislikes. But now, he hopes that Colonel Liu will not be the object of the Governor's displeasure for much longer, and then not only will Baozi have helped him, but he will not be wrong to like him.

He is silent for a while. "It would be easiest for me to take this evidence to Governor Liu," he says finally. "I... I shall not deprive you of the credit! It is only that I will be able to speak to him more easily, and sooner, being with him so much."

De Wang not only doesn't mind, he requests not to be mentioned at all. The two scholars part way to get some much-needed sleep. The following day, it is late afternoon before Baozi, clutching the sheaf of notes they had made, can summon the courage to address the Governor during a quiet moment.

"Governor Liu," he says, standing up from his writing desk and bowing, "May I ... may I bring something to your attention?" He continues to look at the floor as he waits for an answer.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:31 am

"What is it, Baozi," the governor asks, "you are not one to speak up so I trust this is important."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:58 am

Baozi has of course rehearsed his speech mentally many times today. At the Governor's words, it all goes out of his mind.

"I... My Lord, I have... I thought-"

"Never mind all that. Just tell me what you know: let's not be here all day."

Boazi takes a deep breath, and blurts out in one breath, "I have found that Colonel Liu is descended from the Emperor Jing just as he claims." He bows again, this time holding out the scroll he and De Wang prepared containing the all three hundred years of the lineage. So much for all he had thought out to say about his reasons for looking. He supposes that the Governor will ask about that if he wants to know.

Last edited by CarrieVS on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:50 am

Liu Yan furrows his brow and takes the proffered scroll without a word, leaving Baozi to bow while he unties it and reads its contents. It takes him several minutes to read it and then go back over it before he looks up.

"And you are certain this is correct?" he asks before answering himself, "Yes, of course you are, being wrong in this matter would not be like you. It would end your civil career, but you'd more worry about errors than consequences..."

He grumbles a bit about it and then remarks, "Talent and lineage always rise in times of need."

Then he hands the scroll back to Baozi and has him straighten up. "Inform the Colonel he is to join me tomorrow for lunch, I will speak with him of this at that time. Until then tell no one."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 am

In fact, while the Governor was reading the scroll Baozi has been fighting to hide a rising panic that there may be a mistake. He knows there is not: both he and De Wang - who has a remarkable talent at such things - had checked it and re-checked it. But it is hard to feel certain of that while it is being scrutinised

It is terribly wrong for him to take the credit for the discovery, but what else can he do when De Wang specifically asked not to be mentioned? At least Governor Liu does not undertake to praise him directly for it. Baozi accepts the scroll back, uncertain whether he has done the right thing. The Governor does not seem especially pleased.

When he is dismissed, he goes in search of Colonel Liu as instructed, and extends the Governor's invitation. Ought he find De Wang too, to warn him to keep this secret? He doubts his friend would have any wish to tell anyone, but looks out for him, to mention it if he has a chance.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:51 pm

Baozi finds Colonel Liu easily enough and even has the good fortune to meet Xianhe before Yide knows he is present. He deliver's the governor's order for Liu Bei join him the next day and then departs to his own business for the remainder of the evening.

The next day Liu Bei meets with Liu Yan while Baozi is present (but not Liu Bei's brothers or his secretary) and though the tension is agony for the shy scholar it is lifted quickly when he hears the Governor call Liu Bei by his courtesy name for the first time.

"Xuande, it has come to my attention that I have failed you as a relative. I intend to make amends immediately."

"My lord," Liu Bei says with his usual even voice despite what must be raging in his mind, "there is no need for you to trouble yourself over such matters."

"Nonsense," the governor says with a wave of his hand, "you must accept my apology. From this moment I recognize you as the rightful and sole remaining heir of the Prince of Zhongshan. A memorial is being prepared for delivery to His Imperial Highness with my recommendation and I will accept your advice that Zhang Shiping be raised to the rank of Secretary of the Province."

Liu Bei is of course gracious with his thanks and makes a gift of two of his finest steeds to his cousin, Liu Yan. When he leaves the governor turns to address Baozi once more and the reality of what he and Liu Bei have agreed upon sinks in.

"Your final tasks for me are to prepare the memorial to the Court recommending Liu Bei be acknowledged as an Imperial Cousin due to his lineage, and that you prepare a recommendation for yourself to the next position you will hold. You may go."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:36 am

Baozi stares numbly at his - former - master, before he realises how rude he is being and lowers his gaze. He cannot say anything, and simply leaves.

Governor Liu must have been displeased by the discovery of Liu Bei's ancestry. Perhaps he genuinely disliked him, and had only seized on the excuse, which he has now lost. Or maybe he had wanted to dismiss Baozi anyway, and is just accepting Colonel Liu's recommendation now. He gets - got impatient with Baozi's stumbling and hesitation; probably he is glad to replace him.

Baozi feels the hot pricking of tears in his eyes, and dashes a hand over his face to wipe them away. He has work to do after all. He cannot bring himself to go to the library or anywhere he might be noticed and spoken to. He hurries back to his apartment and his desk there, mercifully not seeing anyone on the way.

He is a fool. A blind, ignorant fool. He had thought himself so clever over this. And how will he face De Wang again, when he will have to tell him what has come of their labours. De Wang will probably be too kind to laugh at his naivety, but he will be thinking it for sure.

He finishes the memorial to the Court, sets it aside, and takes a fresh page.

Being dismissed by Governor Liu is a bitter disappointment, but he can understand it. There are surely many other officials who are just as good at dealing with the letters and archives and schedules, without being so hopeless when their duties call on them to speak to someone. This Zhang Shiping - not a name he recognises - will probably serve him much better than Baozi.

He has written nothing so far.

Somehow, that Colonel Liu should have advised the Governor to replace him seems to hurt more. He had seemed to take such a kind interest in Baozi lately. How stupid he is. He was lucky, very lucky, to get this post, and now he has ruined everything.

What can he possibly write to recommend himself? He has just proven his ignorance and stupidity. He has not yet set brush to paper, and his inkstone has gone dry. He had better deal with the memorial first of all; if he is late with the other thing then it is only he who will suffer for it. He manages to instruct a messenger to take it to the Governor, and then retires back to the sanctuary of his room.

He will have to write to his parents as well. How can he possibly explain to them how he has come to lose his post? That at least can wait, but he must do something about the recommendation. He sits at his desk again, trying to find words.

He realises that he cannot see the page in front of him any more - though there is still nothing on it - and gets up to light a lamp. It ought to be time for dinner, but he is not hungry. He abandons his efforts for the day, but finds that he cannot concentrate on reading any of his books, or on anything else. It it much too early to go to bed, but he lies down anyway, though he does not sleep.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 pm

Days later, once Baozi has submitted is recommendation, things in the capital continue at their hectic pace without him. Officially he has no particular duties but he is still a 200-dan officer of the court with all its privileges, whatever his reasons the governor has not ordered him to resign.

At the end of the week, with only ten more days to go before Zou Jing and Liu Bei march south Baozi receives a visitor. It is Xianhe and he is holding Baozi's handwritten recommendation.

"Baozi," the smiling diplomat says, "Do you have a few minutes?"

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:37 pm

He could hardly claim he does not. All his time is his own now, and it is not as though he has much to do with it. He may still be technically an officer of the court but he feels uncomfortable in exercising the privileges of that as though nothing has happened, and so he has kept even more to himself than usual.

Liu Bei's secretary is surely here on Liu Bei's business, and Baozi recognises the document in Xianhe's hands. Which can only mean... He is not sure how he feels about that, but he must not be rude. "Please come in," he replies. Once the necessary pleasantries have been dealt with, he waits for his visitor to speak.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:06 pm

"Thank you," he says as he enters and after a few moments he gets to his reason for being there.

"Colonel Liu wishes to apologize," he says gravely, "he had first recommended Zhang Shiping for appointment months ago without fully knowing the circumstances. At that time Governor Liu rebuffed him and my lord considered the matter finished. Indeed Mister Zhang has already left for Xianbei for the foaling season and would not return south again until fall under normal circumstances."

He goes on to explain that Mister Zhang is a relative of Yide and is in charge of looking after the family farm now that Yide is a captain serving Colonel Liu.

"Naturally the Colonel is disheartened that this misfortune has befallen you as such a hectic time when skilled men are needed most. It is not much, and as you have said you are not experienced, but Colonel Liu would like for you to accompany him south as his adviser in military affairs."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:33 am

"Oh. I... I see."

Baozi is taken aback. He had been all ready to remain hurt, but Xianhe conveys Colonel Liu's apology and explanation so that he cannot fail to see sense. He looks away, feeling his cheeks flush: he has been most unfair in thinking ill of Liu Bei over this.

The second portion of his visitor's speech is more troublesome. His first instinct is delight: he likes Liu Bei, now that he is reconciled by this conversation; and moreover, his manner is such that he is easier to be unafraid of than a great many people. He asks Baozi to be his military adviser, which would certainly be most interesting. And of course, he is in need of a new position. To find one so quickly and easily, and one that seems so ideal for him, is more than he could have dared hope for.

And yet he is uncertain. He is indeed without any experience in such things, and from what Xianhe has said he fears the Colonel's request may be made more out of pity than anything.

He must answer.

"I do not know." He does not meet his visitor's eyes. "I am sorry. This is unexpected, I must think. I... I shall give you my answer by tomorrow."

He thinks long and hard on it that evening. The following morning, he seeks out Jian Yong as early as he reasonably can, lest his resolve fail. "Xianhe," he says, forcing himself to look at him and to smile. He takes a few deep breaths and finally says, slightly too fast, "May I ask you to give my thanks to Colonel Liu, and to say that- that I should be very pleased to accept his kind request."

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:36 am

Jian Yong is very pleased to hear that Baozi changed his mind and conveys it immediately to Liu Bei.

The following day the Colonel calls all of his captains and advisers together. Notable for his absence is Junyou and no one seems to know why until some hours later when they hear that he received a letter from Lu Bu and left at once with his company.

This leaves Liu Bei with 3 captains (Yunchang, Yide and Wenchang)and 2 advisers (Xianhe and Baozi).

In the room they have a map of the area from Ji to Dongyuan. The country is largely hills with some tree beyond which is deep forest to the west and rising toward the coastal mountains in the east.

Liu Bei gestures to the map and says "General Zou has informed me that we will lead the vanguard along the line of march. We have 600 light infantry with pikes, spears and shields and padded coats and caps. We have 200 archers with shortbows as well as 100 with light crossbows, and 100 light cavalry whom I am hoping to acquire better armor, but the bureaucracy is slow and industrial output is maxed out."

"With three captains and myself we must divide this force into four companies and we must enlist additional administrators and clerks and an experienced quartermaster. Please tell me you thoughts on these matters."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:52 am

Wenchang speaks up first. "The infantry being the largest, it should be divided into two equal forces, each led by one of us. Group the archers together into another company of 300 led by a third. If no one has any objections I request to head the cavalry, as I have led a mounted force so far, but I will do my best with the company that is assigned to me.

"As for the other issue, Du Zhiteng Dewang comes to mind. He is Lu Bu's chief administrator, but as the General is presently away fighting the rebels, I do not think he would mind joining us. He readily secured supplies for my new recruits even in this time of rush, when everyone from everywhere wants armour and weapons for their men. His sorcery is a further benefit which, if put to use in a proper manner, would be a force to reckon with. I know of no better quartermaster"

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

PreviousNext