[Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: [Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

Postby Scarik » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Xianhe chuckles at Dewang's question, "Indeed Yide can be ill tempered, especially at insults to Lord Liu. Did you not know about the time he nearly throttled Baozi over the perceived insult by Governor Liu Yan?"

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:19 pm

"I was there," answers Dewang, frowning at the memory. "The fellow was shaking like a leaf. I got him away as soon as I could."

He looks over at Zhang Fei, who is still arguing with the Colonel. "You seem quite used to it. How long have you known him?"

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Scarik » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:27 pm

"Not long," Jian Yong says, "We met this very year when Lord Liu raised his army."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:59 pm

"Only a year?" asks Dewang, privately wondering how long this group will last. "You were with the Colonel before him, then?"

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:02 pm

Baozi is not perturbed by Dong Zhuo's lack of thanks: there are far more unpleasant things to have happen than to be ignored.

When Zhang Fei begins to make furious threats, although his anger is not directed at him, Baozi falls more silent than usual and does not look up. No doubt Colonel Liu will calm him, since Yide is never apt to refuse his eldest brother anything, but Baozi daren't speak up against him, though he agrees with Wenchang. They cannot simply attack another of the Emperor's servants because he is unpleasant.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Scarik » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:46 pm

Jian Yong nods and finishes his wine, "Indeed. I met Lord Liu in the capital when he learned from Minister Lu Zhi. Were assistants, hardly even functionaries then. TO think of how far we have come." He pours Dewang and himself more wine and toasts, "To the Han."

Meanwhile Guan Yu has also risen and soon enough Liu Bei stands up as well.

"Dong Zhuo bears the Imperial Commission. His rank was given to him by the Emperor Himself. Who are we to judge him and deal out his end?"

Zhang Fei growls once more and then sighs, "It is too bitter to take orders from such a wretch. You may stay here but I will find another way."

“We three are one in life and in death; there is no parting for us. We will all go hence,” says Liu Bei and Zhang Fei immediately calms down knowing he has his wiser brothers' support.

Liu Bei then turns to Wei Yan, "Wenchang, who did you mean when you suggested we go elsewhere for allies?"

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:00 am

Dewang toasts, suppressing a laugh at the man's complete lack of reaction to Zhang Fei's murderous ravings.

Which, thank Heaven, seem to have subsided under his brothers' coaxing. He is pleased to see Liu Bei asking for Wenchang's advice, and listens carefully, ready to back up his friend.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:10 am

"We were originally stationed in Bingzhou," Wenchang indicates himself and Dewang. "The governor, Ding Yuan is a capable fighter, as good an administrator, and a righteous man besides. His adopted son Lu Bu is also a most fearsome warrior, as you must have seen by now." But careless of what's right and wrong, Wenchang thinks uneasily.

He continues, "Yide is right in that it is useless to stay here. Between the Imperial Commander and Zhang Jue and the sheer number of rebel forces, I do not think we will be able to make much headway against them at this time. I would reach out to Governor Ding. Along with him, Colonel Song and General Lu we will have a much better chance."

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sun May 20, 2018 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Scarik » Wed May 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Liu Bei considers a moment, "Governor Ding seems like a good choice for our next stop. Fengxian said before we left that he was heading to Hangu, we shall leave tonight."

And so they set out in the dark to camp away from Dong Zhuo so that they can easily march west in the morning. They do not go unnoticed but they are not challenged either.

Li Ru says to Dong Zhuo, "Father Liu Bei has deserted," to which the Imperial Commander says "Who is Liu Bei?" Li Ru contains his disbelief and says 'No one of consequence' without conviction. But Dong Zhuo just nods and continues his breakfast.

In the open plains of Wei Liu Bei makes good time. There are no rebels there, but war makes many bandits.

"It is sad to see the land in such turmoil," Liu Bei remarks. "This Heaven for heroes is one thousand Hells for the people."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed May 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Baozi follows his nose.

After they had set up the new camp, he took his leave of the other officers as soon as he decently could, claiming tiredness, and heading straight to his tent. Having made his transformation in privacy, he slipped out again and padded silently through the camp in the darkness.

He first sought out the area where the Bei Ye children were quartered. He had not had any time for Li Yu today, but he could at least check on him now. The child was very nearly asleep, but when the little cat approached him he stirred and reached out, a smile on his face. Baozi gently butted his forehead which made Yu laugh, as usual, and lay down beside him to be embraced and tickled behind the ears. He was a gentle boy and had quickly learned - with only a very occasional warning growl - not to pull the cat’s tail or rub its fur the wrong way, and it was perfectly alright to be playful and affectionate with a child, even if he didn’t know his feline companion’s real identity.

It was not long before Yu was fully asleep. Baozi got up carefully to avoid disturbing him, and wandered around the camp a while, keeping his eyes and ears open for anything of interest.

The cat’s sensitive nose caught the scent, and found it irresistible, and Baozi has no desire to stop the animal-spirit from having its way. He lets his true, human mind wander as he follows it to its source.

The plant has been broken not long ago - no doubt by a soldier’s booted feet during the move of the camp - releasing its scent into the air. Cat-Baozi sniffs at it, bats at one of the still-upright stems with his forepaws, and then flops onto his side as he succumbs to the effects of the drug. He rolls over on top of the plant, snapping and bruising more of it, filling the air with that smell, arching his back and purring like a far-off earthquake.

In his ecstasy, he does not notice De Wang, who is still up and about, walking in the night air as he usually does.

De Wang pauses to watch the cat, smiling. It looks quite comical. He approaches it, then pauses.

Hasn’t he seen that cat, prowling through Xiadu? And in the gardens outside the Governor’s palace?

He kneels beside it, rubbing the fur behind its ears as he had before. It seems much more relaxed this time, but that might be only the catnip.

It appears the same as any ordinary farm or house cat, and is certainly acting like any other cat. Well, any other drunken cat. He shifts a little, and focuses on its chi - then pulls his hand back as if it had been burned.

This is no cat.

“Who are you?” he asks aloud.

Baozi presses his head against De Wang’s hand, in his intoxication not thinking of the impropriety of behaving like this, only the pleasure of it. The sorcerer shifts position and suddenly his touch feels different. Baozi is too distracted to think anything of it, until De Wang snatches his hand away and speaks sharply.

Baozi comes abruptly back to his senses, his human mind focussing and cutting through the cat’s daze. He freezes where he lies. De Wang knows. He will know that Baozi has been disrespectful by behaving like an animal, and worse, he will surely remember the night he unburdened his heart to the cat in Ji, and know that Baozi took advantage of him by listening. He will think that he set out to spy on him.

But he does not know it is Baozi, not yet. The right thing to do, no doubt, would be to transform back, here, answer his friend’s question, and beg his forgiveness. But how can he explain? There is only one other option. He gets to his feet, forcing the cat to ignore its desire to stay here, in the pure pleasure of the catnip smell, and bolts.

De Wang scrambles to his feet and stares after the cat. For a moment he thinks of trying to catch it, but there is no hope of that now, not after the animal - no, the other sorcerer - has a headstart in the dark. He tries to follow him with his mind, but can catch on nothing.

This could be the end of them. Who knew the Yellow Scarves’ powers were so wide? De Wang hesitates, then walks swiftly towards Baozi’s tent. His friend is not there, but no doubt he will return in a few minutes, at this late hour. He waits, his heart pounding.

Baozi has better sense than to run directly for his tent. If by any chance De Wang should follow and keep up with him, he might see the cat there, and know the whole truth. He heads off in a different direction until he is sure that he is not being pursued, and then turns his path towards his quarters, while looking for a private spot. He finds a clump of bushes, large enough to conceal him even in his real form, slips into the middle of it, and walks out a bare few minutes later restored to human shape.

De Wang is waiting at his tent, looking worried. Baozi feels a pang of guilt.

“De Wang, are you alright?” he asks, disingenuously.

“Yes,” answers De Wang. “But come inside. This is serious.” When they are within Baozi’s tent, he lowers his voice.

“I believe there is a spy in our camp.” When Baozi does not immediately respond, he continues, “I saw a cat, but it wasn’t a cat. It was some sorcerer in disguise. He ran away before I could catch him, but he could be anywhere now. We should report this to Colonel Liu at once!”

“Oh!” This is worse than Baozi had realised. Not only will De Wang have every right to hate him for his behaviour, if he does learn the truth, but if he doesn’t, he will raise a false alarm, cause no end of trouble, and when it does eventually come out, it will not only be De Wang who is angry with him. He must tell him. “I…” He cannot bring himself to confess. “Are you sure?”

“Baozi, I know magic when I see it.”

“I…” Baozi stares down at his feet, not daring to meet his friend’s eyes. “I… we must not be too hasty. I… I do not know if…” This is ridiculous. De Wang is perfectly in the right: they must raise the alarm if there was an unknown sorcerer in the camp. The only reason not to would be knowing that it was not an enemy. “I’m sorry.” He falls silent, unable to offer any more explanation, and waits to see what De Wang will do.

De Wang stares for a moment. “You’re sorry?” He knows his friend is awkward at times, but Baozi is always cool-headed in a crisis. His reaction makes no sense.

Unless…

He remembers a story Baozi had once told him, about his ancestor who climbed the mountains as a leopard. He’d been interested in magic…

“Baozi?”

“I…” He knows, or guesses, for sure. But then, what difference can it make to admit it. “It... the cat… it was me. I am sorry.”

“It was you?” De Wang breathes a sigh of relief, and looks at his friend in complete astonishment. “And you kept it hidden. I never even suspected!”

He laughs. “Have you always been able to do it? Did you learn? Can you turn into other creatures as well? How is it done?” He almost seizes Baozi’s arm in his excitement, before remembering how much his friend hates that. “Oh, I have so many questions!”

Is it possible De Wang is not angry? He has every right to be. Baozi finally looks up, trying to judge his reaction. “I’m sorry. I meant no harm. I only meant to get away by myself for a bit. But the catnip… I forgot myself. I should not have behaved like that to you.” He owes him the answers to his questions, though.

“I have been doing it for ten years, since I was a little boy. I learned it from my ancestor’s spirit. I… I told you about him once before, when we first met. I’m sorry that I kept it from you. It has always been my secret. And then once I knew you better, I could not boast of my one poor little trick to a master magician such as you. And…” Can he have forgotten about the evening in the garden at Ji? “And I had already let you think I was a cat, and taken advantage, and behaved terribly.” He is talking too fast now, “I promise, I never set out to listen. I didn’t even mean to run into you, and then you started talking, and I could not just leave, and you would have expected the cat to behave like a cat...” He stops, hanging his head again.

“Oh!” De Wang stops, and suddenly feels a little shy. So it had been Baozi that night, comforting him in the form of a cat, when he had been pushing all human beings away…

“I should thank you,” he says softly.

“Thank me!? You… are not angry?”

“Why should I be angry? You… I… you were only being a good friend.” He smiles. “And I confess, you thoroughly fooled me.”

Baozi looks up. De Wang appears to be completely sincere. “You will not tell anyone? I don’t want everyone to know.” He laughs nervously, “I couldn’t use it to hide, when I don’t want to see people, if they did.” He tries and fails to stifle a yawn.

“No, no, of course not,” says De Wang. “I’ll make sure to gather catnip for you, though,” he adds, smirking. “But you’re tired. I’ll pester you with questions tomorrow.” He bids his friend good night, and steps outside.

It really is very late indeed. The night air is chilly.

So Baozi can transform into a cat! Under his very nose, as well. He smiles. He has underestimated his quiet friend.

Another stray runs past him, and he finds himself hastily examining it, ensuring it is only a cat. Of course it is. But the thought is still disturbing. If Baozi can do this undetected, perhaps the enemy can as well…

The Yellow Scarves are all sorcerers, and the Imperial troops are struggling even against their pitiful foot-soldiers when the Zhang brothers and their disciples reveal their powers. He is the only one here capable of opposing them. But perhaps there could be others.

It is still later, when he looks up from his reverie. The soldiers are nearly all asleep, and one of the guards he sees is nodding off. The camp is as quiet as it can ever be.

De Wang continues on his walk.

As much Kiv's work as mine.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Kivutar » Thu May 03, 2018 4:42 am

A night or so later.

When Zhang Jun steps inside, he sees that Ren Lin and Xian Jingyi are already there, sitting towards the back of the tent. “You’re early,” he says, and Lin looks up from the scroll he is reading by the light of a small oil lamp. “As are you.”

Jun sits nearer the entrance, on Jingyi’s side. “Miss Fuli, is your brother around?”

“Some of the children had questions for him,” she answers. She is fiddling with the other lamp, and it casts a soft glow on her face.

Jun nods, and the flap opens again as Long He ducks in.

“Even you, early?” says Lin, and He laughs and stretches out on the ground. “Come on, it was once.” He pushes his head up to Lin and peers at his scroll. “Xufeng, whatcha reading? The Nine Chapters? Boring.”

Lin smiles and holds out a cup of nuts to He, who cracks a few enthusiastically. “Anyone know what’s going on?” he says, with his mouth full.

Jun shrugs, and Lin shakes his head. “You’ll get hot oil in your face if you aren’t careful,” says Jingyi, and she exchanges her lamp for Lin’s and starts trimming its wick.

Kun finally joins them, slipping in beside his sister. “Zaitian, behave yourself. What if he comes in and sees you lolling around like that?”

“We’ve got plenty of time,” He yawns, “And I saw him talking to the big cavalry captain. He’ll be late for sure.” But he sits up nonetheless.

“Any idea what’s going on?” Jun asks, and Kun shakes his head. “I only know what you know. He just said he wants to see us, that’s all.”

“He’s a strange one,” says Lin, rolling up his scroll carefully.

“I’ll say,” says Jun, helping himself to some of Lin’s nuts and passing them towards Kun and his sister. “Starting a school in an army camp? Who would think of that?”

“They’re orphans, he’s a officer?” suggests Kun. He passes the nuts to Jingyi without taking any.

“Better than scratching out reports for some wealthy jackass,” adds He, and kicks Lin.

“But right here, following the soldiers?”

“Maybe it’s a sage thing,” suggests He, and Jun snorts. “Him? A sage?”

“He’s powerful,” says Jingyi quietly.

Jun leans back, his eyes flickering toward the entrance. “And how do we know he isn’t up to no good?”

Jingyi looks at him sharply. “He doesn’t mean any harm.”

Lin’s eyes open unusually wide as he glances between the two of them. “What makes you say that?”

“I’m not saying anything,” says Jun, and there is a long pause.

Kun finally breaks it. “Listen, we all work for him now. And he’s been good to us. You don’t have to trust him, Bitong, but it might be wiser to keep your suspicions to yourself.”

“I don’t suspect anything, in particular,” says Jun. “It’s just - does this seem normal?”

“This is a war,” says Lin. “Nothing is normal.”

“I’d rather be with the sorcerer than… not with him,” He says dubiously. “Did you hear how he stopped the enemy from burning us all? And drove away the ghost army?”

“Yes. But there are other stories too.” Jun glances at the entrance and rests on his elbows. “Don’t get me wrong. I’m here, aren’t I?”

“Bitong, you’ve said more than enough,” says Kun. “He’ll be here any minute.”

Jun looks at the faces of the other four, then subsides.

Everyone is quiet for a minute or two, before He leans over and looks outside. “He’s nowhere in sight,” he announces, and stretches his long legs as far as he can. “There’s no room in here. Cuiying, when were we supposed to be here again?”

“Soon. A few minutes. Just be patient,” says Kun, and Lin smirks. “That’s what you get for being early.”

Jingyi passes the nuts back to He, and finally puts the lamp on the ground. Lin puts his beside it, and raises the tent fabric in the corner. “Let’s get some more air in here.”

Jun does the same on his side. “Here. Still feels odd, living in tents. Seems like we spend more time traveling than fighting.”

“We’re not doing any fighting,” points out Kun.

“Maybe we will. You never know,” says He, shifting his feet towards the entrance. “All we’ve been doing is teaching, so far.”

“It’s almost as if we were hired as teachers,” says Lin mildly.

“By a sorcerer, in the midle of a war,” adds Jun, and laughs. “And it’s been almost boring!”

“Wishing you’d stayed in Dongyuan to fight off pirates and the thugs who worked with them?” says He, and Kun looks up from the lamps at that. “Dongyuan was becoming unsafe for decent people.”

“So unsafe you left to follow the army?” asks Jun, and Jingyi touches her brother’s arm as he turns. “We’ve barely seen the fighting. It isn’t so bad,” she says hastily.

Jun looks at her, but says nothing.

“It was an opportunity,” says Kun, after a moment.

“That it was,” agrees Jun. “I needed a new position.”

“I needed a new boss!” says He.

“I needed you to stop complaining about the old one,” says Lin.

“Well, you certainly found a different one, all right,” chuckles Jun.

“Speaking of which,” says Kun suddenly, and they hear footsteps outside.

Du Zhiteng Dewang raises the flap very softly, and they turn to face him, none saying a word. “Ah, you’re all here,” he says, looking at each of them in turn. The entrance closes itself behind him, and the lamps abruptly go out.

Feel free to read too deeply into absolutely anything :P

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sat May 05, 2018 12:40 am

Several days go by and they find themselves at Hangu Pass. For Dewang and Wenchang this is where they began, for the others it is the first time they have seen the imposing, mountain fortress.

Liu Bei's force stops nearby and within a few minutes the gates open and Lu Bu rides out to greet them,

"Little Brother!" Lu Bu exclaims, "What brings us together again so soon?"

Zhang Fei growls and Guan Yu barely holds a neutral face at the greeting. While it is true that Lu Bu is several months Liu Bei's elder neither of the two warriors think it is appropriate to address their Elder Brother so casually.

"Fengxian," Liu Bei responds equally as casually, "I fear that my forces have been poorly used in the east and so I have come to pledge myself and my officers to your father."

Lu Bu doesn't even notice how Yunchang and Yide hate him and and smiles, "That is excellent, Xuande. Come and let us meet my father."

And so they enter the fortified town and encamp their forces among those of Bingzhou while Liu Bei goes to meet with Governor Ding.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:03 am

As there are no orders for now, Wenchang sees to it that the cavalry is settled in, and then go sees Dewang.

"I'm going to go greet our former superior Captain Dang Fu. I don't know if you ever got as acquainted with him outside work, but he and I are old friends. Would you like to come?"

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sun May 20, 2018 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sat May 05, 2018 4:23 am

"Oh," says Dewang, then stops.

"I, er... perhaps not. It would be, difficult, you know? Poor fellow... with his wife, and, er... Captain Liang..."

He shakes his head. "I wouldn't know what to talk about."

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:26 am

"What? His wife? What are you talking about?" Wenchang steps closer.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

PreviousNext