[Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: [Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

Postby Kivutar » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:20 am

Dewang looks on the embers of Bei Ye in silence, the cries still ringing in his ears.

He had thought of this mission as a problem to be solved, a move in this long game they were playing with the Yellow Scarves. He wasn't prepared to see the villagers being cut down in droves as they fled, some of them with clothes and hair on fire.

He is a fool.

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:50 pm

It will be only a matter of years before another town like it rises up in Bei Yei's place, or somewhere nearby, thinks Junyou. The position it enjoyed is too valuable to the regional commerce to let a little thing like three thousand charred corpses keep it abandoned. Towards that end, Junyou has taken it on himself to oversee a modest beautification program. Three hundred children were all that was left of the town's inhabitants, and he was more than happy to feed them so long as they worked for the privelege. They were digging a mass grave now, for those of their siblings and elders who hadn't been buried in ash, but instead hacked and skewered by the Gentlemen as they tried to flee the inferno. A hundred or so looked just about soldier-age, though he doubts more than fifty will remain after the cowardly ones have fled and the weak ones have perished. It is another day yet until General Lu will arrive and see Junyou's great victory for himself. He can decide what to do with the small ones.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Bei Ye burns for days.

The night it begins is as bright as the day that follows though by sunset the fires are scattered and smoldering. From time to time the wind whips an ember up and reignites the pile of ash upon which it sits, and burning debris also moves along relighting others.

Even the ferry burns. There will be no crossing here until high summer when the waters fall. All are trapped on the side of the mighty Huan that they currently occupy.

Back with the Army Wenchang spends a few uneventful days scouting before the general takes him south to view the devastation of Bei Ye. The bulk of the army camps at a crossroad town to the north from which it will turn northeast toward the city of Ji.

When they arrive at the horror that remains of the town Lu Bu laughs out loud and claps, "This is the fate that rebels deserve! Bring me the captain who made this so!"

Junyou is of course already nearby with his captives as is Dewang.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Junyou steps forward to present himself, falling down on one knee. "I have made it so General, with but five gentlemen and a dry northern wind, of Du's summoning, at my back. Yet I am no captain."

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 pm

From behind the cheering General, Wenchang quietly takes in the scene. The land has been systematically reduced to waste, and not a single soul has survived save for some three hundred children gathered nearby. He spares a look at the equally silent Dewang, but turns away before the man can meet his eyes.

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sun May 20, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Kivutar » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:33 am

Dewang stands silently, glad that for the moment he has not caught the attention of the General.

He spots Wenchang in the crowd, but his friend does not look at him.

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:07 am

Lu Bu keeps his focus on Junyou and hardly seems aware of much else.

"Technicalities soon remedied," he says dismissively, "Now rise and ready your forces to follow me. We make for Ji in Youzhou immediately to join the Imperial Army of the North."

This comes as news to both Dewang and Wenchang. They were expecting to continue east but there must have been new correspondence while Dewang was away with Junyou.

The General then turns to find Dewang and says, "Administrator, send a letter to the Governor recommending Liang Ju for captaincy."

It will take them a week to reach Ji.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:36 am

Later that night, Dewang wanders through the camp, searching. He's drunk. He'd thought it might help. He'd been wrong.

Finally, he tracks Wenchang down and forces him to turn around.

"Wenchang, I - I didn't think -"

He catches the other's eye and quails. That isn't working.

"There were so many, and he said -"

No, not that either.

"I only wanted..."

Dewang gives up and stumbles forward, clutching at Wenchang's arm.

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:51 am

Ancestors. Wenchang sighs, and catching hold of Dewang, looks around. Better if as few people as possible notice the administrator in his weak moment. Coming to a decision, Wenchang leads the drunken man to his own quarters.

Safely inside the tent, Wenchang makes Dewang drink down an entire jug of water a cup at a time, and then he makes his friend face him.

"I will not pretend to be anything other than angry with this affair Dewang. Yes, they were rebels. Yes, I would like to see them defeated. But not in this way. This is a cruel, cowardly and dishonourable way of handling it!" Wenchang realises he is almost shouting, and lowers his voice, trying to stay calm. "We should be better than this. The army has mustered, and I don't think I have to spell out the reason for it to you.

"Yet I'm more disappointed in you my friend. For all your flaws, I would not have thought you would be a party to this. Your sorcery is incredible, and put to good use, a force to reckon with. That you would use your gifts in such a way... It is disheartening, to say the least.

"I know what you meant to say. You wanted the rebels gone, and did not think what Junyou's "shortcut" would entail. Now that you do understand, perhaps you will be less eager to lend your aid to such plans in the future, yes?" Wenchang stops as he catches sight of Dewang's face. He exhales. "Alright. I'm going to patrol the camp. Sleep here if you wish to tonight. No one need see you in this state." Wenchang gets up and leaves. The ride would allow him to both look out for trouble and clear his head, which he is desperately in need of since witnessing Bei Ye.

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sun May 20, 2018 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Scarik » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:41 am

General Lu Bu immediately treat Junyou as a Captain and assigns him to Colonel Hou Chen's battalion, the same as Wenchang. Thus the two men find themselves once more of the same rank under the same officer. Dewang remains at the center with the General's staff though the General himself spends most of his time riding forward with the Vanguard and speaking with his Colonels.

Over the next week Wenchang continues to lead the outriders while Junyou finds he has little to do at all. His men are infantry and the army is mainly cavalry. The terrain is largely rolling valleys with good roads so while there is one time his force is sent ahead its nothing but watching empty grasses and woods.

And then they come to Ji. The terrain around it and its position is much the same as Jinyang. The city sits on a raised area at the foot of the northern mountains flanked by mountain streams to the west and east and by thick forest to the south beyond which is the main body of the Huan River. The army approaches slowly and by the time they arrive they are shown a good spot to camp beside one of the streams.

Lu Bu leaves Colonel Wei Xu to set camp while he and Hou Chen go into the city. Dewang of course is brought along for there will be hours of documents to handle while Hou Chen selects Wenchang to form the honor guard and Lu Bu himself requests Junyou attend him.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Lu Bu and his honor guard ride through the city toward the palace. While the streets are busy and the squares crowded with merchants and hawkers of all kinds the crowd parts quickly and easily for them. A large part of this is certainly because General Lu doesn't change the trot he set from the beginning. He simply rides ahead on the center of the road and anyone who doesn't get out of the way would simply be trampled.

Fortunately for the populace Wenchang and his men are at the forefront of the party and they shout and push everyone safely aside.

In that manner they reach the palace in the center of the city by mid morning, where they are met by the Governor himself flanked by a hundred attendants and officers.

"Ah, what fortune that the famous Flying General has come to us in this dark hour," Governor Liu Yan proclaims with open arms, "Come, Fengxian, let us speak of matters of state," he concludes using Lu Bu's courtesy name.

"I am honored, Your Excellency," Lu Bu accepts with a formality not common to him.

"Baozi," the governor then says to his secretary, "See that our guests have the finest apartments and then have them join us in the private dining room."

The Governor then turns away while Lu Bu falls unto step subserviently behind him before dozens of guards and attendants flock to them on their way out. Hou Chen, Wenchang, Dewang and Junyou are left behind in the care of the governor's secretary.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:40 am

Dewang looks dully at the Governor's secretary. The man - if you could call him that, as he is very nearly a child - seems quiet and unassuming.

Good. The last thing he needs is some chattering.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:28 am

Baozi turns to the four officers, smiling nervously. It's a few moments before he speaks. "Please, come with me." He leads them in the direction of the palace's best guest apartments.

Governor Liu hasn't asked him personally to attend to guests before, in the half a year that he's been his secretary. Of course, these are Lu Bu's favoured officers: the Governor will want the General's men looked after with every care. He must do everything right.

He ought to make a little conversation, to be polite. Would it be wrong to question them about their campaign? It would be most interesting to learn the latest news about the rebels, but he is not here to indulge his own curiosity, and he mustn't interrogate his master's guests. And now he has walked most of the way without saying a word, it is too late to begin talking now. He hopes he has not offended them: the administrator, whom he might have thought to have more in common with than the other three, does not look very friendly.

He says no more than is necessary as he shows them where they are to stay, and then leaves them to rest.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Kivutar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:16 am

Dewang is shown into an apartment, but as the Governor's secretary leaves, he realizes that he can't bear to be left alone with his own thoughts. Perhaps he can find a distraction. Literature might do.

He steps outside and follows in the secretary's footstep. What was his name again?

"Young man," he says softly, "Can you tell me where the library is?"

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:41 am

Baozi hears footsteps behind him, and then a quiet call that is clearly directed at him. He turns around to see one of the officers he has just left, the one who seemed so unhappy. Of course, he would like to read. He should have asked whether there was anything else the guests wanted.

"Of course," he replies. He hesitates. The man asked for directions, and he wouldn't like to intrude and annoy him, but if he doesn't lead him there, what if the honoured guest should take a wrong turn in an unfamiliar place and get lost? That would be much worse. "Please, let me show you the way."

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

PreviousNext