Writing Contest March 2017! - Closed

Have fun. Win stuff. Do things.

Writing Contest March 2017! - Closed

Postby Kate » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:35 am

Welcome one and all to the TCS Write-Off March 2017!

That's right, we're back! And we've got some slight tweaks that we're going to highlight in bold for you just in case you're a veteran and want to get right to the changes.

This is the place for TCSers to flex their literary muscles, and compete with each other for the most interesting and compelling stories we can come up with.

Let’s go over the rules and how things work:

- Story length is up to 4000 words total (including any asides or additional notes).
- Please include a title for your piece. If you do not choose a title, you are implicitly giving us permission to title your piece whatever we want; "Moldy Bread" "Baby's Feet" "I, {Username}, Love Donald Trump" (Oh yes we would).
- Stories can include images, but are limited to a maximum of three per story.
- All stories must follow the usual TCS rules.
- Instances of plagiarism will not be tolerated, please make sure all works are entirely original.
- The contest will run from March 1st 2017 to March 31st 2017. That's an entire month to write, folks!
- All story submissions must be PM’d to Kate before the end of March 31st, (that is, you should have it in by 23:59 PDT). Any submissions sent after this time will not be included in the contest. Due to recent changes in Kate's home life, the voting won't go live until she wakes up the next morning, but will absolutely go live on April 1st.
- All submissions will be posted by Kate, anonymously, in random order, in a locked thread created for that purpose. All stories will be posted under the TCS Writebot account.
- Stories will be judged by poll created when the thread of stories is posted. Voting will continue for the first week of April, ending on April 8th at 16:00 UTC. That's a little over a week to vote, and a time of day when most TCSers will be awake. The story with the highest vote wins.
- The winning story will be featured on the front page of the site under the name of the winning author. Every story will be kept in the Fridge, and the posters changed to the authors of the story, and the thread unlocked for comment.
- Questions, confusion and disputes will be handled by Kate and Marcuse, please PM them for clarification or to report any problems.

Theme - The theme of this contest will be TCS: Weird? Yes! But we thought this was a good theme to kick off the relaunch of the writing contest, especially since April is our four year anniversary and this means the winning entry will be up and running. There is no conceivable way this could end in tears.

Here are some guidelines, since this is such a vague theme:

- We are all real people behind our usernames; if you mention users, do so in a respectful way. This is not an opportunity to bully, harass, or even poke fun at someone. Because this has so much potential to go south, we will absolutely err on the side of users who do not want to be included and reserve the right to change any identifying information and give you the option of either keeping your story on the site with the changes or pulling your story entirely. This does not mean you cannot make a story about your best TCS friend saving the world, but if they ask us to remove their name, we will. So please be careful to keep this is good, respectful fun. If you're not sure whether someone will appreciate a mention or inclusion, it's never a bad idea to ask them about it in advance.

- In the same vein, do not put any users into sexual situations in your story.

- Does it need to be about people on TCS? Not at all! Something that is distinctly TCS just needs to be involved. It can be a story all about this forum, or it could be someone reading an article that was published on TCS long ago or someone just mentioning they visit this forum. It can even be period appropriate; maybe your characters stumble upon a pub called Ye Olde Commente Fection (I know, I know, I read the article too, just give me this one) or travel to planet USLAE.

- This means it can be basically any genre you want, but keep in mind that we are going to ask people to judge based partially on how well they think TCS was woven into the story.

A note on critique - it is often preferable to seek the critique of other people before posting something to a contest, this is true here. However, for those critiquing, please remember to keep your points constructive and designed to help the author improve their piece. This is advice for private crit, and strongly advised for post-contest comment. We’re meant to be building up here, not tearing down.

The contest will officially begin on the 1st of March, submissions will be due by the end of the day on the 31st of March, and the voting will close on the 8th of April. So what are you waiting for? Get writing!

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Re: Writing Contest March 2017!

Postby reallifegirl » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:46 pm

Ooh, interesting. *rubs hands together and cackles* Even if it doesn't have to be based on actual users, I look forward to the high probability of TCS user fanfiction emerging from this.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Australia » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Kate wrote:In the same vein, do not put any users into sexual situations in your story.

So much for taking the minutes at next week's orgy. Fiction it is.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby sunglasses » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:40 pm

Australia wrote:
Kate wrote:In the same vein, do not put any users into sexual situations in your story.

So much for taking the minutes at next week's orgy. Fiction it is.

*looks at TCS fan-fic and sighs*

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby cmsellers » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:07 pm

What's even the point of writing a story about TCSers if I can't write about JamishT's quest to sleep with every one of Taylor Swift's exes?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:57 am

ALRIGHT YA DUMB DUMBS, I just wrote a story for this thing. First in finishes first, right? Or is that just the rules with Bert's mother, I don't remember. Anyway, I expect lots of great stories to compete with mine, so get on it!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Malfeasinator » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:08 am

The only story idea I could think of for a forum like this would have the theme of "If Twisted Wishes Came True", and that's not the kind of thing I'd want to write. But the idea is free for the taking if anyone else wants it.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:46 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Piter Lauchy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:12 am

I have an idea that I like. Now I just need to do the actual writing.

Posting this so there's more pressure on me to actually do something. Otherwise this idea will go the way of all other ideas I've had: I think about them, sometimes for a really long time, flesh them out more and more and then... never write them down.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:00 am

I have an idea but I'm afraid it might be terribly obvious it's mine.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby cmsellers » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:11 pm

CarrieVS wrote:I have an idea but I'm afraid it might be terribly obvious it's mine.

So what? If I finish the story I started, at least half of TCS will be able to tell I wrote it.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Malfeasinator » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:00 pm

cmsellers wrote:
CarrieVS wrote:I have an idea but I'm afraid it might be terribly obvious it's mine.

So what? If I finish the story I started, at least half of TCS will be able to tell I wrote it.

Is it a story about polls, by any chance?

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:14 pm

Malfeasinator wrote:
cmsellers wrote:

Is it a story about polls, by any chance?

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Kate » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Alright, I've downgraded this from a global announcement to a local one. The good news is this means we can now thumb with abandon until I bump this back up to global a few days before the deadline!

Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep

Re: Writing Contest March 2017! - Friday March 31st Deadline

Postby Kate » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Back up to Global to remind people that this exists while there's still time to get started! "But Kate, this contest has been on all month and I'm just realizing it's here now, do I have time?"

Yes!

There's no minimum word count requirement. There have been several short but sweet entries in the past that have done well, and more than one past winner has been written in just a day.

You can do it and we want to read your story!

Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep

Next