Meta Description. Vote early. Vote often

Have fun. Win stuff. Do things.

Vote for description

Poll ended at Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:36 am

The Comment Section: If the world had a comment section, this would be it.
23%
The Comment Section: Our opinions? Insightful. Our jokes? Delightful! Our members? (Rarely) frightful. Our rhyming? Fair.
19%
The comment section: what else are you going to do, be productive?
24%
The Comment Section: There are lots of comment sections on the web... this is one of them!
9%
The Comment Section: We put the 'wits' in "twits"
16%
Cake
10%

Total votes : 242

Meta Description. Vote early. Vote often

Postby phreestyle » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:36 am

This is it folks, a chance for a member to have internet glory. These are the top five descriptions as chosen by your mods, plus cake of course. You can choose any three. The poll will run for 48 hours from now. So, vote early and vote often.

Major prizes to be won. 15 beautiful rep points, and the pink user name of your choice for an undetermined period of time - because, we never discussed that.

Life's a journey. Enjoy the trip.
phreestyle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Re: Meta Description. Vote early. Vote often

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:42 am

Ello loves. You might be wondering what this even is. Here, let me try and explain to you, as sexily as possible.

HarpingCarp wrote:The theory is, with this description, people will be more likely to click on the link rather than thinking "what is this and why should I care?" and moving on to the many other comment section related goods the internet has to offer....

At the end of the contest, the mods will handpick the 10 best entries and put it on a poll, for you guys to decide!

The winner gets 15 rep points, a coloured user name under the group "Contest Champ", bragging rights to have come up with our meta description and an optional date with the lovely typical_michael*.

Contest ends 23rd April at 23:59 [UTC-5].

*FAKE ADMIN EDIT: We can't vouch for Michael's availability or whereabouts.

A couple things we need to address concerning the contest:

We're commenters, like you. We have a great love for our little community (that's growing every day) and we come here to get a laugh and have a few intimate moments that probably lead to some awkwardness the next morning. We love our inside jokes, the characters that make them, and the website we've made them on.

But this presents a new challenge for anyone who isn't familiar with our community but is curious about it. When we proclaim our love for a man with an ass for a face, we find that hysterical because we all know Butts. But believe it or not, there are some not shun-worthy people out there who don't. If anything, we'd like to get them in here so they can meet him, and us, and you.

We also really can't use anything resembling another website's tagline, as this opens up all new kinds of issues, legal or otherwise. Besides the risk of litigation, we would hope, as we're sure you would, that this community is gradually taking on a life of its own. Our ties to Cracked, for example, will never be broken, since it's the site that brought us all together. But now that we're here, and just now finding out what we all actually look like, our future is a little more uncertain. The Internet has a way of changing things rapidly, much faster than the real world to be sure.

These are things we'd wish we'd taken into account earlier on, and now we have a contest with a bunch of awesome, hilarious taglines, and some of them we probably can't use. What to do? It's hardly fair to you to just discard them.

Instead, the contest now has two winners. One will be handpicked by judging among the moderators and administrators, the one that seems to be the most effective at pulling Internet traffic. The other has already been handpicked by you, using our no longer shiny (you guys really like using this thing!) rep system. The winner of the first contest will be used as a metadata line for search engines, and the second will be emblazoned along our banner at the top of our home page! Whatever the case, there will be all kinds of extra rep and delicious pink text for the winners!

For a lot of us here at TCS, this is the first time we've ever tried to administrate a site, and it's definitely more rewarding than demanding. We just want to make sure everyone enjoys what they get here, and gets to keep enjoying that as time goes on. We're ever so grateful to you for being a part of this community, and for making our jobs so easy.

TCS Staff

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby jayman419 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:59 pm

MMmmmm .... delicious cake.

Even after all this time, the Sun never says to the Earth "You owe me".
Look what happens with a love like that... it lights the whole sky.
~Hafiz
jayman419
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:14 am

As the winner of the popular vote in this contest who, unfortunately, didn't get picked as a finalist, I'd like to put all my weight behind "We put the wit in twits" and "What else are you going to do, be productive?"

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby JamesT » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:15 pm

I'd also like to mention that the winner of both the popular vote and the poll vote gets a fancy medal* to do what they please with. Put a tiny version in your sig! Put it in your avatar! Put it in your car!

*Users found wearing the fancy medal who have not won a contest will be shot on sight.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby Learned Nand » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:30 pm

I think I will put it in my signature! And now I also put a medal in my avatar.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby JamesT » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:05 am

Poll's almost over! The first option is the best! (don't let me influence you, my taste is biased and terrible)

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby bayonet » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:31 am

The third option is the best!!(This opinion is meant to influence you)

Winner of meta-description contest by poll.

Having a point is over-rated.
bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:51 am

Hey cool, now I'm also purple colored.

And it's because I'm part of the group "Champion!"

*starts singing Queen*

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby bayonet » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Wow... guess I won, well I would like to thank the TCS staff and most of all the TCS commentators for making this happen,thank you... *goes backstage* hey where is my medal you dingbats, sigh...hey aviel, lets go make fun of the commoners..

Winner of meta-description contest by poll.

Having a point is over-rated.
bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:14 am

bayonet wrote:hey aviel, lets go make fun of the commoners..

I think our fuchsia names sufficiently speak to the humorous ineptitude of the masses.

Also congratulations. The only person who deserves it more than you is me.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep