Writing Contest - Post-Apocalypse/Dystopia - WINNER!

Have fun. Win stuff. Do things.

Re: Writing Contest - Post-Apocalypse/Dystopia - WINNER!

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Anyone know when the next contest is?

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:25 pm

Cpt._Funkotron wrote:Anyone know when the next contest is?

We tend to leave some time between them to make sure people don't burn out, but if there's demand for it I can run one soon. If you'd like a new contest within the next couple of weeks or so, thumb this post. It's the only way I can do a straw poll without making a new thread. Honest.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:42 am

First off, congrats to Creepy on the win!

I guess I'll talk about my story, because this band wagon seems nice. I forgot when the deadline was, so I was rushed to wrap it up from when the character gets on to the clearly German boat. To me, the feedback said that I didn't really explain the world very well, and that's totally valid.

Basically in Maybelline's world, plastic is currency, dudes get...um...tended to every day, but babies are only made by artificially inseminating specific women. I thought about going more into those last two things, but then I didn't. I wanted to show that the society was kinda sorta civilized, and some were trying to make it better like in the days of "the Ancients" (aka, us). I thought it would be funny to name everyone after current corporations, and it would keep me from having to pull names out of thin air. Also, the Germans were on a large yacht in my mind, and they've already figured the whole motors and civilization thing out.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:00 pm

JamishT wrote:To me, the feedback said that I didn't really explain the world very well, and that's totally valid.

Basically in Maybelline's world, plastic is currency, dudes get...um...tended to every day, but babies are only made by artificially inseminating specific women. I thought about going more into those last two things, but then I didn't. I wanted to show that the society was kinda sorta civilized, and some were trying to make it better like in the days of "the Ancients" (aka, us)...
The Germans were on a large yacht in my mind, and they've already figured the whole motors and civilization thing out.

To me, the first part of that all came through perfectly, and I found it really interesting. But I had interpreted the German (although I didn't peg the nationality) boat as being part of an existing, pre-apocalypse civilisation, meaning that in some parts of the world it hadn't all collapsed, they'd just lost contact with the parts that had. On reflection I may have underestimated the timescale.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Marcuse » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Okay, I'll start up a poll on a new topic. It's great that people are interested in the writing comps again!

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10698&p=261267#p261267

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Previous