U.S. military launches missile attack on Syria

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

U.S. military launches missile attack on Syria

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:52 am

In response to the recent use of chemical weapons, Trump ordered over 50 tomahawk missiles to be launched at a Syrian air base. Trump issued a statement imploring other countries to follow suit (obviously from his Florida compound, because no responsible President actually stays in the fucking White House to execute acts of war).

So we are basically at war with Syria now. I have no strong opinion on whether intervention in response to the attacks was right or not, but no matter what the fuck else happens, no matter what he screws up or how low his approval sinks or how much legal trouble he gets in barring outright impeachment, this guarantees that Trump is reelected, because a sitting president in wartime never loses reelection. And that's what he's wanted all along.

As always: we're fucked.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: U.S. military launches missile attack on Syria

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:05 am

Remember when Trump supporters said Clinton's Syria policy would send us into World War 3?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

The ball's in Russia's court, now.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:08 am

If Putin actually puts his money where his mouth is and responds in kind against US forces, I don't care what marigold man-child is at the helm, I'm enlisting the first chance I get.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:11 am

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:Remember when Trump supporters said Clinton's Syria policy would send us into World War 3?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

The ball's in Russia's court, now.

I realize that this was probably a massive strategic screw up on this country's part, but I'm really hoping that all we did was call Russia's bluff. Just, please, let this be one of those things that we stumble into with good results. Let this just be a game of Roulette where we don't get our head blown to bits.

Last edited by Krashlia on Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:13 am

In Trump's defense: his popularity ratings have been pretty pathetic recently.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:22 am

I was mostly being pedantic about World War 3. There's a good chance that Russsia is not interested in going to war over Syria in the same way we're probably not interested in going to war with China over Taiwan. Cost-benefit analysis.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:25 am

6d94e000da5c0ceba4a64692ca1b0986b40e580f4607f234e3dee98ce2d0f529 (1).jpg
6d94e000da5c0ceba4a64692ca1b0986b40e580f4607f234e3dee98ce2d0f529 (1).jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 6132 times

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Kivutar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:30 am

Assad is such a raging hemorrhoid that this might theoretically be the right thing to do. But Trump is definitely going to screw it up bigly.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby cmsellers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:33 am

The funny thing is, I feel like this actually might be the right call. It responds to a violation of international law by Syria by taking out the facility they used to launch the chemical weapons attack. It's a tit-for-tat response which doesn't have to lead to our full-scale intervention (and I'm not necessarily opposed to us conducting air strikes as we did in Libya anyways). It may also send a message to North Korea that we don't fuck around.

But the very fact Trump made this decision makes me suspect it was probably the wrong one, though for the moment I can't see why.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:45 am

http://www.pollingreport.com/syria.htm

The public really isn't big on a war in Syria over their use of chemical weapons on their own civilians. I'm also seeing a surprising amount of pushback from the right on this--not from the establishment, obviously, but from rank-and-file Trump voters.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:49 am

Crimson847 wrote:http://www.pollingreport.com/syria.htm

The public really isn't big on a war in Syria over their use of chemical weapons on their own civilians. I'm also seeing a surprising amount of pushback from the right on this--not from the establishment, obviously, but from rank-and-file Trump voters.

I wish.

You really don't think Trump's supporters will change their minds if Trump says it's a good idea?

I already saw at least one Trump supporter on the comments of The Atlantic blame Obama.
thanks obama.png
I'd have thought it was a parody if they hadn't posted many, many other non-parodic comments.
thanks obama.png (127.6 KiB) Viewed 6115 times

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:30 am

I wonder what you'd say if I posted one comment from a Democrat in a comment section and used that to extrapolate the beliefs of all Democrats.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:38 am

My point is that Trump's supporters have found a justification to support or excuse everything he's done. That was just an example of one of them doing it again now.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:48 am

I've got no problem with tactical strikes against Assad as long as we don't try to go nation-building again.

KleinerKiller wrote:So we are basically at war with Syria now. I have no strong opinion on whether intervention in response to the attacks was right or not, but no matter what the fuck else happens, no matter what he screws up or how low his approval sinks or how much legal trouble he gets in barring outright impeachment, this guarantees that Trump is reelected, because a sitting president in wartime never loses reelection. And that's what he's wanted all along.

The US has a proud tradition of launching Tomahawks as a tactical action without starting a full-scale war. We 'Hawked the Houthis in Yemen just last year and I bet you hadn't heard about it until just now.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:56 am

Absentia wrote:The US has a proud tradition of launching Tomahawks as a tactical action without starting a full-scale war. We 'Hawked the Houthis in Yemen just last year and I bet you hadn't heard about it until just now.

My dad retired from the Navy last year as a Senior Chief and a few of his men were involved in that strike, so yes, I did in fact know of it before now. This strikes me as very different in terms of target, intent, the sheer amount of missiles (5 vs. 59), and the impulsive, tyrannical manbaby who's giving the orders.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Next