U.S. military launches missile attack on Syria

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: U.S. military launches missile attack on Syria

Postby Absentia » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:10 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:This isn't news! America uses the worst bomb in their arsenal to make tiny dents in a tyrants air strip. In other news, wife has sex with husband.

Think of it as a warning shot. I'm fairly certain Assad isn't stupid enough to think we couldn't do worse if he crosses the line again.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:38 am

Assad is probably smart enough to realize that Putin would intervene if the US does something that actually threatens his regime, and probably knows that the US knows that. So I wouldn't be surprised if he views this as a dog barking angrily from behind a very solid fence, like Obama's "red line" but with more noise and bluster.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:34 pm

I watched the UN Security Council's emergency meeting yesterday, and I have to say that my mind's a bit eased. Britain, France, Japan, Italy, a Western-friendly African country and our Arab partners (the usual suspects, in other words) were like "We got your back, yo," while Russia bitched and complained on the other side of the table.

After all the worry of whether Trump's foreign policy would see us being unreasonably friendly to a hostile Russia, it's nice to see the UN kinda breaking down to the usual factions. Not perfect, but at least it's a familiar stability.

NathanLoiselle wrote:This isn't news! America uses the worst bomb in their arsenal to make tiny dents in a tyrants air strip. In other news, wife has sex with husband.

Bombing people is the way America says hello when we feel a bit neglected.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:01 am

The airfield is already back up and running, per CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/08/middleeas ... ald-trump/

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:12 am

Spoiler: show

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:35 pm

Screenshot_20170409-092025.jpg
Screenshot_20170409-092025.jpg (770.34 KiB) Viewed 5287 times

Glad I found this helpful infograph to explain the situation.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Piter Lauchy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:53 pm

I'm putting my money on the Dutch biker gangs.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby cmsellers » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:37 am

I just need to share this picture of Erdoğan telling Putin to cut the crap in Syria, because it's hilarious and I will probably use it for a meme at some point.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby RaceProUK » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:36 am

cmsellers wrote:use it for a meme

Like this?
1mzjd4.jpg
1mzjd4.jpg (89.84 KiB) Viewed 5187 times

RaceProUK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Irishjava » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:49 pm

"Prepare to be emancipated, from your own inferior genes!"
-Abradolf Lincler
Irishjava
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:01 pm

Brian Williams is in love with the missile attack.

We see these beautiful pictures at night from the decks of these two U.S. Navy vessels in the Eastern Mediterranean. I am tempted to quote the great Leonard Cohen: ‘I’m guided by the beauty of our weapons.’ And they are beautiful pictures of fearsome armaments making what is, for them, a brief flight over this airfield.

If only Cohen was alive to see this...

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:38 am

Screenshot_20170410-193608.jpg
Screenshot_20170410-193608.jpg (672.67 KiB) Viewed 5103 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:40 am

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:
Spoiler: show

Johnson never said he didn't know where Aleppo was; he said he didn't know what a leppo was.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby blehblah » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:48 pm

cmsellers wrote:Johnson never said he didn't know where Aleppo was; he said he didn't know what a leppo was.

Mother never talked about Leppo...

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Irishjava » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:00 pm

I'm very conflicted on what to feel. On the one hand, I really want Assad out. I want to intervene, as I've wanted to for 4 years. Syria has probably the greatest moral failing of the global community in a decade, and I want to see us do something substantial.

On the other hand, I absolutely do not trust the Trump administration to have an actual, unified, long term strategy in Syria. We can depose Assad, sure, but then what? Does anybody think Trump is considering what an international war crimes commission or a reconciliation government might look like? Fuck no. A couple generals might, but they're probably not on the same page with the other half of the admin. Depose Assad, and then watch Alaouites get hunted down and murdered by increasingly radicalized rebels for a few years. Not a huge improvement unless you've got a "Step 2".

I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck we're trying to do. It has been days, and Trump has not publicly said anything about the strike. No clarification of position, no next steps, no response to the continued use of the airfield and barrel bombings. Waiting was bad, but this "will we or won't we, I'll never tell" bullshit is killing me.

PS: everyone cheering these strikes, up to and including Trump, who has previously advocated non-intervention and the vilification of refugees can FUUUUUUCCCCKKKK THEMSELVES. My Facebook is a cesspool.

"Prepare to be emancipated, from your own inferior genes!"
-Abradolf Lincler
Irishjava
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

PreviousNext