Unreasonable anti-Trump hysteria

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Unreasonable anti-Trump hysteria

Postby Windy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:18 pm

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:everything the far right thinks of what's widely thought to be the far left.

More like everything that anyone who isn't part of the far left thinks of what's widely thought to be the far left.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:56 am

The Atlantic has this, which I'm fairly certain is an example.

Basically, the private contractor who operates a lodge at Shenandoah National Park stock a bunch of wine from local wineries including Trump Wine. One guy who doesn't appear to be a lawyer or anything other than a concerned citizen is adamant that that violates the emoluments clause. To their credit, The Atlantic does do a great job of debunking Snape's claims (yes, that's really random guy's name), then they give him equal time and the last word.

I'm pretty sure I can say with confidence: if making the government spend tens of millions to rent rooms at his own resorts isn't an emolument, this certainly ain't. This isn't news; this is one guy with a conspiracy theory and a respected outlet giving it credence it doesn't merit.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby tinyrick » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:22 am

In the thread about sexual misconduct, I'd posted about an Oklahoma State senator that solicited minors. Some headlines like to really point out he was a county coordinator for the Trump campaign. Trump might have no problem siding with Moore, but it's not like he had anything to do with this. He's not Manafort. He's a really low level member of the campaign who may have shook hands with one of the Trumps.

Thousands of people worked on both campaigns. In a sample size that large, I'm sure you could find a pedophile somewhere in both.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:34 am

cmsellers wrote:Basically, the private contractor who operates a lodge at Shenandoah National Park stock a bunch of wine from local wineries including Trump Wine. One guy who doesn't appear to be a lawyer or anything other than a concerned citizen is adamant that that violates the emoluments clause. To their credit, The Atlantic does do a great job of debunking Snape's claims (yes, that's really random guy's name), then they give him equal time and the last word.

Your article says the guy is a lawyer. "Snape is a senior counsel at the Center for Biological Diversity, an environmental advocacy organization."

If anybody encouraged that hotel to stock Trump Wine it was probably the state tourism board. They love to promote the wineries in that area

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:50 pm

So he's a lawyer in an unrelated field. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:15 pm

So, CIA shared a screenshot of this article, complaining that Trump has no black people among his senior staff now that Omarosa left, and only one in his cabinet.

The thing is, black people make up 13% of the population and 1-4% of college graduates (I cannot find convincing numbers on this), and support the Democrats by a ratio of greater than 9:1. While black college graduates seem more likely to support Republicans than black non-college-graduates, I strongly suspect that black Republicans constitute less than 1% of all college graduates. So Trump has a very limited pool of black people to draw on, and still appointed the two black people he knew personally—Omarosa and Ben Carson—in Carson's case to a position he is appallingly unqualified for.

The complaint is essentially that Trump is not engaged in race-based affirmative action enough: he did not go out of his way to promote black people he does not know personally out of proportion to the pool he is drawing on, and that makes him a bigot. Now, as a white person who opposes race-based affirmative action, it pisses me off that it leads so many people in liberal circles to assume any white person who does so is a bigot. But it also is not something I care about much, so I usually save my strength to pick fights I actually care about. However here it is really annoying for two reasons.

Firstly, Trump actually is a bigot, but if you say: "Look, he doesn't engage in race-based affirmative action to the degree that other presidents do; that means he is a bigot," that suggests you have no actual evidence of his bigotry. It is a bit like saying that Robert Mugabe's Hitler mustache proves he was an evil dictator: he was an evil dictator, but that is extremely underwhelming evidence for it.

Secondly, the issue glosses over a greater problem in the Trump administration: Trump does not promote anyone who does not wholeheartedly agree with him. Both Obama and W. appointed a few members of the opposing party to their cabinets, and the expectation was that Trump would too, likely Democrats in red states like Heidi Heitkamp or Joe Manchin in order to secure their seats for the GOP. And yet Trump could not even bring himself to do that. Trump cannot even stand Republicans who argue with him too much. If Trump had been willing to do the normal thing, he might have scored his party an extra Senate seat or two and would have had a much larger pool of qualified black people to chose from. The fact that he was not is problematic, because it proves that Trump places personal loyalty above all else.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Previous