Your local news

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Your local news

Postby Askias » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:37 pm

Elections for the First Chamber (Senate) yesterday. Not all counted yet, but more than enough. 75 seats.

Election results.jpg
Election results.jpg (96.04 KiB) Viewed 4202 times

Geert Wilders is dead*, long live the new king of the Dutch right: Thierry Baudet.

My dislike for Wilders is well documented at this point. The one 'positive' thing I said about him on several occasions was that he's not as bad as Trump. Well, the universe is not a place for small mercies. Let's welcome the man who thinks climate change is a myth, but saying different races have different intelligence levels is 'just science'.

*Not actually dead, neither biologically nor politically... He's just become a bit too 'established' nowadays. I believe...

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:12 am

Around 8:30 last night we were just watching TV and heard a loud pop. Too loud. I felt it in my chest. Then we heard two loud cracks that I initially thought was gunfire. But the sound was too powerful to be made by anything a person could hold. We look out the windows and see this:

Spoiler: show
4-13 Truck Fire.jpg
4-13 Truck Fire.jpg (86.54 KiB) Viewed 4162 times

That picture was taken across the street from our house. The blaze was incredible. I've seen a house on fire but it didn't have a fuel source like that. Apparently a truck carrying tanks of gas or it was just a big tanker caught fire on the highway. No fatalities amazingly. We went to sleep last night pretty sure that someone had to have died in that mess.

That wasn't even the first wreck of the day either near us. When I got off work yesterday and picked up my son we came upon stopped traffic about 10 cars away from the house. A three car accident had just occurred at the intersection right by us, footsteps from where that picture of the fire would be taken later. Multiple people were taken in ambulances and one person was in a head/neck brace on a stretcher. Crazy day it was yesterday.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:41 am

OK, I no longer live in Austin, but this is too astonishing not to share:

Despite no confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Travis County, the City of Austin decided to declare a "local emergency" and force South by Southwest (SXSW) to cancel.

My reaction is firstly "really?" and secondly "man this sucks for local businesses and for the people who rent their apartments out for the week" and thirdly "I feel strongly vindicated in my decision to vote against Mayor Adler in the last election."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Previous