Your local news

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Your local news

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:33 pm

So apparently there's something called "Texas Muslim Capitol Day," where Muslims organizations from around Texas visit the state capitol. It was picketed two years ago, and so this year, with Trump as president, 1000 people formed a human circle around the Capitol.

Governor Greg Abbot has declared an emergency ban on sanctuary cities in Texas, and gotten himself into a feud with the Sheriff of Travis County, where Austin is located. I hope that in at least one point they get to have a conversation where she tells him "I'm the sheriff in this here town."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:58 am

A farmer back where I grew up got sentenced to 2 years in prison for assaulting employees at a strip club. I looked up the address the article gave, learning that he lived smack in the middle of Amish country, and his lawyer's last name is Crunkilton which is a super common name around there (in fact, most of my family's land borders the Crunkilton's main farm). I find all that hilarious, but I don't expect any of you to understand.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:29 am

Austin was ranked the best place to live in the United States. We have a strong job market, insufferably hot weather, and a car vending machine. What do your towns have?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:53 am

A red panda escaped from the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk two weeks ago and continues to elude capture. Norfolk is an urban area almost completely surrounded by water and apparently this brightly-colored exotic animal has been able to blend in so seamlessly that they've called off the search. The zookeeper seems to think she'll be fine unless she gets hit by a car.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Arkyle » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:51 pm

I think this sums up our State of the Nation address very well.

EDIT: For the record, that screenshot is from the official sign language interpreter doing a very stoic job of translating the actual speech of attendees.

Last edited by Arkyle on Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Florida continues to be Florida

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Arkyle » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:08 pm

That is just awesome. It can only be improved with video evidence that he can actually drive that thing...

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Arkyle wrote:That is just awesome. It can only be improved with video evidence that he can actually drive that thing...

No, but she did go to court to argue that she was allowed to keep it as a pet.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:22 pm

I'm surprised that she didn't go to court to argue that it was her husband and/or adopted child. You disappoint me, Florida Woman.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Albatross727 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:25 am

That's not actually an alligator, it's her highschool boyfriend. Meth - not even once.

In other news...

The UK is shutting down its inquiry into abuse by the armed forces in Iraq.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38937053

The operation was described as an 'unmitigated failure' by MPs for bringing thousands of dubious allegations against service personnel without securing a single conviction. Most of the cases were brought by a single law firm which is now defunct, and one of its lawyers was struck off for misconduct.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38841544

My own feelings on this are that while there does seem to have been something of the so-called claims culture seeping into the inquiry, and the lack of convictions makes it an objective failure, I'm always uncomfortable with the kind of rhetoric that comes out when this issue is raised, that at times veers close to claiming that veterans are above the law. Maybe it's easy for me to say that from the comfort of my bedroom, having never served in armed conflict, but at the end of the day war crimes are war crimes, surely.

I didn't choose the furry life, the furry life chose me.
Albatross727
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: TCS Birdmaster General

Postby cmsellers » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:50 pm

A couple were arrested for engaging in a lewd act at Texas's only publicly-owned, clothing-optional park. Interestingly, the article does a very good job of implying that the lewd act was a handjob without actually describing the lewd act.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:03 pm

The couple were "seated very closely to each other" and "were kissing intensely," the affidavit states, adding that there are numerous signs posted throughout the park which say: "NO LEWD ACTS IN PUBLIC."
When the officer approached the couple and asked if they knew why, Hamilton said: "Because we were doing a lewd act."

I don't know why I find this so funny.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Absentia » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Headline: Members of Congress want to know "how a game of Pokémon Go turned into a fatal shooting"

So last month, a 60-year old Chinese-American man was shot while sitting in his car outside of a club (not a dance club, more like an Elks Lodge kind of deal) in Chesapeake, eight miles from my house. According to his family, he was playing Pokemon Go and this joint is/was a Pokestop. Apparently there was an armed security guard there who decided he looked suspicious and confronted him. I assume you can infer the rest of the story: guard shoots apparently innocent minority, guard says it was self defense, victim had no weapon on him, people start asking whether an unarmed 60 year old man sitting in his car could really have been that much of a threat. Police are investigating, but a couple of estimable local Congressmen (and one from New York for some reason) have taken the opportunity to get some good press by releasing a statement calling for an investigation (which is already happening) and better police training (without proposing to offer any funds).

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:42 pm

cmsellers wrote:What do your towns have?

Otters apparently. Oh and a seal that just won't take no for an answer.

I used to work with the guy with the chair. Pffft, fame has changed him!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:20 pm

D-LOGAN wrote:
cmsellers wrote:What do your towns have?

Otters apparently. Oh and a seal that just won't take no for an answer.

I tried to watch the video, but kept getting distracted by the cars that were parked facing each other.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

PreviousNext